Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Pinehurst area - Course recomdations for novice/beginners

Peter-T

Hi Everyone,

I am planning a 3 night, 3 day trip to the Pinehurst area for 8 golfers in late March.  The group varies in experience with a few beginners.  The best among us (not me) is about an 18 handicap.  We plan to get a house for all of us though airbnb or vrbo (anyone ever stay at Caddy Shack I or II).

Looking for three courses that will challenge but not overwhelm us.  We don't want to go broke or travel far from our home base.

I have searched the discussions for similar requests but didn't find anything recent that was helpful.   

Suggestions about courses or anything Pinehurst related would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Peter-T

• Peter-T changed the title to Pinehurst area - Course recomdations for novice/beginners

In my opinion, Hyland golf club in So. Pines, good price, very fair lay out. With that said, a bit average. If you play the late twilight rate at the Pinehurst resort, I'd recommend #5 first and either #1 or #3. It used to be half priced green fees. I assume it still is. 

Edited by NC Golfer

Played from the correct tees, I would suggest Pine Needles and Mid-Pines.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Agree with @NC GolferWe found #5 to be quite playable. We played it as a second round on a 36 hole day and while it lacks some of the conditioning and beauty of the main pinehurst resort courses we all enjoyed the round. I would avoid all other pinehurst courses except #1 and #3 with beginners. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

I'm with the others, at the resort #1 and #5 are the friendliest.  #3 isn't long, but had the typical Ross green complexes, which are demanding.  Off the resort I can recommend 7 Lakes and Deercroft from recent experience as being very reasonably priced, decent condition, and not excessively challenging.  I think Longleaf might fit the bill also, Talamore is a good test but overall not too tough.  To me the Ross courses, Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Southern Pines, are really demanding around the greens, so might be really tough for a beginner.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

@GolfSpy Barbajois there as we speak.  I'm guessing we'll all see some sort of a write up in the next couple weeks.  His social media posts are fantastic!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I have one more suggestion. If you find yourself north of Pinehurst in Sanford or feel like driving to Raleigh. Try Quail Ridge. Low green fees and decent shape. I love the front 9 as it is very playable for a beginner with several tee boxes. They have a 9 hole rate too and overseed on the offseason.

Sitting in the kitchen of a condo belonging to my gracious Canadian hosts at Cottages of Pinehurst National - which is the location of Pinehurst #9.  After three days here I'd say unless you just want to play it for the experience - and I think you should if you want to - #2 and #4 are very fair tee to green, but the greens will make you crazy. We played Pinehurst #9 today and it's very interesting and fun - the greens are a different kind of diabolical, though. Not nearly as slick as 2 and 4, but you gotta be able to read them.  It's fun but a different kind of tough. 

My hosts suggest #'s 1, 5, 6 and 9 might fit your bill at Pinehurst. Haven't played anywhere else down here, but as others have mentioned, there's no shortage of options. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo