Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Time to Ditch Iron Numbers? Why Loft Should Be the Only Label on Your Clubs

KJano05

Finally something I can get behind!!!

Numbered Irons are annoying. Please for the love of golf just put the loft number on them. My buddy is hitting a 7 iron that's 27* mine is 33*  it's meaningless at this point. 

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

1 minute ago, Off Map Oscar said:

Finally something I can get behind!!!

Numbered Irons are annoying. Please for the love of golf just put the loft number on them. My buddy is hitting a 7 iron that's 27* mine is 33*  it's meaningless at this point. 

100% agree!  
Companies do it for ego boost sales! You go to buy an new irons and you’re hitting the new 7 iron 185 due to the loft and boom, customer is hooked haha not knowing they’re hitting more like a 6 or 5.5 

NA

I actually will agree on this too.

It's not just with irons

Wedges have shifted to this starting a number of years ago too.  Even hybrids are labeled in lofts vs numbers for at least 15 years.

A unified system would definitely simplify things in club selection. 

BTW,  while looking for a specific meaning behind why they are numbered,  this little history lesson was enlightening. 

https://golfcollege.edu/evolution-golf-club/

As to why they won't relabel them, because they can be adjusted so easily now. So while your 7i may be stock loft, if it had a degree label, it wouldn't match that when it is adjusted.

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Does it really matter? Whether it’s the loft or a number printed on the club head you are going to figure out what yardage you hit that club. Then said club ( number or loft) becomes your say 150 yard club and you go from there. At least that’s how I look at it.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

Love this. I think the easiest way this would work would be doing what some companies like Cleveland did in the past. Numbered clubs with the lofts in small writing under it. Then there's no guessing. 

Love this take though. 

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

7 minutes ago, Bossfan said:

Does it really matter? Whether it’s the loft or a number printed on the club head you are going to figure out what yardage you hit that club. Then said club ( number or loft) becomes your say 150 yard club and you go from there. At least that’s how I look at it.

Some players are very particular about little details while others are strictly practical. 

Titleist T-400 6-iron loft,  23°.
Louisville Golf Tom Stewart 6-iron, 40°.

No big deal?
Some say no,
but all of us don't agree.

Every time I read one of these threads, I wonder if it's a sense of entitlement of what their perception of a club # should be in terms of loft, distance etc. Who cares what the number on the iron or whatever says? It may as well be differnent farmyard animals to differentiate one club from another. The whole point is it's still the end user who has to make that club go the distance and direction they want.

Edited by jaskanski

If the big names would all just stop monkeying with lofts we would be fine...but monkeys gonna monkey.

The problem with loft only labels is that people don't grasp that yardage and loft do not have a linear relationship. People obcess over having wedges at 48, 52, 56, 60 with no idea whether they produce equal yardage gaps.

Loft gaps are typically only about 3 degrees at the top end but more like 5 or even 6 degrees down low. At the end of the day, you still need to know your yardage for every club in the bag. I'd rather associate 155 yards carry to a simple single digit club number "7" than to "my 30.5 degree iron".

And what do I gain by knowing that my 7 iron is 30.5 and not 30 or 32 degrees? Depending on shaft, face design, head weighting, etc. it's still an open question as to how far I'll hit it.

So no, leave the numbers and maybe stop messing with everything else while they are at it.

Symbols?  Hmmmm?  I can't say for sure, but it would be pretty funny to watch someone be asked "hey Jim, can you grab my pink bunny club for me" 🤣

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

7 hours ago, Bossfan said:

I’m in this camp. Who cares what the number is. As long as the gap is correct, thats all that matters. It’s only a problem if you’re worried about competing with length on your friends. I couldn’t care less if they hit longer than me. I care more about whether a shot is hitting the green. 

What would be more difficult is reading the numbers on your club because you’re not looking for two digits instead of one. If it’s 22 and 25 degrees, there is more chance of picking the wrong club where as 5 and 6 are more obvious. 

GT2 10° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 60  
GT2 16.5° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 70
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black 6.0 4G 
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips
Garmin Z30

41 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

3i = 🐵

4i = 🦬

5i = 🦄

6i = 🐭

7i = 🐰

8i = 🦇

9i = 🐮

PW = 🦋

Perfect!!!  😆 🤣 😂 

WITB-

2 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Perfect!!!  😆 🤣 😂 

Time to order the stamping kit.  Temu here I come...

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I like it the way it is and only care about seeing the loft number on my wedges and I can easily look up what the loft is on my irons with a quick Internet search. 

Screenshot_20240915_082658_AdblockBrowser.jpg.821fdf140b2a6ef57c65897bcc37a044.jpg

These are the Cobra Forged Tec X irons I was fit into last year. 

I don't mind seeing a variety of lofts on different 7 irons, we all have different needs in order to get the right performance out of our equipment and I'm glad the club manufacturers offer so many options to make the game more enjoyable. 

I have sets of more "traditional" lofts and the 7 irons go as far as my current 9 (110 yards) which would make the game more difficult for me since I would have to hit longer irons in on approach shots and I would honestly quit playing if I'm not having fun out there. 

10 hours ago, KJano05 said:

Time to Ditch Iron Numbers? Why Loft Should Be the Only Label on Your Clubs

Golf has a tradition of labeling irons with numbers, but is that system outdated? As manufacturers tweak lofts to squeeze out more distance, a 7-iron from one set can have the same loft as a 5-iron from another. So, why do we still rely on numbers that no longer mean the same thing across different brands?

The Case for Loft-Only Labels

Loft is what really matters when it comes to determining how far and high your ball flies. Two irons labeled with the same number can perform completely differently depending on their lofts. Imagine if you knew you were hitting a 34-degree club instead of just a “7-iron.” Wouldn’t that make it easier to compare clubs, track your performance, and make better decisions on the course?

Why Stick to an Outdated System?

Some argue that iron numbers are a tradition that provides simplicity. But does it really simplify the game when the same number can mean different things depending on the brand? Switching to loft-only labeling would give golfers a clearer, more consistent understanding of their clubs and remove the confusion created by varying lofts.

Let’s Debate: Tradition vs. Clarity

Is it time to ditch the iron numbers? Would loft-only labels make the game more transparent, or would it complicate things further? Let’s hear your thoughts—does tradition still have a place in modern golf, or is it time for a change?

I personally have have no issues with the numbers because I am focused on my game and the way my clubs perform. I don't really reference what other 7 irons go because well they aren't my clubs. 

The same thing can be said for shafts, why do we have SR, R, S, XS and so on as there is no industry standard. For me some things are the way that they are and for the simplicity of those getting into the game it is best to keep things as is. 

I couldn't imagine being a newer golfer going into a store and seeing 46,42,38,34,30,27,24,21 on irons... I would be baffled and more intimidated than anything. It would require a whole new level of expertise and knowledge to be passed along. While it makes sense for us, the general consumer would be hurt by making this change.

Again it would be the same if shafts were changed to a breakdown in tip flexes, torque profiles, weights and all that. The general consumer just wants to know if it is a S or R or whatever flex.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

2 arguments against just loft numbers I've seen here is it doesn't matter i know blank is my blank club and beginners will be confused. 

Let's break that down a bit. Let say for example you're playing a friendly non cash game with a friend. You're about the same 120 yards from the flag with water on thr back side. So you take your 9-Iron and with a little help from the wind pipe one just to back edge of the green almost into the water. Your partner being concerned he asks what did you hit? 9-Iron. Oof the wind up there must be worse than I thought so he clubs down to a PW. But you play a jacked 9-Iron from pxg with a 36* loft and his 9iron is 42* and by clubbing down he's now holding a 46* and shorts it so much he missed the green. Same scenario.  But instead you said I hit a 36* he looks at his club choice and realizes he's already a club under you and sticks it pin high makes the birdie and you all get to have one of those tequila slammers that's been sitting in your bag all year. See it's a win win. Obviously some humor in this situation and club make up plays a bit of difference in distances but not nearly as much as loft. I switched from 115 grain steel shafted jacked clubs to 95 grain graphite shafted traditional lofts and the two clubs at 31* are still my 150 yard club. One was an 8 and the other a 7. I'd be more likely to rent clubs instead of lugging my travel set around if I could look at a loft number and be within 10 yards ish. And seriously if your inside 100 most of you are saying 2 digit number anyway. 55 yards hmm. Better use my 60. It's not harder it's not more complicated and it's accurate. Hell I wish they did it on the TV. When Bryson hits a club with an iron number farther than anyone else ever has.... we'll no 💩. His 7-iron is more jacked than any brand on the market at 25*. So he says I've got 220 to the green I'm just gonna take a nice easy 7 iron. I have to go look it up and oh. He's actually got a 5 iron in his hand or even a 4 for regular people.  Now if he said 220 that's a nice easy 25.... okay that tracks I can get 210 out of my 5 if I crank it but I'm gonna need 2 or 3 shots with a 7 to get that far. 

And the beginner. You wouldn't believe how many relatively new players and even some with a few years I've talked to that had no idea that lofts changed between models of clubs. I've seen some beginners grab an off the shelf iron set then realize they need wedges. Well I'm new let's just grab a 3 pack from a random brand and I'll get better stuff when I'm better. 

Then I play with them and they've got a huge range gap where their pitching wedge is too far and their 52 is too short. 

And it makes sense if their game improvement irons have a PW with 41*. So you say it's too complicated for an adult to look at a pair of numbers and see a massive 11 degree gap where everything else is a 4 degree gap I think you're wrong.

I've also seen the inverse happen. Beginner player had an iron set with a GW and a sand wedge and also had a wedge set in the bag. I was confused and asked him. He just grabbed what his buddies had told him.  He needed an iron set and a wedge set they said. Well not knowing better he bought an iron set that went to SW and he was carrying clubs that had duplicates in the bag. And I noticed this when he was hitting driver on a long par 3. Why don't you have a 3 wood, hybrid or something I asked? No room for it and he couldn't hit the 4 irons well so he just used driver on anything near 200. He'd have known if the loft number was on every club. 

The TLDR version.  Loft number is the only thing that means something anymore. I believe the veteran and beginner would be better served by just lofts. And while not the ultimate indicator of a clubs performance it's substantially better than iron numbers. 

Edited by Off Map Oscar

8 minutes ago, Off Map Oscar said:

Let's break that down a bit. Let say for example you're playing a friendly non cash game with a friend. You're about the same 120 yards from the flag with water on thr back

You answered what my response would be to my partner already. It's 120yds, what is that club for you?  For me, I hit my gap wedge. 

What I hit and what somebody else hits will always be two separate things. Again, I personally don't care what is on the club as long as I know what distance i hit each club. 

Edited by Josh Parker

20 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

You answered what my response would be to my partner already. It's 120yds, what is that club for you?  For me, I hit my gap wedge. 

What I hit and what somebody else hits will always be two separate things. Again, I personally don't care what is on the club as long as I know what distance i hit each club. 

What's a gap wedge? This set they lent me at the pro shop has an AW and a LW.

I think a lot of us forget what its like to be a high handicap or even brand new.

25 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Again, I personally don't care what is on the club as long as I know what distance i hit each club. 

Obviously true,
but just knowing that the clubs aren't hitting at the distances you want
doesn't help you much at all.

Faster swing-speed hitters hit 4° gapped irons 12-15 yards apart from one another.

Slower swing-speed hitters hit 4° gapped irons 8 or 9 yards apart from each other,
and get less variation on long irons gapped only 3° apart.

The major OEMs have VERY COMPETENT engineers.
They KNOW this.
They knew it long before I figured it out.

Thus failing to make 5° gapped GI models for slower swing-speed players
has to be a deliberate marketing consideration that benefits them
but not their customers.

I am always disappointed by how much slack
the general golf community is willing to cut them.
Is it excessive tolerance or lack of understanding?

I have no issue with the numbers on the bottom of the club, doesn’t really matter to me what number it is as long as it goes the distance I need it to.

The ego does take a bit of a hit when I’m hitting 7 iron and someone else is hitting PW, although they might really be the same loft!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

1 minute ago, TJ Hall said:

I have no issue with the numbers on the bottom of the club, doesn’t really matter to me what number it is as long as it goes the distance I need it to.

The ego does take a bit of a hit when I’m hitting 7 iron and someone else is hitting PW, although they might really be the same loft!

Again, it isn't so much the strength of the lofts as the gapping between them.

1 minute ago, RetiredBoomer said:

Obviously true,
but just knowing that the clubs aren't hitting at the distances you want
doesn't help you much at all.

Faster swing-speed hitters hit 4° gapped irons 12-15 yards apart from one another.

Slower swing-speed hitters hit 4° gapped irons 8 or 9 yards apart from each other,
and get less variation on long irons gapped only 3° apart.

Is it excessive tolerance or lack of understanding?

I'd say lack of understanding.  I play with about 8 different guys fairly regularly and if I asked each of them wha the loft on their 7 iron was maybe 2 would know. 

1 minute ago, Off Map Oscar said:

What's a gap wedge? This set they lent me at the pro shop has an AW and a LW.

I think a lot of us forget what its like to be a high handicap or even brand new.

Rental sets, I'm going to have to figure out distances at the range regardless.  I haven't forgotten about being new to golf.  My point is, I could have the same set of irons with different shafts and the distances could be completely different.  I have to know my distances for each club no matter what.  I don't need to know your distances. 

No matter what is on the bottom, it's up to me to learn how far each club carries. Dots, numbers, lofts, symbols make no difference to me. 

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I personally have have no issues with the numbers because I am focused on my game and the way my clubs perform. I don't really reference what other 7 irons go because well they aren't my clubs. 

The same thing can be said for shafts, why do we have SR, R, S, XS and so on as there is no industry standard. For me some things are the way that they are and for the simplicity of those getting into the game it is best to keep things as is. 

I couldn't imagine being a newer golfer going into a store and seeing 46,42,38,34,30,27,24,21 on irons... I would be baffled and more intimidated than anything. It would require a whole new level of expertise and knowledge to be passed along. While it makes sense for us, the general consumer would be hurt by making this change.

Again it would be the same if shafts were changed to a breakdown in tip flexes, torque profiles, weights and all that. The general consumer just wants to know if it is a S or R or whatever flex.

Agreed. Golfers in general, are behind the ball regarding equipment education.

If you’re being fit, the clubs in that genre are generally speaking, within similar margins for loft and performance so altering the club number for lofts doesn’t (IMO) offer much of a benefit. 

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

8 minutes ago, RetiredBoomer said:

Forget about loft strengths.
Does gapping matter to you?

Of course... 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)