New Cobra Driver? - Is Orange The Next White

• SPY VIP

Looks like Cobra has applied for a new trademark for the color Orange on the crown of their clubs. Think orange would be as big of a hit as white was?

cobra-orange-trademark.gif

#TruthDigest

I don't know if it will be as big as a hit, but it will have the same effect. People would see the orange driver from a distance and be able to know its a Cobra driver. I'm just curious to see what shade of orange. Are we talking Rickie Fowler Oklahoma State Orange?

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

I don't think it will be as hot as TM's white drivers.

1. TM surprised the market by being the first one.

2. White probably has a higher acceptance rate amongst golfers of all ages. Orange could be too bright for seniors or too manly for ladies.

But I personally would bag it. I love the looks of the AMP!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Can they legally trademark a color? I mean, would that actually hold up if challenged? Seems it would be like Chevy trademarking a pink truck.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, so.......

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Can they legally trademark a color? I mean, would that actually hold up if challenged? Seems it would be like Chevy trademarking a pink truck.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, so.......

Just thinking out loud and don't hold me to this one but I believe Tiffany's has that blue that comes on that jewelry box the angry woman I live with loves so dearly and I think that Mary Kay cosmetics has a similar deal with the pink on the special edition Cadillacs they give to execs or top reps or whatever the hell is it those people do. If that's the case, I can't see where Cobra wouldn't trademark a specific shade of orange based on a particular tint mixture. Still seems like a random thing to trademark though. Does that mean my new box of crayons will have Amp Orange or Fowler Orange as one of the options? Only time will Tell. Kinda makes me wonder now if Srixon has the tint for their Tour Yellow locked down...

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

Just thinking out loud and don't hold me to this one but I believe Tiffany's has that blue that comes on that jewelry box the angry woman I live with loves so dearly and I think that Mary Kay cosmetics has a similar deal with the pink on the special edition Cadillacs they give to execs or top reps or whatever the hell is it those people do. If that's the case, I can't see where Cobra wouldn't trademark a specific shade of orange based on a particular tint mixture. Still seems like a random thing to trademark though. Does that mean my new box of crayons will have Amp Orange or Fowler Orange as one of the options? Only time will Tell. Kinda makes me wonder now if Srixon has the tint for their Tour Yellow locked down...

This is true, Tiffany's does have Robin Egg Blue on lockdown.

And the move is smart, they're running with their flagship player's color, OSU Cowboys orange.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I wasn't old enough to know how well they sold, but Taylormade did orange on the burner firesoles back in the day, so orange on a driver/fairway isn't exactly something groundbreaking and original.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

Don't have a problem with any color on a club -- black, white, pink, blue, purple...if it's a club I can whack with authority I'm not sure the color would keep me from bagging it, although my eye does prefer a traditional look.

That said, colors create a brand identity and image and orange is pretty bold. Looks like that's the image they're going after, so good luck to 'em.

I'm playing Mashie hybrids and it took all of three bombs with the M3 for me to learn to ignore completely the "unfinished" look of the head.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I wasn't old enough to know how well they sold, but Taylormade did orange on the burner firesoles back in the day, so orange on a driver/fairway isn't exactly something groundbreaking and original.

Hey now, I still have an original Burner with the Bubble Shaft(how was that for a gimmick by the way?) and a set of the Firesole irons with matching stand bag sitting in the corner as my backup set/lovely babies/first set I can't let go of. And yes I will occasionally still pull the irons out of retirement love those clubs. But is was also more of a copperish orange color that I'd say would still look pretty sweet on a club. Now that I think of it, wonder if I could get my RBZ redone in that shade? Off to the internets for research. Granted if it can be locked up, I'd say Taylormade but a vice grip on that particular shade a long time ago.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

Colored clubs will be and are already starting to be, all the rage, especially with the younger players coming. A natural move for Cobra, Ricky is a marketing machine, cash in on it.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I don't think it will be as hot as TM's white drivers.

1. TM surprised the market by being the first one.

2. White probably has a higher acceptance rate amongst golfers of all ages. Orange could be too bright for seniors or too manly for ladies.

But I personally would bag it. I love the looks of the AMP!

Although TM wasn't the first one with a white driver on the market. But TM marketed it well, which they do with pretty much everything.

Orange is a much more love it or hate it color. You are seeing that with the AMP line. Though the clubs are quite good, there is a lot of anti-orange sentiment about them. I don't see this working well if the crown is orange, but I have no problems with a company trying to be different.

Archived