Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

New to Long Drive

HandiCAPEable

Hi everyone,

My friend has been progressing quickly in long drive. Quick background:

Was clocked at 135 mph on Trackman with off the rack Rocketballz.

Hiiting that club well, carrying up to 310-320.

Got Jamie Sadlowski 48" 78g shaft and better form led to 330+ carry. (Then caved the face in on the second range bucket.)

Worked with John Marshall today who is very.confident my friend will make Mesquite.

Now there is a Krank Formula 5 56g 5.5 degree on the way. Our biggest problem, where to hit? Our best option at this point is a range that was lasered at 350 to a treeline. We were thinking maybe a field somewhere?

I have video from our session with John and plan on uploading. Hoping some here may have ideas on where to hit, or anything long drive related. We're just starting out and could use a good practice regiment, workouts, anything you guys would like to throw our way.

Of course if anyone has any questions we'd be more than happy to answer, thanks everyone!

How's it going? I started getting into long drive events last spring and ran into a similar issues. I am lucky though because I have a local range that has a 400+ yard range so you can see carry and most of the roll. The problem with hitting at a 350 yard range is that it really helps to see roll out, not just carry. At least for me it does.

I know a lot of the guys go with Krank, and it is a great club, but there is a new one out called Sinister Golf that makes a pretty solid head called the Agent Orange. I also like the Geek NoBrainer.

Good luck with everything. It is addictive and a lot of fun. I am fairly new but if you have any questions let me know. If I cannot answer them some of my LD friends probably can.

I almost forgot. If you have not found it yet, you can check out www.incepta.ca, that is pretty much all LD, all the time.

Thanks for the fast responses guys. What John told my bud was he can't wait to hear how he hits the Krank driver, to keep in touch, and let him know when he's made it to Mesquite, lol.

He said that as nitpicking, if he stays down a little longer through contact he should "have some more speed in there".

I know there's a pretty extensive golf community on here so just figured I'd try and see what other nuggets might be hiding 8D

Wow, thanks so much, definitely going to have to point him at some of that info

Also, based on today's experience I do think he'll be going back to see John again. He's not just a great teacher, but an all-around really nice guy and fun to talk to. Hopefully I can update with new faster swing speeds soon. I'm real curious to see what he clocks with the lighter and longer shaft.

If your friend is serious about competing, I would attach myself at the hip to John and work out a lesson/training schedule with him.

The other thing is at that level, 130+ SS's are a dime a dozen.

Seriously, it's like guys who can run a 4.4 40 in the NFL.

But LD, at that level, is mental. And noone knows better than John Marshall the physical/mental preparation that goes into stepping onto the tee in Mesquite.

John's first year, he won 8 or 9 locals and then competed in three regionals, finishing 3rd, 2nd & 2nd out of 20 guys.

They took one.

John went home.

However he went back and won it twice.

Whatever he wants fee wise, I'd beg, borrow or steal to get it if your friend is serious.

Another protege of Mike Austin's, Dan Shauger, who taught Mr. Marshall the Austin method, authored two books, "How To Kill The Ball, The Formula For Power and Accuracy" & "The 21st Century Golf Swing." Mr. Marshall is featured on the cover of "The 21st Century Golf Swing,"(on left) along with Mr. Shauger and Jim Liska, who was a REMAX Finalist, finishing Runner-Up.

Also, Jaacob Bowden provides the Forward for the 21st Century book and along with Mr. Marshall, serve as swing models. If your friend is serious, and is going to fllow-up with Mr. Marshall, these books will go a long way to providing the details of the Austin Theory/Method.

Also, there are two Class A's on the sight, Apprenti & PGA_09, though they are not really into throwing "tips" out there, however they're both Great guys and I'm sure would answer any questions, though PGA's outa Philly & Apprenti's just north of Chi-Town, so they're not gonna be much help on locating 400 yard runways, lol.

The Best

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Those books were degraded by so many in the teaching community. I loved them..I so believe being closed at the top and closing all the way to the finish is the way to play for us casual guys. Makes it so easy to hit the ball

Great books..also loved Gerry hogan book too

Agree richard...infact if you look at current teaching with trackman numbers. Tons of top teachers are now promoting " throwing" from the top ..like Austin did. No more hold lag, like a decade ago..more about adding loft and speed in the impact area,

I love all mike Austin's stuff...

An extraordinary man..

RIP mike

Hey RP. I learned early on..in online forum golf , everyone hits it 300 plus..and are all scratch of mini tour players. I'm honest, I hit it no where.,but I still have fun playing how I play. Infact..I played my best golf ( many many moons ago) , never knowing what my swing looked like. I just went by what ball flight I had in warm up before the round,,if I faded it fine,,if hook or draw even better. If I was hitting it left and right, than I better be putting like a tour pro..

That was how we used to play ..things sure changed

Archived