Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Course Strategy

revkev

While you may not gain a lot of strokes on the field you can quickly lose strokes to the field. Iron play is what sets you up for birdies and gaining strokes. Have to hit greens or have a deadly short game to score

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually I'm an anti putter guy - not anti but I have become convinced that putting is the most over rated facet of the game because there aren't many strokes to be gained on the field there.

Not in Tiger's case though. It remains the hidden reality that his putting went first - before Sean, before the 5 iron through the windshield or anything else he started missing a few putts and from there it all started to unravel.

It was that way for Snead, Arnie and Watson, too. All three kept their long game and even had the ability to win on tour with it into their 50's. But they lost the ability to putt in the big tournaments in their mid 30's and that was that.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I agree about putter stats too.

I like what Broadie says about his theory but it seems to work or favor better player. His theory probably would not work well with high handicappers.

Furthermore, both Broadie and Pelz agree on each other theories. Long game lower the scores and short game offer quick improvement to golfers' game. He's right about many things and on a few strategies align with my secret sauce of course management( I wanna sue him for publishing it:)).

At the end of the day, if I had his book and went on my 11 year hiatus, I'd come back with wealth of knowledge and stats but his finding and the book is definitely not a good fit to my game. May be he can play with all of the stats and numbers in his head during the round, same thing would put an end to mine.

When I'm on the course I only listen to Harvey Pennick and Rotella.

Btw, thanks for the topic, because of you I finally finished the book. Went 0-67% in one shot and left the book til yesterday.

... I had a good example of Brodie's book today on a par 5. After reading it, I try to advance the ball as far as possible on par 5's unless there is imminent danger. Today playing a shortish par 5 that can't be reached into the wind and I have been advancing the ball near this green with mixed results. If the pin is front or even middle of this green that slopes front to back, it is easy to land it just on and still have it roll to the other side or even just off the green. But laying back to 70 yards or more I can hit an aggressive 60* wedge that spins and stops, especially into the wind. From 40 yards or closer I have to hit it too easy to generate enough spin to stop the ball. I hit a 3/4 aggressive 60* today that hit just short of the flag, hopped and stopped for a 3 foot birdie. Last time I played the hole with the pin up front I came to within 10 yards of the green and even a gentle flop shot rolled to the back of the green.

... Now I always look ahead and see if the flag is blue, then I can hit it as close as possible and risk reaching the green in 2 or coming up short in the rough that guards the front of green. But if the pin is white or red, I calculate a 2nd shot that leaves me 70 yds in. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Archived