Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

League night and my scoring remained consistent with recent league rounds. 4 of 8 league nights so far this year I've shot 39 (+3) including today. Looks like we won our match (position night), so we may have moved up from our current 5th place out of 28 teams. Only 3-4 more weeks to go.

It's not a tough course. Slope 115 with no bunkers (city muni 9-hole), but plenty of opportunities to lose balls and go OOB. I left a bunch of shots on the course- leaving putts in the jaws of the hole, or making poor shot decisions when out of position.

Positives were putting overall (despite v slow greens resulting in excess putts), approach shots and chipping (two really good up and downs).

10-12mph winds made some of the tee shots and approaches interesting.

image.png.e11e7e16ff209625d4314c847f47eb13.png

Tomorrow will be interesting. I'm playing a course that is widely listed (social media golf groups and golfing accounts) as Indiana's #1 public course (Bear Slide GC, Cicero, IN). It'll be my first time playing what appears to be a pretty challenging course. Lots of contours, tricky well protected greens and tons of bunkers.

Bunkers are my nemesis as my local muni doesn't have any, so I rarely hit out of them. Haven't had the chance to hit local practice bunkers this week, so hoping to have time before the round to hit a few from the practice bunkers there!

Target, as always for new-to-me courses, is to break 80. From what I've heard of the course, 85 might be a decent first round score the way I've been putting and driving!lol

I suspect there will be more 3W and hybrid tee shot action than driver tomorrow!

@IndyBonzo- any tips for Bear Slide (assuming you've played there)?

Edited by Indy_Oz

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 MAX 9* w. Denali 60g 6.5 (XS)

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

14 hours ago, RPBRENNAN said:

Broke 90, with 89 for 18 at Turtlepoint CC in Killen, AL.

Congratulations!!! It feels great breaking a threshold!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

League report:

no 3 putts (whoo hoo!)
approach shots were money! (from flat lies.  uphill and dowhill lie approaches were pennies)
very consistent and no blow up holes (unchartered territory)

Driver - Stix Compete
7W - :ping-small: G5
9W - :callaway-small: Big Bertha War Bird
5H/SW - :callaway-small:Edge 
6H - :ping-small: G15
5-PW - :macgregor-small: MT-86 OS
56 - Kirkland Signature 
Putter - :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro

11 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

League night and my scoring remained consistent with recent league rounds. 4 of 8 league nights so far this year I've shot 39 (+3) including today. Looks like we won our match (position night), so we may have moved up from our current 5th place out of 28 teams. Only 3-4 more weeks to go.

It's not a tough course. Slope 115 with no bunkers (city muni 9-hole), but plenty of opportunities to lose balls and go OOB. I left a bunch of shots on the course- leaving putts in the jaws of the hole, or making poor shot decisions when out of position.

Positives were putting overall (despite v slow greens resulting in excess putts), approach shots and chipping (two really good up and downs).

10-12mph winds made some of the tee shots and approaches interesting.

image.png.e11e7e16ff209625d4314c847f47eb13.png

Tomorrow will be interesting. I'm playing a course that is widely listed (social media golf groups and golfing accounts) as Indiana's #1 public course (Bear Slide GC, Cicero, IN). It'll be my first time playing what appears to be a pretty challenging course. Lots of contours, tricky well protected greens and tons of bunkers.

Bunkers are my nemesis as my local muni doesn't have any, so I rarely hit out of them. Haven't had the chance to hit local practice bunkers this week, so hoping to have time before the round to hit a few from the practice bunkers there!

Target, as always for new-to-me courses, is to break 80. From what I've heard of the course, 85 might be a decent first round score the way I've been putting and driving!lol

I suspect there will be more 3W and hybrid tee shot action than driver tomorrow!

@IndyBonzo- any tips for Bear Slide (assuming you've played there)?

Hey @Indy_Oz!  I have played Bear Slide several times, but not this year.  It is a very attractive course, long but fair (and often windy).  I think you will love it.  I do not have enough course knowledge to impart much significant wisdom, but I will say this much:  a) checking it out ahead of time and creating a strategy will help you on this course, and b) picking your landing spots and distances on 10 and 15 is key.  Good luck with it and let me know how it goes, please!

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

24 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

Hey @Indy_Oz!  I have played Bear Slide several times, but not this year.  It is a very attractive course, long but fair (and often windy).  I think you will love it.  I do not have enough course knowledge to impart much significant wisdom, but I will say this much:  a) checking it out ahead of time and creating a strategy will help you on this course, and b) picking your landing spots and distances on 10 and 15 is key.  Good luck with it and let me know how it goes, please!

Thanks @IndyBonzo!

I've been checking out course preview on Arccos and the club recommendations. Looks like I'll be reaching for the 3W, hybrid and irons off the tee a fair amount. Definitely planning to plot my way round and not go for glory shots. 'Boring golf' is the target- as many FIR and GIR as possible and hope I putt well.lol

Perfect weather for a round there today. Wind projected to be 4-6mph, ~75-78f with mix of sun and cloud cover. Hopefully the quality of golf reflects the weather!

2024 WITB:

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

Been a frustrating 18 days or so, feeling like I’m on a roller coaster.  Played a local course twice in two days (The Bridges in Abbottstown, PA). I know the course well but haven’t played there all year.  First round shot 42/42/84 - second worst round of the year, and that was with two birdies.  Lipped out 6 putts from 3-6’.  But strangely wasn’t hitting that badly most of the day - just bad bounces, mediocre recovery shots, and misread lines all day.  

Went back the next day and played with one of the young guys who works there and an older friend of his, and shot 43/35(-1)/78, with three birdies, and everything I did wrong on the front was working on the back, including hitting every fairway and belting a 320y 3 wood off the tee on #10 to set up the first bird on the back.  Feeling pretty good.

…then I go out with my friend early last Sunday morning ago another tough course we haven’t played since April - The Links at Gettysburg - and I shoot 47/38/85 - the front I didn’t have a single par, and the back I bogeyed two holes.

I’m playing in the PA Senior Amateur Aug 5-6, and I feel like my game is a roulette wheel.  Struggled on the range two days ago to make good contact and compress the ball, duck hooking my 5i-3w, but can’t isolate the problems.  Think I wasn’t upright enough in my set up, and possibly positioning the ball too far forward, but felt a little like early extension at times, other times not loading my lead side properly, or staying down at impact… kind of at a loss. 

Don’t want to embarrass myself at the Amateur, so I’m going to take Thoreau’s advice and “simplify, simplify, simplify”, work on fundamentals in set up, posture, and hand positions, tempo… try to relax a little and play for fun over the next two weeks on family vacation.

Dan Yates, 55 year old trying to qualify for PA Senior Amateur in 2024; searching for some magic in my game again

Well, as I posted yesterday that I broke 80 for this first time this past weekend, I happened to do it the next day in a tournament! I went back to back days shooting 78...The back nine was my lowest nine ever at +3.

I play on the GTAAM Tour - A handicap based tour. 

AE6F6A1C-CCFB-4D87-BEE2-186F12384CA0.JPEG.6a77b7d201fb4e00092a64a6fd887196.JPEG

78 placed me in 3rd place! - My highest finish ever and this was also my 3rd tournament I've ever played in. I am extremely happy with my performance and another goal for the season was to get to a single digit handicap...well this round put me at a 9.9 handicap! BARELY a single digit, but I am very pleased with this. 

IMG_4693.jpg.afabc147ded257fdf7cf19315fd61ed6.jpg

Only had a few hiccups within the round - first hole jitters and some unlucky breaks on the course. I did what you should never do in a tournament - check the leaderboards on the 17th hole. I was tied for first at the time and pulled a Rory...Missed a 3ft putt to save par. Oh well, I have learned so much from my 3 events and competitive golf is a completely different beast. 

IMG_4729.jpg.cdd014cad13ff2137eb4c21db36e3055.jpg

Thank you to all the members who congratulated me on this milestone and I appreciate all of you! 

I have 2 more tournament for the season and then the Tour Championship in October. 

I think I need some MyGolfSpy swag for the course...MGS are you looking to sponsor??? 😉 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 - TENSEI AV Series White 65 Stiff

3wood: Taylormade Stealth - Ventus Blue Stiff 

Driving Iron: Ping Crossover 3iron - Ping Stiff 

Irons: 4-PW Titleist AP2 - Dynamic Gold S300 

Wedges: 52 Vokey SM6 (F Grind), 56 Vokey SM8 (D Grind), 60 Vokey SM9 (M Grind)

Putter: LAB MEZZ.1 MAX

Ball: Titleist TruFeel 

GPS: Garmin S70/CT10 Sensors (Current MGS Tester) 

16 minutes ago, cburins said:

Well, as I posted yesterday that I broke 80 for this first time this past weekend, I happened to do it the next day in a tournament! I went back to back days shooting 78...The back nine was my lowest nine ever at +3.

I play on the GTAAM Tour - A handicap based tour. 

AE6F6A1C-CCFB-4D87-BEE2-186F12384CA0.JPEG.6a77b7d201fb4e00092a64a6fd887196.JPEG

78 placed me in 3rd place! - My highest finish ever and this was also my 3rd tournament I've ever played in. I am extremely happy with my performance and another goal for the season was to get to a single digit handicap...well this round put me at a 9.9 handicap! BARELY a single digit, but I am very pleased with this. 

IMG_4693.jpg.afabc147ded257fdf7cf19315fd61ed6.jpg

Only had a few hiccups within the round - first hole jitters and some unlucky breaks on the course. I did what you should never do in a tournament - check the leaderboards on the 17th hole. I was tied for first at the time and pulled a Rory...Missed a 3ft putt to save par. Oh well, I have learned so much from my 3 events and competitive golf is a completely different beast. 

IMG_4729.jpg.cdd014cad13ff2137eb4c21db36e3055.jpg

Thank you to all the members who congratulated me on this milestone and I appreciate all of you! 

I have 2 more tournament for the season and then the Tour Championship in October. 

I think I need some MyGolfSpy swag for the course...MGS are you looking to sponsor??? 😉 

Another awesome round…keep going!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

18 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

Another awesome round…keep going!

Thanks TJ! Appreciate it

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 - TENSEI AV Series White 65 Stiff

3wood: Taylormade Stealth - Ventus Blue Stiff 

Driving Iron: Ping Crossover 3iron - Ping Stiff 

Irons: 4-PW Titleist AP2 - Dynamic Gold S300 

Wedges: 52 Vokey SM6 (F Grind), 56 Vokey SM8 (D Grind), 60 Vokey SM9 (M Grind)

Putter: LAB MEZZ.1 MAX

Ball: Titleist TruFeel 

GPS: Garmin S70/CT10 Sensors (Current MGS Tester) 

Went out yesterday and did a very warm 18 after work. Managed to come in 18 over. Shanked a few balls into the ether which slammed my score a bit 🤣 managed to cross something off the golf bucket list, managed to hit a power line with a high 3-wood which caused it to drop straight down into the water. Took a drop by the lake and managed to get it 220yards onto the green and putted out for a bogey.

Screenshot_20240719-195237.png.2c5b4a47fd202d29c96783f87d156d16.pngIMG_20240718_174551626_HDR.jpg.cf2f098e5c710d42a70322100a7d6bd7.jpg

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

Pretty meh day, shot an 84. Couldn't string two decent shots together, and when I did, I would 3-putt like a jerk. Greens were sanded recently which made it a little tricky, but no excuse for some of the horrible lag putts I made.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: :L.A.B.: DF3 x Accra

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

A ho hum 94 at the Holler, but it was a 51/45 so I was able to right the ship, as it were. Was riding a double bogey train for the first ten holes 😒

On the excellent news front, I hit four drives over 200 yards, and one 197, and still managed 57% FIR. My trouble spot is still my short game. Had a lesson with my amazing instructor yesterday on chipping and pitching, so I was attempting to apply new techniques and using new and various clubs to do it with, which might explain the slight bump in score. 

Even better, couldn’t have played with better company in better weather. Friday afternoon and we hit the lull between two leagues, and it was what we call millionaire’s golf - nobody in front or back, not having to wait on anyone. Scores mean nothing on a day like today!

Titleist TSR1, Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 3-4-5 hybrids, TaylorMade Qi10 irons 6i-P, Cleveland RTX wedges 54 and 58, SeeMore OG FSG blade, yet helpless without my ShotScope V5.

Over the last 3 days I have shot 79,79,80.  That sounds pretty good.....but, the first 79 was working hard to be 75, the second 79 was working hard to be 90, the 80 was on course to be an 86.   I don't recall the course installing a sauna, but.... It has been sweltering here in Ga at the moment.   For a dedicated walker this is a tough time of year.  Anywho, the second round was with my old Ping Eye 2+ irons.  Man, do I love the way they feel?  Which, of course, messed me up for the third round, especially on the front 9 resulting in a 43.  Did shoot 37 on the back to keep it a bit under control.  These last three round have raised my handicap back up to a 4.1...was at 3.8 for two whole days.  Got scared someone might think I am a good golfer.  So, I am back to a more comfortable position.  I cannot fathom how the pros do this.  They will shoot 62 one day then 75 the next.  I would lose my stinking mind.  I nearly had to have an ambulance after the 80.  I could feel my pride breaking while the veins in my surgically repaired neck throbbed enough to wake the dog when I got home.  I do not have the mental capacity to keep going one step forward, two back constantly.  Aaaarrrgghhh! 

A long time ago it took me a year to break 110, another to break 100, then another to break 90, then a couple to break 85.  Then the fight was on.  Took nearly 4-5 years to break 80 on a regular basis.  Then my hatred for par increased exponentially.  I am stalking that demon and will kill it off, but it is taking longer than I had hoped.  I actually shot a 71 on a par 72 course once, and only once, a few years ago, thought I had turned a corner.  I did, only to find par laughing at me maniacally.  Couldn't get below 80 regardless of my efforts or course played for many moons after that.  I am now knocking on the door again, but the difference between 75 and 71 is greatly simplified by math.  In practice, I see a steep mountain....again laughing at me....that will take a great effort to overcome.  But, you see, I do not shy away from a challenge!  The battle continues!  

Cobra LTDx one-length 6-SW

Cobra Aerojet 2,3,4,5 Hybrids--85g stiff shafts

Cobra F8 10.5* Driver 

Cleveland CBX 58* Wedge

Ping Anser2 G2 putter

Dedicated Walker

On 7/16/2024 at 7:31 AM, KC Golf said:

Played 36 yesterday. It was a ton of fun but couldn’t sink a putt to save my life. Bad execution on the greens. Just disappointed with my 5-10 ft range putts. Of the missed short putts. A third were slightly pulled and not hit on the right line the rest were over or under reading the breaks.  Only 1 birdie in 36 and I hit some really nice approach shots too.  Well I am hoping a new putter gets me on track. 

2 birdies for each round I have played with new Champions Choice Scotty care of @rkj427…  the putter looks and feels amazing.  Combination of heavy head and soft face.  Gaming it in my inter club next week for sure! 

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

Played my local go-to today and hit 14 greens…no lost balls, no hazards.

And shot 80.

Every now and then you need to get the bad putting rounds out of your system.  It was a 2:30 tee off and greens were a little long but not unplayable.  Just zero feel.

Some screenshots from the round.

IMG_1286.png

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

14 minutes ago, Indy_Oz said:

This afternoon/ evening I played at what seems to commonly be referred to (in local golfing FB groups at least) as Indiana's top public course: Bear Slide GC, Cicero, IN, USA.

Aside from the tee boxes begging for golfers to take more care and fill divots, the course is in fantastic shape. The fairways are consistently carpet-like and drives bound on a roll nicely. The greens are pure and moderately fast (certainly fast compared to my slow-greened local muni I play league on!). Bunkers were ok... but no more than that. They needed some attention to lighten up the sand and could do with rocks being sieved out. But they're better than a lot of local course bunkers near me (which really isn't saying much)...and there were plenty of bunkers to try to avoid!

image.png.792e6f118381a25f1e8fe74e7aea7a94.png

The ever changing views, contours and hazards made for added interest as we made our way round.

A4864A78-181E-42F2-90CB-7652EE8C6438_1_105_c.jpeg.85888955c7c6ebe2e7167d3054c2e358.jpeg

IMG_6184.jpeg.27666a790aea93292cd44eea4073d8ec.jpeg

IMG_6190.jpeg.3f066d1ee97e150b2e85fa25a1a8f17e.jpeg

IMG_6199.jpeg.0972fc314dcce254008635d0b01f16ea.jpeg

IMG_6201.jpeg.a341d8a5b8d9796027558258fe5607a4.jpeg

IMG_6197.jpeg.f54ee6c0918a8ba2c3e012225a4ba288.jpeg

I played a blue-white tee combo (solo I would play blue, but i was with friends). For that combo, the course slope rating was around 130. I shot 82 (+11). Not too bad for a first visit, but very frustrating! Some prior course knowledge would have helped a ton.

Front 9 was a frustrating 43. Starting double, double was very disappointing. After a decent warm up on the range, my usually-trusty 3W failed me. Or rather I failed it and put in a couple of just awful tee shots that set me up for failure. I slowly levelled things out and even managed to birdie one of the par 5s.

9F9CAD0C-A6FC-4965-B49B-4D51FDA20F21_1_201_a.jpeg.7d78e82a45aba75fb426d6e476dc9761.jpeg

Fortunately, the back 9 was a better affair: 39, +3, that could have been notably better without having to punch out from trees on 18, after what I thought would be a great tee shot and then hit the approach heavy and short. Frustrating way to finish the round.

54DCD4A9-78C7-48C1-AAB6-70FCF2DAD8EC_1_201_a.jpeg.e7cd56cd659697114f4861c3e4f52434.jpeg

Arccos had the following as highlights:

651AEEF2-4FB2-4094-9B56-F76F1E30293D_1_201_a.jpeg.16b5ad875aa66d3c4e8fd93aba7a4711.jpeg

Off the tee- barring a few early round bad strikes, I was solid. Driver was straight every time, for a change. I only reached for it 4/5 times, but they all flew straight of v slight fade and only missed fairways as the fairways either narrowed a lot or I hit the first cut areas between two fairway sections (twice). Really happy with driver, 3W and hybrid overall.

Chipping was my biggest challenge today. The grass was sufficiently different to that i'm used to at the muni. Tight rough and fairways (latter also fairly soft). More time spent chipping in warm up would have been good. Noted for future.

Putting was really good and likely my best performance with the flat stick this year!. The new Scotty Phantom X7 (thanks @rkj427!), combined with the old version TP5X really worked well on these greens. For me anyway. Feel and roll was great and I was reading the greens mostly pretty well. I used the putter a few additional times in 'Texas wedge' mode from the short-cut approach and run off areas.

I'm really liking the Golf Pride Reverse Taper Pistol (large) putter grip. It definitely seems to help me with alignment and face control. So far so good.

One thing this has reminded me is that I need to play more variety of courses to get sharper and better. It's easy to fall into the convenience rut of just playing the local muni, particularly as I play league there weekly.

Bear Slide it's definitely a course I want to go back to! I have unfinished business there and feel a mid to high 70s round is possible for me.

(@IndyBonzo)

IMG_6194.jpeg

@Indy_Oz that is a truly excellent score for your first round at Bear Slide.  Well done!   You should be proud.

I hope we get a chance to go out and play together.  Maybe there at Bear Slide.  It would be a fun time.

Your photos are gorgeous.  Beautiful.  I miss Bear Slide now!

• :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

10 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

@Indy_Oz that is a truly excellent score for your first round at Bear Slide.  Well done!   You should be proud.

I hope we get a chance to go out and play together.  Maybe there at Bear Slide.  It would be a fun time.

Your photos are gorgeous.  Beautiful.  I miss Bear Slide now!

Thank you! 
Yeah I’m very happy with the score for a first visit. My goal was sub-85 with a ‘stretch goal’ of break 80. 
I’ve definitely learnt a few things for next time but I was also lucky to avoid all greenside bunkers somehow! Only hit one bunker all round and that was a fairway bunker I had to chop out of as I was up against the front lip. But overall fortunate to avoid more! 

It’s a fun track!

Yes, we will sort out a round soon. Definitely. 

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

Played today in what could only be described as “Open” conditions. 50 degrees and 20+ mph winds, with some rain rolling through occasionally. Really happy with most of my game. 9 over playing off 7. Happy with my ball striking, only a few uncommitted shots. Most of my game was solid and really enjoyed the day despite the conditions. Had a post round Guinness as a tribute to Shane Lowry😅

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

8 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

This afternoon/ evening I played at what seems to commonly be referred to (in local golfing FB groups at least) as Indiana's top public course: Bear Slide GC, Cicero, IN, USA.

Aside from the tee boxes begging for golfers to take more care and fill divots, the course is in fantastic shape. The fairways are consistently carpet-like and drives bound on a roll nicely. The greens are pure and moderately fast (certainly fast compared to my slow-greened local muni I play league on!). Bunkers were ok... but no more than that. They needed some attention to lighten up the sand and could do with rocks being sieved out. But they're better than a lot of local course bunkers near me (which really isn't saying much)...and there were plenty of bunkers to try to avoid!

The ever changing views, contours and hazards made for added interest as we made our way round.

A4864A78-181E-42F2-90CB-7652EE8C6438_1_105_c.jpeg.85888955c7c6ebe2e7167d3054c2e358.jpeg

I played a blue-white tee combo (solo I would play blue, but i was with friends). For that combo, the course slope rating was around 130. I shot 82 (+11). Not too bad for a first visit, but very frustrating! Some prior course knowledge would have helped a ton.

Front 9 was a frustrating 43. Starting double, double was very disappointing. After a decent warm up on the range, my usually-trusty 3W failed me. Or rather I failed it and put in a couple of just awful tee shots that set me up for failure. I slowly levelled things out and even managed to birdie one of the par 5s.

9F9CAD0C-A6FC-4965-B49B-4D51FDA20F21_1_201_a.jpeg.7d78e82a45aba75fb426d6e476dc9761.jpeg

Fortunately, the back 9 was a better affair: 39, +3, that could have been notably better without having to punch out from trees on 18, after what I thought would be a great tee shot and then hit the approach heavy and short. Frustrating way to finish the round.

54DCD4A9-78C7-48C1-AAB6-70FCF2DAD8EC_1_201_a.jpeg.e7cd56cd659697114f4861c3e4f52434.jpeg

651AEEF2-4FB2-4094-9B56-F76F1E30293D_1_201_a.jpeg.16b5ad875aa66d3c4e8fd93aba7a4711.jpeg

Off the tee- barring a few early round bad strikes, I was solid. Driver was straight every time, for a change. I only reached for it 4/5 times, but they all flew straight of v slight fade and only missed fairways as the fairways either narrowed a lot or I hit the first cut areas between two fairway sections (twice). Really happy with driver, 3W and hybrid overall.

Chipping was my biggest challenge today. The grass was sufficiently different to that i'm used to at the muni. Tight rough and fairways (latter also fairly soft). More time spent chipping in warm up would have been good. Noted for future.

Putting was really good and likely my best performance with the flat stick this year!. The new Scotty Phantom X7 (thanks @rkj427!), combined with the old version TP5X really worked well on these greens. For me anyway. Feel and roll was great and I was reading the greens mostly pretty well. I used the putter a few additional times in 'Texas wedge' mode from the short-cut approach and run off areas.

I'm really liking the Golf Pride Reverse Taper Pistol (large) putter grip. It definitely seems to help me with alignment and face control. So far so good.

One thing this has reminded me is that I need to play more variety of courses to get sharper and better. It's easy to fall into the convenience rut of just playing the local muni, particularly as I play league there weekly.

Bear Slide it's definitely a course I want to go back to! I have unfinished business there and feel a mid to high 70s round is possible for me.

(@IndyBonzo)

IMG_6194.jpeg

That’s a gorgeous landscape. Nice round!

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

8 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

(@IndyBonzo)

IMG_6194.jpeg

That course looks amazing in the pics.  Looked like a perfect day too.

i share the same karma with you on the flat stick. @rkj427 really sent us some great putters.  I have gotten a few guys coming over to me on the practice green asking me about it.  My putter has this copper inlay that makes the putts sounds sweet as they head to the cup.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

So, my last round was on Monday.  I hit 11/14 fairways, and 14/18 greens.  Made 5 birdies and shot 76.  

golf is darn hard

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

5 hours ago, KC Golf said:

That course looks amazing in the pics.  Looked like a perfect day too.

i share the same karma with you on the flat stick. @rkj427 really sent us some great putters.  I have gotten a few guys coming over to me on the practice green asking me about it.  My putter has this copper inlay that makes the putts sounds sweet as they head to the cup.

The Scottys do seem to be working out well for the buyers, that’s for sure! 
the copper inlays do look great! Good to hear the feel and sound is as good as the aesthetics. 
The weather was perfect for us. Mid to high 70s and only a light breeze (3-6mph).

Edited by Indy_Oz

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

22 hours ago, gingerbeast87 said:

Went out yesterday and did a very warm 18 after work. Managed to come in 18 over. Shanked a few balls into the ether which slammed my score a bit 🤣 managed to cross something off the golf bucket list, managed to hit a power line with a high 3-wood which caused it to drop straight down into the water. Took a drop by the lake and managed to get it 220yards onto the green and putted out for a bogey.

Screenshot_20240719-195237.png.2c5b4a47fd202d29c96783f87d156d16.pngIMG_20240718_174551626_HDR.jpg.cf2f098e5c710d42a70322100a7d6bd7.jpg

One of my old tracks had powerlines. I'm pretty sure I've caught them perhaps even on back to back shots. Local rule was you could replay the last shot without penalty IIRC. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybrid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :callaway-small:  Tour X 2024
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours or Sketchers Max Fairway Go 4

I played 18 today and probably had the biggest turnaround between 9's I've ever had. I had a 48 on the front 9 including a triple (two pitches) double (chunk), bogey (hitting hybrid only 120 yards instead of 190.) On the back I started bogey, bogey then went on a massive run (20 footer for birdie, 80 foot 2 putt for par, chip in for birdie off the green, another chip to a foot to save par and then a flop and run wedge off a hill and 6 footer to save par. I bogeyed that back on a lip out to finish 37. I believe that was my best ever 9. 

85 is my best score in 2 if not 3 years. Guess my goal next year needs to be break 80.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybrid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :callaway-small:  Tour X 2024
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours or Sketchers Max Fairway Go 4

22 hours ago, gingerbeast87 said:

When I was younger, my home course in the UK had power lines across two fairways. There was a local rule in place that if you hit the power lines within the course (not out of bounds) you could just hit again with no penalty. I hit those power lines at least three times. Twice in comps! I guess they were right in my driver flight window. Ha ha 
I’ve told friends to do the same when playing a casual round. For league/comps I would check local rules. 
You may have been able to save yourself a bogey! If it’s a regular course for you, might be worth checking with the course if they have such a local rule in place. 

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

54 minutes ago, Indy_Oz said:

When I was younger, my home course in the UK had power lines across two fairways. There was a local rule in place that if you hit the power lines within the course (not out of bounds) you could just hit again with no penalty. I hit those power lines at least three times. Twice in comps! I guess they were right in my driver flight window. Ha ha 
I’ve told friends to do the same when playing a casual round. For league/comps I would check local rules. 
You may have been able to save yourself a bogey! If it’s a regular course for you, might be worth checking with the course if they have such a local rule in place. 

Yeah I went back and checked the local rules and i should have taken a drop with free relief from my original point 🤦‍♂️

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

Playing golf today was a great example of why I love this fickle game.

I had the pleasure of meeting @GolfSpy_BEN in person and playing 18 with him at Legendary Run golf course near Cincinnati.  As you all would expect, Ben is a kind, gracious, supportive, and fun golf partner.  He hit some truly great drives today too, and although not playing his best, still scored well and remained a constantly great companion.  I look forward to playing with Ben again sometime soon.

IMG_6505.jpeg.6f61ca39f7b513e217a9cf0f7aa00ac3.jpeg

What makes golf so great is that we could have such a good time despite my play.  How’d I play?

IMG_6507.png.cb19f79fc0dd9c7f1aedd25ebbe6dc8b.png

That about captures it.  There were some good flashes, but yeah.  And I don’t care.  Cannot wait to play again.  Better.

Thanks for the great time @GolfSpy_BEN.

47 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

Playing golf today was a great example of why I love this fickle game.

I had the pleasure of meeting @GolfSpy_BEN in person and playing 18 with him at Legendary Run golf course near Cincinnati.  As you all would expect, Ben is a kind, gracious, supportive, and fun golf partner.  He hit some truly great drives today too, and although not playing his best, still scored well and remained a constantly great companion.  I look forward to playing with Ben again sometime soon.

IMG_6505.jpeg.6f61ca39f7b513e217a9cf0f7aa00ac3.jpeg

What makes golf so great is that we could have such a good time despite my play.  How’d I play?

IMG_6507.png.cb19f79fc0dd9c7f1aedd25ebbe6dc8b.png

That about captures it.  There were some good flashes, but yeah.  And I don’t care.  Cannot wait to play again.  Better.

Thanks for the great time @GolfSpy_BEN.

It's awesome y'all got to meet up and get a round in.