Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

TaylorMade Introduces Project (a) Golf Ball

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

I'd put this up on the front page, but I swear to god, one more front page TaylorMade story in the next few days and we're likely to have a revolt on our hands. As always, they're keeping busy, and not for anything, the new PROJECT (a) probably deserves front page attention. It's almost a shame I had to forum-bind it.

This is TaylorMade we're talking about, so I don't think anyone would fault you even one itty bit if you were to assume that the 'a' stands for AWESOME SAUCE, but it actually stands for amateur. Yup...PROJECT (a) is TaylorMade's latest ball specifically designed with the amateur in mind.

And here's the thing; in talking with Josh Talge and Lindsay Main from TaylorMade's ball team I came to believe two things about TaylorMade's 2014 Ball Lineup.

1. They believe Tour Preferred is the best Tour Ball they've ever made, and that it's good enough to compete with anything else at that level (and that includes the untouchable Pro V1).

2. They believe that PROJECT (a) is absolutely best in its class (it's positioned alongside the NXT series and things of that ilk...what I generally call B-tier balls). 

It's really a shame that TaylorMade isn't putting out the info that shows things like PROJECT (a)'s Spin Slope (basically the difference between driver spin and iron spin) comparisons, because what I saw suggests a ball that offers lower spin off the driver, and more spin from the irons, and around the green.

Worth noting...and you can bet it's included in the press release below, the PROJECT (a) is one of only a few Urethane (softer) covered balls at the +/-$30 price point ($31.99).

Keep an Eye On Pebble Beach

As you might know, this week is the annual AT&T Pebble Beach ProAm (where Bill Murray will once again prove that he peaked at Caddy Shack, and hasn't been much in the way of funny since). As with any ProAm, there will be lots of Ams playing with the Pros, and so TaylorMade believes this is the ideal spot to introduce the amateur golfing world (that's you...and me) to the new ball. 

I know what they're trying to do. I don't know if it's going to work, but if it does, it could make PROJECT (a) the most relevant ball in golf...for a few minutes anyway.

FULL PRESS RELEASE

TaylorMade Golf Company Introduces

the PROJECT (a) Golf Ball

Specifically designed to help amateurs control the ball like a Tour pro

into and around the green

CARLSBAD, Calif. (February 3, 2014) â€“ TaylorMade Golf Company today announced PROJECT (a), a golf ball engineered to promote more spin and improved performance where amateurs need it most, into and around the green.

The “a” in Project (a) stands for “amateur,” and the reason for its creation is simple: Amateur golfers generate less spin than Tour professionals. Project (a) is designed to deliver more spin on mid irons, short irons and shots around the green; resulting in enhanced control and increased scoring opportunities.

proecta-box.jpg

“Having gathered data from many player types including Tour pros, it's no secret that amateurs need help generating spin and stopping the ball on the green,” said Dean Snell, vice president of golf ball R&D. “Our tests indicate that amateurs miss the pin by an average of 35 yards on a 150 yard approach shot. Playing Project (a) gives amateur golfers a better chance at stopping the ball on the green, creating better scoring opportunities.”

The high-spin performance of Project (a) is rooted in Soft Techâ„¢, a cast urethane cover that's TaylorMade's softest and most durable to date. At $31.99 per dozen, Project (a) is one of few golf balls at its price point with a urethane cover.  Soft Tech is likewise used in TaylorMade's new Tour Preferred franchise.

projecavid.jpg

Click image to view Project (a) product video

In addition to delivering excellent spin performance, the Soft Tech cover also provides an even softer feel around the greens than previous TaylorMade offerings. The ball's durability provides higher resistance to shearing.

While Project (a) spins with great veracity on shots into the green, it's also engineered to spin low off the driver to promote longer and straighter drives. 

Project (a) also incorporates additional TaylorMade patented and proven technologies, including:

·         REACTâ„¢ Core for greater ball speed on all shots for increased distance.

·         Spin Mantleâ„¢ designed to deliver precise and consistent spin rates on given shots throughout the bag.

Project (a) is available now at retail for $31.99 per dozen. For more information, please visitwww.taylormadegolf.com

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

These guys aren't sitting still, are they?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• SPY VIP

These guys aren't sitting still, are they?

I'm convinced the PR guy is at the controls right now, and the dude thrives on chaos. Any stagnation and the blood clots.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I didn't hear anything about this while out there, all the talk was about the new Tour Preffered ball, which is hands down the best ball they have ever made. "Amateur" covers a very broad area; any idea what kind of swing speeds they're trying to pair this ball with?

Isn't this the replacement for the RBZ Urethane they were talking about?  They didn't give many details, just that there was a replacement coming soon, it would have a urethane cover and be a competitor to the NXT lineup.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

We did hear a snippet, but I misheard it as Project 8, not A.  I like the retention of the name, and if this ball fits the model I think it does, I am *really* interested to see how it plays.

I've already got a stack of balls to try for this season

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I played a sleeve of the RBZ Urethanes last year and really liked them. If this is an improvement on that ball, I'm in. Though it may be later in the season, I found the RBZU on blow out for $13/dozen and bought 6 boxes. 

very cool, i'll definitely pick up a sleeve and try them. i actually saw these on the TMaG Japan website a while ago and thought they were a JDM product only!

Looks like there will be one more line of golf balls to be introduced from the Japan site in addition to this, the TAYLORMADE DISTANCE line of balls in Tour White and Tour Yellow offerings, pretty cool :)

http://japan.taylormadegolf.com/product_detail-483-overview.html

Driver: Looking for a new one for 2014! Covert? SLDR? Big Bertha? Any suggestions?!

3 wood: Taylormade RBZ 3-wood, stock

Hybrid: Adams A4OS 3 hybrid (19 degree) and 4 hybrid (22 degree)

Irons: Callaway X18 irons, 3-PW

Wedges: Cleveland 588DSG 54*, Titleist Vokey SM2 60*

Putter: Nike Unitized Leo

Shoes: Adidas TOUR360

What does this say about the one ball schtick from three seasons ago? :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived