Testers Announced! Vokey SM10 Wedges! ×

Help choosing next set of clubs

Hi all!

I am roughly a 13 handicap and am looking at upgrading my clubs a bit. What is a used set I should look into getting?

For context, I am a former D1 basketball player who after about a ten year break from playing golf, started playing again in 2021. I shot my first 80 a couple weeks ago but typically shoot in the mid to high 80s. I currently play some Cobra Oversized irons from 1994 which I believe are a +1 (I'm 6'6"). Now that I'm getting a little bit better at golf, I'm looking to upgrade my irons to help improve my game. My constraint is that I am also just married and our budget doesn't quite allow for getting fitted for new irons haha. So I'm looking to spend less than $400 as I will have to likely regrip when getting  my extensions put in which will cost an extra $100ish. Distance is not a big issue for me as my gapping is as follows:

52: 120yds

PW: 140yds

9i: 155yds

rest of irons are roughly 15yds gap. 

I've been doing a lot of research and am not sure if I should look for more of a game improvement iron or a mix between game improvement and players iron. I like the idea of GI irons being more forgiving but also I feel like just about anything with more modern technology will take care of that so I should look for more of an iron that I can grow into? It seems like Mizuno's and Srixon's are what land in my budget and needs. I am very intrigued by the MP-59s but got a little scared when people say they are not super forgiving. The JPX series (825, 850s) which come in pro/forged versions are also intriguing. Srixon Zx5's look really good but are overbudget but I'm wondering if there is a different Srixon model that would fit my needs? I am open to the main brands too but just don't know if there are any Callaway, Titlest, or TaylorMades that fit into my budget. 

What do you guys suggest for clubs as well as, what are peoples opinion on buying off Ebay?

Thanks in advance!

I will say i dont know where you are located but alot of the places around me the fitting is free with purchase of clubs..... I hit a game improvement iron ( ping g710s) and i will say i love them they are great but what you give to get that forgiveness in my opinion is shot shaping i have to try harder to hit a draw or a fade when the course needs it because the clubs are designed for forgiveness so they go strait so it really comes down to what you want from your clubs which is why i suggest getting fitted. Also if you are hitting that old of clubs even clubs that are 2-3 years old will be a major improvement and not hurt that wallet so bad 

Ogio bag

Driver: Cobra LTDX

3 wood: PING 425 max

Irons 5-U : PING G710s

52 bent to 51 vokey 

54: vokey 

58 degree: Callaway jaws 

putter: Wilson harmonized v2 / testing   Odessy AI- ONE Double Wide    

Evan - 

I've been a fitter for 10 years and have seen lots of golfer like yourself that are good athletes getting back into the game after a long layoff and needing and wanting new/different  clubs on a budget.

Lots of thoughts come to mind so I'll bullet point to try to be brief - 

1. You can fit yourself in a basic way by doing a 
static fitting" which is measuring your height with shoes on and your left wrist to floor. Then using the PING fitting chart found on their website your will determine the suggested length and lie of your clubs. PING states that the static and Dynamic fitting match 99% of the time.

2. Get some iron impact tape or foot spray and hit your 7 iron to see if you consistently hit in the same spot on the club, center hosel, or toe - or if you are all over the face. 

3. A consistent hosel or toe strike means a further adjustment to club length may be beneficial. (hosel- club too long, toe- club too short. Full ball width away from center is  one inch long or short, half ball width is 1/2 inch long/short.

4. If you are all over the face a game improvement (at least) or super game improvement or even ultra game improvement club should benefit your game.

5. To my knowledge, The terms game improvement, super game improvement and so on come from and originated with the Ralph Maltby system of measuring club head characteristics based on their intrinsic design and therefore their inherent "playability" or forgiveness. These numbers can be found on the GOLFWORKS website and will provide a great guide for determining a clubs true playability. I hope the forum doesn't go nuts over this item - the Maltby numbers (MPF) are a great GUIDE - not Gospel - there are nuances that the MPF may not account for but again, excellent guidance.

6. Next comes shaft - based on your size and athletic ability - you likely need a stiff flex shaft and would be able to handle and benefit from a heavier shaft as well. Without getting way into the weeds here of shaft fitting, a standard True Temper S300 shaft should work for you - or something very comparable by KBS or Nippon.

&. Regarding club heads - In my experience I find the Srixon Z5, and even the Z4 to be not very forgiving, but if you center strike frequently - then OK. Mizuno JPX 825 are game improvement, JPX 850 super game improvement (I have sets of each).  The JPX forged and MP series clubs of any model are basically MPF "players" clubs. I have played many of them, and when I'm striking the ball center and using the correct shaft for my swing (reg flex, mid-high to high trajectory) - they perform as well as anything I've used and very few clubs match Mizuno feel. Mizuno MP-62, JPX 850 forged work.

9. Other clubs for you assuming you're near center of face - Titleist AP2 714, 716, or 718 (numbers refer to the year of production). 

10 If you need more forgiveness then Callaway Mavrik, Cobra LTDx, Cleveland CBX or UHX, and Wilson C series are my suggestions.

Hope this helps

Flash

I understand your budget issues, but just going by what people suggest could be throwing money away. You can get fit for irons for around $100 or zero if you purchase some clubs. You don't have to purchase new clubs to get fit.

I would suggest that you get fit to find out what length and lie angle clubs you need. Once you get that information then you can start shopping online or looking at used clubs. You can purchase used clubs online @ https://www.2ndswing.com/, https://www.globalgolf.com/golf-clubs/used/, https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/pre-owned-golf-clubs/, https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/, https://www.3balls.com/shop/used-clubs/. and e-bay.

I know 2nd swing and maybe others will allow you to purchase clubs and return them with just paying shipping cost. A lot of options out there at reasonable cost, but you need your specs.

GMFlash had some excellent points.

Edited by GaDawg

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Evan,

I have used many irons and after talking to an ex-tour player I went and got fitted. I took the information to the PGA store and hit a number of irons that were fit to my size. In the end the Calloway Paradise were the longest and most forgiving. I bout a used set 5 iron through the A Wedge for 500.00. Since I have added the Raw jaws 60 and 56 wedges. I have dropped my handicap to a 7 from an 11. They are the best I have ever played.

Leo B.

77 year old who has been playing since I was 9. My best handicap years were 4. I now play to 9. Age is a b---h and then you die...

On 9/26/2023 at 7:20 PM, GaDawg said:

I understand your budget issues, but just going by what people suggest could be throwing money away. You can get fit for irons for around $100 or zero if you purchase some clubs. You don't have to purchase new clubs to get fit.

I would suggest that you get fit to find out what length and lie angle clubs you need. Once you get that information then you can start shopping online or looking at used clubs. You can purchase used clubs online @ https://www.2ndswing.com/, https://www.globalgolf.com/golf-clubs/used/, https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/pre-owned-golf-clubs/, https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/, https://www.3balls.com/shop/used-clubs/. and e-bay.

I know 2nd swing and maybe others will allow you to purchase clubs and return them with just paying shipping cost. A lot of options out there at reasonable cost, but you need your specs.

GMFlash had some excellent points.

I was coming in to recommend a 2nd Swing fitting and then a club purchase from them.  It's not the cheapest option out there, but it's probably the cheapest way to combine a really solid Trackman fitting with a club purchase.  I know they had hundreds of drivers and fairway woods across all brands, and probably close to 100 set of irons in various different models / categories, some of which were already +1 and fit me well.  I'm 6'4" with relatively shorter arms for my height, so I need pretty close to the same length as you likely do at 6'6".

• Callaway Epic Flash Tour Certified - 8.5° with MCA Tensei Raw AV White 70 Gram Tour X - Tipped 1" - Set to N / -1
  • Callaway AiSmoke Triple Diamond - 15° 3-wood - Project X Denali 6.5 flex shaft - Set to N/S
  • Titleist TS2 Hybrid (18°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X shaft - C1 setting
  • Taylormade P7MC (2020) Irons - 4-9 (Standard L/L) with Tour Issue X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Taylormade MG4 48.09SB TI X100 and 52.09SB / 56.12SB / 60.07LBV wedges with DG TI Onyx Black X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Golf Pride ZGRIP Plus2 on irons and wedges (plus fairway) / Lamkin ST Hybrid Midsize on Driver / Hybrid
  • Sik DW (2.0) C Series Putter in black finish (36") with Sik Golf Black Pistol
  • Balls: Mostly Maxfli Tour