Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Going to try blades

I bought some well used W/S FG17's and found that I strike them better than I expected. I enjoy the feedback on misses so I have decided to get a full set of a newer model.

Having said that, my question is:

If I was deciding between a set and was going to stay with Wilson Staff. When looking at the FG51, 59 & 62 models, is there a significant difference between them? Is that difference worth a few hundred dollars ?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

• Tour Edge C722 Driver
  • Adams Redline Titanium 5w
  • Tour Edge C721 irons 4 - PW
  • Cleveland CBX2 48 degree wedge
  • Maltby M-Series 52 & 56 wedges
  • Cleveland HB Soft Premier 11s putter

I can't answer your question other than to say that the FG17's are considered classics.  I love occasionally hitting mine.  I have to have graphite these days, so I would have to re-shaft them if I was going to play them a lot.  The 62's will have slightly stronger lofts (34 degree 7 iron vs. 36 degree 7 iron).

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

There hasn't been any huge technological advancements in blades in like 50 years so I'd say there is nothing from that standpoint that makes one worth substantially more than another. Personal preference on head size, sole, and looks is probably going to be the biggest factor in deciding.

Edited by ChitownM2

Thanks.  Now thinking maybe just reshaft the 3-8 FG17 and then maybe build a set of TS1's from Golfworks or maybe the Honma 737v.  

• Tour Edge C722 Driver
  • Adams Redline Titanium 5w
  • Tour Edge C721 irons 4 - PW
  • Cleveland CBX2 48 degree wedge
  • Maltby M-Series 52 & 56 wedges
  • Cleveland HB Soft Premier 11s putter

Good luck with trying the blades. The TS series from Golfworks is good. I tried blades about 2 years ago and found that I liked them but I'm not a good enough ball striker to reliably use them past a 7-iron. I switched to i15s this year to see what a more forgiving iron is like and have to say that they really lowered the amount of stress I had about making a good swing and strike. I actually found that my scores went down when I could focus more on swinging the club towards the target instead of focusing so heavily on where I was at impact. With that being said, I think just about anyone can play blades if they want. TS1s are compelling as they are certainly on the players side, but I might blend in the TS2s starting at the 6 or 7 iron if I get a set next year. I just like the extra forgiveness when I'm hitting shots from 165+. I know on bad swing days, looking down at a 5-iron blade isn't always comforting.

Thanks.  Now thinking maybe just reshaft the 3-8 FG17 and then maybe build a set of TS1's from Golfworks or maybe the Honma 737v.  
There's a TS-1 thread here. Myself and a few others play these so hit us up if you have any questions!

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG