Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×
2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

Pro Suspended failed drug test.

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Byeong Hun An has been suspended for violating the PGA Tour’s anti-doping policy because of a banned substance found in cough medicine sold over the counter in South Korea.

isn’t this a little harsh, I get it that we have rules in sports but it wasn’t like he was at the back of a gym or in a toilet cubicle shooting up drugs to improve his game. 

Titleist TRS Driver, Titleist TSR 3 Wood, Titleist TRS 2 Hybrid, Titleist T300 irons, Vokey SM9 wedges 56 - 60, Scotty Cameron putter. 

7 minutes ago, MJ McNamara said:

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Byeong Hun An has been suspended for violating the PGA Tour’s anti-doping policy because of a banned substance found in cough medicine sold over the counter in South Korea.

isn’t this a little harsh, I get it that we have rules in sports but it wasn’t like he was at the back of a gym or in a toilet cubicle shooting up drugs to improve his game. 

Reality of being an athlete.  Rules are in place and it is your responsibility to ensure you follow them.  There are substances that are legal in some places but the rules of the organization you play under bans them; have to be careful.   Where do you draw the line; should it be gray?

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Reality of being an athlete.  Rules are in place and it is your responsibility to ensure you follow them.  There are substances that are legal in some places but the rules of the organization you play under bans them; have to be careful.   Where do you draw the line; should it be gray?

I understand and I agree, but I also think there needs to be some common sense applied. When OTC cold medications are considered 'performance enhancing' something is wrong.

6 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I understand and I agree, but I also think there needs to be some common sense applied. When OTC cold medications are considered 'performance enhancing' something is wrong.

Yes, but... If the med contained some, say, steroidal compound that is good for a cough but still on the banned substance list then I agree it's the player's responsibility to know and understand the rules under which they compete.

Probably a bad example because of what happened to him later, but was thinking of when Lance Armstrong was DQed from a stage of the Tour D'France for using a hemorrhoid cream that contained a banned substance.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

12 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Probably a bad example because of what happened to him later, but was thinking of when Lance Armstrong was DQed from a stage of the Tour D'France for using a hemorrhoid cream that contained a banned substance.

Lance Armstrong is definitely a bad example 😂. Maybe Vijay Singh and deer antler spray would be a better example.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

25 minutes ago, silver & black said:

How do you limit the amounts, how do you confirm that it was actually taking cold medicine and not the result of actually taking a performance enhancing drug and when caught saying it was cough medicine? 

1 hour ago, silver & black said:

There are otc pre workout supplements sold at vitamin shoppe and other type of stores in the US that contain small amounts of anabolic steroids. A friend of mine works in an investigative unit in the military. Her base has several members pop positive and all had used the same brand of preworkout. 

People who get tested for their job need to be aware of what they are taking, especially when it’s a product from overseas.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

All I know is that I'm glad there wasn't any testing when I was younger.  Heaven knows what went into my body (knowingly or unknowingly) back in the 60's and 70's! 

My grandmother used to put mercurochrome (laced with mercury and banned in a dozen countries) on cuts to aid in healing.  She had a bottle of "special" cough medicine that she had in her refrigerator with a worn prescription label that probably had some level of cocaine in it.  Then again, she lived until 97!

In college organic chemistry labs we used to wash our hands with carbon tetrachloride to get the "bad stuff" off! 

In the words of Jimmy Buffet, pro athletes today have to treat their bodies like a temple.  Me, I treated mine, and continue to treat mine like a tent!

It's amazing I'm still here at 67!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

How do you limit the amounts, how do you confirm that it was actually taking cold medicine and not the result of actually taking a performance enhancing drug and when caught saying it was cough medicine? 

Since he got a reduced sentence, he was probably able to submit an unopened package of the cold medicine for testing. I know golf has it's own protocols, but that's SOP for sports in the WADA system. There has to be some suspension, otherwise athletes could find a medication that has a banned substance, and if caught using that drug, just submit the OTC product and say, "I took this, it was unintentional." There are lists provided by most countries sports drug testing agencies that list products that are known to be clean, as well as others known to be dirty. 

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Rules are there for a reason and just like @cnosil said, you have to know what you are taking and held responsible if you take something on the list.  It has to be black/white and not a grey line.  It sounds like they reduced the suspension some so he got a little leeway. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I have a hard time complaining about enforcement of a Rule like this when the player himself didn't complain at all.  He did the right thing, the ADULT thing, taking responsibility for his mistake.  There's way too little of this behavior in the world these days.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

More than a few of the substances are banned because they are masking agents which hide the other more directly serious stuff from being detected.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

A 3 month suspension over the months of Mid-Oct to Mid-Jan is just a vacation.  PGA gets to say it enforces the rules while Byeong gets a break over the holidays in the winter months when it won't affect any big tourney's or majors.  

I'd say this is best case scenario for Byeong and will amount to a solid lesson learned without any real harm to his year or career.  

Honestly the biggest surprise for me in the whole situation is that the tour actually announced which player was banned, for how long, and for what substance.  Usually it's all hush hush under the table and we just realize we haven't seen player X in a while.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Does anyone know what the banned substance was in the cough medicine?

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

On 10/13/2023 at 10:47 AM, silver & black said:

Especially since it's been discovered that most of them don't work. 🙂

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 3 months later...

I can see where you're coming from; it does seem a bit strict. Sometimes, the rules in sports can be unforgiving.It reminds me of my own journey with addiction. When I was struggling with alcohol, I realized that rules and consequences were necessary for my recovery. I found a rehab center near me with a comprehensive program, including detox, which was a vital part of my rehab program. In Byeong Hun An's case, it's unfortunate that a simple cough medicine led to this situation. However, the strict anti-doping policies are there to ensure a level playing field in professional sports.

Edited by DavidMontoya

Don’t professional athletes usually have someone on staff to help them spot the potential use of banned substances?

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

• 2 weeks later...

I understand your concern about Byeong Hun An's suspension. It does seem like a tough situation, especially considering that the banned substance was found in cough medicine sold over the counter in South Korea. It's a reminder of how strict anti-doping policies can be in professional sports.

While it may seem harsh, it's important to remember that these rules are in place to maintain fairness and integrity within the sport. Even unintentional violations of anti-doping policies can have consequences.

If you're interested in learning more about drug testing policies in sports or exploring reliable drug testing kits, you can check out https://aichek.com/collection/drug-of-abuse. They offer a variety of products and information that may provide some insight into this topic.

Edited by rubidius

It does seem a bit extreme, doesn't it? Sometimes rules can feel rigid, especially when it comes to unintentional slip-ups like this. It reminds me of a time when I accidentally took a supplement that had a banned substance without realizing it. It's tough when consequences are disproportionate to the situation. BTW, have you ever tried CBD products like the HHC gummies from https://www.trythecbd.com/products/hhc-gummies/? They can be a great natural option for managing stress and anxiety.

Edited by NicholasRowe