Your Brand Opinion: Cobra Golf

My driver before my current one was a Cobra. I had it custom made on their website with specific shaft and length (shortened).  I played it for about 5 years and overall loved it.  Back then, it was such a good value for a modern driver.  When looking for my next driver, I couldn't find similar value in price at the time.  I hit another brand and liked that one.  

Still have the Cobra in case I break my newer one.  I also love the logo and the name. I even had a Cobra hat I wore everywhere.  

Southpaw

Driver:   :callaway-small: Rogue ST MAX LS, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 65 Graphite Stiff

Woods:   :titleist-small: TSi2 Fairway Wood 5W 18°, Fujikura ATMOS 5 Blue Graphite Stiff

:titleist-small: TSr1 Hybrid 23°, Mitsubishi Speedmesh HY 50 Graphite Regular

Irons:     :titleist-small: 718 AP3s, stiff steel shafts, 5-P                                          

Wedges:   :titleist-small: Vokey SM6 46, 50, 54, 58

Putter:   :odyssey-small:  White Hot RX #9

Balls:     :vice: Pro Plus 

Long post - most people will probably skip the details. My main point is they make very good clubs at a good price point, but have poor rep support in my area. 

I inherited a lot of good vibes about cobra. My dad is the long time fanatic and equipment hound and he has a lot of cobra clubs, explaining that they produced good quality, well designed clubs, but usually at a better price point. 

I played a cobra fly-z driver which I hit very well. Because it was old, I figured new was better. I tried an ltdx ls driver and snap hooked it way too often. I got a standard ltdx head next and hit that decent, but then I got to test the AI smoke TD which has been a great fit for me. 

I bought aerojet 3 wood and 3 hybrids at a great price listed as used mint and they came new, just without headcovers. I hit them well. 

For one of my daughters, I got her a women's aerojet driver also used mint (was new) that she loves. 

Now, the long details of my experience eit cobra irons:

When I returned to golf a year ago, I started playing my dad's 2017 cobra forged tec irons with recoil graphite shafts - senior flex. The clubs felt sooooo much better to hit than my old Ping i3 irons. I have a tendency to pull / hook shots and I thought some of that could be the flex and lightness of the shafts, so once I was starting to get my swing back, I went for an iron fitting. 

I did a paid fitting at a PGA Superstore. During the fitting, I asked to try the cobra forged tec and the fitter said they don't make them any more (he was wrong). He said people don't typically ask to hit cobra. He looked at his demo clubs available and unwrapped a never used 2023 cobra King tour head. I loved the feel, comparable to the clubs he fit me into otherwise, the Mizuno jpx 923 forged. Unfortunately, he fit me into the kbs pgi shaft which it turns out are not available in the king tour heads (tapered tip heads), but we didn't find that out until I placed an order. 

When the order got rejected by cobra, pga sent me an email suggesting the cobra forged tec with the kbs pgi shaft, bent weak to match the king tour lofts. I of course was confused as the fitter had said the forged tec was no longer being made. 

I went back and tried the forged tec and learned I don't like the feel of hollow body irons, or at least not the ones I tried. 

Because of hand issues, I need to use graphite shafts. The only graphite available on the king tours is the mmt and the steelfiber, both required a $350 upcharge. Worse was that no one nearby had the shafts to test. 

I called around and even called corporate and it turns out there is no Cobra rep assigned to my geographic area - the north suburbs of Chicago. The corporate person said he could waive the premium upcharge for the shafts. I asked if I placed the order through pga superstore, if I could get that price and he said they'd have to approve it. Because I had already paid pga ss for my order, I figured I'd give them a chance to match the price. 

PGA ss said they would match the price if cobra sends me an email with the price which seems reasonable. They still said they had no way for me to test those heads with the available graphite shafts, after they asked around. 

I call back cobra and speak to the same sales person and he said they were told that morning they could no longer discount the clubs and if I am still interested, I'd have to pay full price for the shaft upgrade. 

I was very frustrated at this point, but liked the irons and wanted to try them. I found a used set with stiff steelfiber shafts at global golf. When they arrived, they were slightly more beat up than I had hoped and initial testing did not feel great. I wasn't sure if it was the shafts or something with the heads, but I decided to return them and went with my Mizuno jpx 923 forged irons which I'm very happy with. I think the loft gapping in the cobra King tours would be a better fit for me. They just weren't meant to be. 

Rick

Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke TD 10.5 Denali Black 60 Stiff
3 Wood:  Cobra Aerojet 15 Kai'li Blue 60 Stiff
3 Hybrid:  Cobra Aerojet 19 KBS PGI 85 Stiff
5 Hybrid - Mizuno 220 ST-X 220 Aldila Ascent 50 Stiff
6 Hybrid - Mizuno 220 ST-X 220 Tensei CK Blue 70 Stiff
Irons 5-Gap:  Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, Recoil SW 780 Stiff
Wedges:  Cleveland RTX3 V-MG Cavity Back 50 turned to 52 and 56/11
Putter:  Odyssey 2 Ball

Many years ago, I used their driver and was quite happy with it. In the last 10 years or so, I have just liked other driver choices more. The last couple of lines look fine, but have not done it for me. I have a playing friend who always hated Cobra, but now plays their driver. As for Fairways and hybrids, I have loved them and still often use an old Fly-Z 5 and hybrid. The irons have always looked good to me. I like their design and the tech seems solid, but I have been playing DTC clubs for the last 8 years. I have a Cobra putter that I use and love. I just bought it this year. I am extremely impressed and will probably play it for years (unusual for a putter for me).

:ping-small: G400 Max driver,  Alta CB shaft R

:callaway-small: heavenwood

:cobra-small: Hybrids - 3 and 4 set to different settings depending on course. Sometimes a Taylormade 4

Maltby STi2 irons 5-GW, Fujikura Shaft

:vokey-small: 54, 58

:taylormade-small: Ardmore 3 putter

Fantastic, just got some LTDx one length irons (due to my incredible lack of skill, and they were half price) and they are far better than the person using them.  The company did design well, they do go long compared to other clubs I have used.  The clubs are clearly super game improvement by looking at them, but not obnoxiously so.

I have loved Cobra golf (drivers) since around 2006/07?? - I bought an F Speed, then a few years later went to S2, then went to F6, then to Speedzone Xtreme and then my last Cobra driver the Rad Speed - I loved this last driver until the face was damaged (not by playing golf)
But then I really did not like the LTD or Aero Jet - something did not feel right to me - And ended up going to Taylormade and still have one 
I will say I like the Dark Speed a lot, but it is not any better than the Stealth 2 Plus as of right now - especially for the money

A couple years ago was fitted for the King Tours and I absolutely love these irons - they are really close to my second favorite irons ever (1. MP14, Tied 2. MP33)
They beat out T100/T200, Srixon ZX7/5 in the fitting - They just feel amazing and do everything that I need them to 
I will also say that the King Tour Dark irons look really cool and may try and replace mine this year with them  

As a whole I think Cobra still gets the red headed stepchild treatment, is it warranted, no but I can see why to a certain extent. 
What average golfers do not know is how much technology is in a Cobra golf club - I am thinking of the 3D printed stuff now - pretty much ahead of everyone else right now 

Driver 1:  :taylormade-small: Stealth 12 degree-Ventus Red 5-S

Driver 2: :taylormade-small: 300 Mini-Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60G Stiff (tipped to 44.5inch)

3 Wood 2: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max-Fujikura Pro 65-S (higher ball flight)

5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth-Ventus Black 6-S

9 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth-Ventus Red 5-R

Irons: :cobra-small: King Tour 2023-Fujikura Pro 95 Stiff - 6-9 - Fitted 

Wedges: :titleist-small: SM9-45-10F

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack-48-Mid/10

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 6-52-Mid/10, 58-Mid/10

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S-Fitted 

Balls :odin: - X1

7 hours ago, Shankster said:

Cobra is one of my favorite brands.  Although, I wish they would remake the AMP Cell Pro irons.  In my opinion they were the best modern “players” irons made, you could include the Fly Z Pro’s too.  They are quite bold, yet not loud or obnoxious like some of the brands.  I also think they could benefit from having a “Bob Vokey” type wedge guru on staff, I like their wedges, but they could be a lot better.  

A little birdie told me they have a wedge overhaul coming soon.

WITB:

Driver: Rogue ST Max LS, tensei 1k white XS

3w: PXG gen5 XF

3h: PXG gen5 xf

4-g: Cobra King MB/CB flow set

56/60: cleveland cbx

Putter: odyssey backstryke marxman or cobra vintage nova depending on the day

Cobra used to be one of those brands that seemed to be much bigger in Europe than in the US back in the 90's. The Baffler metals and rescue clubs were cool, the drivers with ridiculous offset were not...but they have been producing some great products the last several years. I think Rickie and Bryson (even though he doesn't use Cobra clubs anymore) have really helped Cobra's brand.

I really like the look of their player's & player's distance irons, and while I haven't tried them - I've read great reviews, and played with people who play them and love them. The Aerojet and DarkSpeed metals also seem to be viewed favorably. To be completely honest, I couldn't tell you anything about their wedges or putters, which tells you where their current market focus lies.

Driver: image.png.a4fd9ccd262e6afa89ac28ab0c13130f.png  Mavrik 10.5 loft, dialed down to 9.5, Project X HZRDUS T800 Orange 55g, 6.0(stiff)

Fairway Wood: image.png.a4fd9ccd262e6afa89ac28ab0c13130f.png  Mavrik 3 Wood 15 degree loft, Project X HZRDUS T800 Orange, 65g

Fairway Finder/Rescue Club: Tommy Armour 845 2 iron, True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Hybrid: image.png.a4fd9ccd262e6afa89ac28ab0c13130f.png Mavrik 3 Hybrid, Project X Catalyst 65g

Irons: image.png.a4fd9ccd262e6afa89ac28ab0c13130f.png Mavrik irons (5-AW), True Temper Elevate 95 steel stiff shaft

Wedges: image.png.e7e2add9d78f70b5d1cc57a961f020e6.png Vokey  SM9 56 degree, F grind; 60 degree, M grind

Putter: image.png.e7e2add9d78f70b5d1cc57a961f020e6.png Scotty  Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5+

Ball:  image.png.04747de8f9aca055ccd980959d1e2014.png  Tour X

2 hours ago, cajunhacker said:

I switched from T100s irons to Cobra King Tours and they are far and away a better iron. Better feel, better sound and more forgiving. It wasn’t really close and it’s a shame more people aren’t looking at the King Tours when shopping irons. 

I believe a lot of it is that they aren’t readily available at demo days. My clubs has a few demo days a year and cobra isn’t a vendor. 

I spent this year trying everything in that players market serarching for my next set of irons purely based on feel - i didn't NEED new clubs but wanted to move away from hollow body (which are a tad number). 

The t100/s/150 feel amazing on great strikes and perform well, but I couldn't shake a weird feel on off center strikes that I didn't like. I'm guessing it was something to do with the tungsten "cube" in the heel and toe - but there was a hollow-mild rattle clang in the toe when it was mis-hit that I HATED and ultimately turned me off the T-series irons. Up to that point it was a tie with those and cobra king line but the Cobras felt just as good out of the middle but not weird on bad strikes.

Ultimately the King TOUR wasn't my pick. They were great but they had a little bit of vague feel (ony compared to the CB/MB) and they all went a tad far for me, so ultimately I went with the cb/mb set with their weaker lofts. LOVE them.

WITB:

Driver: Rogue ST Max LS, tensei 1k white XS

3w: PXG gen5 XF

3h: PXG gen5 xf

4-g: Cobra King MB/CB flow set

56/60: cleveland cbx

Putter: odyssey backstryke marxman or cobra vintage nova depending on the day

I have not used their irons but I have used their driver and fairway woods. They are nothing shor of amazing. That is saying alot because I have been a life long Taylormade guy. Since hitting the LTDX LS I don't know that I will go back to Taylormade. 

I have a set of Speedzone irons I was fitted for in 2019 with Recoils and they're still working well for me. My Radspeed 3 wood was great until I recently upgraded it to a Qi10. I have slightly better performance with the Qi10 in terms of distance and dispersion, but it is several generations up from the Radspeed. I wasn't able to try Cobra's latest 3W but that's related to Lefties Lament - (little if any left-hand stock including in OEM carts). 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Currently have Cobra driver(Speedzone) and irons(RadSpeed). I've loved the clubs so far; their drivers are so forgiving with such a hot face the ball just explodes off it. I love the look of the irons but, performance matters, and as some game improvement irons these feel great in my hands. 

I've enjoyed the look of some of their woods & irons as well, they do a good job of being different but not obnoxious. 

Big fan.

WITB: 

Driver: Cobra Speedzone Extreme :cobra-small:

5W: Callaway Big Bertha B21 :callaway-small:

4H: Callaway Rogue ST :callaway-small:

5i-PW: Cobra Radspeed :cobra-small:

52°: Vokey BV52 :vokey-small:

56°: Cleveland CBX2 :cleveland-small:

Flat Stick: L.A.B Link 1 :L.A.B.:

After me clubs were stolen I tried Taylor Made, Ping, Miura and Titleist sets. None of them seemed to have what I was looking for. I played with a friend who had Cobras and he let me hit them. I went home that day and bought a set. I've been playing them for 3 years now and love them. It's almost time for a new set and I will definitely buy Cobras again.

pxg driver with Taylor made rbz stiff graphite irons and my amazing directed force l.a.b. putter

Many years ago I lusted for a Cobra offset driver.  I never got one.  Last year I bought a Cobra Air X 5 wood.  I love it.  It's easy to hit and gives me the right distance.  It was so good I bought a 3 wood.  I am not as thrilled with it as the 5 wood but it is better than what I had, a 20 year old Calloway.   I think Cobra is as good as the big 3 and a good bit cheaper.

☹️

I play the F6 driver with my third upgraded shaft.  The sound is perfect, solid & muted.  Very accurate.  Also have the Cobra F6 3-wood and 19 & 24 degree hybrids.  The only hybrids I've hit that feel as solid are Titleist.  I just keep upgrading the shafts.  Used heads are ridiculously cheap.  Every year I'm more out of date.  Oh well, straight and consistent will have to do. 

Instructor sought: Teach me how to make 6 foot putts without practice!!!

Good morning fellow golfers! 

I've had my Cobra Aerojet driver for about 2 years now and there isn't enough superlatives for this club. When I went in to buy a new club I tested every new driver on the market and I would by lying if I said I thought I would be walking out of the store with the Cobra Aerojet. However after hitting balls in the sim the #'s didn't lie, the Aerojet was the best across the board by a decent margin. Of course I am skeptical about #'s in the sim bay as they always seem to good to be true, so I was estatic when these #'s translated out on the course. For anyone who is in the market for a new driver and doesn't want to break the bank, I believe you the Aerojet is selling for ~$250 in store which is a steal. This is the most forgiving / longest driver I've ever owned, you won't be disappointed. 

AB

I have tried a few Cobra products, the most impactful was the one length iron system. I think they seem to have solid quality products that look great. Is it me, or do they always get downgraded the forgiveness and accuracy measures though?

Callaway mavrik driver and 3 wood

Taylormade sim 2 max os irons

Callaway CB mack daddy wedges

LAB DF 2.1 Putter 

Srixon Z star Diamond ball

Have no fair appraisal of Cobra products.  Never played them.  Am rather biased when it comes to clubs, shoes and apparel.  I lean towards the Acushnet family of products.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S, 58.08M 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I have and have had a decent amount of cobra clubs in my days. Simple answer is I don't think a company makes better woods over all. Driver, 3 woods, hybrids for me, perform the best and also sound the best without charging as much as the big names. The darkspeed from this year hi one of the best looking drivers I have ever Used. I'm glad they got away from neon green and other weird flashy colors. I wish they were more like titleist and were more understated with colors. Their irons have never really resonated with me. I have tried a few sets and visually they are not my favorite clubs.

Wedges and putters are trash. The 3d putter line up was terrible in my opinion. The wedges are just not good in my opinion.

I would give cobra a solid 7/10 overall. Just about average and middle of the road but a long way to go for top contender.

I have all Cobra woods....LTDx LS Driver and Speedzone 3 and 6/7 woods.  I love all 3 and was fitted for all of them.  In my opinion, they are vastly under-rated (at least as far as woods as concerned).  Nothing I have ever tested, and I try things all the time, has been able to beat them.  I just ordered the Darkspeed 7-wood and am going to lower the loft on my current one and increase the loft on this one as I am LH and can not find a 9-wood.  I am curious to see how I like the Darkspeed, without the baffler rails on the sole.  The most telling thing I can say about them is that my woods are the oldest clubs in my bag. 

I am a fan of Cobra for a while now. I was always interested in their one length irons. I got a set but I had three sets of irons that I changed out like underwear.

I final decide to do a fitting at a local golf shop. Determined to find the best set for my game. After over an hour of testing , I found that the Cobra irons were longer and more consistent that anything that I had tested during the fitting. I am quite happy with the results..

I have been using a Cobra LTD driver for a year or so now and I really like it. A friend bought one, I tried it and really liked it so I purchased one myself. I have since purchased a LTD 5 wood and recently a Dark Speed 3 wood, which is great. For me it's not about the brand but more important, does it work for me, does it fit & feel right. I tried all of the top brand drivers and the Cobra just seemed to work best for me.

I tried their Aero Jet irons at a testing event out here and really liked them as well, when it comes time for new irons, I will definitely look at their iron sets.

I feel that Cobra clubs are as good as any other brands, and like I said, it's just what works for the individual. 

Cobra is working pretty good for me. 

Edited by Dean Skinner

Driver - Cobra LTD MAX Helium 5F3 R Flex                                                                                                                                                 

3 wood - Cobra LTD MAX Helium 5F3 R Flex                                                                                                                                              

Hybrid - Cleveland 2 Halo Launcher 16deg &  Callaway Big Bertha Diadlo 21deg                                                                                                                  

Irons - Callaway Apex 19 (5 - PW)                                                                                                                               

Wedges - Callaway Mac Daddy 50, Jaws 56 & 60                                                                             

Putter - Odyssey WhiteHot OG Mallet                                                                                                                   

Grips - Golf Pride Tour Wrap (Jumbo), Super Stroke Tour 2.0                                                                                 

Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

I recently purchased a Cobra 7 and 3 wood and love them , great setup and feedback from both , have a set of irons that the shafts are too heavy to suit me but like the look and feedback they gave 

Ping driver 

ping fairway

tour edge irons 

Cleveland wedges

Scotty mallet

I always have been interested in Cobra.  Their  products are stylish and their concentration on speed focuses on distance which a lot of older folks can get behind.  

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Fusion

3wood: Titleist 917F

5 wood: Titleist 917F

irons Titleist T350 5-pe

hybrids Taylormade 4 

wedges: Titleist SM8 50/54/58

putter: Scotty Cameron Newport slotback

Cobra continues to pump out amazing products year after year. Their LS drivers have proven to be top performers, along with their family of irons. From their MB/CB, to Tour, to Forgerd Tec. The only thing I believe they need to improve upon is their wedge game. It just doesn't seem to get a lot of attention and frankly I just think they don't have "sex" appeal in the bag. 

I play the Darkspeed LS and have one of their utility irons in my bag. 

I'm curious to see what people say about Cobra, but I think they're a respected golf brand. People probably look to try their drivers in the bay.

I have a Cobra Radspeed 3 wood and it really is quite amazing. The sound and feel are excellent IMO. For the money it’s an incredible value. 

Callaway XR driver

Mizuno JPX919 mixed set (love these)

Taylormade EF wedges

Odyssey Tank Versa Putter -blade

Srixon ZStar mainly. Trying ProV1. 

Ping Pioneer cart bag

Jones Carry bag

Shoes - Nike Air max 1, 90s, Jordan 4, True Linkswear Lux Knit, Puma Adapts  

I really like Cobra, but I don't have any cobra clubs anymore. I demoed the DarkSpeed LS driver and really liked it, but I am torn between it and the GT4 (or GT3, I could go either way). I have always hit Cobras very well, but I have been on this DTC kick lately and have unofficially reviewed New Level irons and Newton shafts, so I really haven't invested any time into Cobra. Maybe I need to start this offseason, which is about a month away for Wyoming players....so bummed!!! I just played my 116 official round yesterday....I think I am at 140ish total rounds since January....Sorry, got off track; yes, I think I will take a hard look at Cobra this offseason. Oh, and I agree with a lot of you, it is an under-appreciated brand. 

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* or EPIC Max LS 10.5* or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* 

Woods: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpg Mini or TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png Mini BRNR

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H, 4H, 5H 

Irons: NL.png.a16c1db32eb8495938c8958152d9be4c.png902PD 

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* 

Putter: SM.jpg.6ec6e268aa1364f355b3f10b9901b64e.jpgBlack MiniGiant 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

I love my cobra clubs, I started with a speedzone driver because it was half the cost of all the other new drivers. Love it recently this season I picked up the cobra MIM iron set and it is amazing. I can't explain the feeling when you hit a good shot with them you know it's good just by the feel from the club. I will definitely have more cobra gear in the bag in the future

20240614_195043.jpg

Edited by prestonjep