Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

2013 Nike Covert Experience

The Dansome

• SPY VIP

That's one way to save weight so it can be put lower! Will definitely have to try the Covert Tour now since I didn't even realize it was 440cc.

When we talked to Callaway about the design of the RAZR Xtreme they mentioned that the difference between the smaller, lower-lofted heads, and the larger, higher-lofted heads had a lot to do with placement of the center of gravity.

Essentially there are some reasonably safe assumptions that can be made about the needs of an 8.5* player vs. those of an 11.5* player (launch conditions/spin/etc.). The varying head designs allowed Callaway engineers to optimize each loft for the expected player profile.

Incidentally, Callaway will tell you that this is one of the advantages traditional (single-loft) drivers have over the new all-lofts-in-one-head designs we're seeing from Cobra, Nike, and TaylorMade. In those drivers COG is fixed, and so a guy playing a driver set at 8.5* has the same COG placement as a guy set at 11.5*.

With the R1 you can mitigate that a bit with the Shop Shape Weights (still getting used to the new name), but with the others, you get what you get - and that very likely means a head optimized for the middle.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

When we talked to Callaway about the design of the RAZR Xtreme they mentioned that the difference between the smaller, lower-lofted heads, and the larger, higher-lofted heads had a lot to do with placement of the center of gravity.

Essentially there are some reasonably safe assumptions that can be made about the needs of an 8.5* player vs. those of an 11.5* player (launch conditions/spin/etc.). The varying head designs allowed Callaway engineers to optimize each loft for the expected player profile.

Incidentally, Callaway will tell you that this is one of the advantages traditional (single-loft) drivers have over the new all-lofts-in-one-head designs we're seeing from Cobra, Nike, and TaylorMade. In those drivers COG is fixed, and so a guy playing a driver set at 8.5* has the same COG placement as a guy set at 11.5*.

With the R1 you can mitigate that a bit with the Shop Shape Weights (still getting used to the new name), but with the others, you get what you get - and that very likely means a head optimized for the middle.

Huh, that's probably the single best reason I've heard for non-adjustable drivers. Considering how little a driver is adjusted after buying it and the fact that the shafts are still easily removeable, the Xtreme may be at the top of my list now, though I still want to try the Covert Tour.

My own experience with MWT/Shot Shape is it's useless. This is true for the Xtreme as well.

edit: definitely want to try the amp cell pro too

• 3 weeks later...

I will say my experience was different than furu. I liked the Covert Tour much better than the Preformance. I only spent limited time with them on the range at the PGA Show. I started with the Tour and stripped it down the middle high flying shots that just seemed never to come out of the air. When I went to the preformance the shots were all over the place. Back to Tour same result. Loved the sound and feel of the Tour as well. Now I will say that the Kuro Kage in the Preformance I believe is only 40 grams. That very well could have had a major impact on my results as my quick transition does not seem to work out well with a shaft that light. No launch numbers on the range when I was there so I will have to spend some quality time at Golfsmith or similar facility to make a final determination on a driver purchase this year.

One final thought......I have never played a Nike golf club before that I recall. With the covert they have me looking at them for the first time. It is a quality golf club.

That's one way to save weight so it can be put lower! Will definitely have to try the Covert Tour now since I didn't even realize it was 440cc.

I'm thinking the fact that it's 440cc is just due to the cavity. They didn't shrink the size. If you covered the cavity, I'm betting it would still displace about 460cc.

I'm thinking the fact that it's 440cc is just due to the cavity. They didn't shrink the size. If you covered the cavity, I'm betting it would still displace about 460cc.

It is smaller, deeper face, but a much more compact head.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I hit the Tour version of the Covert yesterday, and I can tell you with 100% certainty, that sucker is low spin and low launch. I hit it with the exact same shaft as is in my Superfast 2.0 version 2 LCG, and it's LOOOOOWWWW. That would be the PXv Tour 52. I set it at 8.5 initially, as my SFTP 2.0 v2 LCG is an 8.5 head. Launch with my SFTP 2.0? 13.1 degrees and 2900 RPM. Launch with the Covert Tour with the same shaft? 9.1 degrees on average. Cranked it up too 10.5 loft, average launch angle? 11 degree average. Spin was around 2200 RPM's. I was losing distance due to lack of spin and launch angle. I wished I'd have had more time to dig into the other shafts available and see if I could get it optimized, but that sucker was LOW launch and spin. I did notice as I set the loft higher (stayed with the open setting on the sleeve) the face closed more and more as the loft went up. I wished he'd have had shorter shafts as opposed to the stock length, but the good news is that they'll adjust swingweight to your preference if you custom order one (according to the Nike staffer that I was hitting the club with, whom I know personally).

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived