Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Cobra Connect Five-Pre Challenge Chatter-Testers Announced.

11 hours ago, chisag said:

... Wow, that is a big gap and right where you need accuracy. I am occasionally struggling a little with my gapping going from 45* to 50* to 58* and that 8* gap costs me every now and then in the 90-105 range. Fwiw, the Snakebite Versatile 50* is really sweet. 

It is a much bigger gap that what I had before, I had a 52* instead of a 3 wood. I am happy with the 3 wood but about 70 yards to 100 I have no club, so it’s trying to half or 3/4 swing the gap wedge

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

11 hours ago, gavinski91 said:

Do you find the longer irons easier to hit? I’ve heard of some folks playing one length down to 7, and standard length below that. 

I think the 5 is a little easier to hit. The lofts are much stronger than I’m used to so I’m not sure if distance is coming from lofts. The one length with cobra sensors are the length of my normal 6 iron. I could see 4-7 one length being fine and then normal from there forward. 

also could be my swing. I am shallow which is why I play a thinner sole iron and the Radspeed has a little chunk so maybe that is why I’m struggling with irons more too. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

If you would've asked me after the first few weeks with the clubs, I would've made the following changes:

• Driver head and shaft
  • 3 Wood shaft
  • 5 Wood shaft

As it turns out, my indoor practice hitting into a net was causing all sorts of timing issues when I took the clubs out on the course. I've had this issue in the past when I spend a lot of time on a launch monitor indoors and the notice a hard draw/pull out on the course. I thought it was the equipment but then I decided to just stick with swinging an orange whip indoors and my ball flight really straightened out. 

Now that I've played a couple rounds with the equipment, the only changes would be for options not available to lefties:

• Wide grind on 56* and 60* MIM Wedges
  • 2 Utility instead of the 5W. I say that solely for a little longer option off the tee on Par 4s than the 4 Utility which I need it stretched to ~240yds and I'm averaging 225-230y. My Tour 5 wood gives me the distance I want but it's tougher to flight the ball down. Again, I would be trading my attack club on Par 5s for a longer option on Par 4s. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

It was an ugly day swing-wise which meant I was scrambling from the first hole to the last. The fairways were firm and fast  with a good south wind which lead to some insane tee shots. A 3 wood off the 9th tee traveled 301y and a 5-wood off the 14th tee traveled 277y. Meanwhile, the swing with the driver was off and I was hitting draws off the high toe all day. The irons were traveling right of my target again, but I equate that to the out-of-sync swing (sliding into the shot with hips traveling toward target so I could eliminate the hard right pull versus just rotating the hips). Just about every strike was out on the toe but I blame that on the lack of playing/practice over the last ten days. I need to make it a point to at least do a simple range session if I'm going to go two weeks inbetween rounds. 

IMG-9584.JPG.5941d1f0f6ac2da255e93235a1e1b214.JPG

With the swing being a bit wild, at least the fish were biting...well this fish was at least. Sorry for the picture quality...apparently my playing partner still uses a flip phone to record videos. 

IMG-9583.PNG.42728f7748ed0f221de3f52114f8a4ba.PNG

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

On 9/3/2021 at 2:54 AM, LeftyMatt89 said:

Honestly, I would have not gone one length. It has been such a big struggle with any scoring clubs it’s making me score significantly higher than my normal score. Pitching and chipping are difficult too. Love the woods and driver. I just am struggling big time with the one length. 

That's tough Matt.  I bought my dad a set of OL irons for fathers day and he hits them better than any other set he's had.  they just... "work" for him.  So well, in fact, I'm thinking more and more of finding a set to play.  Is the problem that they go too far and are bunched up due to the shaft length or what?  I'm also super curious how a 3,4, or 5 iron is with the significantly shorter than normal shaft.

On 9/2/2021 at 8:54 PM, LeftyMatt89 said:

Honestly, I would have not gone one length. It has been such a big struggle with any scoring clubs it’s making me score significantly higher than my normal score. Pitching and chipping are difficult too. Love the woods and driver. I just am struggling big time with the one length. 

I am sorry to hear that, I can imagine that the entire change could be very difficult.

I do hope that with time you can become used to the one lengths and get back to good scoring.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

10 minutes ago, Clayton said:

That's tough Matt.  I bought my dad a set of OL irons for fathers day and he hits them better than any other set he's had.  they just... "work" for him.  So well, in fact, I'm thinking more and more of finding a set to play.  Is the problem that they go too far and are bunched up due to the shaft length or what?  I'm also super curious how a 3,4, or 5 iron is with the significantly shorter than normal shaft.

I think it’s because I tend to have a lot of shorter clubs in my hands and the gapping is hard to adjust with a longer shaft hitting wedges. I find if I choke down (I know it defeats the purpose) I am having considerably better contact. I only have a 5 iron then 4 hybrid. The hybrid and 5 iron do seem easy to hit but in comparison to the struggles I’m having with the scoring clubs it’s been difficult to get good scores. 

3 minutes ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

I am sorry to hear that, I can imagine that the entire change could be very difficult.

I do hope that with time you can become used to the one lengths and get back to good scoring.

Thanks. I tend to play a lot of PW-60 at my home course if I hit my driver good so it’s been hard having to think of a different swing when hitting the scoring clubs. I hope they come around in time for the challenge. I am shooting 6ish shots worse on average with the one length and that is primarily due to approach shots. 

47 minutes ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

I think it’s because I tend to have a lot of shorter clubs in my hands and the gapping is hard to adjust with a longer shaft hitting wedges. I find if I choke down (I know it defeats the purpose) I am having considerably better contact. I only have a 5 iron then 4 hybrid. The hybrid and 5 iron do seem easy to hit but in comparison to the struggles I’m having with the scoring clubs it’s been difficult to get good scores. 

That was one of my worries - with what appear to be strong but normal loft gapping I was wondering if the shot gapping would be funky.  Have you gone on a Trackman or something like that to get some averages?  Very curious how that would compare.  Like how far would you hit a 64 or 60 wedge in standard and OL?  

52 minutes ago, Clayton said:

That was one of my worries - with what appear to be strong but normal loft gapping I was wondering if the shot gapping would be funky.  Have you gone on a Trackman or something like that to get some averages?  Very curious how that would compare.  Like how far would you hit a 64 or 60 wedge in standard and OL?  

I need to get in and di a gapping session with both to compare. For reference my current 60 is my 100 yard shot. It won’t go further so I just take a nice smooth swing and if the number is 100 I’ll be between 90-97. 

3 hours ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

I need to get in and di a gapping session with both to compare. For reference my current 60 is my 100 yard shot. It won’t go further so I just take a nice smooth swing and if the number is 100 I’ll be between 90-97. 

That's about where I'm at these days as well, so anything you have would be very useful for me as well.  I'm supposed to be working at a simulator business this winter so I have LOTS of time for that kind of thing... wish I had the clubs to test though!

7 hours ago, gavinski91 said:

I’m not having a particularly stellar round at the moment, but man is Prospector Golf Course beautiful!

8739A7CD-FA62-40B6-9BC5-CAB089ADB1CE.jpeg.8975b7bf11e69c4c59bed1e3e4491946.jpeg

This is the view from the 10th tee. Made par here after a 269-yard 3 wood off the tee - we’ll see if I can keep it going after a rough front 9 and see how many more holes I can get in before I run out of sunlight. 

I've been wanting to go to Suncadia for a long time now.  Just beautiful!

2 minutes ago, gavinski91 said:

Ran into a herd of elk a few holes later. 

I was a little nervous - there was a bull elk just off screen in the trees bugling every few minutes, and a few of the closer elk were snorting at me like they didn't want me there. Made it a bit tough to be totally focused on the shot, so I blocked the 8-iron a little bit right.

... Well so far, I nominate this as the very best lame excuse for 2021!!! 🤪

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, gavinski91 said:

Ran into a herd of elk a few holes later. 

I was a little nervous - there was a bull elk just off screen in the trees bugling every few minutes, and a few of the closer elk were snorting at me like they didn't want me there. Made it a bit tough to be totally focused on the shot, so I blocked the 8-iron a little bit right.

That one was eyeballing you for a bit.  Not sure I would have been able to concentrate on the shot either....Well Done

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

24 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

That one was eyeballing you for a bit.  Not sure I would have been able to concentrate on the shot either....Well Done

I edited it out of the video, but I actually stepped back off the tee the first time I went to place the ball because it was huffing and snorting at me.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS