Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Tips for Becoming More Consistent

Hey guys,

I really struggle with consistency especially when out on the course. While hitting in the range I am a lot better and really have no or very few shanks. Then when I get out on the golf course it is a completely different story. 

When I hit good shots, they are really good and when I hit bad shots they are really bad, what I am looking for is to obviously hit the good shots more often, but more importantly completely eliminate the awful shanks that really kill my score and get the remaining bad shots to be closer to my good ones. 

Here is what I have been thinking so far. I have been working on my set up, completing the same pre-shot routine. This has helped and I do notice that when I hit a shank I didn't have a good set up/pre-shot routine a lot of the time. Next, is how I am practicing at the range. Rather than just getting a bucket and hitting the same club a million times in a row aiming at nothing I am really trying to mentally put myself on the course. Changing aim points, clubs, and shot shapes based on my imaginary course. It's harder to say if this has helped and since I only started practicing this way in the past couple weeks I am not sure it has had time to improve my game. 

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

WITB?  Ping traverse bag

Driver: TaylorMade M2, 10*, 

Fairway woods: TaylorMade Aeroburner

Driving Iron: Srixon U65 2 iron, 18*, 

Irons: Wilson Staff C200 4-PW,

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter: Odyssey Versa blade putter

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I think your last paragraph is on point. You need to put pressure on you practice sessions, it isn't about just hitting balls. Understand the purpose and goals for the practice session. Ranges make thinks easy because they are so wide open. Move to the edges and make sure you narrow the range. play the holes on your course with each shot based on the results of the prior shot.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

same situation I had. You are talking about 2 completely different animals. Practice involves no pressure. I guarantee you are not paying attention to the bad shots because there is no consequence. On the course,the score is the consequence.

and don't fret. This is the main difference between us mere mortals and the pros. They hit it consistently. One thing I do is while I am on the golf course,I just remind myself that I have done this on the driving range. No problem. Piece of cake.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

I would guess that on the course you have different thoughts before a shank and a good shot.

My advice is to isolate what happens on the good shots and try to focus on that every time. This should slowly help you improve your consistency.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Do you do any sort of warm-up before you play? Anytime you can hit the range or short game area prior to a round will be beneficial. At the very least you can get an idea of which swing followed you to the course and play for your miss. Aside from that, applying more pressure during practice sessions or finding a way to remove a bit of pressure during your rounds will help. Play each shot and don't think about score too much.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

On the range it's not about how many balls you hit. Quality over quantity. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I try to imagine before I hit into our tiny range green there is Water at a particular spot whether in front left behind. Give myself

Something to think about Instead of hitting mindless balls one after another.

Do you do any sort of warm-up before you play? Anytime you can hit the range or short game area prior to a round will be beneficial. At the very least you can get an idea of which swing followed you to the course and play for your miss. Aside from that, applying more pressure during practice sessions or finding a way to remove a bit of pressure during your rounds will help. Play each shot and don't think about score too much.

I like to, unfortunately the course in playing doesn't have a range for warm up. I have just gotten home from an internship in a different city and was play at a course that did have a range and I noticed if I warmed up well (hit a small bucket, chipped for 10 minutes and putted for ten minutes) I would easily score 4-5 strokes better. I'm looking at being a member of a different course that offers green fees and practice balls as part of a membership because a round plus a bucket a few time a week adds up quickly!

WITB?  Ping traverse bag

I like to, unfortunately the course in playing doesn't have a range for warm up. I have just gotten home from an internship in a different city and was play at a course that did have a range and I noticed if I warmed up well (hit a small bucket, chipped for 10 minutes and putted for ten minutes) I would easily score 4-5 strokes better. I'm looking at being a member of a different course that offers green fees and practice balls as part of a membership because a round plus a bucket a few time a week adds up quickly!

A membership to a course with practice facilities will certainly help.  As others have suggested, when hitting on the range, narrow the focus.  When you said you hit good ones, were they good because they went straight or have the shot shape you were looking for, or did the ball go exactly where you were aimed?  The range is wide open; the course is not.  When hitting on the range, pick a specific target and what you feel would not be a good shot at that target.  Focus on getting those balls into that area of the range.  Play different shots, but always keep the ball within your designated target area.  When you get them all in that area, then you need to narrow the area further.  Even though it seems like you hit a good shot, if it's not in that area, its not a good shot.

BTW, what course in ABQ are considering?  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

A membership to a course with practice facilities will certainly help. As others have suggested, when hitting on the range, narrow the focus. When you said you hit good ones, were they good because they went straight or have the shot shape you were looking for, or did the ball go exactly where you were aimed? The range is wide open; the course is not. When hitting on the range, pick a specific target and what you feel would not be a good shot at that target. Focus on getting those balls into that area of the range. Play different shots, but always keep the ball within your designated target area. When you get them all in that area, then you need to narrow the area further. Even though it seems like you hit a good shot, if it's not in that area, its not a good shot.

BTW, what course in ABQ are considering?

Right now I have been focused on making good contact, of the center of the face with a divot after the ball. Prior to me deciding to really start to practice I had very poor contact with my irons, low point was always before the ball and so it was basically a guessing game where my shots would end up. Now that I have become quite decent with that aspect I'm shift towards picking spots and certain shot shapes and that is defining a good shot. Just improving my contact has improved my dispersion alone but think actually thinking about what I want to hit will be the next step like you've said.

I was thinking about UNM South. It's a hard course but for 1800 you get unlimited green fees 7 days a week and unlimited range balls. I could also get one through the city but that only covers green fees and no range balls. The city pass costs 1600. UNM North, where I'm currently playing has no range and still costs around 1500.

WITB?  Ping traverse bag

I do shank at least once every few rounds and I find that it is usually when I have worn out or tired and not focused at what's at hand. I wish my range had grasp to hit off as mats tending to be very forgiving versus hitting off of grass.

#PowerToThePlayer

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Right now I have been focused on making good contact, of the center of the face with a divot after the ball. Prior to me deciding to really start to practice I had very poor contact with my irons, low point was always before the ball and so it was basically a guessing game where my shots would end up. Now that I have become quite decent with that aspect I'm shift towards picking spots and certain shot shapes and that is defining a good shot. Just improving my contact has improved my dispersion alone but think actually thinking about what I want to hit will be the next step like you've said.

I was thinking about UNM South. It's a hard course but for 1800 you get unlimited green fees 7 days a week and unlimited range balls. I could also get one through the city but that only covers green fees and no range balls. The city pass costs 1600. UNM North, where I'm currently playing has no range and still costs around 1500.

Best of luck!  Sounds like you are on the right track.

UNM South is a good deal.  I like the course a lot.  I have a good friend that used to be a member there, and I played with hime a number of times on my business travel.  Several years ago he moved over to Sandia GC and loves it there, partially because he started dating one of the cart girls!!.  Also very nice, but pricey.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

That's a bummer. If not warming up your golf game, I still highly recommend warming up your body. Christian Henning has a decent pre-round warm up routine. Google his stuff and see if you can download a PDF (I think you should be able to find it for free). Anything you can do to make sure your body is ready to move will make a big difference. Also, any open space where you can place a target and chip to or something would work. The ball won't react like it would with a green, but all you need to do is get your mind and body focused on what you're about to do out on the course. A little target practice like this should help.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Lots of good advice here - the membership with the range sounds like the way to go.

If that course has a good teaching pro striking up a relationship with him and taking a few lessons may just be the best thing that ever happens to your game.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Address the ball with the toe of your club and use a 3/4 backswing. No shanks and more consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

What I have done in the past when I am inconsistent on the course is try to recreate the situation at the range in my imagination and then work to execute that shot.

The one problem with the range is that you are alway guaranteed a flat/perfect lie where the course is going to put you into situations with the ball below and above your feet, as well as different lengths of grass. The range doesn't alway allow you to deal with those situations. If you find a great practice facility that can allow you to practice a variety of lies that could help translate to more consistency on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I like to share this when I can.

I use it for stock drills, but as jlukes article suggests, randomize it.

I practice the technique for a bit, then I move to a downhill lie, uphill lie, upslope, downslope. And I especially like to practice in the wind and I make sure to practice a little wedge game when it is lightly raining to get a few for how they'll go in the floor.

How many fairways are perfectly flat?

Put yourself in your miss spot, and practice from there. For me, around the green my miss is right (deep rough) so I learned the best way to play from the thickets.

Anyways, some good tips, drills, and thoughts in the link below.

http://melbournegolfcoach.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/30-Golf-Practice-Drills_Peter-Knight.pdf

Time on the course.

Keep gaining experience which will start to build up your confidence.

And do keep up all that great "practice with a purpose"!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Best of luck!  Sounds like you are on the right track.

UNM South is a good deal.  I like the course a lot.  I have a good friend that used to be a member there, and I played with hime a number of times on my business travel.  Several years ago he moved over to Sandia GC and loves it there, partially because he started dating one of the cart girls!!.  Also very nice, but pricey.  

That's brilliant! I haven't looked into Sandia too much because of its location and I fear that if it is too far away for me to get to I won't use it as much as I would like. I have played there once before I think and it is an absolutely stunning course, one of the benefits of it not being directly in the middle of the city I guess!

WITB?  Ping traverse bag

Archived