9 hole course membership

My local club thats 15 mins from me is a 9 hole course. Is it worth it to Join? I've figured it up and it would save me over 100 bucks a month. The course can be played as 18 as it has 2 sets of Tees and some holes play as both 4/3 and 5/4 depending on Tees you play. I do play 90% of my Golf there. Monthly dues are 110 plus cart fee of 8/15. 

17 minutes ago, Shortknocker said:

My local club thats 15 mins from me is a 9 hole course. Is it worth it to Join? I've figured it up and it would save me over 100 bucks a month. The course can be played as 18 as it has 2 sets of Tees and some holes play as both 4/3 and 5/4 depending on Tees you play. I do play 90% of my Golf there. Monthly dues are 110 plus cart fee of 8/15. 

Seems like a no-brainer at that cost and the savings pay for itself. If you like the course that much already and the math checks out, it seems like a win-win. Sounds like they have already set it up to where you can mix and match the course to keep it fresh.  $0.02 😃 good luck on your decision though

Edited by Stereotype

Driver:   :cobra-small: King F8 9.5D w/Motore X1 x-stiff
Fairway:  :cobra-small: King F8 3 wood  
Hybrids:   :cobra-small: King F9 3 hybrid 19.5° Fujikura Atmos 7s stiff      
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F8 5-PW true temper XP 90 stiff 
Wedges: :callaway-small: 48° (10) Mack Daddy 4 S grind, :taylormade-small: 52° (09) Hi-Toe, :taylormade-small:56° (09) Milled Grind, :taylormade-small:60° (10) MG2 
Putter:    :Sub70: 004 Mallet w/ SuperStroke Zynergy 5.0

Ball: :vice: Pro (white & drip)

10 minutes ago, Stereotype said:

Seems like a no-brainer at that cost and the savings pay for itself. If you like the course that much already and the math checks out, it seems like a win-win. Sounds like they have already set it up to where you can mix and match the course to keep it fresh.  $0.02 😃 good luck on your decision though

The only thing is once you hit off the Tee regardless of which ones the rest of the hole is the same. 

I would say, absolutely!  We have a 9 hole about 10 min from my house and it is a fun little track.  If it were that price, I would sign up in a second!  It's nicer than my home course, well the greens are in much better shape.  It's a shorter track but the fairways are narrow and you have to hit solid iron shots.  

1 hour ago, Shortknocker said:

The only thing is once you hit off the Tee regardless of which ones the rest of the hole is the same. 

It's the same as playing an 18 hole course over and over again.  It sounds like you play there most of the time anyways.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

17 minutes ago, jdparker said:

I would say, absolutely!  We have a 9 hole about 10 min from my house and it is a fun little track.  If it were that price, I would sign up in a second!  It's nicer than my home course, well the greens are in much better shape.  It's a shorter track but the fairways are narrow and you have to hit solid iron shots.  

It's the same as playing an 18 hole course over and over again.  It sounds like you play there most of the time anyways.  

This course is Short as well. If you play the 18 it's like 5800yds but you better hit the fairways cause you will not find your ball in the rough! It has the Diamond Zoyzia greens so they never get beat up and they roll pretty awesome. The only thing that worries me is how much I'd get to play through the Winter. Now I do live in upstate SC so for most part we have a lot of mid 40s to 50 days but it can get cold in the 30s during day as well. Through the summer I spend around 460 month Green and cart. As a member the same amount of play with member dues and cart around 340. So there's definitely a nice money savings there. It just doesn't come with any perks other than tournament discounts, priority Tee Times which through the week don't need them (the course is wide open). I play through the week. And they allow you to charge so carts fees can be charged and the whole total bill be paid once a month.

HERES THE KICKER... A Big nice new clubhouse is being started with restaurant, fitness center, coffee shop, pro shop. Also construction is underway for a lighted par 3 course. I have been told that member dues will go up once this is completed but not sure how much. Current members will get a grandfathered discount. 

16 minutes ago, Shortknocker said:

This course is Short as well. If you play the 18 it's like 5800yds but you better hit the fairways cause you will not find your ball in the rough! It has the Diamond Zoyzia greens so they never get beat up and they roll pretty awesome. The only thing that worries me is how much I'd get to play through the Winter. Now I do live in upstate SC so for most part we have a lot of mid 40s to 50 days but it can get cold in the 30s during day as well. Through the summer I spend around 460 month Green and cart. As a member the same amount of play with member dues and cart around 340. So there's definitely a nice money savings there. It just doesn't come with any perks other than tournament discounts, priority Tee Times which through the week don't need them (the course is wide open). I play through the week. And they allow you to charge so carts fees can be charged and the whole total bill be paid once a month.

HERES THE KICKER... A Big nice new clubhouse is being started with restaurant, fitness center, coffee shop, pro shop. Also construction is underway for a lighted par 3 course. I have been told that member dues will go up once this is completed but not sure how much. Current members will get a grandfathered discount. 

The 9 hole here is about the same distance.  I hit driver on the par 5 and that's it.  It does allow you to really work on clean iron shots though and I feel like it helps my play overall.

Sounds like if you get in now you may get a cheaper rate once the updates are complete.  I am not one for any additional perks really and as long as I can go play with ease, the course is in good shape and I can afford it, thats really all I look for.  There are so many courses around town that I can go play the one offs with friends.  

The course photos look great!  

7 minutes ago, jdparker said:

The 9 hole here is about the same distance.  I hit driver on the par 5 and that's it.  It does allow you to really work on clean iron shots though and I feel like it helps my play overall.

Sounds like if you get in now you may get a cheaper rate once the updates are complete.  I am not one for any additional perks really and as long as I can go play with ease, the course is in good shape and I can afford it, thats really all I look for.  There are so many courses around town that I can go play the one offs with friends.  

The course photos look great!  

Well the rates will actually go up but current members will get a discount over new members once all the updates are done. The course is actually in real good shape. I hit driver on about all the holes but I only have wedges into the holes. Now if I wanted to work on hitting longer irons, then I could drop back to irons and 5w off the Tees. There's a couple long par 3s (220, 180). Few long par 4s. I just love have the wide open course through the week. Man I turned the 2nd 9 other day and there was 3 cars in parking lot and I never seen those players, just had the course to myself. Now after people gets off work and on weekends it's very crowded. 

5 minutes ago, Shortknocker said:

Well the rates will actually go up but current members will get a discount over new members once all the updates are done. The course is actually in real good shape. I hit driver on about all the holes but I only have wedges into the holes. Now if I wanted to work on hitting longer irons, then I could drop back to irons and 5w off the Tees. There's a couple long par 3s (220, 180). Few long par 4s. I just love have the wide open course through the week. Man I turned the 2nd 9 other day and there was 3 cars in parking lot and I never seen those players, just had the course to myself. Now after people gets off work and on weekends it's very crowded. 

That is the only downside to 9 hole courses.  Weekend play is almost out of the question but if you have the ability to play during the week it's great. 

The 9 hole course I used to play just closed permanently. Also a shorter track, par 35. Could always get a tee time and walk for $19. Now it will be tract homes. Really sad - it was a nice complement to the crowded 18-hole courses in the area. If you enjoy playing it and it will save money and give you extra perks, seems like a no-brainer! 

PXG 0211 driver, 5w, 6i-PW, GW, SW; Titleist H1 4h; Odyssey White Hot mallet.

7 hours ago, Shortknocker said:

Well I pulled the trigger today and Joined. I sure hope I made the right decision, which I think I did as long as I can play at least twice a week through the Winter. Spring and summer no issues. Winter time play is where I worry about it.

Congrats!  Enjoy it. 

On 9/28/2023 at 5:14 PM, Shortknocker said:

Not really. You would be playing different clubs going to the green. I play a club like that up here in SW MN and it's a fun course. If it were a little closer I join. As it is I pay there maybe once per month. Most of the courses up here are 9 holers. Most of the towns around here are small enough that they wouldn't be able to support an 18 hole course. The only 18 hole courses are about 45 minutes from me at least. I would say the deciding factor would likely be how well kept up is the course you're considering.

7 hours ago, golfmule said:

Not really. You would be playing different clubs going to the green. I play a club like that up here in SW MN and it's a fun course. If it were a little closer I join. As it is I pay there maybe once per month. Most of the courses up here are 9 holers. Most of the towns around here are small enough that they wouldn't be able to support an 18 hole course. The only 18 hole courses are about 45 minutes from me at least. I would say the deciding factor would likely be how well kept up is the course you're considering.

It is very well kept. The only part that gets beat up bad are the Par 3 Tee Boxes. There's not a lot of grass on those. But Fairways and Greens are in great shape!

10 hours ago, TacSKS said:

If you want to change it up, play the first 9 from your usual tee (or the tips) and the second 9 from the front tees.  Should mix it up a little.

Well basically that's the way it is setup already. You play the blue Tees (Front 9 35 par). Then you play the orange Tees (Back 9 36 par). They do have a set of Yellow (Senior Tees) that is little further up. I have played the first 9 from as far back of the Tee boxes as I can get now that lengthens the course quite a bit

25 minutes ago, Shortknocker said:

Well basically that's the way it is setup already. You play the blue Tees (Front 9 35 par). Then you play the orange Tees (Back 9 36 par). They do have a set of Yellow (Senior Tees) that is little further up. I have played the first 9 from as far back of the Tee boxes as I can get now that lengthens the course quite a bit

I agree with several folks.  Play from the different tee boxes or play just irons.  It's just like any 18 hole course.  The holes are always the same on that course.  You can change up what/how you play and it will teach you new things about your game.  

@Shortknocker congrats. It sounds like the right decision and the additional amenities when they’re completed will be great. I completely agree that you can get a lot of practice in by switching up tee boxes.  Where I play has four different boxes, and if the course is quiet I’ll play from different places. You get a completely different look and approach to the holes. It will keep your game sharp. Plus, how else do I get a chance to drive the green on a par four! 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

29 minutes ago, Hacker60521 said:

@Shortknocker congrats. It sounds like the right decision and the additional amenities when they’re completed will be great. I completely agree that you can get a lot of practice in by switching up tee boxes.  Where I play has four different boxes, and if the course is quiet I’ll play from different places. You get a completely different look and approach to the holes. It will keep your game sharp. Plus, how else do I get a chance to drive the green on a par four! 

I agree with all this Except I still can't drive them LOL!!!