L.A.B. DF3 Putters - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts via the links below!

@jbern - Main Post 

@MattWillGolf - Main Post 

@CFreddie - Main Post 

@Cfhandyman - Main Post 

@GolfSpy MPR - Main Post 

@Steve F - Main Post

5 hours ago, G-Ram said:

I sent an email today, no reply yet. If I had to guess, another 2-3 weeks. 
Was holding out hope it would arrive by this Thursday, as I'm headed to Nova Scotia for the Canadian Team Titleist event, but no joy there

I ordered on 6/1 (technically 6/2 since I placed my order at night, Hawaii time) and got mine 7/1. The wait sucks for sure!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB DF3

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I got Nemo out this morning for 9 holes. I was very pleased with how my putting is improving. Especially distance control. My 2-putts are finishing closer to the hole after the 1st putt. I also had a 1-putt of 18-feet today. I continue to use the DF3 from off of the green. My only three putt was from a skulled wedge that left me putting downhill from over 30 feet. It didn't end well. 🤦‍♂️The numbers today. One 3-putt. Six 2-putts and two one putts. My mantra with the DF3 is point and let the putter do the work. "Calm hands". 🙏

image.png.ec65754993cb81a3d0a7d15c70ab8fd1.png  Anyday Maverick Black Ops 7-way

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Fujikura Motore X F3

:PXG:0211 Hybrid 3 19° w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 70

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

image.png.0f5b009ff3d83fdae5e2e361f9676226.png DF3 w/BGT Stability ONE Forum Test

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:OnCore: Elixr 

:Clicgear: 3.5+

Terrific thread and contributors here, been reading it for the last month or so.  I got fitted into a 32.5”/72deg Link.1 last summer with Accra shaft by Club Champion.  I had never heard of LAB, but was the most consistent with it during the fitting process so I decided to pull the trigger on a $750 putter.   They built it with my grip (GolfPride Tour SNSR 140cc - which weighs 130g).  My Link.1 experience was that it was a champ for helping me to start my putts on target and on-line consistently, almost point and shoot like.  But I struggled mightily with pace control and a lack of feel.  I went back for another fitting and the laser tool showed that I was presenting the face loft too upright (green laser dot was not even hitting the wall).  Not ideal and not a good fit for me…. And the more I researched pace control the more info I came across about putter weight, so I weighed the Link and it was 607g with my preferred grip on it.  Vs my research saying “ideal” putter weight should be in the 530-545g range.  I know the grip added ~50g but it would still weigh almost 550g.  Anyways, I ended up getting fitted into an Edel Array F3 putter and I’m much better with it.  I wanted to like the DF3 but I can’t get past the negative loft (in my case) and the hands forward press look at address.  Maybe someday I’ll give whatever the newest LAB model is a try, because I’m a believer.  But I do wonder if the heavier putter weights and relatively upright fixed 2deg putter loft that LAB’s technology currently limits you to are also negatively impacting others?  Did anyone else struggle with pace?

^^^ Interesting. Made me go weigh my two putters.

Clearly the Link.1 is very different than the DF3, but my 35" DF3 w Accra shaft & Press Pistol 2º grip (58g) is 497g. My 35" Evnroll ER5B with P2 Touch Tour grip (85g) is 519g.

I know I am sensitive to weight as I used to have an Evnroll EV5.3 and I increased the weights (added 30g w 2x29g weights) in the sole assuming it would help me keep the putter on path. It hurt my distance control and didn't help path, so I went back to the stock weights (2x14g).

I am sure I would never get along with a 607g putter, but there is no universal right answer - to each his/her own.

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

9 hours ago, golfsh00ter said:

Terrific thread and contributors here, been reading it for the last month or so.  I got fitted into a 32.5”/72deg Link.1 last summer with Accra shaft by Club Champion.  I had never heard of LAB, but was the most consistent with it during the fitting process so I decided to pull the trigger on a $750 putter.   They built it with my grip (GolfPride Tour SNSR 140cc - which weighs 130g).  My Link.1 experience was that it was a champ for helping me to start my putts on target and on-line consistently, almost point and shoot like.  But I struggled mightily with pace control and a lack of feel.  I went back for another fitting and the laser tool showed that I was presenting the face loft too upright (green laser dot was not even hitting the wall).  Not ideal and not a good fit for me…. And the more I researched pace control the more info I came across about putter weight, so I weighed the Link and it was 607g with my preferred grip on it.  Vs my research saying “ideal” putter weight should be in the 530-545g range.  I know the grip added ~50g but it would still weigh almost 550g.  Anyways, I ended up getting fitted into an Edel Array F3 putter and I’m much better with it.  I wanted to like the DF3 but I can’t get past the negative loft (in my case) and the hands forward press look at address.  Maybe someday I’ll give whatever the newest LAB model is a try, because I’m a believer.  But I do wonder if the heavier putter weights and relatively upright fixed 2deg putter loft that LAB’s technology currently limits you to are also negatively impacting others?  Did anyone else struggle with pace?

Thanks for the compliment and you have a very interesting putter story. Pace is not something that I struggled with throughout this test. Yes, I have hit a putt poorly that lead to leaving putts well short or long, but it was more due to incorrect reads/poor distance guessing. I do have the counterbalance option on the DF3 and right about the time the DF3 test was announced, MyGolfSpy came out with an article about counterbalance putters and indicated that for the right person, counterbalance could be something that considerably helps with pace control. I don't know if this was true for me, but I do know that it made the transition from my armlock putter to the DF3 much smoother. The counterbalance version also doesn't have the integrated shaft lean like the Press II series of grips.

All this to say, if you're interested in giving the DF3 a go again, maybe the counterbalance version would be something to toss in the hat. 

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter: LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE ‘24

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

12 hours ago, golfsh00ter said:

Not an official tester but I've had issues in the past with my DF 2.1 and speed control, specifically having a hard time getting the ball to the cup. Not sure if it was the face being soft, or the stability tour shaft, but it was a struggle and I would always need to make a conscious effort to hit it hard.

The DF3 feels firmer off the face, and overall the putter feels more solid with the Accra shaft in practice. Still waiting for my maiden voyage round since getting my DF3 earlier this week.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB DF3

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

The Lab rat continues to impress image.png.88c96cc9c9c376865c5ec5e24198fe2a.pngand is slowly turning into a long range bombing threat from anywhere on the green.  Yesterday, a 35 footer for birdie.  In almost 25 rounds of play with the L.A.B. DF3, a number of 20+ foot putts made.  My longest to date, a 68 footer.  Other side of the green, it felt like I was putting from a different area code and all I was trying to do, is get it somewhere close to the hole.  In all honesty, I knew I was looking at at least a three putt.  To my utter shock and amazement, the closer it got to the hole, I thought hey this looks pretty good and it kept rolling and rolling straight into the cup.  Still can't believe that one.  Overall, although make percentage from 20 plus feet is low (< 2%), its not zero.  But it does show that if you get the read, the line and the speed right, it has a chance.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: L.A.B. DF3, TPT shaft, pistol grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg