Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Why do some many care about look of the sole or cavity?

surewin73

I am fascinated whenever new clubs is presented that everyone has comments on how the club's cavity or sole looks like.

I was wondering if anyone would share their thoughts for discussion.

My opinion is that is irrelevant. I only care of how the club looks at address. Yes, blades are sexy and so are come cavity back models. But, it there is a big or small cavity, plastic inserts or medallions that increase performance, isn't it irrelevant?

I only care about sole thickness is a different story, but if I can't see it protruding from the back of the club at address I am cool with it.

I am more worried about the head shape, finish and most importantly, the amount of offset.

I currently play Ping S56 irons and hear how people don't like the look of the cavity and insert. It looks like a blade to me. What I can't see won't hurt me. But only help me, in my opinion.

Same goes for drivers. For example, the new Taylor Made drivers are distracting to me. Not because they are white, but because of the stupid decals on the crown. Why were they placed there?

Looks forward to your thoughts.

---
Driver: Callaway XR Pro 9*, Fujikura Speeder, Stiff with 10 gram weight
Fairway: Callaway Big Bertha Epic 3W (15*), 7W (20*), Fujikura, Stiff
Irons: Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead XR Pro 5I - AW, KBS Tour 120 Steel Stiff, 2* flat, 1/2" short
Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 56/10, 60/8, KBS Hi-Rev Stiff
Putter: Scotty Cameron Bullseye Flange 33"
Bag: Callaway Stand Bag
Grips: Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
Ball: Titleist ProV1x
Shoes: New Balance
Rangefinder: Nikon Cool Shot

What I don't understand is why are your 4-pw blue dot and your wedges black dot. are they not flat and standard lie angles mixed? As far as your topic I guess to each their own, but unless stuff is sticking out of the back of the club nothing bothers me accept thickness of top line and offset. As far as the TM White drivers I just put the Superfast TP 2.0 and i don't even notice the decals or paint scheme on top. i'm too busy looking at the ball and the target line to even notice the Top of the driver. I have to say though I was surprised i would like the Superfast as I played the r510 DF Proto for many many years and switched to the Callaway FT 9 TA because of traditional shape. For some reason the triangular shape of the New TM in white doesn't look as obvious as the black in my opinion.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

To me, the graphics on the R11 and Superfast aid in making the head look smaller, which I like. You get the forgiveness of the larger head with the appearance of a smaller head. Black heads can't pull that off, but the white can.

As for what the clubs look like, I'm mainly about address and if they inspire confidence. That said, I like them to look good in the bag too.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Well obviously, some people are gonna want they're bag to look good, but I honestly couldn't care less about the cavity. If it looks good from address then I can play it. If i want to throw up when i look down at the club then i don't even consider buying the club.

"Never criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you have their shoes."

Certainly the look at address is more important than the look of the cavity, but there are lots of great performing clubs out there - why not play one that looks nice? That said, if Ugly Club clearly outperforms Pretty Club, Ugly Club is going in the bag.

Mostly, I think people comment on the cavity look because it's something to talk about and it's all they have to go on when they see spy pics.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I am fascinated whenever new clubs is presented that everyone has comments on how the club's cavity or sole looks like.

I was wondering if anyone would share their thoughts for discussion.

My opinion is that is irrelevant. I only care of how the club looks at address. Yes, blades are sexy and so are come cavity back models. But, it there is a big or small cavity, plastic inserts or medallions that increase performance, isn't it irrelevant?

I only care about sole thickness is a different story, but if I can't see it protruding from the back of the club at address I am cool with it.

I am more worried about the head shape, finish and most importantly, the amount of offset.

I currently play Ping S56 irons and hear how people don't like the look of the cavity and insert. It looks like a blade to me. What I can't see won't hurt me. But only help me, in my opinion.

Same goes for drivers. For example, the new Taylor Made drivers are distracting to me. Not because they are white, but because of the stupid decals on the crown. Why were they placed there?

Looks forward to your thoughts.

The flange is the working part of a golf club and the cavity, or lack of it, has much to do with the center of gravity.

I once long ago felt the way you have expressed but learned more about golf clubs and have since given more attention to the manner of construction.

Shambles

Do you care about how your car looks? You aren't seeing it from the inside, so even if it had the worst scratch in the left side and was painted fuscia pink with neon lime stripes, the important part is the engine (or transmission or anything mechanic), and the way it looks from the inside since you're looking at it directly, if we follow your theory.

I care how my car looks, and that's why I pick the colour which suits my eye better, and might prefer to have mirrors and bumpers to match the car colour instead of the ugly plastic black. I feel better and more confident on a nicer looking car, and so I feel much happier with better looking clubs. I don't see the cavity, but I know they suit my eye as the car body colour.

So there is my reason.

i play the i15s the club has a pretty nice lookng topline to me they are game improvement enough for performance and i dont think the irons look half bad. on the other hand even if i can hit the g15 with my eyes closed or the k15 blindfolded even, they look lk bricks on a stick and they dont inspire me when i make a shot- theyre never goin into my bag. i guess if ur clubs dont suit ur eyes ur never gonna use them even if u can hit it a mile

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Archived