Dlow206's Quest to Break into the 80s

10 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

There has been a lot of trial and error, but neutral right hand has helped a lot. Thumb directly on top of the grip would be considered a strong right hand.

ok thanks for the correction. Will stick with the neutral right hand to see how that helps. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34") Soon to be testing TAIII Impact #2 Putter

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

I've now recognized what happens in my swing when I am hitting my irons well:

• Backswing is quicker. Its not that quick compared to others, but much quicker than my slow backswing
  • My wrist cups a bit at the top, but the clubface is fairly neutral with the cupped wrist, not super open
  • When I feel that cupped wrist at the top that is my automatic signal to start the downswing
  • My wrist immediately goes from cupped to uncupped in transition

I think I have gotten into this whole notion about cupped wrist at the top being bad, but everytime i try to not cup, my swing gets worse and worse. Going to talk to my new instructor about it and see what he thinks this week. I think why it works well is that I go from cupped to uncupped in transition. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

2 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

ok thanks for the correction. Will stick with the neutral right hand to see how that helps. 

What is your ballflight currently like?

Updated 4/27/2021

Just now, dlow206 said:

What is your ballflight currently like?

I have a high pull draw when i feel like I strike the ball well. Mostly, I am battling fat/chunks and inconsistent contact off the tee.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34") Soon to be testing TAIII Impact #2 Putter

I too have a strong left and realized my right hand is weak with the thumb on top. 

Thumb directly on top of the grip would be considered a strong right hand.

I would recommend not using the thumb as a reference for strong/weak right hand grip. Using the V formed by the thumb and index finger is probably a better reference. For a right handed golfer the farther left the V points the weaker the right hand. Or if you are seeing the back of the hand it is weak and if you are seeing the palm of your right hand it is strong. If you really want to use thumb I would say weak Is on left side of grip, neutral is on top, and strong would be on right side.
  • Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

25 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I would recommend not using the thumb as a reference for strong/weak right hand grip. Using the V formed by the thumb and index finger is probably a better reference. For a right handed golfer the farther left the V points the weaker the right hand. Or if you are seeing the back of the hand it is weak and if you are seeing the palm of your right hand it is strong. If you really want to use thumb I would say weak Is on left side of grip, neutral is on top, and strong would be on right side.

I see what you mean. In the past, my strong right hand I was holding it where i saw the palm, but thumb directly on top of the grip.

Updated 4/27/2021

I had a life changing lesson today. It was my first lesson at my club with the head pro. He first asked me about some of the issues I am having, which is mainly missing right with every club. Straight right with short irons, push slice with driver. He watched my hit a few shots and that miss right with my 9 iron was what showed up for the day (which is good, it shows him what the problematic swing is). He then told me to pick a target out on the range, and then i hit about 5 more balls.

After that came the life changing conclusion. He said that my body is aimed way right of the target. He said that the balls that I am hitting right are basically go straight where my body is lined up. He then put an alignment stick down and when I looked at the alignment stick, i was like wow, that looks so far left of the target, but he said it is lined up towards the target and to trust it. After that, I started to hit my irons much more online towards the target.

There are still some things he mentioned that I could work on, mostly around neutralizing my path a bit. My path is a bit too far left, but he said my "good" left swing is still playable and I can play that swing if I want. He didn't push me towards trying to hit a draw, but had me focus on neutralizing my path a bit by trying to swing more down the target line. He said neutralizing my path a bit will reduce the size of my misses.

But overall, the main takeaway was where my body was aimed and he said focusing on that will improve things dramatically, which it did on the range. I feel good that the major thing to focus on is alignment, because in my mind, that is easier to change than making a swing change. Of course I still need to work on my swing, but aligning correctly will make golf much less difficult.

• Like 8

Updated 4/27/2021

Play today, first round after my lesson that I had recently. Was working on improving my alignment of my body based on the lesson. When I trusted the alignment, was hitting my irons well and online, small fade. When I didn't trust my alignment, hit the ball right, which has been my issue as of late. It will take some time before my brain can trust that my body is in fact aligned correctly, when it feels like it is aligned super left.

• Like 3

Updated 4/27/2021

Nice work. Alignment is so key. One of my playing partners today asked several times if he was aligned ok, I asked where he was aimed, and then told him you are too far right. Getting alignment right is half the battle. If you aim poor how are you supposed to hit your target. Keep up the good work! Let’s teach each other!

• Like 2

I also have this issue, when I am struggling with this I will stand behind the ball align the club to my target and then take my positioning from there. It is one of those things that is frustrating when you realize it given it takes no real skill to do it and can mess up a really well struck shot.

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS Review

:cobra-small: SZ Extreme 9° HZRDUS Smoke Green 60g 6.5 | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :bridgestone-small: Tour BX | Right Handed 

4 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

I also have this issue, when I am struggling with this I will stand behind the ball align the club to my target and then take my positioning from there. It is one of those things that is frustrating when you realize it given it takes no real skill to do it and can mess up a really well struck shot.

On all iron shots, I stand behind the ball and point the towards the line I want to hit the ball on and then keep the club like that and then line up. If i try to line up without that, i don't trust my sense of direction at all.

• Like 2

Updated 4/27/2021

What most are having issues with is referred to paralax effect.  There are several good videos on it on YouTube. But here is the shortest. 

https://www.pgadigitalgolfacademy.com/video/how-to-line-up-a-golf-shot-parallax-016872/

• Like 5

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

5 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

On all iron shots, I stand behind the ball and point the towards the line I want to hit the ball on and then keep the club like that and then line up. If i try to line up without that, i don't trust my sense of direction at all.

Yes exactly that, otherwise I can get way off

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS Review

:cobra-small: SZ Extreme 9° HZRDUS Smoke Green 60g 6.5 | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :bridgestone-small: Tour BX | Right Handed 

Alignment is one of the problems I deal with, too. I've been making use of alignment sticks recently and find when I'm lined up it feels like I'm aiming too far right. My big miss is a pull to the left with the irons and wedges.  My process now is to pick an intermediate target about a foot or two in front of the ball, aim to that, then imagine a parallel line to that to place my feet. It doesn't feel right, but I've got to learn to trust the process. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Alignment is one of the problems I deal with, too. I've been making use of alignment sticks recently and find when I'm lined up it feels like I'm aiming too far right. My big miss is a pull to the left with the irons and wedges.  My process now is to pick an intermediate target about a foot or two in front of the ball, aim to that, then imagine a parallel line to that to place my feet. It doesn't feel right, but I've got to learn to trust the process. 

Makes sense. I think even when i used alignment sticks and had my feet aligned, my shoulders were not aligned with my feet, does that make sense?

• Like 1

Updated 4/27/2021

5 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Makes sense. I think even when i used alignment sticks and had my feet aligned, my shoulders were not aligned with my feet, does that make sense?

It does, I think I've always had a problem with my shoulders aiming right of the target. It seems like I want to open up my upper body in order to help with the follow through. 

On 10/31/2020 at 1:14 PM, dlow206 said:

After that came the life changing conclusion. He said that my body is aimed way right of the target. He said that the balls that I am hitting right are basically go straight where my body is lined up. He then put an alignment stick down and when I looked at the alignment stick, i was like wow, that looks so far left of the target, but he said it is lined up towards the target and to trust it. After that, I started to hit my irons much more online towards the target.

I have the same issue, especially with the driver. What feels way left of target is actually on target or even still a bit right. I've really had to be more aware of this when setting up my shots. 

Sounds like a great lesson!

• Like 2

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 8.0 (Last Updated June 24, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Mavrik (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

19 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Try using the alignment stick on the heels instead of the toes. People splay their feet and it can throw off alignment. Also use an alignment stick across the hips and the shoulders they should be parallel 

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

A positive benefit of having the opportunity to review the new TSi 2 driver besides the obvious is that I am recording videos of my swing. The bad thing is the videos show that the things I was working on in lessons a long time back have gone away and I more or less have reverted to a steep, over the top swing. Going to evaluate whether I want to do in-person lessons or do online lessons.

I need to find whatever it was that Monte had me do during my in-person lesson with him, because it made a dramatic immediate impact that is obviously now gone. I remember what he had mentioned, but I just can't get the feel back without being in-person (and I don't live in the same state as Monte).

• Like 2

Updated 4/27/2021

I don't feel good about uploading the swing, but will do so, need something to hold myself accountable

Here's the bad iron swing. The turf maintenance folks probably hate me because my swing destroys the turf.

• Like 3

Updated 4/27/2021