Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Getting fitted for putters?

HAC

I would like a mallet putter but I don't have a straight back and through putting stroke.  Most mallet putters are face balanced and, through experience, I am not sure they are right for me.  I have seen when I got fit for PXG hybrids recently that with PXG putters that it possible to put different types of shafts on each of the putters that they make.  I also have been told by one of the pros at my club that with Calloway putters this type of interchangeability is not available - that I can only choose between the options that they make and sell for different putters - being lefthanded, for me this is a much smaller set of options than for you right-handed guys.

Which is more typical?  When I look at the big box stores, there just seem to be a fixed number of putter options - a small number for left handed golfers.  Are there other putter companies (possibly some of the major ones where I can actually find the putters) where I can get fit like with the PXG putters?  At the big box stores?  At smaller fitters?   [Please don't recommend Club Champion.  I once looked there and their options for left handers was pitiful.]  

Or, should I just be thankful PXG has what they have and run there and get fitted - they have a fitting place about 1 hour from my house.  

Thanks for any help.  

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • image.png.e5dbe8fedd098b46b3fda77752b5beae.png MG4 56.12 with Fujikura Ventus TR Blue Flex: R
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

image.png

image.png

Lots of companies will offer mallets with different necks that can accommodate your stroke. 

Sorry can't help you with a store as I am not US based, but if you're looking for a truly awesome fitting check out Edel fitters near you. Evnroll is another company with the V Series that offer a lot of options. 

Not sure of they have specialized fitters or not.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, HAC said:

I would like a mallet putter but I don't have a straight back and through putting stroke.  Most mallet putters are face balanced and, through experience, I am not sure they are right for me.  I have seen when I got fit for PXG hybrids recently that with PXG putters that it possible to put different types of shafts on each of the putters that they make.  I also have been told by one of the pros at my club that with Calloway putters this type of interchangeability is not available - that I can only choose between the options that they make and sell for different putters - being lefthanded, for me this is a much smaller set of options than for you right-handed guys.

Which is more typical?  When I look at the big box stores, there just seem to be a fixed number of putter options - a small number for left handed golfers.  Are there other putter companies (possibly some of the major ones where I can actually find the putters) where I can get fit like with the PXG putters?  At the big box stores?  At smaller fitters?   [Please don't recommend Club Champion.  I once looked there and their options for left handers was pitiful.]  

Or, should I just be thankful PXG has what they have and run there and get fitted - they have a fitting place about 1 hour from my house.  

Thanks for any help.  

Here's my opinion.   

Lets start with your statements:

• You think you have a SBST stroke.  Unless you manipulate your hands and arms the putter will arc during the stroke.  The arc will typically be smaller the closer you are to the ball.  It is an myth that FB is best for a stroke with less arc and toe hang for an arcing stroke;  like full swing clubs you need to figure out what works for you;  that is the purpose of a fitting.  
  • today most mallets come in a face balanced and some type of slant neck/single bend configuration that has some toe hang.   
  • When you say different shaft,  I think you mean different hosels.   Odyssey typically offers a double bend and a slant neck configuration for their mallet putters. 
  • Unfortunately, left hand clubs are harder to find.   OEMs make fewer of them that right handed options. 

Good putter fittings in general are not that common and just because a fitter can fit full swing clubs doesn't mean they understand the nuances of putter fitting.   Most major OEMs don't offer fittings for putters at demo days; titleist might be the one exception. 

You are obviously anti CC.  If we were to ignore the left hand situation; which will be something you need to ask about before scheduling a fitting, what do you think the fitting should be like?  What do you think a PXG putter fitting is like?    what your expectations are because many people are underwhelmed by a putter fitting because it doesn't seem to take long enough and I  rolled 5 or 6 putts and they gave me a putter.   What would your response be if they said your current putter just needs some tweaks.   I ask because most fitting processes that use Quintic, Puttlab, Capto, etc. have you roll putts and then give you a putter that "corrects" the issue it sees......rotation, loft, and lie.    Edel is probably your best option from a comprehensive fitting process.  Seemore does putter fittings.  LAB does fittings.  For brand agnostic Tour Spec would be an option.   We don't know where you live so it is not possible to give you names of smaller local fitters.    The best fitting I ever has was with Bruce Rearick of Burnt Edges Consulting; he is a putting coach not just a fitter,  but it was a process I did virtually that took about 6 months that identified visual requirements, how I wanted to power the stroke,  stroke tendencies, and then the type of putter that I should look for;  it wasn't about identifying a specific putter.  

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Depending on budget, I would explore LAB putters (they are expensive). I am biased as I own two of them currently (Mezz Max and Link) but I do feel more confident standing over the ball than I have in probably my whole life.

They offer a free remote fitting option (send a short video of your current putter stroke) that they use to provide you with optimal putter length and lie angle.

Many PGA Superstores carry stock and “stock custom” putters in all of their models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB:

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS Driver 10.5* (1* strong) with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS 5 Wood with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Untitled2.png.80d892461ed08eaa7fe955b28995d7e9.png Ping G430 22* Hybrid with HZRDUS Smoke Red 80g 6.0 shaft

Untitled.png.5ecdabcbb4b233d7651619da934c3a6a.png Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-PW with KBS Tour Light R shafts

Edison.png.1b14460d57753ae667327c0f7d3399a9.png Edison 2.0 Wedges 51° 55° 59° with KBS Tour 110 R shafts

image.png.a072db0e36674771c57e6581a9a7be30.png L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 MAX with LAB x Accra shaft

7 hours ago, DRLEONARD58 said:

Depending on budget, I would explore LAB putters (they are expensive). I am biased as I own two of them currently (Mezz Max and Link) but I do feel more confident standing over the ball than I have in probably my whole life.

They offer a free remote fitting option (send a short video of your current putter stroke) that they use to provide you with optimal putter length and lie angle.

Many PGA Superstores carry stock and “stock custom” putters in all of their models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am all about LAB putters but the stores aren't going to carry left handed. I checked prior to ordering mine because I was hoping to not have to wait 6 weeks.  

That is the biggest challenge with most clubs is being lefty your options are limited. 

@HAC I took the chance with LAB and am glad that I did but I had been looking at them for a while. I personally prefer center shafted putters and used a ping doc17 ugly putter for years.

As for fittings, other than what a few folks have said, it may just be a lot of research.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

17 minutes ago, jdparker said:

I am all about LAB putters but the stores aren't going to carry left handed. I checked prior to ordering mine because I was hoping to not have to wait 6 weeks.  

That is the biggest challenge with most clubs is being lefty your options are limited. 

@HAC I took the chance with LAB and am glad that I did but I had been looking at them for a while. I personally prefer center shafted putters and used a ping doc17 ugly putter for years.

As for fittings, other than what a few folks have said, it may just be a lot of research.  

Don't even know if I prefer or hate center shafted putters.  Have never seen a left-handed one.

•  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • image.png.e5dbe8fedd098b46b3fda77752b5beae.png MG4 56.12 with Fujikura Ventus TR Blue Flex: R

image.png

image.png

8 minutes ago, HAC said:

Don't even know if I prefer or hate center shafted putters.  Have never seen a left-handed one.

I would suggest sending in a video to LAB and seeing what they say.  It's free.  Of course I am biased a bit after owning one, but they take so much out of a putting stroke and makes it easier.

I will say it took some time to get used to and understand that you don't have to force the stroke but I am putting good with it and it reminds me of the ping. 

I know being a lefty makes it very difficult and the options at most stores are super limited. 

13 minutes ago, jdparker said:

I would suggest sending in a video to LAB and seeing what they say.  It's free.  Of course I am biased a bit after owning one, but they take so much out of a putting stroke and makes it easier.

I will say it took some time to get used to and understand that you don't have to force the stroke but I am putting good with it and it reminds me of the ping. 

I know being a lefty makes it very difficult and the options at most stores are super limited. 

I can see paying the price of a LAB putter if I got to try it and knew that I loved it but it is hard to do that when I have not tried one or even tried any center shafted putter.  Which LAB putter do you own.

Edited by HAC

image.png

image.png

6 minutes ago, HAC said:

I can see paying the price of a LAB putter if I got to try it and knew that I loved it but it is hard to do that when I have not tried one or even tried any center shafted putter.  Which LAB putter do you own.

I hear you and was nervous spending that much myself. I have the DF2.1.  I have putted right handed before between the LAB and Ping so I did hit up golf galaxy and at least put my hands on the 3 models to try it. I know that may not apply to everyone but it gave me the chance to at least see the quality.

I told them when I sent in my video what putter I liked and what I preferred to play and they responded with in 24hrs.  

I have had two fittings for putters, one at club champion and one at truespec.  Both showed some good data.  Truespecs putter fitting was much more accurate.  Club champion gives you a reading of what type of putter you should use, then you try them out.  Truespec makes you try different types until the numbers show which is best.  I would really lean to getting a proper fitting at a truespec location.

🙃

On 10/8/2023 at 5:12 AM, Owengeorge13 said:

I have had two fittings for putters, one at club champion and one at truespec.  Both showed some good data.  Truespecs putter fitting was much more accurate.  Club champion gives you a reading of what type of putter you should use, then you try them out.  Truespec makes you try different types until the numbers show which is best.  I would really lean to getting a proper fitting at a truespec location.

@Owengeorge13 to echo what you said. I’ve done full bag fittings at both Club Champion and at TrueSpec. The TrueSpec fitting was so much better than CC. In fact I ended up buying fitted irons / wedges from TrueSpec.  I didn’t buy Driver / woods / hybrids at the time because they couldn’t find a better match than what I’m playing.  That said, I’m definitely considering a fitting with either TrueSpec or Bettinardi. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

On 10/7/2023 at 9:07 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Lots of companies will offer mallets with different necks that can accommodate your stroke. 

Sorry can't help you with a store as I am not US based, but if you're looking for a truly awesome fitting check out Edel fitters near you. Evnroll is another company with the V Series that offer a lot of options. 

Not sure of they have specialized fitters or not.

According to their website, Edel does not make Left handed putters.

image.png

image.png

Just now, HAC said:

According to their website, Edel does not make Left handed putters.

That is correct (as a fellow lefty) they do not have LH options unfortunately.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Subtracting the hard push to buy a new putter and other issues with CC fitting and follow up, I walked away with a lot from my fitting.  I always wondered why I tended to migrate to mallet style when looking for new putters?  The PuttLab data and suggestions demonstrated why based on my putting stroke.  With that knowledge, I was able to start down the path of finding the right putter for me versus guessing at a golf retail establishment.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

On 10/13/2023 at 8:59 AM, Golf2Much said:

Subtracting the hard push to buy a new putter and other issues with CC fitting and follow up, I walked away with a lot from my fitting.  I always wondered why I tended to migrate to mallet style when looking for new putters?  The PuttLab data and suggestions demonstrated why based on my putting stroke.  With that knowledge, I was able to start down the path of finding the right putter for me versus guessing at a golf retail establishment.  

Here is where I am right now.  I have a light arc putting stroke and seem to like a plumbers neck shaft.  But, I also llike a mallet putter.   Cannot find too many of these off the shelf.  Saw one by TaylorMade but did not seem to like putting it.  Some companies have putters where you can mix and match heads and shafts (and get fitted for them) but the only one I see that does so for left-handed persons like myself is PXG.  Might go for PXG (they have a fitting place about an hour from my house) but thought I would come here to see if there are other options.  I have seen so are Edel and Evnroll suggested, and they would be great if I were right-handed.  But, I am not and they don't offer this to a left-handed player.  A couple of people suggested LAB, but from everything I have read center-shafter putters work best for people with straight-back, straightforward putting strokes.  I could get fitted for a LAB putter on line, but cannot try one because the stores locally that stock LAB putters don't stock them in left-handed putters.

So, my options for getting fitted where I can get a head AND shaft that work best for me seem to be limited to PXG.  

Edited by HAC

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, HAC said:

Here is where I am right now.  I have a light arc putting stroke and seem to like a plumbers neck shaft.  But, I also llike a mallet putter.   Cannot find too many of these off the shelf.  Saw one by TaylorMade but did not seem to like putting it.  Some companies have putters where you can mix and match heads and shafts (and get fitted for them) but the only one I see that does so for left-handed persons like myself is PXG.  Might go for PXG (they have a fitting place about an hour from my house) but thought I would come here to see if there are other options.  I have seen so are Edel and Evnroll suggested, and they would be great if I were right-handed.  But, I am not and they don't offer this to a left-handed player.  A couple of people suggested LAB, but from everything I have read center-shafter putters work best for people with straight-back, straightforward putting strokes.  I could get fitted for a LAB putter on line, but cannot try one because the stores locally that stock LAB putters don't stock them in left-handed putters.

So, my options for getting fitted where I can get a head AND shaft that work best for me seem to be limited to PXG.  

Plumbers neck mallets are difficult finds even for right handed golfers.   What you also need to consider is length of plumbers neck since it will influence rotation speed. 

there really is no such thing as SBST putting stroke unless the player is doing some kind of manipulation.  Almost every putting stroke has some degree of arc.   Also, just because a putter is marketed as a slight arc putter doesn’t mean it will work for a slight arc player; a strong arc putter may work better.  

Shaft fitting is a difficult thing with putters.  Most places only have the stock shaft. PXG and Odyssey do have some options but you won’t get to try a LA golf shaft in a PXG putter.   Even right handlers are limited in trying upcharge shafts. 

to me it sounds like you want to try a specific head shape with every possible hosel type which like you said is a limiting factor….even for right handers.  Based on that PXG sounds like where you need to go get fit.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just now, cnosil said:

Plumbers neck mallets are difficult finds even for right handed golfers.   What you also need to consider is length of plumbers neck since it will influence rotation speed. 

there really is no such thing as SBST putting stroke unless the player is doing some kind of manipulation.  Almost every putting stroke has some degree of arc.   Also, just because a putter is marketed as a slight arc putter doesn’t mean it will work for a slight arc player; a strong arc putter may work better.  

Shaft fitting is a difficult thing with putters.  Most places only have the stock shaft. PXG and Odyssey do have some options but you won’t get to try a LA golf shaft in a PXG putter.   Even right handlers are limited in trying upcharge shafts. 

to me it sounds like you want to try a specific head shape with every possible hosel type which like you said is a limiting factor….even for right handers.  Based on that PXG sounds like where you need to go get fit.  

That certainly is where I am leaning.  I know what I think I need but I may be wrong. Frankly, I need help.  I think right now that the only place to get there is with PXG, but I started this thread to see if there are other alternatives.  I recently bought some PXG hybrids that I really like.  While I was there getting fitted, I played around a bit with the putters after the fitting.  I thought what they did was interesting, so I started this thread to help me decide whether to go back to PXG or whether there was another putter company I should consider.  If I were right handed, I really would be thinking about Evnroll, but I am not so this is not a solution.  

image.png

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 7:19 AM, HAC said:

That certainly is where I am leaning.  I know what I think I need but I may be wrong. Frankly, I need help.  I think right now that the only place to get there is with PXG, but I started this thread to see if there are other alternatives.  I recently bought some PXG hybrids that I really like.  While I was there getting fitted, I played around a bit with the putters after the fitting.  I thought what they did was interesting, so I started this thread to help me decide whether to go back to PXG or whether there was another putter company I should consider.  If I were right handed, I really would be thinking about Evnroll, but I am not so this is not a solution.  

It sounds like PXG is your best bet. Ideally, you want a putter fitting where you can test 2 of 3 putting skills (3rd is green reading which is N/A) - aiming/starting the ball on line and distance control. I saw a PXG fit on youtube where everything was to a hole on an indoor green. So the ability to change heads and hosels should provide your best chance at getting the aim and start line piece dialed in. If you know of a certain head weight that works well for you, that will help as well as knowing whether you like counterbalance putters or not. It is possible to adjust this after buying a putter by adding lead tape to the head and a grip that allows counter weights to be added/removed. 

The Edel fitting methodology has you start on aim/start line then adjusts head weight and grip weight (counter balancing) to dial in speed. I don't remember the particulars but I think it was hitting "lag" putts to a string on the ground 15' away. I was lucky I could take the Edel demo putter on an outdoor green and hit 20-40' putts to confirm the head weight as opposed to just using indoor turf which is usually way faster than anything you ever play on. The ability to test speed control is critical in my opinion. Even if I can start other putters on line more consistently than my Edel, I have not found anything to match it's speed control which ends up leading to lower 3-putts, total putts, and better strokes gained: putting. 

Titleist Thursdays are demo days that rotate around courses in large cities and are usually on outdoor ranges. I've seen these occasionally setup with Scotty Cameron putters to try, but not always. This would be your only other option to try a variety of left hand putters prior to an order. I've had other putter fittings on SAM Puttlab and Trackman, I don't consider either of them to be particularly beneficial or always pointing to the correct type of putter. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I highly recommend a Quintic Putter fitting.  They can dial in your current putter (loft and lie) to get less backspin and less launch. Ensuring a earlier roll that helps keep the ball on line.

I had mine at Maple Hill in Grand Rapids Michigan.

Fitters are excellent and don't try to hard sell you on a new putter. 

The technology is amazing and helped my game immediately. 

Lots of lefty putters too.