Is Golf's Dress Code Outdated?

On 3/26/2024 at 6:24 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I was invited by my friend to be in a golf tournament and that’s all I knew going in to it.
It was “The Masters Gentlemen’s Club” outing in NJ many years ago. Three man team plus an entertainer caddy. There were also entertainers stationed at every green that wasn’t in view of houses or roads. I can’t go into details here but they were banned from the golf course after that day. The after party was even crazier. 

There was an outing in Arizona that got crazy. I remember walking a hole up to two ladies in barely there bikinis and that was "tamer" than a lot of things other guys went to see.

As for the dress code, I'm conflicted. I once showed up at a course that was wide open on a Friday after the gym in gym shorts and a cut-off. I had zero intention of playing, it was so open I decided just to go for it and got a friendly reminder to try to wear sleeves. The course I'm at right now is a lot more strict except at the range. I don't mind it, but means I always have to plan to play golf. 

I think for me, I don't really care what others do as long as it's not extreme. I show up in my usual golf attire- shorts and a polo. As long as you're not showing up in no clothes, it shouldn't affect my game.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybrid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :callaway-small:  Tour X 2024
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours or Sketchers Max Fairway Go 4

I have to make an addendum to my earlier comment:  what is the objection to cargo shorts?  This is something I truly do not understand.  As I get older I find that I have more stuff in my pockets than I ever did.  Cargo shorts offer those extra pockets I require to give me peace of mind.  Can someone advise me the objectionability of cargo shorts? 

I've learned more life lessons on a golf course than in any school.  

I play golf.  What is Twitter?

1 hour ago, Bill Galinas said:

I have to make an addendum to my earlier comment:  what is the objection to cargo shorts?  This is something I truly do not understand.  As I get older I find that I have more stuff in my pockets than I ever did.  Cargo shorts offer those extra pockets I require to give me peace of mind.  Can someone advise me the objectionability of cargo shorts? 

The cargo shorts can come in all types of fits. From fitting to baggy and it would be too hard to name the conforming brands which could change weekly. And who's going to inspect the tag on your shorts. What the higher end courses don't want is the baggy unkept look. Your wearing working shorts and came straight from work look.  Cargo shorts are considered too casual for the traditional and formal atmosphere associated with golf. The dress codes are often in place to maintain a certain level of decorum and respect for the game, the club, and other players. I was a member at a private club for 16 years. They have rules. You have your choice, conform or leave. But they have changed policies over the years. 

Looking back in history we are pretty lucky. Would you like to be golfing in a starched button-down white shirt and tie? Rules change over time. We can wear shorts; Tiger came out with the mock tee golf shirt and now that is accepted. Now they have the untucked designed shirts being allowed at certain places, hoodies. Times change and dress codes change over time, but golf attire acceptance changes slowly. The main issue is every course has a different set of rules. I just got used to dressing to be able to play anywhere.  

image.png.db92e52fdec5881d3c58e4408f82b991.png

A lot of the exclusive clubs put ownership on the member if they invite a guest.  I played Southern Hills with a member, and he sent me a do's and don'ts list (no hats to be worn in the club house, you can't change your shoes in the parking lot, you will be assigned a locker for the day to change. Collared shirts tucked in, shorts to the knees, no cargo shorts, hats to be worn correctly on the golf course and so on.  Which is totally acceptable to me. As long as I know the rules up front. There could be nothing worse than being asked to leave because your attire did not conform after traveling to get there. No different than going to the Masters as a spectator. They have rules and a lot of them (and you're not even playing 🤣). 

Unfortunately, I have had to do that a few times when inviting people to play at my previous club. It's embarrassing for both parties. I sent the rules, he chose to ignore them. They told me that he had to leave or change. He was embarrassed or pissed and left. Then they got on me and asked if I informed him of the dress code. Their course their rules. My new club is less strict, but I still dress the same as I would for a private course. It's just what I'm comfortable in. Plus, you get the added benefit of moisture wicking and UV protection materials in today's golf apparel. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

3 hours ago, Bill Galinas said:

Cargo shorts and pants serve a purpose which is more for those who work in trades that need to have pockets for carrying different things.

they are super casual and really have no place in a wardrobe for any function that’s not related to doing some form of yardwork, home repair/construction, etc.

even the TW Nike single pocket cargo shorts looked bad

4 hours ago, Bill Galinas said:

... Never underestimate the ability of some to be upset about what someone else does. Especially if it doesn't affect them personally. Social media opened up a can of worms for the malcontent. There are so many that have objections to soooooo much. Mostly irrelevant to them personally but they have very strong opinions about others. 🙄 Ignoring Private Clubs that have the right to have any kind of dress code they want, what someone "wears" is and should be none of my business. How they "act" is much more important. I would much rather be paired with someone in cargo shorts and an untucked tee shirt with gym shoes that enjoys the game, plays ready golf and are pleasant company than someone decked out in slick dress pants and shirts tucked in with Foot Joy classics in a bad mood for the entire round because they aren't playing to their potential and are bordering on inebriation by the back 9.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

Is a dress code needed?  Yes

Is there room for modernizing it? YES! 

The tucked in shirt rule is dated, but we don't need to see what shows up when you can wear anything.  These are hard lines to draw, and it's even harder to enforce if the lines aren't really clear and simple.

Edited by B_Cdn

Driver: Ping 410 max

5-Wood: Wilson Dynapower

Hybrid: Titelist 818H2 

Irons: Calloway Apex 16

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0e 58, Ping S159s 54

Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premiere 11 

All Left Handed!  

This reminds me of the whole "people should dress up to fly on a airplane" conversation I have seen in the past, no I will dress how I feel comfortable and that is cargo shorts and a golf shirt that breathes and is untucked unless I am forced by a course to dress differently. 

Some posters on here need to worry about themselves, not everyone else. Pace of play, divot repair and green fixing is far more important. 

My rule would be no camo on the course including bags and hats, the camo craze is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. 😁 

Edited by hoppman

9 hours ago, hoppman said:

This reminds me of the whole "people should dress up to fly on a airplane" conversation I have seen in the past, no I will dress how I feel comfortable and that is cargo shorts and a golf shirt that breathes and is untucked unless I am forced by a course to dress differently. 

Some posters on here need to worry about themselves, not everyone else. Pace of play, divot repair and green fixing is far more important. 

My rule would be no camo on the course including bags and hats, the camo craze is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. 😁 

I have a 320 lb. buddy that would vehemently disagree with you. I don't think he leaves his house without some kind of camo on him. 😁

1 minute ago, silver & black said:

I have a 320 lb. buddy that would vehemently disagree with you. I don't think he leaves his house without some kind of camo on him. 😁

agree with the comment, wear what is comfortable to you as long as you arent showing your underwear or shirts that reveal that allows viewing into the chest area.

Obviously, beachwear is for the beach and not appropriate for a golf course.

Short sleeve or long sleeve shirt and long or short pants, i dont really care what color, style, design,  I just want to play my game and finish in a reasonable amount of time.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

On 4/16/2024 at 7:13 AM, B_Cdn said:

The tucked in shirt rule is dated

... Other than a private club (and even they might be subject to a lawsuit) when temps get to 110* and above telling someone they need their shirts tucked and trapping their body heat is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Last summer in Phoenix July had 30 out of 31 days at 110* or higher. Some days it was considerably higher. 

Edited by chisag

12 hours ago, chisag said:

... Other than a private club (and even they might be subject to a lawsuit) when temps get to 110* and above telling someone they need their shirts tucked and trapping their body heat is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Last summer in Phoenix July had 30 out of 31 days at 110* or higher. Some days it was considerably higher. 

I complain when the temperature is above 80!!! I saw 115 on the thermometer one time when we were in California. That's miserable.  

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!

12 minutes ago, VernL4 said:

I complain when the temperature is above 80!!! I saw 115 on the thermometer one time when we were in California. That's miserable.  

... Indiana humidity is very different than dry desert heat. I would say 100* here is equivalent to 80 with humidity. 110* is hot but when slowly working our way to that temperature, it isn't anywhere near as bad as 90* with high humidity. 

A few years ago I joined a private club .. to be able to play almost on demand, and to practice whenever I wanted .. and, yeah, there's a dress code .. and, yeah, I think it could be be a *little* more relaxed...

For example, I like to go untucked everywhere. I wear nice polos but still don't understand the insistence on being to be tucked in on the course.

Another example .. women like to wear leggings, but those are considered athletic wear and so not allowed. 

OTOH the dress code (whatever it actually is) at this club appears to me to be inconsistent - e.g. you'll see guys out there with large, colorful NFL or MLB team logos emblazoned across the chest...

Anyway first world problems and we're kinda committed to staying/playing there for the time being .. so "it is what it is"!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

On 4/15/2024 at 11:50 AM, chisag said:

... Never underestimate the ability of some to be upset about what someone else does. Especially if it doesn't affect them personally. Social media opened up a can of worms for the malcontent. There are so many that have objections to soooooo much. Mostly irrelevant to them personally but they have very strong opinions about others. 🙄 Ignoring Private Clubs that have the right to have any kind of dress code they want, what someone "wears" is and should be none of my business. How they "act" is much more important. I would much rather be paired with someone in cargo shorts and an untucked tee shirt with gym shoes that enjoys the game, plays ready golf and are pleasant company than someone decked out in slick dress pants and shirts tucked in with Foot Joy classics in a bad mood for the entire round because they aren't playing to their potential and are bordering on inebriation by the back 9.

I would much rather play some well dressed, well equipped drunk that attempts to trash talk.. Much easier to decimate their wallets and crush them verbally. Whereas the so-called sloppily dressed, no-social filtered, younger ( ageism inserted here ) skilled player is harder to separate from their money an are usually impervious to or unaware that their  comments are being verbally countered. 
 All that said.. I do enjoy and much prefer the known format, expectations of behavior at private clubs. 

• 3 weeks later...

There has to be some limits. I wear golf shorts with a polo and I have played most my life at public courses. It doesn’t have to be “stuffy”, but I do think some type of expectation needs to be out there. 

Jason Catlin, Ole Duffer

Fashions change. Compare how Ben Hogan dressed to how Johnny Miller dressed 20 years later.   Clubs need to keep up with the times within parameters that they set.  IMO casual golf shoes are modern style, they should be allowed. Public courses should have looser rules, but keep your shirt on.  I don’t mind  Tshirt at a public course, but I understand why clubs require a collared shirt.  Tucking in the said shirt is where I see a lot of private clubs draw the line.  I’m fine with that at a private club, at a muni, who cares?  I always wear a collared polo, except when I go to a public range on Saturday after mowing the lawn, I’m probably wearing a T Shirt.  

Ping G400

Ping G410 3,5,7

JPX 921 Hotmetal

Vokey 54, 58M

Odyssey #1 black

• 2 weeks later...
I’ve definitely lowered my expectations. Personally I love to dress nicely on the course but I won’t judge someone for wearing jeans and a hoodie or joggers and a t shirt. 

I will judge them if they play slow. 
Agreed. Slow play gets one ALL the judging from me. What you're wearing? I don't really care much myself.

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2024 at 8:08 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

I will admit I haven't read all 6 pages, but I'll put my 2 cents in. 

I like dressing for the occasion no matter what it is. 

When I started to golf last year I went out and bought a handful of outfits that met the code/image, and it made me feel good to show up for lessons like I meant it. 

I may have gone overboard since then. (don't look in my closet 😉 )

Granted, we've golfed at a few places where the dress code was more relaxed than others but it seems that most people really do enjoy dressing the part and find their own style within the code. 

All in all, how you dress when you golf does not affect my enjoyment of my round of golf, but I do like it that most courses have some kind of dress code, and I enjoy dressing for the occasion.

IMG_8261.jpeg.ac16674bad71b5f620ffd7b64f5f7656.jpeg

Edited by TriciaPug

I'm a skier, ski bootfitter, ski reviewer and forum owner for SkiTalk.com

WITB: Cobra

Driver Aerojet Max set at 13.5

AirX  3W, 5W, 7W, 4H, 5H, 7H,

Irons, 7, 8, 9, PW, GW, SW

King Cobra 3D Printed Putter with modified shaft

Outdated? Maybe. But I've never been a reason to get gussied up! People tend to treat you differently when you're dressed well.

I can, however, excuse an untucked shirt on a hot day after the turn..
Cheers
B

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

Yes

Driver: Titleist TSR2 10 degree Tensei AV Blue 55 shaft 

Fairway woods: TaylorMade Burner 15 degree and Titleist TS2 18 degree 

Irons: Ping G425 irons 5-PW w/ Alta CB graphite shafts

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 921 gap 51. Ping Glide sand wedge 56. Titleist Vokey SM-07 lob wedge 60

Grips: Golf Pride MCC midsize plus 4 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom (right and left handed)

Balls: Titleist Pro V1 and Titleist Velocity

• 2 weeks later...

In reading the majority of the thread, I gather opinions are relative, which isn't a surprise.

I think everyone who plays municipal courses should be able to do so without shirts tucked in, hats forward etc. and if you want to dress more formally do so at your own behest. I agree that the dress code at casual courses hurts the game significantly more than it helps it, that code needs changing at some courses.

I think it's appropriate for private clubs to set a code that must be adhered to based on their memberships. I could see how Augusta National wouldn't allow hats, jeans, short, etc. in the clubhouse however at our course, all are fine.  Relative to our membership, collard shirts are required to be tucked in, no jeans on the course, no cargo shorts and hats forward. It's very appropriate to our membership and was clearly presented when I joined. I specify to my guests the code before playing the first time.

Driver/3W:callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 8 Deg

3H:titleist-small:  - TSi2

4U:mizuno-small: - Mizuno Fli-Hi

5-GW:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Project X LZ 120g

56/60 :vokey-small: - SM9 KBS Tour Taper 120g

Ball:titleist-small: - ProV1x Left Dash

As far as it goes…I don’t much care, but I am a member of a private club that does care.So, I buy most of my golf clothes at thrift stores.  Greg Norman shirts for $4 works for me.  Dress pants can be had very cheap. And I find them cooler without the need for sunscreen on my basil cell riddled self.  Of course I am not there for a fashion show.  I seldom even notice what others wear.

Cobra LTDx one-length 6-SW

Cobra Aerojet 2,3,4,5 Hybrids--85g stiff shafts

Cobra F8 10.5* Driver 

Cleveland CBX 58* Wedge

Ping Anser2 G2 putter

Dedicated Walker