Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf Galaxy Grand Opening in Columbus

Mr_Theoo

The new Golf Galaxy opened here in Columbus this weekend. Big deal right?

New gg.jpg

IMG_0760.JPG

Line before opening on Friday

Its just another big box store, but this one is a bit different. Its 32,000 sq feet, there are 4 OEM specialized fitting booths. There is a 1200 sq feet putting green which putters from just about all the major guys. They have a SAM putting unit and an Edel Putters for your fitting options. Three hitting 4 hitting bays each with their own ForeSight. 2 PGA professionals for lessons. They also have a big workshop for your club building supplies and needs. Needless to say they went all out on this one.

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

The OEM fitting booths Ping, Titleist, Taylormade and Callaway, all have a specially trained fitter so each one knows how to fit the brand.

IMG_0777.jpg IMG_0775.jpgIMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

I like this approach because each OEM seems to have a different way to fit someone, as well as different ways they measure their clubs. Its also nice to see they all have plenty of shaft options, too many times when you go to get fitted in a store you're stuck with hitting what's available off the rack. I really hope this is a new model for other stores because if you only have the option of a big box for your golf needs its nice to have one that has plenty of qualified people and options for fittings.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Awesome write up!

Any chance you asked what happens if someone goes in for a fitting for say, a Ping G30 and wants to get fit side by side for a Taylormade R15? Do they have both fitters stand side by side? Or have you go from one booth to the next? Haha (joking, It's a cool design). But how would that work? I'm assuming they'd just grab the club as a comparison.

The only thing I wouldn't like is it seems like each OEM fitter would obviously push their product. Which would be fine for someone who is a brand loyalist. But one nice thing, when I go to a big box store I get to compare multiple brands side by side and form my own opinion from a usually unbiased fitter. I just worry that may be compromised here.

For example, I walked into my last fitting fully expecting to buy another set of Mizuno's, and walked out of the store with a full set of i25's on order. I would have never considered that iron had the fitter not suggested I try it. Turns out I was hitting the 7 iron from the 125's a club further than the 6 iron from Mizuno (seems exaggerated, and like the lofts are cranked or something, but they really aren't. I was completely blown away).

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Awesome write up!

Any chance you asked what happens if someone goes in for a fitting for say, a Ping G30 and wants to get fit side by side for a Taylormade R15? Do they have both fitters stand side by side? Or have you go from one booth to the next? Haha (joking, It's a cool design). But how would that work? I'm assuming they'd just grab the club as a comparison.

The only thing I wouldn't like is it seems like each OEM fitter would obviously push their product. Which would be fine for someone who is a brand loyalist. But one nice thing, when I go to a big box store I get to compare multiple brands side by side and form my own opinion from a usually unbiased fitter. I just worry that may be compromised here.

For example, I walked into my last fitting fully expecting to buy another set of Mizuno's, and walked out of the store with a full set of i25's on order. I would have never considered that iron had the fitter not suggested I try it. Turns out I was hitting the 7 iron from the 125's a club further than the 6 iron from Mizuno (seems exaggerated, and like the lofts are cranked or something, but they really aren't. I was completely blown away).

My guess is the seperate bays are for guys who either know what they're looking for and need to get dialed in or guys who are just starting to look. I went to each booth and all the fitters were very helpful and didn't try to push their product which was nice.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I believe what you're saying, and hope that's the case.

But, at the end of the day I wonder if things would be different if you were there for a fitting. Obviously to represent the OEM and have the logo all over the bay means that company has an interest in selling you their specific brand.

It'll be interesting to see how that plays out with the new store. Store looks beautiful though!

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I believe what you're saying, and hope that's the case.

But, at the end of the day I wonder if things would be different if you were there for a fitting. Obviously to represent the OEM and have the logo all over the bay means that company has an interest in selling you their specific brand.

It'll be interesting to see how that plays out with the new store. Store looks beautiful though!

Very true but the guys working in the OEM bays work for Golf Galaxy not the OEMs so they should be able to remain unbiased at least in theory

Cool experience Theoo -- it'll be interesting to see what happens with Golf Galaxy.  They seem to be in a static mode here in the Twin Cities, while GolfSmith seems to be the leader.  

There's a big new GolfSmith opening up in Chicago soon - would love to take a ride down there and check it out...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Cool experience Theoo -- it'll be interesting to see what happens with Golf Galaxy.  They seem to be in a static mode here in the Twin Cities, while GolfSmith seems to be the leader.  

There's a big new GolfSmith opening up in Chicago soon - would love to take a ride down there and check it out...

cbf5df770d03d1a2ef1b3294c11c79e4.jpg

Haha. That thing is classic.

It'll be interesting to to see how this shakes out for ALL of the golf stores. Only the strong survive... Who will be the first one to do something truly different to stand out? And who will that be? 

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

As xMassa says it will be interesting to find out what stores flourish in a given area. Down here we do not have any Golf Galaxy stores but we do have a Dick's Sporting goods store which in my opinion sucks period!! We now have 2 Golfsmith stores since they bought out 2 local owned big box stores called Golf Diminsions. We have 2 PGA Superstores since they bought out another locally owned big box store called Martin's Golf and Tennis. It is funny for a while one goes like gangbusters and then it slacks off and then the other one goes for a while. Most of their business seems to be from the vacation trade not locals. Most of the locals go to several custom fitters in the area for all their clubs and work. But from what I have observed both go wide open during the spring golfing season. I know for a while both of the big box stores had plenty of components and clubmaking supplies but both slacked off bad. I quit messing with either one of them on that and went back to ordering from my previous suppliers on the net etc. It is easier for me since I don't have to put up with people trying to sell me stuff I am not even remotely interested in

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Those fitting bays may very well be manned by OEM-specific employees.

Many retailers are selling floor space to companies to sell their products like at Macy's for instance, and then the companies man their brand-specific counters with their employees and that's all they sell is that specific brand.

The GG near me needs an overhaul BADLY. One of the first they ever opened and it looks it. It's literally depressing to go in it. It's just a huge box. They used to have 4 or 5 sims at the back of the store. Took them out long ago.

I can't believe they're still open its so slow any time I go in it.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Pretty cool.  Ive never been a huge GG fan but this setup looks amazing, I'll have to check it out.  Now that my old standby, the Golfsmith on Sawmill Road has closed, Im going to be looking for a new golf shop anyways and Ive never been all that impressed by the Easton Golfsmith.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I at at the Olive Garden that's right in front of where the Golfsmith used to be on Sawmill Rd last night and when we were leaving it was the first time I noticed that it was closed. I honestly had no idea. Theoo and I are at the GG by Tuttle right now.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

You guys and your golf trips... Haha.

I wish I had something close enough to go there multiple times a week! Oh well!

Divots, you make an excellent point and it makes me wonder if that possibly may be what was done here. It'd be interesting to send Theoo or severtheties in and have them mystery shop these guys and report back to the forum. I think that would be a blast of a time to read, and really see how these guys operate.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

You guys and your golf trips... Haha.

I wish I had something close enough to go there multiple times a week! Oh well!

Divots, you make an excellent point and it makes me wonder if that possibly may be what was done here. It'd be interesting to send Theoo or severtheties in and have them mystery shop these guys and report back to the forum. I think that would be a blast of a time to read, and really see how these guys operate.

I'm sure we can arrange that. I'm sure in a couple weeks it should settle down enough to go in and get a good feel of how they're going to operate under "typical" conditions. Not grand opening conditions.

That would be awesome! It would definitely fit the theme of the whole site, and I'd really like to see each of you guys go in for a different OEM fitting and just see how it goes. See if you can get an honest comparison, or if things seem to heavily favor the OEM.

Too bad Columbus is too far away, otherwise I'd help out. Haha.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

It's only 4 hours away. Not that bad!

This could get interesting because I had the 915D3 head today and the G30 LS on Friday and I really hit both pretty well. The Titleist bay has what seems to be quite a bit more shaft options there as the Ping bay only has Ping shafts. Now I have nothing against Ping shafts so who knows what the outcome will be so this could get interesting. I'm also very interested in the results of the Paderson shafts. In any case I think this head to head/different bay test could really show us what they're all about with the new store layouts.

Yeah I agree completely! The key is going to be not to show your hand. You have to have the role of the knowledgeable customer, and not the forum guy whose reporting on what they do.

I hope for the sake of the golfers down there that they aren't biased. And can recommend another product if that product fits better than theirs.

We will have to see it Theoo is on board. It'd be nice to have both of you guys there in opposite OEM bays.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Yeah I agree completely! The key is going to be not to show your hand. You have to have the role of the knowledgeable customer, and not the forum guy whose reporting on what they do.

I hope for the sake of the golfers down there that they aren't biased. And can recommend another product if that product fits better than theirs.

We will have to see it Theoo is on board. It'd be nice to have both of you guys there in opposite OEM bays.

Its really not a hard thing to talk Theoo into going to the golf store...just saying...lol  :D  ;)

Its really not a hard thing to talk Theoo into going to the golf store...just saying...lol :D ;)

It is too!

Those fitting bays may very well be manned by OEM-specific employees.

Many retailers are selling floor space to companies to sell their products like at Macy's for instance, and then the companies man their brand-specific counters with their employees and that's all they sell is that specific brand.

The GG near me needs an overhaul BADLY. One of the first they ever opened and it looks it. It's literally depressing to go in it. It's just a huge box. They used to have 4 or 5 sims at the back of the store. Took them out long ago.

I can't believe they're still open its so slow any time I go in it.

Bummer. I loved Martins. Hopefully they don't end up going too much commercial and still offer all those clubs used.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

34,000 sq feet ! thats a decent size GG.  The one down here in San Antonio started going down hill as soon as Golfsmith came into town.  Watts has turned into a joke....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

34,000 sq feet ! thats a decent size GG. The one down here in San Antonio started going down hill as soon as Golfsmith came into town. Watts has turned into a joke....

Yea I hope that doesn't happen to the golfsmith that's in the same area

Archived