Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

The PerfectStroke TPE- REVIEW

Flv02

The PerfectStroke TPE

An Official MyGolfSpy Review

1-1.jpg

Introduction

Drive for show, putt for dough. We have all heard the saying hundreds of times throughout our golfing lives. I have never been a bad putter, but I have never been as good as I wanted to be. That's why I was extremely excited when I heard I was going to be testing the PerfectStroke TPE. I thought if anything could make me better, a tour putting aid would be it.

The PerfectStroke TPE

2-1.jpg

The PerfectStroke TPE is a putting aid that has been successful in Australia, but has remained unknown in America. TPE stands for Tour Player Edition. This model has everything, and is multi-functional. The Perfectstroke is designed to help improve aim, stroke mechanics, distance control and green reading.

As you can see in the picture, there is a clear alignment strip which indicates the target line, and is adjustable so that you can align it with the sweet spot of your putter in your own stance. There is also a carbon fiber plane rail which is suspended above the ground and below the alignment aid. Your putter shaft lightly touches it during the stroke. The rail is designed to give you what they consider an ideal putting stroke. This plane rail can also be removed. Other features of the system can be utilized, such as the reflective base for referencing shoulder alignment, creating 26 different ways to use this product. You can also turn it into your very own stimp meter!

Set Up/Ease of Use

3-1.jpg

There is a reason I took the picture above. I am not the kind of guy to take visually unappealing pictures like that. I had to because I wanted to show everyone all of the parts that come with the PerfectStroke. There are 9 pieces in total, 7 pieces needed for what I consider normal use, and 10 tiny screws that are needed for installation.

What does all of that equal? An annoying set up process. Just putting the PerfectStroke together takes on average 6 to 7 minutes (I timed myself several times). After that you still have to line everything up, which is not the easiest process in the world. It may sound easy, but it is not. All of this reminded me of the post R.P. created several weeks ago about how he saw a guy setting up his Ping putting app on the practice green. R.P. said how he putted many balls before the guy even started. I felt like that guy! I just wanted to start practicing, but I was stuck setting this up while other players were putting. Though, once everything is set up, it is very easy to use. You just putt while keeping your shaft lightly on the carbon fiber pole. But, it is the set-up that definitely hurts the product.

Score: 10/20

Effectiveness

4-1.jpg

On the PerfectStroke website, it said that this product was intended to help players improve their aim, stroke mechanics, distance control, and green reading. Well, after using it, I felt that I achieved three out of four of those. Just using it the way pictured above, I saw myself reading greens better, having a better tempo, and having amazing distance control, which was my biggest improvement with this product.

What I liked the most about it involved reading breaks on the green. When practicing with the PerfectStroke, you use what they call a “phantom cup”. It is a black disc that you put next to the hole where the break starts. You aim at the phantom cup instead of the actual hole, making it seem like a straight putt every single time. I would actually picture the phantom hole during my rounds.

Another great aspect of the PerfectStroke is the way the carbon fiber rod feels against the shaft of your putter. It's a feeling you can almost recreate on the course. What I did find was that my aim was off a lot of the time. It did not matter on the long putts, because if I had the distance right I would still roll the ball into the three-foot circle I always picture around the hole. It was the putts between three and ten feet that I was struggling with, something I have never struggled with before. I was pulling and pushing! It had to be the most frustrating aspect of the whole process. It was more frustrating than the set-up! Maybe it's because I have never putted with an arc. I have always been a straight putter, and have been very successful with it. Maybe all of you with arc putting strokes will have more success with it, but I am not guaranteeing anything.

To Purchase the PerfectStroke TPE, visit their website:

http://www.perfectst...utting%20System

Score: 33/40

Longevity

As far as longevity goes, it is durable and it works well, but it is a burden to bring everywhere. I feel like the PureStroke TPE is something you use at the beginning of the season to tune up. You start with the normal set-up, then take the carbon fiber pole off, then put the PerfectStroke behind the hole and attaching it to the string-line (string-line serves same purpose as the clear aiming piece), and then take the PerfectStroke away altogether. I feel like it would definitely bring you back to mid-season form quicker.

Other than that, I feel like it is something you keep in your office or bedroom already put together, and putt when you have time off. It is definitely too much of a burden to take apart and put together for the normal amateur golfer like us on the forum.

Score: 20/30

Value

5-1.jpg

This is where I was most shocked about the PerfectStroke TPE. The PerfectStroke TPE is valued at a staggering $235.39 on its website. That means it is almost two and a half times more than the average training aid! Look, it has a ton of features and if you have the money, and you have an arc of a putting stroke, then go for it. But for me, that it is way out of my price range.

I think the best fit for this product is for a PGA pro/ golf teacher, looking for a training aid that they can invest in to use with all of their students. It is adjustable and the features allow it to be used with the highest handicappers and the low scratch golfers.

Score: 12/20

Total Score: 75/100

Final Thoughts:

Honestly, I think this score is a little low, but I think that value has much to do with that. If the price dropped, it could have easily increased the score in to the 80s. This is a perfect fit for teachers of the game or for people where money is not an issue. If you fit into one of those categories and you purchase this, I do not think you will be disappointed.

To Purchase the PerfectStroke TPE, visit their website:

http://www.perfectst...utting%20System

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

Looks like a great product, but I can't picture myself ever wanting to put this thing together next to the green just to practice for an hour or so, much less spend 250 for it. I think you hit the nail on the head in saying that the target market should be teachers/coaches.

WITB

Driver: Calloway Diablo Octane Tour, UST VTS Silver

Hybrids: 16* Taylormade RBZ Tour 16*, 21* TEE XCG-3

Irons: Adams CB1 4-PW, KBS C Taper Lite S

Wedges: Nike VR Pro Forged 52*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG3

Grips: Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Ball: Whatever I find, prefer Bridgestone

Archived