Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

What’s your go to chipping club?

Primarily 48° gap wedge or 58° lob wedge.

Gap wedge for true bump and run, and lob wedge for any shot that requires carry over obstacles (rough, bunker, etc.).

Still trying to figure out how to get enough spin to really make the ball check.  <Sigh>

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

Depends on the shot needed and the lie, but I typically use my 60, 56 or AW for chipping.

:cobra-small: Aerojet LS 9° / Brava BGT SE F/4
:taylormade-small: Stealth FW 5 / TPT 16 MK/MT/SW
:taylormade-small: M3 3/19° Rescue / Fujikura Ventus Red 7-S
:ping-small: iCrossover 4 / :accra: Fx200H M4
:srixon-small: Srixon ZX7 (5-AW) - :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 120
:mizuno-small:  T20 56° & 60°/ :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 125 Wedge
Royal GRIP V Sand Wrap
L.A.B. MEZZ.1 / L.A.B. :accra:
:maxfli: Tour X

I think @cnosil nailed it: it varies. 

For me, my club selection depends on the type of lie, how much green I have to work with, how flat the green is and if I need to fly it more to the pin to help negate a green undulation.  I typically use anything from my pitching wedge (41 degrees) to my sand wedge (55 degrees). 

I do carry a 60 degree lob wedge, but I typically don't use it much for chipping or around the green.   I may have to practice it more and get it more into the chipping repertoire.   

For giggles, I pulled all my Shot Scope data from 2024 so far and here's my short game club usage:

image.png.020ff8e2ca65101eb3bfaa3c068da5aa.png

You can see the variety of clubs I use.  Given my home course greens are relatively flat (except for a few situations), my gap (50 degree) and sand wedge (55 degree) get most of the use.  But it's still situational!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

53* Edison 1.0 w/kbs shaft

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER2 w/Gravity Grip or  ER6 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip or Tommy Armour Impact No. 3

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Bridgestone RXS Mindset, Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I typically use a 60 from the rough, a 56 from the sand (unless the lips so high that I have to go 60, or when the balls in the back of a bunker on a downhill lie), and either a 56 or 60 from the fringe/fairway depending on whether I'm going uphill or if there are obstacles in the way. I also occasionally go with 52 out of the fringe if I need a bump-and-run.

WITB
Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST D 

3 Wood: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue St D

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max

5-PW: :taylormade-small: P7MC

52*, 56*, and 60*: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 Nickel w/Custom USA 🇺🇸 Paint Fills

Putter: Sacks Parente Custom Series 54 Mid-Sized White 1 Stripe - Center

On 8/21/2024 at 4:54 PM, jaskanski said:

This. Without visualisation and imagination, you'lll never be a great chipper of the ball. You might be good with a go to club - but you'll never be great.

I would agree to that to a point. You can still be imaginative when using 1 club. Obviously we will never be him, but Mickelson generally uses his 60° and then adjusts the ball in his stance for how he wants it to fly/roll. There are different circumstances when you will have to us something different than your go to, but you have to be willing to do that. 

WITB Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4 Grips Midsize  Ball - Vice Pro Plus  Glove - Kirkland Signature

Driver - Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver 10.5° TENSEI™ 1K Black 65 Stiff Saft

3 Wood - Warrior Custom Golf 15° (Got this over 10 years ago as a demo deal)

3 Hybrid - Taylormade R7 Draw 19°

7 Wood - Warrior Custom Golf 24° 

5-GW - PXG 0211 (Bent 2° weak from stock) Dynamic Gold 95 Stiff Staft

54/58 - Vokey SM9 Jet Black True Temper Dynamic Gold S200 (127g) Shaft

Putter - 005 Wide Blade Center Shaft Putter with Spider-Man Superstroke grip.

For chipping I use a 55 degree sand wedge.  For greenside rough of more than 3 inches I may use a 60 degree lob wedge and use a sand blast shot.

:callaway-small:Driver, Callaway, 13.5 degrees, Bassara Lite shaft

Fairway Wood - Callaway Great Big Bertha 5 Wood Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 -  Pured

Hybrid - Mizuno JPX-923 Fli Hi Hybrids, Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 - Pured

Irons - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL Irons, Shaft KBS Tour - 60g, Pured

Putter - Odysey, Two Ball, Center Hosel, Mallet

Ball - MaxFli Tour X

Bag - Vessel, U.S. Coast Guard design for the Veteran Golf Asoc.

Cart - Sun Mountain

cobra snakeeye 56 degree I have it Dial in from 60 yards and anything farther then that i usually pull out the pitching wedge 

Edited by chris51

chris

My 54 degree 

71 years old, been golfing for 40+ years. Was a single digit handicap in my 30’s and 40’s. Currently play to about a 12. I have pxg driver and irons, Wilson wedges, mishmash hybrids

My go to chipping club depends on the chip, but it is still absolutely my 60 degree. It is so versatile, whether I need to open up the face on it or hood it down to let it roll out a little more, which is also where I can get in trouble with it. Recently, when I have a chip that I want to roll out a decent ways, I have started using my 52 degree which has started to keep me from getting trouble and losing a stroke to a duffed chip with my 60.

Callaway Rogue Subzero

Ping i230 4-PW

52, 56, 60 degree Professional open wedges

My go to chipping club depends on the chip, but it is still absolutely my 60 degree. It is so versatile, whether I need to open up the face on it or hood it down to let it roll out a little more, which is also where I can get in trouble with it. Recently, when I have a chip that I want to roll out a decent ways, I have started using my 52 degree which has started to keep me from getting trouble and losing a stroke to a duffed chip with my 60.

Callaway Rogue Subzero

Ping i230 4-PW

52, 56, 60 degree Professional open wedges

On 8/21/2024 at 10:55 AM, cnosil said:

Don’t have a go to; lie and intent determine club selection.  

True statement. 

Ping 410 +

TM M6 3w

TM M6 5w

TM Stealth 2 4h

TM P790

TM Grind 2 50.9

TM 54.10

Vokey 58.10s

Scotty Newport Mid Slant Pro Platinum

Ball: Titleist Tour Soft, TM Soft Response Yellow

I primarily use a 50* wedge. I can hit it higher, lower, bump and runs….

The only time I don’t use the 50 is to carry a feature (bunker or a mound) that has a short sided pin location. Then it’s a 60* 

Right or wrong, I was taught 35 years ago to pick a club either a PW or Gap and learn to use it in all situations. Learn how to make it do anything you need it to do and you will eventually be a good short game player. It works for me.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the speed of the greens. Fast will bring out my 54 sand wedge while slow that could be anything from a 7 to 9 iron.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5 at the Flat Setting

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons     Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

All shafts are Ping's CB Alta, Regular in Woods and Hybrids, Stiff in the irons ( I just like these shafts and never saw a reason to look for 

others)

I don’t like running type shots.  I’m a 75% flight 25% run guy.  Mostly use my 54°, occasionally I will use my 48, but it has to be a long one, and even then I attempt a 60/40 carry/run. I was never very good at distance control on the runner, so I deleted it from my game.

My go-to is my 56 degree wedge but distance is the biggest determinant for me. Also the layout of the green. If I'm shortsided: 56 with an open face, if I'm going for a bump and run then 48 deg and let it roll out. 52 for anything in the middle.

My Bag: Driver: TaylorMade 9 deg. Stealth 2+. 3 Wood: TaylorMade Stealth 2+, 3 Hybrid: TaylorMade SIM 2 Max, 6 Iron: TaylorMade SIM 2 max, 5-P: TaylorMade P770 2024, 48: TaylorMade MG4, 52, 56: TaylorMade MG3, Putter: O-Works Marxman

56 degree cobra snake eye I use it 60 yard and closer . I use it as a sand wedge and also for chips close to green I get a nice high flight so if I over hit it stops a little more on the green.  

chris

I use all 3 wedges depending on the situation I'm facing. 50* for longer bump and runs, 54* for uphill shots, 58* for flop, bump, bunker and a number of short sided shots. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

After working on my chipping during the Winter, my chipping has improved a lot this year.  I have learned to chip using a lot of different wedges and sometimes  non wedges like a 9 or 8 iron or a hybrid.  The key is ball position and some times lie angle and the type of swing used as well.  My go to has been trying to hit it lower with spin which means ball position closer to the back foot.  Really been fun this year.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

I typically will use 54 if I have a lot of green and 58 if not. I don't trust my distance with a true bump and run - of course I don't practice the shot, so it's not terribly surprising. When my chipping game is good, I'll vary the height/run of the shot with open/closed face and ball position. When I'm struggling, I TRY to keep it simple and just get it on the green in a reasonable place.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
7W: :callaway-small:Epic Flash 19* TourAD (can't remember the exact model)
4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 23* Recoil 780ES
5-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
54*, 58*: :Sub70: TAIII Black
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Most Recent TestFit For Golf 2.0

I'm generally using my 60 or 52 for chipping or using my PW for a bump and run. Just got a AW that I'm going to try out some bump and runs with this weekend.

Dr- Wilson Launchpad 

3w,4&5H,6i-PW-Strata

52°, 56°, 60°- Bombtech

P- Cleveland Frontline Elite Cero 35"

I like the variety and options that I’m reading in this thread.  Fun stuff. 

Personally, I used to be a straight wedge player but have learned that the putt can be really effective.  

so, if I’m in the fringe, it’s usually a putter (an Ok putt can be better than many chips).

If I’m around the green, it’s usually a lob/sand/pitching wedge.  The specific tool I use depends on the lie, how much green to work with, how the greens are rolling for the day, etc. 

When I need to perform the occasional flop shot, it’s a sand wedge (my sand wedge has a good amount of bounce and allows me to - usually 😉 - pick it clean). 

MountainManJeff

I’m on a mission to consistently shoot in the 70’s. 
WITB

Nothing fancy. 
An off-the-shelf bag-in-a-box set of Top Flight clubs from Dicks 

:odyssey-small: Odyssey Rosie EXO mallet outter

I use a pretty cheap TourTrek push cart

i have a Bushnell ion2 Golf watch

:titleist-small: I use Titleist Prov1 golf balls (I also like the :callaway-small: Callaway chrome soft triple track)

home golf simulator is a $50 net, a Garmin Approach R10, and a Motivo golf mat. 

usually my 56 sand wedge when I want it to stop but I think I should start practicing some chip and runs with my 50 degree gap wedge

Driver-:PXG: Gen6 Tensei white 75g xflex tipped 9 degree

3 wood- :PXG:proto 

hybrid- :PXG: proto

irons- :mizuno-small: mp52

gw- :cleveland-small: 50 degree 

sw- :callaway-logo-1: jaws 56 degree

lw- :cleveland-small: 64 degree

putter- :PXG: bat attack

bag- :ping-small:

ball- :bridgestone-small:  :titleist-small:   

I use a variety of clubs depending on the distance from the hole and the lie. If I am 3-4 feet from the green I normally use an 8-iron. I will use a 9-iron 4-8 feet and the go to my Pitching Wedge then Gap Wedge. I want to get the ball rolling as soon as possible. When I really first started playing 40 years ago, the gentleman I routinely played with in the morning, had great touch around the green. So I started practicing what he was doing and I have stuck with it. My 30-40 yard game normally saves me 4-5 shots a round. 

Randy Mercer