Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

6 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

good stuff... "starting the ball where aimed" how did you get feedback on that? 

While I have your attention lol, I have often wondered, if you walk fast, talk fast, basically move fast, does that seque to your golf game, if you walk slower, talk slower, are more present in your every day life, does that seque to your golf game.

Someone like Brendt Snedeker comes to mind, he seems to be a "fast" guy and he had a fast putting stroke... 

I guess to summarize my question, does your DNA determine or have influence on your golf swing? 

That's an awesome question...

Would make for a great thread and one I need a min to think on. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

53 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

While I have your attention lol, I have often wondered, if you walk fast, talk fast, basically move fast, does that seque to your golf game, if you walk slower, talk slower, are more present in your every day life, does that seque to your golf game.

Have had discussions with pros and have seen others talk about this. Our tempos are our tempos and we shouldn’t look to change them in the swing.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

10 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

Someone like Brendt Snedeker comes to mind, he seems to be a "fast" guy and he had a fast putting stroke... 

I guess to summarize my question, does your DNA determine or have influence on your golf swing? 

couple of the drills I have been doing:  

• take an object with a straight edge (ruler, chopstick, marker,  etc) and setup with face square to the back edge and make putts sending it straight.
  • put down a yardstick/alignment stick/or something straight and setup 2 ball equal distance off the straight edge 2-3 feet apart and roll one ball into the other.  You should be aiming the putter straight through the front of the ball you are impacting. The collision should send the second ball straight away.  If the ball goes left or right,  you didn't stroke where aimed.

Part of what is being learned is how to setup and move the body to accomplish the goal of stroking where aimed.

years ago Dave Pelz suggested that walking and putting rhythm had a correlation.  I have also read that this is completely false and Nick Price is a key example of where it doesn't work.   The answer to your question is probably buried in some detailed neuroscience study on body and brain mechanics.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I’ve been grinding a lot this offseason with Jayson. Things are going well. Currently working on changing the loop sequence to keep my shaft pitch more shallow in downswing. I can’t quite do it full speed but at least I can stay on plane. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

On 2/11/2024 at 10:32 AM, cnosil said:

IMO,  line comes first.  If you can't deliver the putter correctly and start the ball where you intend you cannot dial in speed.  Rhythm (tempo) is simply another skill to work on to help dial in speed,  they are not the same thing...I can have great rhythm but terrible touch. 

... I almost completely disagree. Almost. I think speed is infinitely more important than line. I see it all the time with Am's and leaving a putt 6 feet short or rolling it 6 feet past causes more 3 putts than missing the line. Rarely do I see anyone misread a line by 6 feet, unless it is a putt that breaks severely or they are dealing with a steep tier. Sure on a 40 footer or longer maybe someone misses their line by 6 feet which would most likely be a read issue and not a stroke issue, but again I see putts from prodigious distances come up way short our far too long than they are offline by an equal distance. 

... As you know I advise most to actually ignore their line once that have looked at the putt, preferably from both sides and their brains have that info locked in. Just concentrate on the correct speed to either die the ball in the hole or roll it 18" past, whichever works best for you. 

... Obviously if you have poor control over the face angle or can erratic stroke and you can't start the ball on your intended line, it is something you need to practice and improve. Yesterday is a good example as one of my pards wife joins us several times a week and she normally has poor distance control. Faced with a downhill 10' par putt on a short par 5 she ran her putt 7 feet past the hole. Her line was much better than her speed as she only missed by about 2". The comeback putt was uphill now and she ran it 4 feet past the hole, then lipped out the putt for a triple bogie thanks to a 4 putt. Since her line was pretty accurate but off by 2" from 10 feet and again for 7 feet had she used good speed on either she would have had a tap in of a few inches. 

... I said Almost because with shorter makable putts I do think line is just as important as speed, but even then I personally get my line then ignore it and just concentrate on speed. And to be clear I do think the line is always important, I just feel speed is more important. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Snowing today as predicted, so I'm indoors (other than snow blowing the driveway). 

Putting practice, started with mirror to check setup, used the gates to work on putter-head path. Then did the Kenyon gate drill (got 14 in a row) followed by the yard-stick drill (7/10). 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Kuro Kage HBP Black Gen 2, 44.5" length

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft (1)

Cleveland CBX4 50* and 58*, Smart Sole 4C - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Currently doing a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

11 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I almost completely disagree. Almost. I think speed is infinitely more important than line. I see it all the time with Am's and leaving a putt 6 feet short or rolling it 6 feet past causes more 3 putts than missing the line. Rarely do I see anyone misread a line by 6 feet, unless it is a putt that breaks severely or they are dealing with a steep tier. Sure on a 40 footer or longer maybe someone misses their line by 6 feet which would most likely be a read issue and not a stroke issue, but again I see putts from prodigious distances come up way short our far too long than they are offline by an equal distance. 

... As you know I advise most to actually ignore their line once that have looked at the putt, preferably from both sides and their brains have that info locked in. Just concentrate on the correct speed to either die the ball in the hole or roll it 18" past, whichever works best for you. 

... Obviously if you have poor control over the face angle or can erratic stroke and you can't start the ball on your intended line, it is something you need to practice and improve. Yesterday is a good example as one of my pards wife joins us several times a week and she normally has poor distance control. Faced with a downhill 10' par putt on a short par 5 she ran her putt 7 feet past the hole. Her line was much better than her speed as she only missed by about 2". The comeback putt was uphill now and she ran it 4 feet past the hole, then lipped out the putt for a triple bogie thanks to a 4 putt. Since her line was pretty accurate but off by 2" from 10 feet and again for 7 feet had she used good speed on either she would have had a tap in of a few inches. 

... I said Almost because with shorter makable putts I do think line is just as important as speed, but even then I personally get my line then ignore it and just concentrate on speed. And to be I do think clear the line is always important, I just feel speed is more important. 

What you said is 100% correct and I agree speed is the most important part of putting and players miss speed more than line.   The original question was what would I teach first and that would still be stroke:  how do you setup, aim, and start the ball where you aim.  Stroke is teaching technique and body motion skills.   Once the basic  stroke is in place, then work on rhythm and speed control which is teaching the player to trust what their mind is telling them about how big of a stroke to make and maintaining a consistent rhythm.

The answer to the question is very much related to the skill level of the student.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

46 minutes ago, cnosil said:

couple of the drills I have been doing:  

• take an object with a straight edge (ruler, chopstick, marker,  etc) and setup with face square to the back edge and make putts sending it straight.
  • put down a yardstick/alignment stick/or something straight and setup 2 ball equal distance off the straight edge 2-3 feet apart and roll one ball into the other.  You should be aiming the putter straight through the front of the ball you are impacting. The collision should send the second ball straight away.  If the ball goes left or right,  you didn't stroke where aimed.

Part of what is being learned is how to setup and move the body to accomplish the goal of stroking where aimed.

years ago Dave Pelz suggested that walking and putting rhythm had a correlation.  I have also read that this is completely false and Nick Price is a key example of where it doesn't work.   The answer to your question is probably buried in some detailed neuroscience study on body and brain mechanics.  

Thanks

committed to performance excellence

48 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Have had discussions with pros and have seen others talk about this. Our tempos are our tempos and we shouldn’t look to change them in the swing.

Pro golfers or instructors?    Read some things that indicate that while we have a natural rhythm but we  vary our tempo  based on the situation.  For example,  you have a normally slow tempo, but are walking in NYC at rush hour,  your tempo will increase to match what is occurring in the environment.  

Got slightly confused Monday and arrived an hour early for an appointment, so instead of sitting in the waiting area for an hour, detoured over to a nearby Dick's store and hit 12-foot putts. It was fun trying out the new Odyssey putter, but mostly I was working on speed on that carpet, trying to be consistent. Made a few along the way, including the last two, but if the misses finished within a foot* I was happy. As bad as I am with reading greens, at least I can get the speed right, I hope.

* Dave Pelz says your speed should be 18 inches past the hole if you miss, but I'd prefer not to have to negotiate those extra six inches.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

What you said is 100% correct and I agree speed is the most important part of putting and players miss speed more than line.   The original question was what would I teach first and that would still be strokehow do you setup, aim, and start the ball where you aim.  Stroke is teaching technique and body motion skills.   Once the basic  stroke is in place, then work on rhythm and speed control which is teaching the player to trust what their mind is telling them about how big of a stroke to make and maintaining a consistent rhythm.

The answer to the question is very much related to the skill level of the student.

... We are certainly the Odd Couple. 🤪 Of course I did teach and practically never paid any attention to line with my students. That said, I would have no argument with someone teaching set up and technique and starting the ball where they aim first, as you described. It all has to be addressed at some point. 

"Which comes first? Is it tempo/speed or is it the line?"

... For me the answer is tempo/speed comes first, even for someone picking up a putter for the very first time. I think it is much easier to improve your line than improve your speed. Putting is the easiest endeavor in sports. Obviously the mental pressure of actually holing the putt, successfully reading the line and speed as well as executing a repeatable stroke are what makes it maddeningly difficult at times. But just standing there and stroking a 6 foot putt on a practice green when it doesn't count is insanely easier than shooting a free throw, or serving in tennis, or hitting a pitch or even just a full golf swing. You can accomplish hitting a putt successfully soooooo many different ways. Wristy stroke, shoulder rock, short hitting motion or long flowing stroke, closed/open stance and of course gate or SBST path. Conventional, lead hand low, claw, elbow lock and long putter split grip. Golfers make all of those and more techniques work for them. 

... I am an Occam's Razor follower when it comes to putting. A conventional grip, natural waist bend and letting your arms hang naturally and tension free puts you in the best position to make a repeatable stroke. Yet more than a few do not find success with the easiest method and have developed something unique that works for them.  

2 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

My approach to my putting depends on my mood. If I am solo, I tend to play to my speed, take a more timely assessment.  If I am in a group, I tend to try and read the line quicker, but my stroke is the same tempo almost all the time. If I am having a crap day or hole,  I tend to rush my approach and line reading.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 minute ago, Rob Person said:

My approach to my putting depends on my mood. If I am solo, I tend to play to my speed, take a more timely assessment.  If I am in a group, I tend to try and read the line quicker, but my stroke is the same tempo almost all the time. If I am having a crap day or hole,  I tend to rush my approach and line reading.

I remind myself of 2 things:
1. quiet hands
2. still head

This seems to have led to fewer 3 putts.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Rechecking distances on the wedge matrix and a few drivers. Not supposed to be hitting driver. Felt good though. Distances are pretty close but the warmer weather is adding a couple yards. No problem there.

Swing thought today was path. A more inside takeaway, specifically. Good workout.

Bd2ca7e4af6a73bc083cb403dd0528f88.jpg

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

Day 32 (13 Feb 24) - Got in the Divot Board training aid yesterday, worked with it some this morning. Interesting process as it definitely shows club face position at contact.   Followed it up with some swings in the backyard using hard foam balls and 7i.  Neat part was today is very breezy so there was some opportunity to hit into the wind and let it push the ball back to the target point.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

3 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

I have often wondered, if you walk fast, talk fast, basically move fast, does that seque to your golf game, if you walk slower, talk slower, are more present in your every day life, does that seque to your golf game.

... Absolutely. cnosil mentioned Nick Price and he and Fred Couples are great examples. Watch them walking down a fairway and then look at their swings. But of course there are always exceptions so I would say DNA does not determine but it does have a huge influence on your swing. And again, the same thing goes for you "natural" putting stroke but there are even more exceptions. I tend to think most follow the influence of their DNA when they start out, but scar tissue from missing putts can have an over riding affect. I think Will Zalatoris is a good example of someone with a quick swing that had troubles with his fast twitch muscles so his natural DNA let him down and putting smoother and slower didn't work either. He found an anchoring technique that is working for him much better. 

... Another great example is Lexi Thompson because she has so much scar tissue and bad memories she is almost clueless with her tempo. She is such a feel player with her full swing and became 100% mechanical with her putting. She actually looks uncomfortable addressing putts. This last year she has gotten a little better but if I were her putting teacher I would have her run sprints, and then stroke some putt without thinking or resting. I think she might find her natural tempo and her putting would improve, at least to some extent. But she is the perfect example of someone that is focusing on the result and not the process OR after struggling in Majors she is so locked into a process she loses sight of the result. 

... This is a fun little test I used to have students do. I'd fabricate a lag putt and place the ball 2 feet from the hole. Then have them walk 20 feet, lean over on one foot and casually tap it in without taking any time or thinking. It was always interesting to see what kind of tempo the used for that tap in. Some leaned in and tapped quickly with a short stroke while some leaned in slower and took a smooth longer tap in stroke. It really helps identify your natural tempo. 

... But as Sheryl Crow reminds us in her song that is clearly about Putting:

4 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

People who walk fast, talk fast, etc. almost always swing fast (and play golf fast and have little patience with slow play and slow players)!  I'm a perfect example of that, as the description fits me to a tee (pun intended).

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

1 hour ago, chisag said:

I think it is much easier to improve your line than improve your speed.

Putting is the easiest endeavor in sports. Obviously the mental pressure of actually holing the putt, successfully reading the line and speed as well as executing a repeatable stroke are what makes it maddeningly difficult at times.

But just standing there and stroking a 6 foot putt on a practice green when it doesn't count is insanely easier than shooting a free throw, or serving in tennis, or hitting a pitch or even just a full golf swing.

You can accomplish hitting a putt successfully soooooo many different ways. Wristy stroke, shoulder rock, short hitting motion or long flowing stroke, closed/open stance and of course gate or SBST path. Conventional, lead hand low, claw, elbow lock and long putter split grip. Golfers make all of those and more techniques work for them. 

IMO, if I was standing in one spot it is probably just as easy to roll the ball with the same speed as it is with the same line.  Players use gate drills to hone in their ability to start the ball on a predicted line. The difficulty is matching that line and the correct speed which is really read.    

I could say bowling is just as easy or easier than putting....  You face the target and can simply move your hand/arm back and then forward and roll the ball straight where aimed.   HMMM,  why can't I roll a perfect game 🙂

Doesn't the fact that you can putt so many different ways actually make it more difficult?  You mention free throws, serving, and hitting a pitch but from what I recall when learning those skills there was a single basic technique taught.  Those ways to hit putts all have different advantages and drawbacks and require me to do specific actions and potentially require timing to make them work.  

At the end of the day, to improve putting you need to work on stroke skills, aiming skills, touch skills, and reading skills.  If I can't do all of them well,  I am going to have issues making putts. 

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Pro golfers or instructors?    Read some things that indicate that while we have a natural rhythm but we  vary our tempo  based on the situation.  For example,  you have a normally slow tempo, but are walking in NYC at rush hour,  your tempo will increase to match what is occurring in the environment.  

Instructors. Tempo and rhythm get confused all the time. 

here is an article from Jim Flick

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jim-flick-rhythm

https://www.golfspan.com/tips-guides/tempo-in-golf-swing

https://golf.com/instruction/golf-tempo-is-it-real-thing-importance/?amp=1

2. Tempo isn’t the *only* thing that matters

Luke Kerr-Dineen (2.2 handicap): I do think that recreational golfers vastly over-rate the importance of tempo, and see it as a kind of mythical cure-all when, in actuality, there’s an underlying technical issue causing their bad shots. When it does come to tempo, there’s no such thing as good tempo or bad tempo, at least in my mind, because the tempo of everybody’s swing is different. What matters is that you keep it consistent from shot to shot. That’s what will help you repeat the sequence of your swing, which is what will improve your timing.

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

56 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Absolutely. cnosil mentioned Nick Price and he and Fred Couples are great examples. Watch them walking down a fairway and then look at their swings. But of course there are always exceptions so I would say DNA does not determine but it does have a huge influence on your swing. And again, the same thing goes for you "natural" putting stroke but there are even more exceptions. I tend to think most follow the influence of their DNA when they start out, but scar tissue from missing putts can have an over riding affect. I think Will Zalatoris is a good example of someone with a quick swing that had troubles with his fast twitch muscles so his natural DNA let him down and putting smoother and slower didn't work either. He found an anchoring technique that is working for him much better. 

... Another great example is Lexi Thompson because she has so much scar tissue and bad memories she is almost clueless with her tempo. She is such a feel player with her full swing and became 100% mechanical with her putting. She actually looks uncomfortable addressing putts. This last year she has gotten a little better but if I were her putting teacher I would have her run sprints, and then stroke some putt without thinking or resting. I think she might find her natural tempo and her putting would improve, at least to some extent. But she is the perfect example of someone that is focusing on the result and not the process OR after struggling in Majors she is so locked into a process she loses sight of the result. 

... This is a fun little test I used to have students do. I'd fabricate a lag putt and place the ball 2 feet from the hole. Then have them walk 20 feet, lean over on one foot and casually tap it in without taking any time or thinking. It was always interesting to see what kind of tempo the used for that tap in. Some leaned in and tapped quickly with a short stroke while some leaned in slower and took a smooth longer tap in stroke. It really helps identify your natural tempo. 

This is really interesting for me.  I find in stroke play tournaments, I miss a few putts that are short with a stabbing stroke instead of my normal smooth stroke.  These are normally not tough putts. Totally nerves and bad scar tissue.  Watching other guys in my group missing putts doesn’t get me feeling any better too.  I should just try your ideas this year.  Thank you for the suggestions….

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

You mention free throws, serving, and hitting a pitch but from what I recall when learning those skills there was a single basic technique taught. 

I sucked at tennis and baseball but I actually was a decent free throw shooter despite lacking enough other skills to actually be on the basketball team; won the school intramural FT contest twice. There is a basic technique that many people use, but not all (most famously the Rick Barry underhanded method, which he was deadly at) but there is a huge variation in preshot routines and stances. I was taught to put my left toe behind the nail in the middle of the foul stripe, but many people take other stances. And I would dribble three times, then focus on the front rim, but some twirl the ball or even seemingly just grab it and shoot it; saw that approach last week in a women's college game

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

2 hours ago, chisag said:

Great post

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

hmm, that would be interesting, and do you slow down when you live in Nelson BC? I would think that if it was out of your natural rhythm you would be exhuasted by the end of the day or week.

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

Had a really good range session today. I worked with the Prosendr hitting pitch shots and half swing 8 irons. I hit about 40 balls with my 4 iron, really trying to expose my swing. This really helped, at first I was coming way over the top trying to focus on compressing it. Then went back to getting my weight pressure correct, and started hitting the ball high and straight. I did this to expose my swing, but also to check and see if I need a more forgiving option. After today, I think I can make it work, but also thinking I may want a hybrid or a more forgiving iron. I then moved to putting. This is my first pressure practice session since I’ve gotten the midlock. I set tees at 12,14,16,18,20’ with an alignment rod 3 feet past the hole, and points are 3 for a make, 1 for in between hole and rod, and -1 for short or past the rod. I played to 20 points. Then I setup at 3’ and made 20 in a row. I really like the midlock, I really got into a groove at 3’ that I usually didn’t get with a traditional putter. 

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

17 minutes ago, cnosil said:

IMO, if I was standing in one spot it is probably just as easy to roll the ball with the same speed as it is with the same line.  Players use gate drills to hone in their ability to start the ball on a predicted line. The difficulty is matching that line and the correct speed which is really read.    

I could say bowling is just as easy or easier than putting....  You face the target and can simply move your hand/arm back and then forward and roll the ball straight where aimed.   HMMM,  why can't I roll a perfect game 🙂

Doesn't the fact that you can putt so many different ways actually make it more difficult?  You mention free throws, serving, and hitting a pitch but from what I recall when learning those skills there was a single basic technique taught.  Those ways to hit putts all have different advantages and drawbacks and require me to do specific actions and potentially require timing to make them work.  

At the end of the day, to improve putting you need to work on stroke skills, aiming skills, touch skills, and reading skills.  If I can't do all of them well,  I am going to have issues making putts. 

... Clearly you have never bowled, shot a free throw, served a tennis ball or actually hit a pitch. A bowling ball is heavy and you take steps while attempting to swing the ball back and release it near the wooden lanes. We have all seen balls tossed in the air and heard them land 40 lanes away and rattling in the bunker. Without getting into the other much more demanding endeavors than putting I'll simply say this. Take a 12 yr old reasonably coordinated young man and ask him to do any of the above for the very first time. Putting will be infinitely the easiest to accomplish. 

... And I either didn't describe it correctly or you misunderstood. 🤔  Yes, I believe putting is easy. Insanely easy. But actually making putts is much more difficult because you have to marry speed, line and read as well as having a repeatable stroke. 

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Instructors. Tempo and rhythm get confused all the time. 

here is an article from Jim Flick

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jim-flick-rhythm

https://www.golfspan.com/tips-guides/tempo-in-golf-swing

https://golf.com/instruction/golf-tempo-is-it-real-thing-importance/?amp=1

2. Tempo isn’t the *only* thing that matters

Luke Kerr-Dineen (2.2 handicap): I do think that recreational golfers vastly over-rate the importance of tempo, and see it as a kind of mythical cure-all when, in actuality, there’s an underlying technical issue causing their bad shots. When it does come to tempo, there’s no such thing as good tempo or bad tempo, at least in my mind, because the tempo of everybody’s swing is different. What matters is that you keep it consistent from shot to shot. That’s what will help you repeat the sequence of your swing, which is what will improve your timing.

my takeaway from the 3 examples given above is that 2 mention Fred Couples and Ernie Els, probably good role models, a couple of more I like are George Knudson and Gene Littler.

sounds like the jury is still out in regards to "walk fast, swing fast" "walk slow, swing slow" but it brings out food for thought...

6 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

my takeaway from the 3 examples given above is that 2 mention Fred Couples and Ernie Els, probably good role models, a couple of more I like are George Knudson and Gene Littler.

sounds like the jury is still out in regards to "walk fast, swing fast" "walk slow, swing slow" but it brings out food for thought...

My job demands quick thinking, fast pace, faster action, my golfing does not.

I've already given details on my putting processes, but for driving and fairway play, I take an appropriate amount of time. I can't just walk up and Happy Gilmore the ball.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Going to the range today and working on wedge play. Want to dial in what I need for gapping and lie angle with the tours wedges.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Was up at 0330, hit the putting mat with the putter for 50 swipes. It feels weird compared to the AI-ONE.  End result I was able to sink 40/50 from 8 feet after some adjustments.