5 Wood or Hybrid, which do you prefer?

Its kinda hard for me to judge this one. I have never owned a 5 wood and i do love my hydrids i play a 5 and 3 hybrid then a 3 wood or my mini driver. 3 wood is by far my favorite club so i believe i wood get along with a 5 wood great and plan to test that theory later this summer when i can afford to purchase one. To me i hit my hybrids as easy as my 3 wood. I would amagin it wood be the same with a 5 wood just more loft.

Love my apex irons and my brnr mini. Still fighting for par. Hitem straight...

On 6/20/2024 at 1:26 PM, tdroma98 said:

At some point, I may change to a 4 wood - 16 degree.  But not sure which Hybrid will be the victim.  

I am loving my 16.5*.  I don't see it coming out of the bag anytime soon. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Recently took the 3H out of the bag and swapped in the 5W,  which is a prior generation PING but still very good.  I feel like I get better control with it and I can hit that more solidly.  The hybrids I just struggle with more than the woods.  I have also a 3 and 7 wood in my bag, and I much prefer them to the hybrid.  I now have a 4 hybrid but funny enough I use it for long chips as I just like the loft on it and am able to get the bump and run on that which I like.  Overall for me I will almost always prefer to the fairway wood to the hybrid except for thicker rough, when going with the hybrid is a good option. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

Oddly enough I have a 3 hybrid (20 degrees) and a 5 wood (18 degrees). I find the hybrid and 5 wood overall distances are pretty similar but the 5 wood has a higher height and more carry distance where the hybrid tends to roll out more. Plus the hybrid is usually better in the rough. I do not carry a 3 wood.

I’m in my early 50’s now.  So I live hybrids.  I have 3 thru 6 Taylormade GAPR hi and absolutely love them.  They help me get the ball up quickly and with better control and stopping power 

I’ve played both - not at the same time and have achieved similar results.  Lately it’s been all 3h (G400-19 deg).  I still game the 5w (TM.R50) in the Superball bag (super trimmed set - Driver, 5w, 4h, 6-8-PW-SW, P).   Behind the ball - I tend to prefer the compactness of the hybrids (they remind me of the persimmons I still game on occasion).  As I’ve read the thread - looks like it’s more about personal preference and maybe which course you're playing….nice to have options.

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

46 minutes ago, SteddyGolf said:

I am not a fan of either. I prefer a 4 iron which I can control much better.  Buuuuuut if I had to pick one over the other I would say the Hybrid.  I would most likely not use it but maybe twice in the round.  I hit my 3 woods pretty well so a 5 wood is a bit redundant for my gaps.  

If you can hit a 4 iron then you're right no need but my 4 iron stays in the basement 😂 

Smile and someone smiles back.

Was just contemplating this yesterday. I have not been hitting my 4 iron well this year and have a gap in my yardages. My Cobra LTDx 3w and Callaway UW 19 are working well and the gaps up through 5 iron are solid.
I will be trying my 7w today on the range and will have it in the bag for this week’s play for a trial. I think the 7w will be less versatile than the 4i (I can’t hit punch shots with the 7w) but will give me the distance option I am missing with better landing angles. 

:cobra-small: LTDx 9 degree driver HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60 gr 6.0

:cobra-small: LTDx 3 wood HZRDUS Smoke IM10 Green 60 gr 6.0

:callaway-small:Callaway Apex UW 19 degree HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 70 5.5

:1332069271_TommyArmour: 845 Max 7 wood, Tensei CK Blue 75 gr S 

:Takomo:Takomo 101T 5 to PW KBS Tour R

:vokey-small:SM10 50.8F KBS Tour R,  SM9 54.12D DG S200,  SM9 58.12D DG S200

:nevercompromise-small: Voodoo

:maxfli:Maxfli Tour X

As an older golfer I carry three hybrids - 17, 20 and 23 degree. I used to play with a 3 wood, 7 wood and a hybrid for when I was in the rough (which is often). I just could not hit the fairway woods consistently so went with all hybrids.  I have more confidence with the hybrids even though I am giving up yardage but I my age I don't hit it that far anyway.  

PXG Gen6 0311 driver 9 degree with Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g stiff shaft

Tour Edge Exotics C722 2 hybrid (17 degree)

Tour Edge Exotics CBX 119 3 hybrid (20 degree)

Callaway Mavrik 5 hybrid (23 degree)

PXG 0311XP Gen3 irons 6-PW

Wedges: Edel 48 degree;  Cleveland RTX Fullface 52 degree; Cleveland Smartsole 58 degree

Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 putter

1 hour ago, Josh Parker said:

I am loving my 16.5*.  I don't see it coming out of the bag anytime soon. 

What brand are you playing @Josh Parker?

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

During COVID, I switched to the utility wood - the Callaway Apex UW - and found it was the perfect solution for me.  Very adaptable to a lot of situations and extremely forgiving and easy to hit.  My hybrid and Strong 4 wood went in the closet and haven't found their way out since.

WITB

Driver:    :titelist-small: Titleist TSi3 w/ HZRDUS RDX Black6.0, A1 setting

Fairway:  :titelist-small:  Titleist TSi3 15* with HZRDUS RDX Black 6.0, 1/2 short, A4 setting

Fairway:  :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW, 19* with HZRDUS RDX Black

Irons:.   :taylormade-small: Taylor Made P790 4-9 with KBS Tour Flt 120 Stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM9, 50, 56 with KBS Tour stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM7, 60* with Tour Flt stiff shaft

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Odyssey Ten mallet

Ball:.  :titelist-small:  Titleist Left Dash Pro V1x

Grips:. Golf Pride MCC+4, 3 wraps

I carry a 22* Ping G410 4 hybrid and a Ping G410 17.5* 5 Wood. I can hit the 5 wood much better than the 4 hybrid but hold out hope that the hybrid will develop. 

Ping G-Series Driver - 9.5* 

Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood -17*

Ping G25 Hybrid - 20*

Callaway Steelhead XR Irons - 5-PW steel shaft

Vokey SM6 56.08 wedge

Odyssey White Ice 1 

Golf Pride Midsize MCC4+ grips

Ball - Callaway SuperSoft Matte  Red

(all clubs acquired second hand as cheap as possible)

45 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Titleist TSR2.  

Ooh I just demoed that TSR2 - 16.5 degree and you are right, it is a great club.  So much easier to hit than the traditional 15 degree 3 wood.  

Personally I can not hit a hybrid. Doesnt matter what loft they all go 4 feet in the air and around 100 yards. My 5 wood is a 180 yard club for me. I  also carry a 7 wood and 9 wood. 3 wood is not in the bag either.

WITB: Taylormade M1 2017 version, M6 woods 5, 7, 9, M6 irons 6 thru gap wedge, Bombtech wedges 52, 56 and 60 degrees, Putter is Oddessy 2 ball Oworks. Kirkland balls.

11 hours ago, Javs said:

Sounds like you experimented and found a couple winners! Love when a plan comes together!! Also, by your handicap you are a heck of a player!

Thanks @Javs! The plan seems to be coming together, it's been interesting to test. Yea, and I play pretty well.  If I can get this putting thing down now, LOL.  Got consumed with getting the irons & woods right. Now it's time to focus on putting.  Going to be using TheStack putting system next. 

25 minutes ago, tdroma98 said:

Ooh I just demoed that TSR2 - 16.5 degree and you are right, it is a great club.  So much easier to hit than the traditional 15 degree 3 wood.  

Yes it is.  I find that it is super easy to work the ball and get the flight I want out of it.  We have several holes that driver is too much and I use my 16.5* for about 4 or 5 tee shots and its been great!  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

3 hybrid for me. I'm in the rough all too frequently, and the hybrid just works better for those kinds of long shots. I also like that it launches a little lower.

Callaway Epic Flash Driver (9 degree), Callaway Mavrik 3W, Titlelist 910H 3h, Taylormade Speed Blade irons (4i-PW), Kirkland v1 wedges (52-56-60), Odyssey Versa 7 putter. All clubs R-flex

I've always struggled with my fairway woods and hybrids. Now that I'm getting shorter with age, I put in a concerted effort to get comfortable with these clubs. In the office season, I spent a majority of my range time working on them. I purchased a MacGregor 5 wood towards the end of last year along with Tour Edge 4 and 5 hybrids. I am very happy with both additions to my bag.

My three hybrid and five wood we’re travelling the same distance, I’ve kept the three hybrid in the bag as it seems a little more utilitarian, and the shorter shaft allows me to hit nasty hooks with it sometimes. 

Mizuno Hot Metal JPX-923 irons

Cleavland Launcher Xl Lite

Exotics C723 3W

Wilson Dynapower 3H

Yes! Hanna putter (yes! Im that old 🤣)