Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

cheap rangefinders worth it

I wrote an Amazon Finds on one of these a little while back. 

Here is my take - They do work, they are fine, but truly cheaply made. That doesn't mean they are bad, but I would expect to have to replace it each season. Whether that be battery life or just it breaking down. The plastics they use don't feel great, especially when compared to higher end models. As for accuracy, they are fine. Again not bad, because they are cheap, but they don't pick up the flags as quickly or as accurately as others and using it in combination with a watch or gps system is likely best. I wouldn't use it as my sole be all end all number, especially with slope. 

Verdict - I would be checking out and spending a bit more on something like the Garmin Z30, Vortex Blade, Precision Pro or some other options. While they cost more the functionality is better, the clarity is night and day and you can trust them to last a lot longer. 

That said, if it is this or nothing, then why not? At least it gets something in your hands to get better yardages. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

This is something that is worth spending a little bit more to clarity and ease of use.. I tried the cheaper ones and well they are cheaper and honestly harder to shoot with.

I know I recently ran across a deal for a "factory renewed" Blue Tees S3 Max on Maple Hill golf. Believe those are $360 new and think it was selling for $120 at the time

DRIVER  CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Ai SMOKE MAX D w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65-R 10.5*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.c09940dc65e88df056ed8bc6fac5d992.png STEALTH 2 Plus 15* w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 65-R 42" 15*

HYBRID CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Big Bertha 19 w/ UST Recoil DART 75-S 20*

IRONS MALTBY.jpg.db763764d25fcfd7c75f92dc47028a09.jpg TS3 Forged 4i-PW w/ True Temper Score LT 100-R

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115-W 48*/52*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg HB SOFT 8 w/ Center Shaft 3*

Check out my Tests...

I've been using a temu brand one for over a year. It's rechargeable,  has pinlock, and a magnetic sleeve. I have not had to recharge it for the entire time I've used it (over 50 rounds)

That being said, I also have a 4 year old Bushnell. 

Some differences:

The bushnell has a rubberized shell on the sides, and magnet built in. It's optic lcd is only a bit brighter. It also has a red circle when locked on target. The battery is a replacement type.

The temu one is lighter, the optics are clear.

I have not had the unfortunate drop test with it yet,  but the lens probably wouldn't fare too well if it flew off the cart is my guess.

Are there better ones?  Yup. 

Both of these are matched in accuracy within a half yard too

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

My 14 year old got one of the $40 dollar ones three years ago for his birthday. While it doesn't have the bells and whistles of some of the expensive ones it works great and has held up just fine. He's a teenager so that thing has been dropped, kicked, left in his bag to get beat around and is still kicking.  

Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 3-PW, Steel, Stiff flex

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS, stiff flex, usually play 9.5

Fairway: Cobra Aerojet Max, 3W, stiff flex

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM8  52,56,58

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Mallet

Right Handed

Fishers, Indiana

HDCP: 18

I have the gogogo rangefinder off of Amazon. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PV6NJFH) It was on sale for $59 when I got it.

It is usually about 3 yards off of the more expensive rangefinders of the people I get paired with. That doesn't really seem like it would make a difference if you are always basing your yardages off of the same device. It has taken falls well and still works great. Anything over 220 is very hard to shoot, but if you are patient it will lock on.

That being said, I have never once thought to myself, "Man, I really need to upgrade my rangefinder."

Cobra Aerojet MAX 9* 

Cobra Air X 3 Wood

Cobra BioCell 7 Wood

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW

Cleveland CG 56*

Odyssey White Hot Rossie

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I got the Cigman CT-800y for $60. It might be slightly slower in locking onto the flag but it does account for slope and has been accurate within a yard of other measurements. It is sturdy. Definitely not cheap. Very long lasting and rechargeable battery. It has a string magnet strap for attaching to the cart.  There aren’t any features I feel I am missing.

Like @WilliamYates said I have not felt I should have spend 5-6x more.  

Edited by Wolfstrum

Switch hitter, RH Driver, LH Irons

Callaway Mavrik Driver (RH)

Sub 70 3i Driving/Utility iron (LH)

Maltby STi2 4i-PW, GW (LH)

Mizuno MP R Series 52 degree 

Wilson Jim Ferrier Signature SW (LH)

Mizuno TP Mills blade putter (LH)

I picked up a cheap one from Amazon during a lighting deal. $53.99.  I have tested it against big brands and GPS and it is always very close or dead on. Battery life has been excellent. I've used it for two years now and don't have any regrets.  The only feature I really would want is a magnet.  Is it a Bushnell, no.  Is the Bushnell worth 7x the cost?  Probably not.   The one I have isn't available any longer, but it was just a Chinese rangefinder that had a white label brand on it. 

Bought a Wosports from Amazon on sale for about $60 a few years ago and haven't looked back. While my buddies have lost and shelled out multiple $300 for new range finders mine is still going strong. Had to replace the battery once over 3 years, range finder gives you battery meter warning. When I bought it I constantly checked against distance markers, my Garmin GPS, and my buddies expensive range finders, always within a yard and usually 1/2 yard of what they are showing. It's obviously cheaper, and I haven't dropped it on a hard surface, but when this one is lost or broken I'm definitely buying another.

I have a cheap (under $90) rangefinder that I got two years ago. it has a vibration when it locks on the flag, gives slope, and overall distance and has very good battery life. It does the job that I need it to do and it has held up to being dropped and left in a hot car for days. I found that I didn't need to spend a crazy amount on such a utilitarian piece of equipment.

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

Costco currently has the CaddyTek Golf Laser Rangefinder, CaddyView V3 +Slope for $119.99 online (it's $159.99 on Amazon).  Out of about 2800 total ratings, it has over 2200 five star ratings, and if you don't like it you can return it.  I have no affiliation with Costco - except I'm making regular payments to the local warehouse. Maybe I'll own it some day...

My favorite thing about golf is that you score on every play.

PXG 0811X Gen 4 Driver with Maltby UL shaft

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 Fairway 4 Wood

Wishon EQ1-NX  Hybrids

Takomo 101 Irons and Wedges

L.A.B. MEZZ.1 Putter (2022 tester)

MaxFli Tour X  ball

I had found an old Bushnell in FL at a thrift store for $10 that works great, as long as there are reflectors. Then I saw one for $35 on Amazon. No slope or vibration, but it hits the flag and inside a yard compared to a buddies $300 model. Only thing early was the spring had to be stretched a bit for good contact, after that, works great. I can figure up or down on elevation  I also have a Garmin GPS that comes along as well.

Edited by Cmra1

Callaway Mavrick Driver, Callaway Rouge Max 3,5 wood, Cobra 3-4 hybrid, Nike Vrs Forged irons 5-A, Cleveland Zipcore 56,60, Odyssey Marksman

12 hours ago, CRoyse said:

I picked up a cheap one from Amazon during a lighting deal. $53.99.  I have tested it against big brands and GPS and it is always very close or dead on. Battery life has been excellent. I've used it for two years now and don't have any regrets.  The only feature I really would want is a magnet.  Is it a Bushnell, no.  Is the Bushnell worth 7x the cost?  Probably not.   The one I have isn't available any longer, but it was just a Chinese rangefinder that had a white label brand on it. 

A magnetic sleeve on temu is about six bucks

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I would look at Precision Pro as well.  Most of the time they have their cheapest slope models for $175 or less especially on sale days like Prime sales. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

• 1 month later...

I just got a GOGOGO pro from amazon, i think it was $70, seems to work pretty well, I'm going to be putting it through its paces this week and will let you know how it is.

default_callaway-small.jpg.2b6d441184b90f810b4031f50305c1cf.jpgDriver: Callaway Edge 10.5

default_callaway-small.jpg.2b6d441184b90f810b4031f50305c1cf.jpgFW: Callaway Edge 3W

default_callaway-small.jpg.2b6d441184b90f810b4031f50305c1cf.jpgHybrids: Callaway Apex 2H, AdamsGolf TightLies 4H, Callaway Edge 5H

default_callaway-small.jpg.2b6d441184b90f810b4031f50305c1cf.jpgIrons: Callaway Edge  5-PW 

default_callaway-small.jpg.2b6d441184b90f810b4031f50305c1cf.jpgWedges: Callaway Mack Daddy CB 52, 56, 60

default_odyssey-small.jpg.804c62d15d578bb5a4e994d2099cd3ef.jpgPutter: Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird

Ball: Kirkland Signature Performance+(Needed cheap balls to start again because I lose them so often)

Just enjoy life, it’s short

• 2 weeks later...

love my amazon rangefinder Its a red tiger I think that who makes it had great reviews for under hundred bux doesn't have a lock on feature ti pin which I wish it had would recommend buying one that vibrates and locks onto to pin for better reading of the distance n faster

chris

I had a gogogo sports rangefinder from Amazon that I even bought used. It gave me really solid numbers. The only downside was the optics stunk. It was a little hard to see through but the numbers seemed to track with range finders that were almost 10x as much 

Rasmanian Devil

Paradym Driver, 3W HL, 2 hybrid

Titleist t300 irons

Kirkland wedges 

Odyssey Tri-Hot double wide putter