Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Forum Member Reviews: Callaway Whitebox Testing

Here's a video of my unboxing experience where I cover:

1. First impressions and feel

2. What I expect to get from the test between the two models (Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X)

3. What balls I'll be testing against

Click below to watch the video 🙂 

Edited by Jeff in the Mitten

Jeff D.

WITB:

Stealth Plus 10.5 w/ X-Stiff Evenflow Riptide MX 70 TX

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3-wood w/ Steelfiber 85g X-Stiff (F5)

Taylormade P770 (2021) w/ Dynamic Gold 120 x100

Vokey SM7 wedges 54 and 58

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5s

I'm very curious if this hold true through the testing...

(image courtesy of Callaway Golf via CallawayGolf.com)

image.png.eb5ebd9c397b8d939506c01495c92289.png

Jeff D.

WITB:

After seeing the other Spies' white boxes arrive, it was nice to get the UPS delivery notification and grab them from my doorstep earlier.

2BE75948-AFE0-441B-BE3D-48049C35F6B0_1_105_c.jpeg.063a8742853c79cf36e6ac1147f89ee9.jpeg

First Impressions: Haven't had much time to gather first impressions other than visual. Same as others, two sleeves each of the Chrome Tour and Tour X- each with a tube of both #1 and #4. All triple track, which I do like (as you'll see from other balls below, I draw triple track equivalent markings on my gamers). All appear to be defect free and the markings are clean. I think I prefer having the ball model written as part of alignment markings, or, so the face with 'Callaway' and ball number is a little cleaner and less cluttered. That isn't an issue that would stop me buying the ball if it feels and plays well.

23C2D9FB-4C10-4016-A5C9-7E42A31D40FB_1_105_c.jpeg.cadcbad7f988f5a3667622f220f8b68f.jpegFD1AD351-0D02-4658-B915-12D88D0535FF_1_105_c.jpeg.9199ae9007b00da45770ee7ecddf2724.jpeg

(I had this foam packaging insert, which just happens to nicely work for the purpose of holding the balls for photos)

Comparison balls: I grabbed two each of the new out of the box balls I have for comparison testing- Taylormade TP5 & TP5X, Bridgestone BX & BX S, Callaway Chrome Soft (hi viz). I also have some used Callaway Chrome Soft X LS, Titleist ProV1 & ProV1x, Kirkland Performance+ V2 and a single Vice Pro Plus. I thought I had a couple more Vice, but must have lost them last fall.

As Callaway provided both the lower-spinning distance 'Tour' ball and the higher spin 'Tour X', I wanted to have similar tour standard balls to compare against- hence both low and high spin tour balls from Taylormade, Bridgestone, Titleist and the older Callaways. I often struggle with excess spin, particularly on driver, so it will be interesting to see how these balls do.

D207CD41-9B4C-40DC-BFDE-4BC1DB222324_1_105_c.jpeg.235324b99a0099d5e1c61efd907c2f40.jpeg

B5050B5F-B109-43B6-981C-412A3C50656A_1_105_c.jpeg.122b94fe3e0f0ec7ab68d253281f8e70.jpeg

The new comparison balls will be better for wear characteristics, but most of the used ones are in decent condition and I'll cherry pick the least worn/ scarred for the simulator work.

Initial testing: Tomorrow lunchtime I will be on the sim for 1-1.5hrs. I plan to gather comparison data for sim sessions over the next couple of weeks to collate to produce meaningful comparison stats. Initial impressions from wedge, iron, woods and driver will be shared after tomorrow's session. It takes a few days for the sim place to sync with the cloud after going there so I won't have all the session data until midweek.

Tomorrow afternoon, I hope to find a little time for some putting comparisons to see how the Tour and Tour X sound and feel off the putter face. That will be in my garage on the putting mat. Another time I'll spend some time on the indoor putting green at the sim facility.

Hopefully the weather here in Indiana will improve enough for a few course outings during the test period! I should be able to find an outdoor practice green and chipping area to test the balls in a little more 'real world' environment too.

Let the fun begin...

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :taylormade-small:Stealth2+ 4H (@22* flat) w.Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 80X

:taylormade-small:Irons: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small:Wedges 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW; 60/11 MG2TW

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix -or- :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

Unboxing

the Callaway test balls came in a plain white package, similar to other test balls, with a hex cutout that shows this is an unprinted chromesoft package.

IMG_1844.jpeg.0a14555c7bac3ca2188efed390a94ed0.jpeg

Inside are two sleeves each of Chrome Tours and Chrome Tour Xs. Each have a sleeve of playing number 1 and 4. The sleeves also each have a hexagonal cutout that allows the sleeve under the one for the top lid of the box to show the ball through.

IMG_1845.jpeg.f942e4f8a520a70c05d8749404e764c9.jpeg

The balls look and feel premium, although I agree with others that I would prefer different color playing numbers between the two models. Maybe we have been overly trained by Titleist? Also, I agree with @“Mr. 72” that  the differing reds of the triple track and playing number are a little off-putting. 

IMG_1847.jpeg.c329c3a428ecd72d5cf30765f60f7f2a.jpeg

IMG_1848.jpeg.32a8d6681cc1d89c1001393ba887cc48.jpeg

I am excited to try the triple track, though. Already seems easier to line up to my starting spot. The first putts on my training mat, I didn’t notice a difference in the hardness. They both felt similar to the TP5 and Maxflis I have been playing. We will see if anything becomes apparent once I get them in the sim.

One thing I wanted to look at was the dimple change. I had read that they are now mixing round and hex dimples for the new tour balls for better aerodynamics. The way they are laid out is in a hexagonal pattern with groups of round ones spaced around the ball, sort of like a soccer ball. The majority of the dimples are still hex. I won’t be able to test any differences from the change in the sim, so hopefully I can get these out in some wind.

IMG_1849.jpeg.d90b0e8ddbf5ea5a4af5b2f357f20f67.jpeg

Edited by MuniGolfer
Typos

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

Ok, got mine as well!  

First Impressions:

The balls arrived in the non-stop descript white box, with the cut out to see one ball.

The balls themselves are nice looking, and the triple stripes really stand out against the bright white of the ball.  As you can see, have them marked and ready to go for tomorrow's round.  Should get a good initial test with the weather in the morning in the 60s and clear before rain in the afternoon.  Be interesting to see how they perform as opposed to my normal balls and others I have tested on my own. Back with more after this first play.

IMG_20240211_112633.jpg

IMG_20240211_112900.jpg

IMG_20240211_112532.jpg

IMG_20240211_112544.jpg

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

Mine finally came in today! Like the others, the box was a mixture of chrome tour X and chrome tour, both in the triple track. 

First Impressions: 

The white box truly lives up to its name: the box was a plain white box with a hexagonal cutout teasing me with a triple track. Taking the lid off, I found more four white sleeves (a nice surprise, because I thought I would just get one sleeve!). The first sleeve I opened showed me exactly what I had been hoping for - the new chrome tour X. Because this is the closest analogue to my current ball, I have been itching to put them head to head. I went to my closet to grab a sleeve of the 2022 chrome soft X for comparison, happening to grab the number four sleeve. Wanting to minimize the extraneous differences in the comparison, I grabbed the number four sleeve of the white box balls and discovered that these were the chrome tours! Upon further inspection, it appears I was sent two of each, both in the triple track. image.jpg.7669ece86af86c7fca01afcd933dad25.jpg

Visual Comparison: 

Off the cuff, two big things stuck out. First, the new chrome tour and chrome tour x appear to be a purer white than the chrome soft x. I had never noticed it before, but sitting next to the updated ball, the 2022 version appeared to have more of an eggshell coloring. In contrast, the chrome tour and chrome tour x were as pure white as I've ever seen. 

image.jpg.96506dabdc48117846117952210d703f.jpg

The second thing I noticed was the triple track alignment. The color way remains the same, as does the spacing in the lines, but the edges of the alignment aid differ. While the old alignment aid consists of three distinct lines, each coming to an abrupt, square end, the new balls flow into a point, almost as if encouraging rolling into the hole. It's a subtle change, but one I am a fan of. The alignment seems gentler and encouraging without being a drastic change from the successful triple track alignment Callaway has used. In general, I feel that the triple track helps me square the ball to the target line better than any other alignment aid I have tested or drawn on my ball. I am glad to test the new ball with the aid because I would've drawn them on if not! 

image.jpg.54618503f2562874d7f4d0a003fe2035.jpgFinally, I was eager to see the new cover dimple design. The hexagonal dimples have always been a Callaway staple, so I was interested to see if I could tell a difference while inspecting the balls. In general, I do not think the vast majority of people will notice on first glance. The ball still retains its distinctive appearance, one that I am a fan of. That said, I wanted to look closely and was able to see the intermixing of dimple patterns on the ball. While I have yet to take them outside and hit them in the wind, this is where I think the difference will be seen. 

image.jpg.2bdca27fe5dab489a1b7b5eca7823ac6.jpg

It is worth noting, the white box balls have the old logo design, not the new one that Callaway has transitioned back to. I am indifferent between the two, but just something to keep in mind while reading the reviews. 

I am excited to take the balls out on the course. I had hoped to play a round today, but unfortunately the weather is quite wet in Chapel Hill. I plan on taking the balls to the simulator to begin to gather data. performance impressions coming soon! 

Edited by TylerC31

Driver: Callaway  Paradym Triple Diamond (8) - Accra Tour Z RPG Tour M5+

3-Wood: Stealth 2 (15) - HZRDUS Black 6.5

5-wood: Paradym Triple Diamond (18.5) - Accra Tour Z RPG Tour M5+

Irons: Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5

Wedges: Mizuno T24 Copper (50), Cleveland RTX Zipcore (56,60)

Putter: Odyssey Triple Track Eleven

February 11, 2024

Callaway White Box – Official MGS Forum Review by Robert Bloom

Introduction

About me : I am a 58 year old retired police detective who lives in Fort Myers Florida and plays golf 4-5 times a week. My game is a low to mid single digit handicap playing 150-175 rounds a year. Most of my golf is played recreationally but do play competitive golf through the Florida State Golf Association. Kelly Greens Golf & Country Club is where I both live and have membership at. I play left handed and have been playing for 30 years or so but the last 10 years I have been able to play year round since my retirement. Over the past 2 years I’ve traveled and played some of my bucket list golf courses to include The Old Course at St. Andrews, Kingsbarns, Carnoustie, Royal Portrush, Royal County Down, Pebble Beach Torrey Pines, Kapalua and Pinehurst just to name a few.

My Game : My handicap has been relatively consistent over the past couple of years, fluctuating a couple of strokes either way. Playing competitive golf has helped maintain it on the lower end forcing me to play smarter golf and keeping the focus needed to play this difficult game. Almost a year ago I had cervical fusion surgery which has cost me some distance but make that up with club selection.

Current Golf Ball: My competition golf ball is Titleist ProV1 with an occasional Taylormade TP5. I like a ball that has high spin around the green and one that I can work in both directions. When playing at home I like try other balls to see what’s out there.

Current Equipment: I currently play PXG GEN4 woods and irons. My Vessel stand bag consists of my PXG Driver, 3W, 5W, 7W, 9-7 irons, Pw, Gw, 52*, 56*, 60*, 64* wedges and putter.

My hope with this test is to see if Callaway has stepped up their golf ball producing game in relation to their competitors.  I’ve played the Chrome Soft in the past and it would be nice to have more options of quality golf balls to choose from.  I will be playing these balls on days of golf when I am not playing a competitive round. 

Unboxing

These Callaway test balls came in a plain white box similar to other test balls that I’ve seen in the past.  The white golf ball box has a hexagon shaped hole in the front   

image.jpeg.37460830f6c2c33fe2b3b4b95c32e6ba.jpeg

Inside the box were four boxes of three golf balls with two each being Chrome Tour X and two being Chrome Tour. 

image.jpeg.19066c88b40f74ddc411d37a108e1fc0.jpeg

The golf balls were white and appeared blemish free. Each ball had the triple track in red and blue colors with the ball name underneath the Callaway logo on either side.

image.jpeg.a6980952f7db736921ff9c5b1ec25c70.jpeg

I am a triple track fan and currently mark my Titleist ProV1’s in a complete 360 degree triple track fashion for both alignment reasons and for identifying it on the course.  There are no issues with anyone walking up and hitting the wrong ball when I am around.  

image.jpeg.3d183393c3ef2ac8bcd97c045fb35460.jpeg

Played my first round with the Callaway white box balls today. I played the front 9 with the Chrome Tour and the back 9 with the Tour X. (I’m sure that disqualifies me from some sort of high-level competition. 🤣 But I did it for the cause.)

I shot 77 (37-40) in some decent Texas wind. The back nine was not the Tour X’s fault. (Is it ever?!) A couple of dumb three putts was the difference.

Overall, at my swing speed (97-98 mph), I preferred the feel of the Tour. The Tour X felt very firm especially around the green. I normally play Srixon Z Star Diamonds, which I love around the green, and the Tour felt very similar.

I had a very mediocre-to-poor day with the driver, so it wouldn’t be fair to judge the Callaways based off my tee shots.

On the other hand, my iron play today was excellent. I was trying to hit the ball low because of the wind all day, and found both versions of the Callaway to check very nicely on well-struck shots. I pured an 8-iron with the Tour X, and was pleasantly surprised that it wound up 6-8 inches from the initial ball mark on pretty rock hard winter greens (see pictures).

I want to give it a few more rounds before I make a final judgment but I’m interested to see what the Tour will do on a better driver day. I found it to be very similar to the Srixon.

The only anomaly, which I’m still scratching my head about, is the attached photo with a crease on the Tour X. I didn’t hit any trees or cart paths. Not sure if it’s a defect or if I thinned one to put the “smile” on it. 

Stay tuned for more…

IMG_4883.jpeg

IMG_4875.jpeg

IMG_4876.jpeg

Edited by JC from SA

Callaway Mavrik driver, Apex 19 irons and Cleveland RTX-4 wedges.

Good morning MGS'ers.

I see that the white box has arrived, and I will be unpacking and making a first thought comments later. 

Intro:  I am 54 years old and reside in Vero Beach, Florida. I've been playing golf for around 35 years. I have had a few layoffs due to injury. I lost 6 years to a back injury and 3 years to the wrist injury which I still fight daily. Being ultracompetitive, dealing with a 30-yard loss of distance on every club has been very hard to swallow, but I'm playing. My clubhead speed has been inching back up and I finally cracked 100 mph driver SS again. During this time, I have been learning the importance of course management and hitting to the proper areas. This has enabled me to get back into a single digit handicap. The strongest part of my game has always been the short game, with the putter leading the way. Weakness has always been iron play. 

Current gamer ball- I fell in love with the Maxfli Tour and Tour X. I hit the ball extremely high so, more often than not I play the tour for the reduced spin.  On days that are calm, I will opt for the X. The reduced spin of the tour (for me) is easier to flight and work.  Best ball in the game, especially for the price. 

My clubs are listed below. I made a putter change to the Ai T Three, the jury is still out on this one. Distance control has proven difficult. I just shortened the shaft to allow me to get over the ball more. 

My introduction to this ball-  I have tried to stay away from the commercials and You-tube video reviews. It's been hard to avoid.  I have already seen the balls and our local Callaway rep tried to give me a couple of sleeves. I explained to him that I was selected to do the MGS ball test and politely refused. I didn't want to taint the testing procedure. I found 2 in the woods yesterday. Both were X so I'm guessing the driver spin is higher. LOL  

Good luck to all, I can't wait to get to brass tacks.

Incredible recovery shots are set up by an equally incredible miss.

D-    Cobra Aerojet 8.0 Hzrdus Blue S.

FW-  Callaway Mavrik 3&5 wood

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Callaway Epic forged E19 4-GW

Taylormade MG 3 56 degree 10 bounce (personal grind to 6 degrees or so)

Cameron Furtura F5r  / Odessey Ai One Three T

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

First off, thanks MGS for the opportunities you provide the golfing community with independent and unbiased testing. Excited to test out these white box balls! I play out of Southwest Ohio and have been golfing for 25 years. I have been playing tournament golf for the last 9 years. I picked up the game after Happy Gilmore and Tiger Woods influenced a hockey playing northern Minnesotan to grip it and rip it. Tournament golf has got me hooked on the game, improving, running tournaments, and all around being a golf junky. I have a few certifications such as SuperSpeed, WHS, and Impact Zone. I took a yearlong Keiser University Associates program in Golf Management during the COVID times. I love the process of preparing, practicing, learning, and testing my game/equipment. The only ball I have played in a tournament is a Srixon ZStarXV and Titleist ProV1. I switched from Srixon after a subpar review from MGS. I tested the OnCore VEROX2 last year and you can find my review by clicking here. I also tested the Topflite Gamer ball and you can find that review by clicking here. I am a loyal guy as you can see by my bag of clubs. Still working with the Taylormade M1 in driver and 3W and a Srixon Z Blade combo set. I did recently buy a new Odyssey AI putter to try out! I have gamed an Odyssey #9 for years not. Putting and distance are my strengths.

I want to test this product by comparing it to my gamer, the Titleist Prov1. I am going to take this ball on all areas of the course to get some initial impressions and play a few holes, then a few rounds to see how it handles different conditions. I also plan to take it to GOLFTEC (GC Quad), my home course (Trackman), and get data on the course with my Bushnell Launch pro launch monitor. Lastly, we will have to get out and play a match play between the two balls. The product will stay in the bag if it outperforms. All-around performance is key for me. I hit a lot of wedges into par 4s so keeping the ball in play off of the tee and having a consistent ball that does not spin too much on full shots and not enough on green side shots is a priority. I am excited to test the product because I have never ventured off of major manufacturers for golf balls. I did some research on the product, and I am intrigued at the higher price point for the 2024 ball compared to the 2023 balls. I expect that it will be challenging to move off of the ProV1. ProV1 golf ball is a stalwart in the industry, and I trust the consistency of that ball. MGS testing backs up the ball and so many pros trust Titleist balls. Should be fun, I enjoy the process and I am happy to support MGS!

Edited by Bohnson
spelling

Brandon Johnson, MBA
COO / Co-founder North American Golf Tour 

www.northamericangolftour.com

e: [email protected]

WITB: 

• D - Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 3w- Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • PW, GW, SW, LW Cleveland rtx 
  • true temper shafts in all of my irons 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

INTROS:  Yes, it's the infamous, notorious, B I G ... oh wait, not him, it's Golfinnut.  I've been around a while, sticking my nose & opinions in every possible thread I can.  I'm 52 in age & 82 in body 🤣  Sometimes feel that way with a bad back & metal hip, but hey, I'm still breathing.  I've been playing for roughly 48 years.  Yes, my father started me young ... yet I still suck.  Ha!  He was my only teacher.  Ever since he passed & my hip was replaced, I've lacked the same drive for the game.  I was a great player back in high school & college.  But I lived, breathed golf ... every day, that's what it took to be good.  If I weren't playing, I was practicing.  My only off day was in the gym (yeah, that body said bye-bye to me long ago)  I was as low as a 2 handicap, but it now balloons to a 10 - 12.  I may know what to do & how the swing is supposed to look, but the execution is where I'm lacking.  

MY GAME:  I'm an old fart.  So picture an old fart's game ... that's mine.  I don't hit the ball very long anymore.  Driver SP around 98 - 102 mph.  My strength is in my short game.  I miss so many greens, I have to have a good short game to play respectable.  So I concentrate on working around the green, so there are a lot of scrambling pars on my scorecard.  As some of you know, I play Titleist golf equipment.  I have since the days of the first blades & the Professional golf ball.  Not that I don't like other OEM's but I have had the best play with Titleist & I'm pretty biased since I've played them so long.  My biggest issue as of late has been my putting.  This was one of the reasons why I like testing golf balls .... for the short game & putting testing. 

WITB:  Complete Titleist bag, with the exception of the putter.  (see signature)  I play the Titleist ProV1 98% of the time or the AVX.  I was fit into the V1 & the AVX.  My spin numbers translate into me playing both balls with no problem.  It's why I want to try the new AVX soon as well.  These two will be the balls I'll be comparing with.  

TESTING:  As mentioned, I'll be testing these balls vs the AVX & V1.  I hope to play as much on the course as possible, but the weather here in VA will dictate how much.  I prefer the course, but I do own a net & the Rapsodo for the stats.  I also have a course fairly close to me with a short game area, so I will get there to practice as well.  

Box_CT.jpg.11c514944e251cb50a47e8c1d2826c82.jpg

INITIAL THOUGHTS OUT OF THE BOX:  First up, the fingernail test.  Cover of the CT noticeably different than the X.   I can feel the fingernail indent into the cover of the X (soft cover).  No noticeable blemishes or marks visible.  I always like to look for the "seam" of the ball, where the two halves join together.  TItleist always seemed to put the side stamp directly on that seam.  These balls, not so much.  None of the batch seemed to be stamped in such a way.  Maybe they aren't supposed to? 🤔  Triple Track design as expected.  

PUTTING OFF THE MAT:  Noticeable 'click' on the X vs the CT.  Triple Track design is a great visual to aid in putting.  I'm hoping this helps my putting woes out a bit.  I usually only use one solid black line on the V1's.  

image.png.746481d0ebfe709ec7ec30ccee05b2ed.png

image.png.e7025576d70d92ad40c0710daf02d546.png

image.png.2cd090762d62a806fd144ef108a230dc.png

ON THE COURSE:  Soon .... 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

SUPER excited to give these a run. I'm going to be using them for league (indoor sim) tomorrow night. BUT, the long term forecast is looking somewhat warm in WI.. Hopefully I can sneak out on an actual course in the coming days. 

IMG_4252.jpeg.181a935ef6f056b583536bd6d26ffbcb.jpeg

IMG_4253.jpeg.0515f4249a81e00df0f853131656dc93.jpeg

D-  Titleist  TSR2 w Mitsubishi Tensei 50g Stiff 

5w - Titleist TSI w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 65g Stiff

HYB - Titleist TSi 21* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 65g Stiff

Irons - 4-PW Takomo 101T w/ KBS Tour Stiff 

Wedges - Cleveland RTX ZipCore 52/10 56/12 60/8 w/ TrueTemper T100

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select GoLo S

Ball - Sirxon Z Star XV

Thanks to MGS for giving me this opportunity to be a first-time tester! I’ve enjoyed reading past reviews and it has definitely helped to guide me, so I hope this does the same for you. Looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say and seeing how these perform!

About me:

I'm a 39-year-old dad in Alabama. I have been playing golf since I was a kid and am a former collegiate golfer. Dad duties hinder the amount of time I am able to dedicate to practice and have limited my ability to play in competitive events. I am hoping that as my kids get older, I can pull one (or both) of them in so that we can enjoy this mind-numbing game together. I have always loved the game and I am always sifting through this forum, researching and buying gear. I have a semi finished simulator setup (mevo+ and GSPro), so I am looking to play a little bit more this year, either inside or outside. My handicap has crept up (due to lack of reps), but that makes me a great Member-Guest partner!

My game: 

I’m a consistent single digit handicap. Most days depend on how well I get off the tee, which used to never be a problem for me when I was playing often. I am currently working this off-season to be more consistent with the driver and increase clubhead speed. I hang out around 105-108 mph consistently. My strengths are my wedge play and putting. I'd say that my weakness tends to be my driving. If I keep the ball in play, then I generally score well.

Stock Yardages (Carry):

Driver: 260 yards, 3 wood: 235 yards, 2 hybrid: 210 yards, 4 iron: 200 yards, 5 iron: 190 yards, 6 iron: 175 yards, 7 iron: 165 yards, 8 iron: 150 yards, 9 iron: 140 yards, PW: 130 yards, GW (50*): 115 yards, SW (54*): 95 yards, LW (58*): 75 yards

Equipment:

I currently play a TaylorMade SLDR 430 9* with Speeder 757 S shaft. YES, IT IS OLD AS DIRT! But I have tried (just ask the guys at the PGA Superstore!) and can’t find anything that has fit me better.  Callaway Pro 3 wood with Speeder 757 S shaft, Nickent 17* hybrid with Graffaloy Blue S shaft, Callaway apex irons (4-pw) with s300 shafts, Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, and 58* wedges, and TaylorMade Rossa putter.

Current Ball:

My current golf ball is usually a Titleist ProV1x. I will use most anything similar, since I am not competitive right now. I utilize Kirkland Signature in my simulator due to the cost and the wear I have noticed in the balls.

What I Want From This Test:

I'm hoping that the Callaway ball that we get to test will match up to the ProV1 and ProV1x. I tend to get higher than ideal spin with my driver off the tee and would benefit from a golf ball that gives me low spin with a penetrating flight. I generally have good spin with irons and wedges, and I want a ball that maintains a soft feel around the greens. I tend to prefer softer-feeling golf balls because I notice the feel more around the greens and coming off the face of the putter.

How I'm Going To Test This:

I have a Flightscope Mevo+ that I will use to generate hard data and compare it to other brands. I tend to chew through balls in the simulator, so I will focus on durability. I plan to then get some outside use, especially around the greens and will get in a few rounds if the weather cooperates with my schedule.

Like many others here, this will be my first time as a tester. I'm very excited to share my thoughts, numbers, and feedback with everyone, and looking forward to the discussion! I will start taking notes, pictures, and maybe even a few videos as soon as my white box arrives in the mail.

TM SLDR 430 9*

Callaway Pro 3w

Nickent 17* 

Callaway Apex 4-pw

Cleveland RTX 50, 54, 58

TM Rossa Putter

Welcome to MGS and welcome to the testing everyone!!! It's exciting!!!

Question for the testers; 

What area(s) are you hoping this ball will help to improve your game from? 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

2 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

The dream scenario would be that it improves all facets of my game, but that's hoping for too much/not realistic.

I'm not expecting too much as I play a pretty good ball - ProV1x. I do play the Chrome Soft and the CSxLS from time to time as well. I've been a Callaway fan since buying the original s2h2 irons, to this day still my favorite set.

I would say that if I could get a couple of more controlled yards off the tee without negatively affecting the other facets of my game....  That would be huge.

AKA Dark Horse

State of my game:  "Breaking 85" is the new "Breaking 80".

39 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I am hoping it is lower spin, flatter trajectory off the tee. When I evaluate a golf ball, I work from the green backwards. But with a lot of recent model changes, I haven't noticed as large of a gap in greenside performance as I have with driver numbers.

TM SLDR 430 9*

Callaway Pro 3w

Nickent 17* 

Callaway Apex 4-pw

Cleveland RTX 50, 54, 58

TM Rossa Putter

Unboxing

I received my Callaway White Box testing balls yesterday, and was so excited to open up the package! This is my first ball test, so it was definitely strange to see a box of balls with no markings on it, just plain white, but that hardly matters. I was very happy to find that we were given 2 sleeves of the new Chrome Tour ball, and 2 sleeves of the Chrome Tour X. These are exactly what I was hoping for, as I have a high swing speed and love to see balls with a lot of greenside spin that don't spin like crazy off the tee, which is what these have been marketed as by Callaway. 

IMG_0222.jpg.93d9955892385ceba668b2d3b952d026.jpg

As for looks of the individual balls, I am very excited to test out the new triple track design. I love to practice putting with triple track balls but I've never really put them into play on the course because I often don't love the feel or spin results of the ball itself. I'm hoping that I like these ones better, as I'm a huge fan of the small change that I see. The change I'm talking about is pictured below, with the two new balls in the middle with a 2023 chrome soft on the left and an ERC Soft on the right (I was given a dozen of these so that might be one of the balls I test these against). In the new balls, the lines on the triple track taper off into points rather than ending harshly. I've never thought about this but I love the new look, as comparatively the old ones look more severe as opposed to the flow of the new markings. It's a small point, but one I'm a huge fan of.

IMG_0224.jpg.ea2b78d6c14a5e8eb44f645788420439.jpg

Looking at the new balls, the other main difference that I see is that they seem to be a purer white than the older models. The Chrome soft has been hit a few times, but doesn't have any real scuffs on it, but the ERC Soft has never been hit, and both of those balls look like more of an eggshell color than the pure white of the Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X. 

Overall first impressions are great, I'm looking forward to watching how these new golf balls look rolling end over end with the tapered triple track lines!

Blake Hopkins

Ping G430 Driver, Titleist Tsi2 3 wood, Titleist H2 3 hybrid, Titleist t300 irons (4-gw), Vokey 54 wedge, Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60 wedge, Taylormade Spider putter

Hello MGS Troops! Hope the day is going well for everyone. Just wanted to keep you all in the loop, I haven’t been able to get out to hit these balls on a course yet. I will be going to the sim on Wednesday for an another session. Will let you all know. Happy Birdie Hunting!!!

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

Hello all of you fine people and thank you MGS for the opportunity to do a little testing. Here is a little about me. Was born and raised in Southern Ontario and moved to Pennsylvania in '91 on an athletic scholarship and have been here since. Finally broke 50 in human years and desperately trying to consistently break 80 in golf strokes. Growing up I played a lot of golf, mostly self-taught or with the help of my father but when I moved here, I didn't pick up the clubs for about twenty years. I am now back and have been consistently playing a lot for the last several years. The Western PA weather has a limited outdoor golf season and I take full advantage of it. Three years ago, I assemble everything to create my own Sim area in my garage and that holds me over until spring.

I have been fortunate to be a member of a club here and for the last two years and am getting back to the consistency that I want in my game. The struggle is the approach not being tight enough to the pin and at time some putting. Our greens are kept pretty fast and are unforgiving. Handicap is floating around 11. Average drive in-season is 250 yds and swing speed 95-100. 7 iron is 165 yds. Irons are new and driver is old. Really due for a new driver.  Have been working on straightening out my game and if I have a miss, it is predictable. I currently play ProV left dash and Snell Black. I have friends that play Callaways and are true fans of the ball, which makes this testing even more intriguing.

So currently it is below 40’s in the day here which leads me to my testing opportunity. This will be testing inside in a controlled environment with data provided by my SkyTrak. Like I stated my current ball the PRoV left dash and I will be using that as my baseline and reference point. I guess the hardest point to assess is feel and that is the swaying point for me if I was to change balls. The improvement that I can grow with most is my approach game and around the green where you need that ‘feel’ and if during this testing that shines then I might have a new ball to play this season.

Currently with the unboxing they do look nice and shiny and even though I do not currently play Callaways, the three stripes (triple track) are pleasing to the eye. I do like the look of them and the visual aid in aligning putting is a plus. As I opened the box, I also had a box of -ProV1x, which I received for Christmas. This was a good comparison right off the bat. I opened the sleeve if the Chrome Tour and it seemed tacky or sticky compared to the PVx. Its hard to explain both the CT and CTx seem to have a waxy feel to them when compared to the PVx. Not a great distinguishable feel but it is there. I did take a few swings with my driver, it was actually the first time since Dec 25 when we had a crazy warm Christmas here and I went out and played 9 holes, but I digress. After a couple of warm ups, the sound was a little more muted over the PVx, which has a sharper sound. When I actually devote the time to test all clubs a will hopefully have videos to support this.

I have talked long enough in the intro, I will leave you all with some unboxing photos and two Sim data photos and will talk soon.

PXL_20240211_115817638.jpg

PXL_20240211_120025752.jpg

PXL_20240212_210458242.jpg

PXL_20240212_210509715.jpg

PXL_20240212_210514661.jpg

PXL_20240213_003037544~2.jpg

PXL_20240213_003211957.jpg

PXL_20240213_003241969.jpg

PXL_20240213_003324234~3.jpg

PXL_20240212_212230710.jpg

PXL_20240212_213808643.jpg

Like Trevino said, "Not even God can hit a 1-iron!"

9 hours ago, Rob Person said:

I mentioned it in my first/intro post but I'm hoping for a little additional spin in the long/mid game.

I also received my white box today. I won't flood the page with the box pics (it looks exactly the same with the green dot). What's interesting to me, having participated in white box testings previously, is that in the past we aren't always made aware of the model. So many questions in my head now, where before I was only thinking if they were going to be urethane or not. Are these this year's CT/X? Are there already Protos of future ones just a few weeks after they hit retail? Did Xander give me sleeves from his stash (most likely to be the case).

Super stoked to try these out!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Congratulations testers!!! As a new member, I can’t wait to read the reviews and see what information could be important as a tester to write about. 

I am a golfer that is getting back into the game. With luck I will get to update my lower handicap. 

18 hours ago, Rob Person said:

@Rob Person good question!  For me it all comes down to spin.  I have two MAJOR issues that I've faced with spin in my game, centered around Driver and Wedges.  With the Driver, I can get the ballooning spinner that just drops straight down and cuts my distance by 30+ yards at time.  That tends to be when I get 3,000 RPM from getting a little too forward lean and hitting my driver like a 7 iron swing (that's on me, not the club), but when it happens I know it immediately and kick myself for not hitting up on the ball on a tee.  So, for the Callaway balls I NEED it to be lower spinning off the driver.  We all know the idea of swinging the club perfectly 100% of the time is not a real expectation, so my review will somewhat center on what the ball does when I make those mistakes and hopefully minimize the damage.  

With wedges it'll come down to full swing shots.  I don't flush it every time there either, but at times when I'm playing a spinnier ball like a Kirkland, I'll hit it pin-high and then zip it 30 yards back off the green and that has to be one of the most frustrating things in the world!  It's a roller coaster to hit the shot and think, "OMG that is the one!" and then see the ball come back at you like a yo-yo.  So again, I think I'll watch for CONSISTENT spin numbers within a range regardless of whether I absolutely flushed it or not.  

I'd love to know if the videos are helpful.  I've posted some around putter feel, and after watching them back I personally think you can hear the difference, which was my goal, but I'd love to know if other Spies out there agree?  If you can, check out my earlier post about putting with the videos.  I'd love some early feedback so I can incorporate it into my future posts. 

CHEERS!

Edited by Jeff in the Mitten

Jeff D.

WITB:

Dammit .... why don't these float??  🤣

Well since they haven't' come up with one that does that, I guess I'm gonna have to say that I need a ball that fits my flight window.  Not too high, not too low.  I don't want a lot of spin off the tee, just so I don't hit them off the map on my mishits.  But I want the spin around the greens, of course.  There isn't a ball that goes straight every time, on command?  Well damn 😂 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Soooo, I spent several hours in the sim over the weekend hitting a lot of shots with these balls, a lot of shots! But I need to edit some videos and get the data compiled so I don't have my first full update yet. But I will say this, I hit these new balls further than ProV1s with my driver by 3-4 yards and the dispersion was better! They feel slightly firmer but I love the way they came off the club face. I will have a full breakdown but so far, these balls are sweet!

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9Deg, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX

TaylorMade SIM2 3 Wood 15 Deg

TaylorMade SIM2 Rescue - 3 19 Deg

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW

Vokey SM9 Wedges 48, 52, and 58 Deg

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5 ( Still have my Fastback No. 1, it is in time out for a bit!)

All carried around in a customized Ping Hoofer Carry bag!

Check out my YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/@maddenbarnes

My swing in slo-mo: