jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

Easy Rick! This is a family forum...

Sorry.....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I got my net and turf out and hit some balls. Trying to get this right elbow in the right spot on the downswing, and also trying to get the left wrist to rotate so my knuckles go down into impact. Still struggling....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Practiced some chipping with LW, SW, and 8 iron, then spent a few moments striking full 9 irons and 6 irons.  Been having an issue of hitting short irons hard right and working thru ensuring that the path is more in to out and less over the top/out to in.  With longer irons, I haven't been aggressively rotating forearms through impact and hitting fades...trying to turn them over a bit better, as well as working on better path.

• Like 3

Walked a bunch of holes at my home course, trying to work out a swing fault. I was hitting it so good for the last several weeks, and then after carding a 32 on the front a few days ago, I started spraying shots. Couldn’t stop. Got progressively worse. Lurching with the shoulders, two way miss, no accuracy or confidence. I start doing well, get too confident, start swinging hard, and get all out of sync. Tough to work out, but I made some progress with some old drills and swing keys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PMookie said:

I got my net and turf out and hit some balls. Trying to get this right elbow in the right spot on the downswing, and also trying to get the left wrist to rotate so my knuckles go down into impact. Still struggling....

How do you feel about practicing into a net and not having the feedback of watching the ball flight? I've been doing some of that lately but in the back of my mind I'm always a little unsure that my practice is actually working until I get the the course, cross my fingers and hope I didn't ingrain bad habits

• Like 1

Spent an hour just working on 3wood, and my hybrids. My mid irons and wedges haven’t been letting me down. I hit my 2H 209 yards in the course the other day and was easily on green on a long par 5 in regulation.

I drained the birdie putt for my first ever birdie on a par 5.

So practice paid off!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

How do you feel about practicing into a net and not having the feedback of watching the ball flight? I've been doing some of that lately but in the back of my mind I'm always a little unsure that my practice is actually working until I get the the course, cross my fingers and hope I didn't ingrain bad habits

A net can help you precisely because you’re NOT distracted by ball flight. Too many people are told to make a swing change, they give it a few attempts, but because the ball doesn’t immediately start going where they want, they give up on the swing change and go back to the old way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bluesmandan76 said:

A net can help you precisely because you’re NOT distracted by ball flight. Too many people are told to make a swing change, they give it a few attempts, but because the ball doesn’t immediately start going where they want, they give up on the swing change and go back to the old way.

Huh, never thought about it that way. I can see how that could work

I went to the range today and got two large buckets. The first bucket was completely devoted to hitting half shots off a mat to get my knuckles down at impact. The second bucket I hit a variety of irons and driver working on the full swing of getting the right elbow in position, and knuckles down. Still struggling. Man, this is going to take awhile!!!!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ncwoz said:

How do you feel about practicing into a net and not having the feedback of watching the ball flight?

7 hours ago, bluesmandan76 said:

A net can help you precisely because you’re NOT distracted by ball flight. 

IMO you NEED to see the ball flight. Yes you can 'feel' a good strike but was it a high draw, low fade etc

A net is good for swinging and warming up. Practicing a swing change or grooving in a swing you like, needs verification of the flight.

I'm going thru a swing change after years of fading, a draw suits my eye and the new swing creates a draw, if I don't see it hitting into a net, did it work?

• Like 1

Hit 2 buckets on the range jumping around the bag after warming up with my PW. Baby fade was out today but it was OK. I never know when it’s going to show up with my irons. I pulled the hybrid out of hibernation and it went ok. Better than I expected to be honest. But I wouldn’t be comfortable pulling it on the course yet.

Spent an hour at the short game area working out different distances and height with my wedges chipping and pitching.

• Like 1

It is what it is. The things I’m working on don’t need ball flight: getting my knuckles down at impact, and getting my right elbow in the proper position on the downswing. Those two things are independent of seeing a ball in the air, they just need repetition.

• Like 1

IMO you NEED to see the ball flight. Yes you can 'feel' a good strike but was it a high draw, low fade etc
A net is good for swinging and warming up. Practicing a swing change or grooving in a swing you like, needs verification of the flight.

I'm going thru a swing change after years of fading, a draw suits my eye and the new swing creates a draw, if I don't see it hitting into a net, did it work?

All depends on what one is working on. Flight isn’t needed all the time. Heck, Mike Bender gave me four drills without hitting a ball.......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PMookie said:

All depends on what one is working on. Flight isn’t needed all the time. Heck, Mike Bender gave me four drills without hitting a ball.......

yes my own guy gave me a non flight drill, in fact it was non flight and non club, just a turning drill.

I used a turning drill a few winters ago without hitting a ball with very good results, so I get what you are saying.

• Like 1

It depends on the type of swing change being made, and how different/awkward the feel of the change is. A minor tweak going for altered ball flight is one thing, just hit balls on the range for that. But if someone is working on a change or combination of changes that feel very strange, then one might at first struggle with just making contact with the ball. The more difficult the change, the more they will need a net. Just focus on performing the new thing, and try to make contact. After you start to get it, and the new change doesn’t feel so awkward, and you’re making decent contact, then proceed to full shots where you can see the ball flight. Might be hundreds of balls into a net before the change is ready for the range. Take it to the range while it still feels awkward and contact is inconsistent (can’t hit the sweet spot) and I almost guarantee the person will abandon the change, no matter how much they need it.

• Like 2

yes my own guy gave me a non flight drill, in fact it was non flight and non club, just a turning drill.
I used a turning drill a few winters ago without hitting a ball with very good results, so I get what you are saying.

Here’s a pic from a video of one thing I’m working on. You can see just a wall, no balls, just a feedback station. Seeing ball flight would be necessary later, once I have this down, but this shows that a net is GREAT for some drills, and is a great tool.
IMG_9384.jpg

Hit another small bucket at lunch. Irons and wedges were great. Driver and HWood, not so much. Hybrid was beyond awful. I'm going to stick with it, though. 

My original plan was to hit a par 3 course early this morning but my schedule got the best of me. I'm at the point where I need to be on the course more than the range if I truly want to get better. 

• Like 2

Today I am heading to Boyne Mountain. They have a sweet short game area, and endless range balls.

Plan on spending a good portion of the day there. Alternating between long game, short game, and putting.

And maybe.... just maybe if the pro has an opening I am going to get a check up/lesson.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Today I am heading to Boyne Mountain. They have a sweet short game area, and endless range balls.

Plan on spending a good portion of the day there. Alternating between long game, short game, and putting.

And maybe.... just maybe if the pro has an opening I am going to get a check up/lesson.

Forgot sunblock... ouch.

Good news I practiced the garbage right out of me.

Was inspired by Gary Woodlands Swing. Not nearly as efficient, but it works for me. Feels like there is not wrist set. But I was hitting little butter cuts all day long. Beautiful.
  • Like 3

Tale of two halves of a range bucket. Started out with a lot of good 7 irons like last Friday where I was just perfectly crisp with a ton of shots. Didn't have a particularly great iron day yesterday at the course, so I was feeling good today to get started like that. Even pumped a few out to 165+ carry/91 MPH swing speed according to my SC200.

Switched to my driver and got all out of sorts. Hit a handful of really good drives (including my first 260+ carry and 108 MPH on the SC200), then proceeded to heel everything for quite a few balls.

Switched back to my 7 iron and just forgot how to swing again. Got a few better ones in toward the end, but not nearly the success from the first set of swings.

I'm really trying hard not to over analyze everything and relax. It's not my strong point at the moment, though. I know I'm swaying onto my back heel with the driver and my weight gets stuck there. And then it carries over to my irons when I'm not careful.

Oh well. There's always another range bucket...

• Like 2