Should your handicap dictate your tee box selection?

On 8/13/2024 at 3:15 PM, chisag said:

... Just read this today from one of the longest hitters in his prime:

Fred Couples staged a comeback at this week’s Boeing Classic; this was his first event since the Masters in April. It went well — Couples finished T18.

“I’m tickled pink to be playing,” he told the Seattle Times. He also showed off his bag, which features a whole bunch of headcovers.

I have six woods,” Couples said. “Driver, 3-wood, 5-wood, 4-rescue, 5-rescue, 6-rescue. And I’m loving life. It’s going to get me through these three days.”

Oh trust me the 9 wood stays handy and I picked up a little Cobra 29* hybrid with a NVS Senior hybrid shaft. I picked up that little Hybrid cheap like a year ago. Oh yes I know my time will come sooner or later. A 5 iron though will not ever leave the bag I do too many bump and runs with it. And to be completely honest My Mac Hogans have #2 Apex shafts which are a Senior shaft plus I have them soft tipped with lead tape low on the muscle. Yep they have some bottom end kick that is one of the reasons I can still hit them.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex- - 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex steel shafts--- SW -- Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore --- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Fluted Bulls Eye shaft--- Bag TM Flex Lite Stand---- Yeah I know only 11 clubs 

G

1 hour ago, Stuka44 said:

I just read through this thread.  Was just going to type something virtually identical.   Contrary to most times 😀, I agree with @DaveP043 . 

Thanks for agreeing (finally!).  I didn't really intend my post to be about slow play in general, I agree with you that slow players are slow from just about any tee they choose.  Everyone hates slow play, and nobody admits to being a slow player, but that's another story.  I was really giving advice to @Rob Person, who seems a pretty conscientious guy, that he should be aware that increased distance CAN cause some people to play slower.  If that's the case, that player should consider not playing those longer tees when there are other folks behind him.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Thanks for agreeing (finally!).  I didn't really intend my post to be about slow play in general, I agree with you that slow players are slow from just about any tee they choose.  Everyone hates slow play, and nobody admits to being a slow player, but that's another story.  I was really giving advice to @Rob Person, who seems a pretty conscientious guy, that he should be aware that increased distance CAN cause some people to play slower.  If that's the case, that player should consider not playing those longer tees when there are other folks behind him.  

Distance off the tee counts most.  A lousy short game / putting can drive hdcp up a lot, but isn't a tee box issue.

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Thanks for that!  I try to be as well.paced as possible.  

May try the back tees someday,  but never off the first tee!  My driver definitely will not cooperate for sure!  Ha! 😆 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 hour ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

Distance off the tee counts most.  A lousy short game / putting can drive hdcp up a lot, but isn't a tee box issue.

Does that change the advice I gave?  If a player moves back, and finds that he's playing slower, he should consider moving back up to his normal tees, at least when there are people waiting on him.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Since I am not submitting scores, I mix n match sometimes.  If it saves time on a shorter par 4, I'll play from blue if the group is.  Play from a red on a long hole at a tough course.  Until I read it here a few weeks earlier, I din't know the USGA recommendation that the club you need on 2nd shot on typical par 4 determines where you should tee.  If you need 5 iron or more all the time, you should tee shorter.  7 iron is the USGA base line for approach shot on a par 4.

If courses would post this USGA guide, it will benefit all of us. 

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

On 8/14/2024 at 10:51 AM, DaveP043 said:

What do you do for someone who varies his tees, perhaps forward with one group of friends, and back one set with a different group?

I talked to the course today. My goodness, I never thought they could get that confused on something they are supposed to be in charge of. “Well we don’t have tournaments that often. We have this USGA sheet hanging on the wall. You can look at this chart for your handicap to see how many strokes you give.” So basically no help. 

I looked at the USGA sheet and then I was even more confused. So my handicap from my senior tees says I have to give six strokes to someone on the back tees with the same handicap. How does that make any sense. I’m going to dig into this further. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Who know what happens sometimes. Double triple is a new one. But I rather that then see that on my score card🤣

Edited by Tom the Golf Nut
Double triple post.

28 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I talked to the course today. My goodness, I never thought they could get that confused on something they are supposed to be in charge of. “Well we don’t have tournaments that often. We have this USGA sheet hanging on the wall. You can look at this chart for your handicap to see how many strokes you give.” So basically no help. 

I looked at the USGA sheet and then I was even more confused. So my handicap from my senior tees says I have to give six strokes to someone on the back tees with the same handicap. How does that make any sense. I’m going to dig into this further. 

Nice double-triple post. 😆 

So why would someone with the same handicap,  who chooses to play longer yardages,  be given strokes?  That is confusing.   Was it just for your specific handicap or does it float that across all handicap ranges?

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

14 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

So why would someone with the same handicap,  who chooses to play longer yardages,  be given strokes?  That is confusing.   Was it just for your specific handicap or does it float that across all handicap ranges?

That  is how  handicap indexes resolve to course handicaps.  The slope/rating of the back tees is harder  than the forward tees so if both payers have the same index then the player on the harder tees will generally get strokes.    Play from the same tees and there are no strokes.   You can try it using the USGA handicap calculator...just enter the information from your usual couse:

https://www.usga.org/course-handicap-calculator.html

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 8/10/2024 at 9:57 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Moving up doesn't necessarily make things easier or mean you will lower you handicap.

Case and point, I played a front tee challenge with my SM10 wedge test and shot even par on the front 9 and my handicap still went up, I was a +1 from those tees. 

That being said, I base my decision on total yardage.  I want to have chances to score so any course that is 6500-6700 is perfect and I love getting to challenge my scoring clubs by playing below that as well.  More birdies=more fun right? 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

Nice double-triple post. 😆 

It was the same across all. Makes no sense to me. I’ll be there again tomorrow maybe another Pro will be around. 

If I played my handicap, I should be playing the whites. However at my age of 71, I can only drive the ball consistantly around 210, and now hitting 6 or 7 irons into greens from 150. Depending upon who I play with and which course I am playing at, I will switch from whites and senior tees.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons     Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

All shafts are Ping's CB Alta, Regular in Woods and Hybrids, Stiff in the irons ( I just like these shafts and never saw a reason to look for 

others)

Agree with most of the comments, I’m 70 can carry 265 majority of the time, some days we feel like senior tees, some days we play the regular men’s tee, I/we just don’t play the tips, unless a tournament is forcing me to play from certain tees either age or hdcp, we play from where we want

Robert Rosas

20 minutes ago, Rosas4653 said:

Agree with most of the comments, I’m 70 can carry 265 majority of the time, some days we feel like senior tees, some days we play the regular men’s tee, I/we just don’t play the tips, unless a tournament is forcing me to play from certain tees either age or hdcp, we play from where we want

... I want some of your vitamins. 🤪 Roughly 8% of all amateur golfers can hit their drivers a TOTAL distance of 260yds. At age 70 if you can CARRY your drives 265 you are in elite company of less than 1% of all Am's regardless of age. At 71 I am usually longer than most I play with and I carry my driver around 235. If I could carry my driver 265 I would be playing the tips at 7000 because we get a good 30-40 yds of roll in the desert and a few holes with downslopes we can get 75yds of roll. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

I LOVE it when the tour/equipment manufacturers put out stuff like this. This week at Castle Pines, Co. -- Ping has a cheat sheet for the elevation adjustments for their players. PLEASE NOTE THE YELLOW CIRCLED "BASELINE" -- that is at zero feet of elevation and basically what I assume they are calculating as "Tour Average" at sea level:

image.png.a42ad69ab4210acbaee75ba04ed48fff.png

Alrighty - let's use some of the metrics that have been thrown out in this thread:

On 8/19/2024 at 6:49 PM, Hjcarroll said:

No it should not.  It should be your driver's carry distance. 

Okay, so the driver distance above is 304 yds. A quick google says the math is Driver distance * 28 so for these guys that is --> 304 * 28 = 8,512 yds! Anyone want to guess how many 8,500 yd courses there are on tour/majors?

Or you can use the 5 iron * 36 --> in the tour example above that would be 222 * 36 = 7,992 yds. That is actually fairly close to Castle Pines in Colorado but, of course, that is playing at 6500 ft in altitude so to do that calc you would have to use the chart above. The Castle Pines course should be 222 + 21 (85 degree adjustment at altitude) = 243 * 36 = 8,748 yards in order to challenge these players...which would be ludicrous. Again, all this is to show THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD DON'T GET PUT TO THE SAME DISTANCE TEST MOST AMATEURS SUBJECT THEMSELVES TO!

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* / Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
HackMotion Official Review -- 

Yes, but from a different perspective. If a person is a mid to high handicapper, they should 1000% be playing from tees that are a little more forward. Distance can certainly impact a low handicapper from moving back, especially once they’re at a certain age, but it can’t be the sole influence. 

High handicappers can still crush the ball, but that doesn’t mean they should be playing tees that are further back. Playing tees that are more forward can help them learn course management, allows them to have more opportunities with scoring clubs, and can help them play faster. 

Taylormade Stealth 9 Degree Fujikura Ventus Red 5-S

Titleist TS2 15 Degree Project X Hzrdus Smoke 70g

Titleist TSr1 18 Degree Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75g

Mizuno MP-32 True Temper S400

Titleist Vokey SM8 56, 60 Degree

Ping Anser 2 2024 Release

My handicap is the result of my short game. I drive the ball 250 metres on average. My putting lets me down the most. Tee box selection doesn't make any difference to my scores and I'm certainly not holding up play because of tee box selection. My home club also dictates the tee box to be played in competition, so it's out of my hands. If a high handicapper has difficulty off the tee, I can see merit in playing from the front tees. 

image.png.276262bc3d116d39ed9abacb65b33ab4.pngTitleist TSR2 Driver

image.png.c8c7dea457f847b0e111a04a8454dd17.pngTitleist TSR2 4 wood

image.png.c9c6d48c319d36d9c7dcbd7740177425.pngTitleist TSR2 3 Hybrid

image.png.0e32fcfb63ff2361ba849598f5416de1.pngTitleist T100s irons 4 - gap wedge

image.png.89a8e668bf33d73225baa5e36e1c3175.png Vokey SM9 wedges 54 and 58 degrees

image.png.52a2f8242da25bd4060c1017e0d5a4f7.png Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 putter

I'm going to say that whilst I don't believe your handicap should force you to play off specific tees, I do believe it should limit what tees you can play off. As an example, having a 24 handicap play off the tips is just going slow down the field unnecessarily. 

I'm not sure if the US is the same as our course but we have black, blue, whites, red so I'll frame it around that.

0-9 Any tee

10-24 Any tee except tips/blacks

24+ Whites or Reds unless comps dictate otherwise. 

GT2 10° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 60  
GT2 16.5° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 70
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black 6.0 4G 
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips
Garmin Z30

2 hours ago, MissionMan said:

I'm going to say that whilst I don't believe your handicap should force you to play off specific tees, I do believe it should limit what tees you can play off. As an example, having a 24 handicap play off the tips is just going slow down the field unnecessarily. 

I'm not sure if the US is the same as our course but we have black, blue, whites, red so I'll frame it around that.

0-9 Any tee

10-24 Any tee except tips/blacks

24+ Whites or Reds unless comps dictate otherwise. 

Most here have a guide at the first tee

Some use handicap,  some use driver distance.   Definitely not consistent throughout though.

Which makes me wonder if any of these courses are suggesting the tee box play based off of their course ratings???

WITB-

2 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Some use handicap,  some use driver distance.   Definitely not consistent throughout though.

Which makes me wonder if any of these courses are suggesting the tee box play based off of their course ratings???

On our course, the ratings change for each tee. I’m an 9 off the tips and a 5 off the reds. I would say tee box based on course rating makes sense. I’ve played the tips in a comp where the distances are utterly insane. 490 yard par 4’s with ridiculously narrow fairways. 

GT2 10° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 60  
GT2 16.5° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 70
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black 6.0 4G 
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips
Garmin Z30

I've been on a course where they ask how far you hit it and what your handicap is. From there, they tell you which tees to play from. 

I've also seen it "suggested" on course scorecards.  

As much as I think we should be allowed to choose our own adventure, I've seen what happens when new golfers decide to play from the back tee  It's 6 hour rounds and tons of re-teeing and trying to find balls in the rough. Even in scramble formats, it takes forever.

I think a course needs to be proactive and allow the ranger to make a judgment call. If they see a golfer that will be overmatched, make them play up a tee. Otherwise, let them rip.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybrid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :callaway-small:  Tour X 2024
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours or Sketchers Max Fairway Go 4

... I'm gonna post an exceptional exception from yesterday. I played behind two ASU students and one was a little erratic and the other a beginner. To my surprise they were one of the faster twosomes I have ever followed. The erratic player could hit an excellent shot followed by a poor shot and the beginner only hit horrible shots. The beginner never took a practice swing and I saw him take three swings after dropping his drive next to his partners drive in the fairway after hitting one OB off the tee. It was pretty amazing how fast he moved. A couple times I dropped an extra ball to work on a specific shot and by the next tee they were already gone. We finished in just under 3 hours. 

... Maybe 🧜‍♀️ 🦄  are real too? 

15 hours ago, Rob Person said:

While I am very comfortable playing 18-hole courses from whatever tees result in a total playing distance of 6,200-6,450 yards, I will gladly move up to shorter tees when playing with golfers who are uncomfortable or who just don’t have the distance to play at those lengths.

Two of my close friends who got me playing golf back in the 1980s no longer hit the ball as far as I do (both could hit it much further than I did a couple of decades ago). When we play together, I automatically move up to the gold tees, as much as one of these guys constantly protests. Ironically, he is the shortest hitter among the three of us, but his ego takes over and he often insists that “real men don’t play from the gold tees”.  If we play from the white tees, by about the third hole this guy is regularly grumbling and cursing about not being able to reach par 4s and 5s in regulation, and he is also unable to reach some par 3s from the white tees.  It has gotten to the point where most of his longtime golfing buddies just no longer want to play golf with this guy.  The other guy was stubborn like that until about two years ago, but he has finally come around and plays the tees that fit his limitations.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

51 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Maybe 🧜‍♀️ 🦄  are real too? 

According to my three year old,  both of these are very real....  

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

I went down and played Torrey Pines. I took a cart because I always do with a new course to me. Did alot anyways. I couldn't believe these three guys. Early morning group. I could barely keep up.

To be candid.... I would rather walk a field with a good Bird Dog, than to walk a golf course with people. Only problem is, I can't walk.

I wouldn’t call it perfect but it’s a good starting point. And it depends on the course. I suppose a good gauge is what do you do off the tee. Golf is hard enough. Don’t make it harder unnecessarily. But in most cases ego is the biggest cause for folks playing the “wrong” tees.

image.png.ec65754993cb81a3d0a7d15c70ab8fd1.png  Anyday Maverick Black Ops 7-way

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Fujikura Motore X F3

:PXG:0211 Hybrid 3 19° w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 70

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - AW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM10 50°/12° F w/KBS Tour Lite, SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

image.png.0f5b009ff3d83fdae5e2e361f9676226.png DF3 w/BGT Stability ONE Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:titleist-small: Pro V1 

:Clicgear: 3.5+

Tests No Longer in the Bag

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

8 minutes ago, MattWillGolf said:

I wouldn’t call it perfect but it’s a good starting point. And it depends on the course. I suppose a good gauge is what do you do off the tee. Golf is hard enough. Don’t make it harder unnecessarily. But in most cases ego is the biggest cause for folks playing the “wrong” tees.

... Good stuff there. Taking it a step farther, if you are a high index player but hit the ball well off the tee and suffer with your short game or erratic iron play, you can always move back a tee box on the 2nd hole. Or even better, move up a tee. But as you said, it's as good a starting point as any. 

... I have posted many times I usually play a combo tee at both my winter and summer courses because it provides a nice challenge on some holes and a few easy holes with most right in the middle. The last thing I want is a wedge into every green or a hybrid/fairway wood into several par 4's. Some wedges, mid irons a long iron or two and one hybrid or fairway wood provides a nice variety. 

...  At 71 I am around 250-260 off the tee, sometimes a little shorter and sometimes a little longer. What I find very interesting is I get comments that I should move back a tee box 🤪  especially if players I am paired up with are shorter than me off the tee. Ego evidently prevents them from joining me on the more forward tees or even a combo tee. Occasionally I do get paired up with some that join me after struggling for a few holes but they are the exception. 

40 minutes ago, MattWillGolf said:

Absolutely!!!  Knowing your clubs distances is key!!

WITB-