Sign in to follow this  
fozcycle

Driver Vs Driver

I got this email today.......Do you have a design in your head that can win?

WE'RE LOOKING FOR AN IDEA THAT WILL CHANGE THE GAME. AND YOUR LIFE. Wilson is launching a new reality television show to air on Golf Channel where contestants compete to design the next great driver. Anyone can enter, no matter if you're an industrial designer or just a fan of the game.

19688186702_407a6ae0ff_o.jpg

Enter today for the chance to have your club produced and sold in pro shops around the world, earn Advisory Staff status at Wilson Labs and WIN $500,000*

APPLY NOW

• Like 2

So, all you lawyers out there... If I had a great idea that resulted in a patent, does that mean that Wilson owns the patent since I am an Advisory staff?

Also saw a piece on the Golf Channel today about it. It's gonna be a reality show.....with thw final winner bagging $500,000!

So, all you lawyers out there... If I had a great idea that resulted in a patent, does that mean that Wilson owns the patent since I am an Advisory staff?

Yup. Guarantee you would have to sign it over to them. It's probably written into the rules for submitting a design. It becomes their's.

• Like 1

I actually spoke to them about us all coming in with a design.  There were some legal issues that kept us from doing it.  But would have been cool to have a MyGolfSpy created driver that was launched by Wilson.  

Regarding giving over designer rights, I have not read through all the legal disclaimers, but 100% of the time I have seen these done, yes your design rights would be given over to the company running the contest.

If it's anything like UST Mamiya's "design us a shaft" - I'd pass.

The golf industry has run out of ideas to be honest - if there's a geometric shape left that somebody hasn't already tried, then I'd like to see it.. Somebody who earns a lot more money than you would like you to also do their job for them it seems. And from a company that has struggled to compete with the other leading OEM's in the past few years, I'd be inclined to tell them to go take a running jump. 

• Like 2