Testers Wanted: Vice Golf Irons ×

Where is your game at right now

Syks7

I've taken a breather from posting to refocus and work on my game... quietly for a few weeks.  😉  I was getting ready to write something down and it didn't really feel like it fit in the how did you practice thread since it was kind of all encompassing and more about where my game is than any specific practice. 

Like the title says what's the state of your game right now, I figured this might be a good way to share goals, frustrations, triumphs, etc.  Or even talk through what you've been struggling with.

The current state of my game:

I hit a low index right before the new year (13.2) and have felt like I promptly veered right into a regression at the beginning of the current year. The lions share of that regression is that I'm kind of overhauling everything right now via lessons.  Not a full rebuild, but I've been adding things in and making a lot of adjustments and there's just way too much going on in my head right now when I'm standing over the ball.  The lessons have been great and I'm confident that my game will be vastly improved when the adjustments set and I have flashes of where its going to go, but right now (especially the last three weeks) I've been playing like I have no idea what I'm doing. 

My last lesson was in mid February and was excellent.  We didn't work on swing so much as target and alignment.  During the lesson I was taught something about alignment that I felt kind of silly not knowing.  Especially since I've literally watched every pro do some variation of it every golf swing I've ever watched them take.  (Picking a target right in front of the ball that's on line to your target, aligning the club face to that, then aligning your feet to the club face.)   🤦‍♂️.  I went to the Genesis Open the next day and watched every pro I saw basically the same thing.  Which then made me realize this is probably why I have those mystery 130 yard and in approach shots that take unexpected lines and land in three point land or yip chip range. 

This lead into overhauling my pre-shot routine.  I like it but it isn't second nature enough yet to do what its supposed to do and quiet my mind.   I still find myself standing over the ball and thinking too much and its absolutely killing my feel in all aspects of my game.  As a result I find myself playing tentatively... and we all know how well that works. It's been frustrating, but I'm working on not spiraling and have been quietly plugging away with drills, practice, and playing a lot of par 3 practice rounds.  There's been glimpses of goodness in there but I haven't been able to lock onto it.  The last couple range sessions/ par 3 rounds have been much better and I think I've identified a major culprit in why my swing feels so disjointed.  Tempo.  Oddly enough I kind of stumbled on it while I was lusting after new clubs at a golf shop.  I was fiddling around with an Orange wedge and was just kind of gently touch swinging it using the bounce off the carpet and was like 'oh, there's that feel I've been missing  and chasing after for the last few weeks.'  Went to the range later that day and focused on tempo.  It wasn't an instant fix, but it was better and it felt like I could at least feel my 'feels' again.  

Long story short, my game is in a sloppy place at the moment, but I think I'm tidying it up slowly.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

I'm coming to realize that practicing indoors is messing with my game a bit.  I've managed to get outside a couple times this weekend while the weather was good and chunked a lot of balls.  I feel this is one of those "yeah no kidding you idiot" moments but hitting on a mat and also a flat surface has thrown my game off on normal ground.  My driver was actually surprisingly decent so I'm happy about that.  My putting was good; although I didn't respond to the soggy greens appropriately, my lines were pretty on.  Everything between tee and green was very hit and miss.

Coming off my first offseason, I think its safe to say that the Tour won't need to reserve a spot for me just yet!

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

My game is nowhere right now BUT that'll be changing soon. All the ranges around me are starting to open, so I can get out a few times to knock the rust off before hitting the course. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

@Syks7 try the Think Box/Play Box approach. This is from Every Shot Must Have a Purpose. All you need to practice this is a piece of string or even just laying down a club about 5 feet behind the ball. Do this in the next range session or solo round. This club or string is the Decision Line. Start every shot in the Think Box. This is where you consider yardage, wind, weather, slope, lie, and anything else. Then you pick your club and make a practice swing. Take as much time as you need in the Think Box. When you are ready step into the Play Box. All you do in the play box is swing. When you cross that Decision Line, the mind turns off. You've done all your decision making in the Think Box. You have considered everything and made a choice you are confident in. If the mind turns on in the Play Box, step off the shot and give yourself a chance to reset in the Think Box. This will help you build confidence and build a routine.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

My game is in the toilet right now.  Well, not literally, but I am having some recent issues with my short game, primarily finesse wedge shots.  First, I recently moved to a new area in December.  The turf is completely different from what I was previously used to and the ground conditions are not the best this time of year.  The course that I'm now playing has zoysia hybrid fairways and they're really different from Bermuda and Bent grass that I'm more used to playing.  First of all, it's crazy, but golf carts tend to float and move left and right as you drive on them.  I was thinking something was wrong with the golf cart, but was assured that all of them do that in this grass.  I've played the course in the summer when I visited last year and hitting from the fairways was no issue.  However, winter season is an entirely different matter.  The grass is dormant and the lie is very tight, coupled with very moist soil beneath the surface, which the slightest mishit will create havoc.  In any case, I'm currently struggling with my short game.  The greens at this course are awesome, typically fast and roll true.  I'm putting very well on them.  My driving and iron play has been good lately.  If it weren't for my issues around the green, I'd score better, but as it is my handicap has risen >3 points.  With a low index of 6.8 and a current one of 10.5, a soft cap has been placed on my handicap so it rises at a lower rate (50%) than standard.  The good news is that spring is around the corner.  Already seeing the trees beginning to bud out and I suspect the grass will soon be growing again.  I'm confident that I will overcome the issues in my short game and that I will begin scoring soon.  (that's my theory, anyway!)

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

3 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

@Syks7 try the Think Box/Play Box approach. This is from Every Shot Must Have a Purpose. All you need to practice this is a piece of string or even just laying down a club about 5 feet behind the ball. Do this in the next range session or solo round. This club or string is the Decision Line. Start every shot in the Think Box. This is where you consider yardage, wind, weather, slope, lie, and anything else. Then you pick your club and make a practice swing. Take as much time as you need in the Think Box. When you are ready step into the Play Box. All you do in the play box is swing. When you cross that Decision Line, the mind turns off. You've done all your decision making in the Think Box. You have considered everything and made a choice you are confident in. If the mind turns on in the Play Box, step off the shot and give yourself a chance to reset in the Think Box. This will help you build confidence and build a routine.

Definitely going to give that a go.  Much appreciated advice.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

My game is 'full of hope' at the moment.  I hit my low index of 9.4 last summer and have regressed a bit since then.  However, during this past off season I have put it a lot of practice, lessons and fine-tuning of my gear.   On top of that I'm just about done with phase 2 of super speed training and will be ready for the maintenance phase in a couple of weeks.  Indoor w/ launch monitor, I'm hitting straighter and further than ever before.

I can't wait for the season to start.  I'm anxious to find out if what I'm seeing indoors translates on the course.  I hope some of it does.   Snow, be gone!!  

• 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro

It was like a bear coming out of hibernation on Friday. All stiff, no flexibility, but hungry to play. Performance was sub standard and called it after 13 holes.

Sunday was the bear on a full stomach on a warm sunny day. All the crap was gone and back in form. Probably a fluke but I hope all the cob webs are gone. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag