Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Callaway X Utility

Blade

So, I've intended to get one of these since I first saw them. Not that I'm crazy about the looks. It looks fine to me. But I didn't get one for the looks. I'm more confident with my long irons than I am with a 3 wood. I've hit some great 3 wood shots onto par 5 greens for birdies. In fact, that's where my very first birdie came from. But I haven't spent enough time practicing one either and have more misses with it than I do with irons. I set my 3 iron from 21 to 20* just to get a bit more out of it. When I heard about these, it was a no brainer for me really. I wanted an 18*

Since the club head looks so long in pictures, I thought I would post pics of it next to my 3 iron. It's the same length, almost. Just a touch longer. It's shorter to the top line. That in addition to the long flat look of the "muscle" on the back, makes it look longer than it is.

It has a weight port on the bottom. I've read you can put 2,4,6,or 8 gram weights in it. It says 6 on mine. It feels lighter than I would like. I would like to put the 8 in. However, I have yet to find a weight and tool kit for it. If anyone knows where to get one, let me know. Not sure how much difference 2 grams will make to the feel, but I want what I can get.

I've only swung it inside. It feels great and easy to hit one pure shot after another. I'm expecting some good reliable distance out of it for me. With highs forecast to be in the high 20's or low 30's this weekend, I doubt I will even try to go to the course.

The sole is relieved on the heel and toe. The shape and weighting of it leads me to expect it to slide through light rough better than a standard 2 iron would although not as good as a hybrid I imagine.

For me, I will decide if I want to leave my 3 wood out altogether, or keep both and leave my 60* out. I don't always use the 60*. I can do almost anything I want with my 56*. Sometimes a particular shot or compact sand in a bunker will make me choose the 60* with less bounce though. Kinda hate to not have it. I think my percentage of good shots with the X Utility compared to a 3 wood will be enough that I can give up some distance in exchange for fewer misses. We'll see. My 3 wood doesn't have the right shaft for me in it. Who knows, I might fall in love with one that fit me right.

Oh well, enough rambling. Here's the pics.

2013-01-10_16-52-26_420.jpg

2013-01-10_16-54-45_320.jpg

2013-01-10_16-55-32_684.jpg

2013-01-10_16-56-51_623.jpg

2013-01-10_16-57-48_379.jpg

2013-01-10_17-00-24_503.jpg

2013-01-10_17-01-39_913.jpg

Looks good Blade let us know how you like it on the course.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I got rid of my 3 wood because I couldn't hit off the deck or tee and replaced it with a driving iron. So far I like it because my misses aren't as bad as they are with a 3 wood and it probably goes almost the same distance. I tried the Callaway and wasn't a fan of the feel but that was probably more of the shaft.

I got rid of my 3 wood because I couldn't hit off the deck or tee and replaced it with a driving iron. So far I like it because my misses aren't as bad as they are with a 3 wood and it probably goes almost the same distance. I tried the Callaway and wasn't a fan of the feel but that was probably more of the shaft.

I agree on the distance. I don't think I'll lose much and I'll gain a lot more in good shots. The more I swing it just hitting into a net, the more I like it.

I just checked the loft and lie. The loft was dead on at 18*. It launches plenty high enough for me. I may set it to 17* after seeing the ball flight. I'm glad it's forged. The standard lie for it is 58* and it was at 57*. I have my 3i set at 60* and this is a half inch longer. So I set this to 59* to start with. I'll probably hit it off the lie board this weekend and see how close I am. Then when I use it outdoors and see what the ball is doing I'll decide if I should tweek it up or down.

So far I hit this dead on as far as center contact and initial direction (for 10 feet into a net anyway), I'm sure it will be my favorite alternative to the driver off the tee.

Now to just find the 8 gram weight and a tool to change it!

Archived