Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Effort is there.Just can’t get it

24 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

When he is practicing the lesson plan how is he doing it?

How many swings doing whatever drill?

How many full swings?

At what speed is he doing the drills and does it match what’s prescribed in the lesson plan?

We tee up every shot.His swing speed is 71 mphs with a driver..but I’m having a heck of a time having him hit 7 irons 50 yards working on transition.He just looks so uncoordinated Ricky.Like he always looks out of place or so un un athletic.Having him hit 5balls, than review and analyze.Sessions are 40 mins max.The lesson plan had him start at half backswing to follow thru.Simple starting point,with a swing that has a millions of issues.Keeping it simple, little chip 7 irons adding more loft at impact forgetting about shaft lean.Ball position not as far up and more of a closed stance to help with his lack of turn.

Even this simple drill chipping 7 irons is difficult for him.Such a hard game this is 

@Goober first of, you’re a great friend for trying to be so helpful. Wow. I’ve been reading this string and there’s been so much good advice, and I’m not an instructor. So not much I can really add. But my personal experience when I was trying to ease back into the game was to be slow but intentional about things. Of course this worked for me because it fit my learning style … everyone learns differently.

I focused on getting my irons going first. So practice would be 9, 7, 5 irons starting with half swings and easy speed. This did a couple of things for me. It helped me focus on consistent contact and helped build confidence. The shots didn’t go far. But I started to see consistency and straight ball flight. I’d then start to get to a full swing being focused on starting my takeaway from my shoulder rotation and rotating my core. It’s hard to ask him to “reset” in the middle of the season. But maybe in the winter or off season he can spend this time “rebuilding”.

Good luck!

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Goober said:

We met up yesterday and he told me he really wants to keep a idealogy of being a one planer.Made me chuckle a bit.On the tip of my tongue I wanted to tell him don’t worry about plane.Just worry about getting all your shots airborne off a tee.Such a hard game 

Hey at least your friend is actively engaged and thinking about things! That’s awesome. Didn’t Leadbetter’s “A Approach” and “Stack and Tilt” focus on a single plane idea?

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

On 6/26/2024 at 7:35 AM, Hacker60521 said:

Hey at least your friend is actively engaged and thinking about things! That’s awesome. Didn’t Leadbetter’s “A Approach” and “Stack and Tilt” focus on a single plane idea?

I think your right.He went to a Jim Hardy golf school a few years back.And they grouped him in the single plane camp.Not to up on Jim Hardy or his teachings to verify what a true one plane swing is.Do agree, being engaging is healthy for the mind and soul.Just trying to reel him in and not get off track either.

• 4 weeks later...

I see now, good for him!  It looks as if he's just chopping the ground at the ball and not sweeping the club through the ball.

None of his coaching has addressed this?

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

47 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I see now, good for him!  It looks as if he's just chopping the ground at the ball and not sweeping the club through the ball.

None of his coaching has addressed this?

His lessons have addressed this. It’s what using a tee is for on the shots. 

It’s goin to take a lot of time to change his movement patterns and not chop at the ball and the likelihood that they do change to the point of hitting balls closer to how most people do is going to be low. 

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

His lessons have addressed this. It’s what using a tee is for on the shots. 

It’s goin to take a lot of time to change his movement patterns and not chop at the ball and the likelihood that they do change to the point of hitting balls closer to how most people do is going to be low. 

So agree Ricky. I’m always supportive of him and his enthusiasm has risen the last few weeks. My goal is to see him enjoy a round of golf again with no tee everywhere. He is so stuck on one plane versus two plane Jim hardy teachings. I’ve pushed him slowly towards Monte’s NTC/..with less emphasis on a one or two plane swing. But more on getting the ball In the air. This thread is a prime example on how hard this game truly is 

9 minutes ago, Goober said:

So agree Ricky. I’m always supportive of him and his enthusiasm has risen the last few weeks. My goal is to see him enjoy a round of golf again with no tee everywhere. He is so stuck on one plane versus two plane Jim hardy teachings. I’ve pushed him slowly towards Monte’s NTC/..with less emphasis on a one or two plane swing. But more on getting the ball In the air. This thread is a prime example on how hard this game truly is 

You’re doing a good job of encouraging and working with him.

I don’t recall if you posted an old swing or not, but I’m guessing that even with his preference/belief in the one plane swing he wasn’t close to having that type of swing and that he had similar motions to what he has now. So really the focus shouldn’t be on any one style but getting better movement patterns. Which is probably going to be hard to do at his age and what he’s accustomed to do in the swing.

just has to get better little by little to do what Monte game him to do

something i've found in my own game is that I needed to just play and get outta my own head. stop thinking so much over the ball. enjoy it!

TourEdge 721 9.5º Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 60 S
TourEdge 721Pro 15º Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Orange Graphite 75 S
Callaway Apex UW 19º Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 70 S
Mizuno JPX921 Irons 4-GW True Temper Project X Steel 6.0 S
Taylormade HiToe 54º & 58º KBS HiRev 2.0 115
Mizuno TP Mills Workshop Design II Putter
Vice Pro Plus

On 7/19/2024 at 2:17 PM, Goober said:

This thread is a prime example on how hard this game truly is 

..and of yours and your friend's determination!! 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg