How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

42 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Exec 9 this morning, 65* and HEAVY FOG.  We didn’t think they would let us out, could not see a green all morning. 
We all played great, don’t know how. 
Played 2 over with 2 Bogies and missed 2 make-able Birdies.
Hope we have more Fog tomorrow 👍

I've played in thick fog.  I think it makes you focus more, so not so many errant shots.  Nice round!

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, Syks7 said:

Got a chance to play Braemar CC yesterday (West 9/ US Open 9) via a charity scramble for an organization I'm on the board of. 

Played with one buddy I play with regularly (9.5 index) and two random Architectural services reps we got paired with.  (Guessing 25+?).  It was a very good time and we carded a totally honest 68 together on a 70.3/130 course that none of us had seen before.  We got a little help from the other guys (gave them the first crack at the short birdies, because who doesn't like holing those out) but for the most part I think it was my buddy and I that put it together.  We didn't win because charity scramble  😄 (63...)  🤔 😅.   Not as egregious of a scramble score as I've seen but also not believable unless Brad Faxon was putting.  We also didn't use any of the purchase mulligans, though we did donate to purchase an eagle, which we then actually eagled via play.  Downhill Part 5 --  my drive to 220, my buddies 3 iron to 12 ft, and my putt.  🙂 

Play wise:

Off the tee:  I was inconsistent with driver, three wood, and hybrid.  The course is narrow, hilly, and technical and it was feast or famine.  Some of that is being highly aggressive one we had one in play but some of it is also just mishits.  I did manage to hit two of  the best intentional draws I've ever attempted: one with a 5 iron on a short uphill dogleg par 4 with a hill blocking any chance of cutting the corner and one with Driver on a severely sloping left to right fairway on a long par 4.  I was much better with my irons hitting 3 of the shots we used on the 4 par 3s.  

Long Irons:  Great off the tee, not as good off the fairway.  Not bad, but not as good as I would have liked.

Short Irons:  Stellar.  We probably used my 8 iron to 54 shots 75% of the time yesterday.  I was just dialed and seemed to also be able to shape at will to get it close on very difficult greens.  

Short wedges:  Pretty good but I only need to hit a short chip 3 or 4 times yesterday as we only had 3 bogies.  I did manage to get a lot of them pretty close though.

Putting:  I had an excellent day putting the highlights of which were a 41'-10" (We measured for closes to the pin) right to left uphill to downhill putt for birdie, the 12 footer for eagle, several long lags that helped us save par, and a couple more birdie putts.  I felt confident with it all day. I wish muni's could get closer to that speed it's so much easier to putt well when you're confident that the ball will stay on the line you putt it on without having to take a full swing.  

I know it was a charity scramble but I felt like my buddy and I would have carded decent rounds even if we'd been playing solo.  It was a blast and a great way to spend my 39th birthday.  

One of the widest fairways of the day...

PXL_20211206_220842205.jpg.c32ae008d215d865c4f6f5fb80b53e03.jpg

My approach

PXL_20211206_221553159.jpg.1b795d4f37af06b1a2d7788d13328531.jpg

The Tee that I sponsored

PXL_20211206_233712305.jpg.d57e4fcec76688b65e1ea16806c6e857.jpg

My buddy Rory and I after finishing our last hole.

PXL_20211207_000427292_MP.jpg.64f0d999b317e7bfb55ea4c59398e3f4.jpg

Nice job!!  And a great birthday present.  Congrats!!

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I've played in thick fog.  I think it makes you focus more, so not so many errant shots.  Nice round!

Thanks,  definitely an interesting morning.  You could be right about “focus”.  I usually don’t get excited about Execs.

• Like 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Wedges; Titleist S9 54*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Don’t like to play this late in the season our course is sometimes closed for frost warning. But it was nice day and there many players out today. I have been practicing my new putting and chipping stroke and wanted to test it out   One three putt on the 2nd green but rest putting was was really good Made all my putts inside 10 feet and every lag putt was within 3 feet except for that 3 putt on 2nd green 
My tee ball sucked though.  Oh well 😔 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Friday Bacon Boyz 9, still foggy but nice mid 60’s.  Driver still not happy but irons are OK. 
The King of the Bag right now is 5 Steelhead hybrid.  Saved me on both Par 4’s.  Ended up +5 with a nasty double that was just pure stupid, try to make a career fareway bunker shot and landed in the green side bunker.  OOPS.

Not bad to get to a greenside bunker from a fairway bunker.  We don't have very many fairway bunkers; only on a couple of par 5's and one par 4.  I'd be happy getting to a greenside bunker from any of them!!

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Not bad to get to a greenside bunker from a fairway bunker.  We don't have very many fairway bunkers; only on a couple of par 5's and one par 4.  I'd be happy getting to a greenside bunker from any of them!!

Thanks, it was a good try but definitely overreach with the 5 hybrid.  There’s also water that can come into play so at least I didn’t push it into the pond. 
Taking weekend off give my elbow some rest.

• Like 6

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Wedges; Titleist S9 54*

8 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

It's SWMBO's birthday today and she is a bigger golf nut than me so we played 18.  Temp is warm for mid Dec at 59* but it was very windy...15mph at least for most of the day.  She is hitting the early birthday present G410 irons real well and shot a 79.  

For me two's were wild today but not on the scorecard...2 doubles, 2 bogeys and 2 birdies for a 76.  Putting stroke has made an appearance after taking 1-1/2 months off.  One of those doubles was a 4 putt because the wind blew the ball back to my feet twice after i hit an uphill 15'er.  Same thing happened on another hole but only once for a 3 putt.  Even with those I was still thrilled with my putting overall with 31 putts.

Shot / hole of the day was a pulled drive that the wind did not bring back ending up on the edge of a steep creek bed, had to swing left handed, 7 iron toe hit that moved the ball about 30 yards into the fairway and I nipped a wedge to about 5' and saved par by sinking the putt!  

It was a fun day...done in 2:54 since we jumped around a couple times to escape the slow play in front of us before circling back around to get those holes in.

First off, happy birthday to your wife and if she's a bigger golf nut than you, you got a good one.

That left handed 7 iron shot is hard to pull off and that's impressive! I'm glad the two of you were able to get out and enjoy the day together. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

It's SWMBO's birthday today and she is a bigger golf nut than me so we played 18.  Temp is warm for mid Dec at 59* but it was very windy...15mph at least for most of the day.  She is hitting the early birthday present G410 irons real well and shot a 79.  

For me two's were wild today but not on the scorecard...2 doubles, 2 bogeys and 2 birdies for a 76.  Putting stroke has made an appearance after taking 1-1/2 months off.  One of those doubles was a 4 putt because the wind blew the ball back to my feet twice after i hit an uphill 15'er.  Same thing happened on another hole but only once for a 3 putt.  Even with those I was still thrilled with my putting overall with 31 putts.

Shot / hole of the day was a pulled drive that the wind did not bring back ending up on the edge of a steep creek bed, had to swing left handed, 7 iron toe hit that moved the ball about 30 yards into the fairway and I nipped a wedge to about 5' and saved par by sinking the putt!  

It was a fun day...done in 2:54 since we jumped around a couple times to escape the slow play in front of us before circling back around to get those holes in.

Happy Birthday Mrs SWMBO!!👍

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Wedges; Titleist S9 54*