Different shaft flex for different clubs?

I understand that X-stiff and stiff shafts are for faster swing speeds and stronger players. I also know that regular and senior flex are for normal or slower swing speeds. However, my question is more about the shaft flex per club type. For instance, I swing a driver around 105 mph on average so I use a stiff shaft on my driver and woods. I don't swing my irons very hard though. In fact, I would rather club up and do a 3/4 swing rather than trying to get every yard out of an iron with a hard swing. I feel as though this has helped me with my consistency, especially on my longer irons.

I'm curious if it's common to have stiff shaft in driver/woods/hybrids but a regular shaft in irons and wedges, or if most people just get one type of shaft flex for all of there clubs. Thoughts?

• Cobra AMP Cell Driver
  • Cobra Aerojet 3 Wood
  • Cobra LTDx 3 Hybrid
  • Cobra LTDx 5-GW Irons
  • Tour Edge 52,56, 60
  • Odyssey White Hot #4

22 minutes ago, jlconnolly11 said:

I understand that X-stiff and stiff shafts are for faster swing speeds and stronger players. I also know that regular and senior flex are for normal or slower swing speeds. However, my question is more about the shaft flex per club type. For instance, I swing a driver around 105 mph on average so I use a stiff shaft on my driver and woods. I don't swing my irons very hard though. In fact, I would rather club up and do a 3/4 swing rather than trying to get every yard out of an iron with a hard swing. I feel as though this has helped me with my consistency, especially on my longer irons.

I'm curious if it's common to have stiff shaft in driver/woods/hybrids but a regular shaft in irons and wedges, or if most people just get one type of shaft flex for all of there clubs. Thoughts?

Definitely not uncommon. Bottom line flex is a non exact designation. Different weights, torque and profiles mean different shafts flex different than others. Even within company lineups some player stiffer than others.

In the end if it works for you go for it!

I like and x in my driver for stability, but prefer a lighter feel in my irons. Wedges I've gone even lighter but many others prefer heavier in their wedges.

Very much personal preference.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

My personal experience: I would not rely on that the shaft says but rather how it performs in a fitting, regardless of the club type. My driver swing speed ranges from 79-83 which by all accounts = senior shaft. Nope, I did an experiment with my recently retired SIM 2 driver - using the exact same Fuji Airspeeder  shaft in a A (Senior) and R flex, also both were the same weight - 49g and same grips. I was getting longer distances and better dispersion control with the R flex.  I have a 3 year old 5 wood (18.5*) with a A flex 49 g. Helium shaft that I recently replaced with a 425 Hybrid (19*) with a R flex 70 g shaft. I get significantly better distance/dispersion with the hybrid then the 5 wood. Lastly, I was fitted with Recoils on my irons which I love and do well with. When I ordered a new set of wedges, the OEM recommend I go with the Recoils (same Flex/model) on the wedges. Nope the stock steel shafts on the Gilde 3.0 and SM7 outperform the Recoils on the wedges. So go figure. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Different flexes and weights and shafts in a bag is probably more the norm than the exception at this point. It's all about getting fit and finding what works best for you in each part of the bag.

At one time a couple years ago I was fit into an XS in my driver and 3 wood, but S for the rest of the bag. I've lost swing speed so I'm in stiff now all the way through, but when I finally get to another fitting this spring I'll know more about what works best for me.

But I'd ignore all the flexes and all that as they're nothing more than a starting point. Go through the bag and find the best option for you based on performance of the club/shaft combo and don't worry about anything else. A quality fitter won't worry about sticking to a flex based on age, gender, swing speed, etc. They'll find what works.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

50 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Definitely not uncommon. Bottom line flex is a non exact designation. Different weights, torque and profiles mean different shafts flex different than others. Even within company lineups some player stiffer than others.

In the end if it works for you go for it!

I like and x in my driver for stability, but prefer a lighter feel in my irons. Wedges I've gone even lighter but many others prefer heavier in their wedges.

Very much personal preference.

I am the same way find the X in my driver to be beneficial. Have fairways in stiff and an old F-Speed 5 wood with the stock reg flex shaft and I hit really well. I like reg flex in my irons also. I’m not sure I’m doing it right but it seems to work for me hahaha

I’ve got a bad reeling about this

Flex is somewhat of a myth as far as I am concerned.  One shaft in an S can translate to an X in another shaft since there is no concrete scale to measure the shaft.  My hybrid shaft is an X and the only difference I can find between that and the S version is a two gram of weight difference.  For me I like very stout in the driver, a little more lively in the fairway woods, stout in my irons and softer in my wedges.  No real reason behind any of that other than it works for me and I like that setup.  Also prefer counterbalanced shafts in the top end of the bag so I can get some decently heavy head weight.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* HZRDUS HC Yellow 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Just now, Wib081 said:

I am the same way find the X in my driver to be beneficial. Have fairways in stiff and an old F-Speed 5 wood with the stock reg flex shaft and I hit really well. I like reg flex in my irons also. I’m not sure I’m doing it right but it seems to work for me hahaha

If it works it works! 

On a personal note there are certain weights I prefer and find in less fatigued after a round. Even 5 grams more and I find there to be a difference.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

If it works it works! 

On a personal note there are certain weights I prefer and find in less fatigued after a round. Even 5 grams more and I find there to be a difference.

Oh that totally agree with! I wouldn’t have cared in the past but into my 40’s I’m noticing the impact it has on my body after a round. 

15 minutes ago, Wib081 said:

Oh that totally agree with! I wouldn’t have cared in the past but into my 40’s I’m noticing the impact it has on my body after a round. 

This is exactly why I'm looking to go lighter and graphite. I turn 50 in a few months and my elbows have issues and the DG120's I've been playing are just too much for me at this point.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

I put an X flex shaft into my driver towards the end of last season as my cruising speed seemed to be working closer to the 107-109 range. Haven't been able to see what flight will look like in outdoor conditions yet, but the feel is just super stable. I never had issues with S flex shafts, and those are what I have in the rest of my bag. Jury is still out on whether or not the X will work well in my driver, but I do like the feel quite a bit. I can feel exactly where the head of the club is, and I am hoping it'll give me a little tighter dispersion and more consistent striking on the clubface.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

3 hours ago, jlconnolly11 said:

It all depends on the flight you want and feel that you are looking for.  I have a Ventus Blue 6S in the driver and my irons I play a KBS Tour V 110 Reg flex and love them.  Swing speeds, I could be in a stiff flex but for the flight I wanted the Reg felt best and produced for me.  

No one way is right or wrong.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

47 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

I put an X flex shaft into my driver towards the end of last season as my cruising speed seemed to be working closer to the 107-109 range. Haven't been able to see what flight will look like in outdoor conditions yet, but the feel is just super stable. I never had issues with S flex shafts, and those are what I have in the rest of my bag. Jury is still out on whether or not the X will work well in my driver, but I do like the feel quite a bit. I can feel exactly where the head of the club is, and I am hoping it'll give me a little tighter dispersion and more consistent striking on the clubface.

So I was looking at the mini burner last year but didn’t like the feel of the stock mamiya 65g shaft. Happened to find one at the LGS with the HZRDUS Black 6.5 60g and it was so much better, and that was one thing I noticed is that I could also feel wear the head was with the X

6 hours ago, jlconnolly11 said:

This all comes down to preference, swing style, managing your game etc....  For me I absolutely use different flexes on my clubs (mostly due/from me understanding and mitigating my misses).  Example Driver swing speed 107-112/mph putting me on the edge of stiff/x-stiff, I use a stiff shaft.  fairway woods I use an x-stiff shaft(same shaft model though), irons (7 iron swing speed +/- 88-92/mph), steel stiff shafts.  Wedges since I play a lot of full shots with my wedges I prefer the weight/stability of an x-stiff shaft...

good luck on your investigation...

B_LinksGolf "Any day golfing is better than a day in the office"

What's in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3diamond LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

3w/5w: Callaway Rogue ST LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

4i-6i: Callaway '24 Apex CB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

7i-10i: Callaway '24 Apex MB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw (matte black) 50ºs-grind/54ºs-grind/58ºz-grind

Putter: Callaway AI-one Jailbird mini DB 35"