jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

Made a lot of great progress at the range today. My swing is finally to the point where I can work on fixing a huge problem - my inside takeaway. Earlier this season I fought a couple of more pressing issues, mostly poor pressure shifting and head movement. On the range earlier this week I started blocking a ton of balls, which was caused by the inside takeaway.

After a really poor range season last night, I watched a couple Eric Cogorno videos on YouTube regarding wrist angle and takeaway and a few things really resonated with me. Today at the range I really focused on getting the club in the right position at P2 position.

First, screen shots of my swing earlier this week with a six iron:

inside.png.e821849c98007f840d0ff7dcf240c0d0.png

Today with a seven iron:

better.png.01cc9e1a0c871dc673b71e45582fb15a.png

The clubhead position at P2 is much improved. I saw a lot of better shots today and no blocks whatsoever, so that's great progress.

Next thing to work on it getting the shaft a little more vertical in the backswing. At P3 my hands are still a little inside of my chest, and my forearm has rotated a little too inside. I think fixing that will add some more clubhead speed and help eliminate some early extension I have.

• Like 3

Rain! Rain! Rain! We haven’t had rain in May in years. Our rain usually ends in March and doesn’t return until October so this is really throwing me out of whack.

Well I got my Hogan Apex irons bent 2* upright and was able to get to the range this morning and give them a swing. Great feeling clubs with the R300 shafts. Started pouring after about 30 minutes so went home and decided that the green ring ferrules had to go.

Hogan’s need a proper red ring ferrule so I pulled the heads, spine aligned the shafts and reassembled. Will regrip them tomorrow and they will be ready for when this unseasonable rain passes.

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 7

No pics today but I did work on getting my distances dialed in for my 7-9 irons. I seem to have picked up about 10 yards per. I had been working on my swing. My swing trainer has really worked!

Who knew sitting watching my daughters dance could help my game! If I hadn’t saw it on Instagram in sale I would’ve passed on it! It has also helped with my overall confidence again.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

6 hours ago, josmi15 said:

No pics today but I did work on getting my distances dialed in for my 7-9 irons. I seem to have picked up about 10 yards per. I had been working on my swing. My swing trainer has really worked!

Who knew sitting watching my daughters dance could help my game! If I hadn’t saw it on Instagram in sale I would’ve passed on it! It has also helped with my overall confidence again.

has the temperature increased lately?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

Went out and played Exec 9 last night, first 9 holes in almost 6 months since my shoulder surgery!
Played from forward or white tees, nothing stronger than an 8i and 3/4 swing. SWMBO drove the cart to make sure I didn’t overdo it (she had leg procedure Friday).
I didn’t light it up but didn’t stink either, chipping was disappointing, putting was pretty good.
Iced the shoulder when we got home and it feels OK this morning emoji106.png
Try again tonight, Exec is in back of my home so easy to play when we want.

That's awesome brother!  I'm so happy you are climbing back in the saddle and geez, you have a golf course in your backyard?!   👀  That's cooler than a bucket full of iced down prune juice 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had another lesson a few days ago; he had me changing: stance (tilted back a bit), takeaway (tracing further back down the target line), wrist position (feeling of extending out during backswing), transition (feeling of "dropping" the clubhead) and less foot movement, less "active" legs on the downswing. And yes - we're always working on the grip, too.

So only one or two small things to work on.... 😆

Clearly I've put a lotta trust in my pro ... And I guess I have to be flattered he thinks I have the ability to make all those changes! But he's doing something right as I seem to be slowly improving over time......

• Like 2

has the temperature increased lately?

Well we were 85 yesterday, we’re back to the 60’s and thunderstorms!

21 hours ago, edingc said:

Made a lot of great progress at the range today. My swing is finally to the point where I can work on fixing a huge problem - my inside takeaway. Earlier this season I fought a couple of more pressing issues, mostly poor pressure shifting and head movement. On the range earlier this week I started blocking a ton of balls, which was caused by the inside takeaway.

After a really poor range season last night, I watched a couple Eric Cogorno videos on YouTube regarding wrist angle and takeaway and a few things really resonated with me. Today at the range I really focused on getting the club in the right position at P2 position.

First, screen shots of my swing earlier this week with a six iron:

inside.png.e821849c98007f840d0ff7dcf240c0d0.png

Today with a seven iron:

better.png.01cc9e1a0c871dc673b71e45582fb15a.png

The clubhead position at P2 is much improved. I saw a lot of better shots today and no blocks whatsoever, so that's great progress.

Next thing to work on it getting the shaft a little more vertical in the backswing. At P3 my hands are still a little inside of my chest, and my forearm has rotated a little too inside. I think fixing that will add some more clubhead speed and help eliminate some early extension I have.

I Love how much extension you get on your backswing.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bens197 said:

I Love how much extension you get on your backswing.  

Thanks! It's been a long road to get to where I'm at now, so it's nice to hear that from a low-capper such as yourself.

Big struggle for me now is to get this new backswing be the "default," i.e. engrain some new muscle memory. I have for so long come way too inside (some bad advice years ago about swinging to right field). P3 position is going to be important for me because as of right now my first downswing move is a slight steepening of the shaft. If I can get it a little steeper on the backswing, I think it will naturally shallow better.

• Like 1

Thanks! It's been a long road to get to where I'm at now, so it's nice to hear that from a low-capper such as yourself.

Big struggle for me now is to get this new backswing be the "default," i.e. engrain some new muscle memory. I have for so long come way too inside (some bad advice years ago about swinging to right field). P3 position is going to be important for me because as of right now my first downswing move is a slight steepening of the shaft. If I can get it a little steeper on the backswing I think it will naturally shallow better.

There are golfers who are all arms who will look as if they’re making a profound turn. In reality it’s a deceptive move as they’re just lifting up their arms.

This looks natural from the sequence you’ve shared. It looks balanced and it looks like you’re using your big muscle groups.

Good luck keep up the good work!!

• Like 1

I've really been struggling with my driving. I changed my iron setup over the Winter to get more consistency I  moved from having a left hand dominated swing to more neutral. With my driving the consistency and distance went, with the bad one being a high fade. I went back to my old setup last week for my driver with left side dominating, wider stance and swing. This seems to have sorted it, distance is back need to work a little on setup. One bad drive on Saturday was a nice draw, double cross started on the left hand side of the fairway and clattered in to the trees over the course boundary 30 yds left.  Doh!

• Like 2

I’m going to call last night practice.
SWMBO & I played local Exec. SWMBO hasn’t played in 2 years and I’m rehabbing the shoulder so didn’t expect much.
SWMBO has 2 pars 4 bogeys after 6 holes I was impressed. She played with me from whites and hit it well & putted great. We stopped after 6 as we ran into a log jam of couples on par 4 7th and that tee box is only a couple hundred yards from our home so we bailed.
Shoulder feels great this morning and SWMBO is happy, happy

• Like 5

On 5/19/2019 at 4:26 AM, Rickp said:

Went out and played Exec 9 last night, first 9 holes in almost 6 months since my shoulder surgery!
Played from forward or white tees, nothing stronger than an 8i and 3/4 swing. SWMBO drove the cart to make sure I didn’t overdo it (she had leg procedure Friday).
I didn’t light it up but didn’t stink either, chipping was disappointing, putting was pretty good.
Iced the shoulder when we got home and it feels OK this morning emoji106.png
Try again tonight, Exec is in back of my home so easy to play when we want.

Glad you are able to finally trek out. Sore today?

• Like 1

Glad you are able to finally trek out. Sore today?

Nope, no pain at all. After playing a few holes Saturday & Sunday evening, skipping tonight (Monday) too hot 94’.
Thanks for asking
  • Like 3

Just now, Rickp said:

Nope, no pain at all. After playing a few holes Saturday & Sunday evening, skipping tonight (Monday) too hot 94’.
Thanks for asking emoji16.png

Glad to hear that Bud! Holy Smokes! 94..?!! Way too early for that nonsense!

• Like 2

The weather was just gorgeous today so I went to hit a bucket at lunch. After 5 PWs that were straight as an arrow to warm up, I proceeded to puke my way through the majority of the bucket. It was like I had never hit a ball before. Worm burners, giant hooks, you name it. I took a few breaks to just relax and try hitting a few short wedges, but nope. Everything I hit was garbage so I left a good 10-12 balls in the stall and walked away. 

I know it was just a one-off, it usually happens a couple of times a year to me early in the season before everything comes right back with the next bucket, but man is it just a miserable feeling. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

I was planning on a day just to work on accuracy for the wedges, but the strong winds today shifted the lesson plan.

The day was favorable to work on a real problematic situation, given my normal results.  The wind was blowing strong right to left, as I encountered it.  When combined with the strong draw/pull I normally have, it was a bit of a challenge.

The key goal for me, with my irons and hybrids, was to lessen the loft, so that the ball would not end up too wildly pushed off line.

I remember someone, Greg Norman, if my fading memory serves me today, said something along the lines of "in a breeze, swing with ease".  So I backed off about 10 so so percent on my speed (ball speed).  This was done with a combination of not trying to use my usual power fully and even using a 3/4 swing with some clubs.

Next I choked up a bit on the clubs and went down a club to try to eliminate as much spin as possible.  Also, I was putting the ball a little bit back in my stance. 

For shots off the tee, I used my GX-7 and gave the driver the day off.  I lowered the tee a tad. Even took a few off the tee with my 7i/w and 4h. Results were more than ok in therms of fighting the wind, but none left me saying "do this as your first option".

Finally, I adjusted my target somewhat to allow for the wind. 

All in all, I lost 25% or so of my normal loft.  Yes, I lost yardage, but those 15-20 mph wind gusts did less damage in terms of accuracy. My ball ended up as "straight" as I could make it. And even though more than a few strikes ended up less than ideal, the balls mostly ended up in my imaginary fairway.

Ended up a bit more confident on how to deal with the conditions of today.

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 2

Called both local ranges.... Both STILL closed due to wetness! Good gracious! I haven’t had a chance to touch a club in a MONTH!!!!! This is so ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Sad 3

After a bad round on Saturday with healy drives, ballooned push fade drives, thinned irons and 1 'unmentionable', I came across some recent drills Claude Harmon posted re driver and irons, describing my issues perfectly.

The drills are outstanding on the range, and simple to execute, really enjoyed an hour hitting crisp irons with draw and solid drives. Cant use it on the course (well you actually could but might look a bit silly) but hoping it will bed into my swing with practice.

Heres a link if anyone is interested...........

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/features/instruction-features/january/april/driving-tips-with-claude-harmon/#drills 

• Like 3