PGA Tour 2023 - Arnold Palmer Invitational

Splatt

G’day Golfers,

Last week, despite the lack of household names, the final round (especially the last few holes) were absolutely electric to watch. Just goes to show that the PGA Tour field is DEEP, and the absence of big names doesn’t necessarily mean a boring tournament. Top-10 players? Who needs ‘em?

Anyway, onto this week’s tournament and the triumphant return of the big names 😊

This week we’re onto the Arnold Palmer Invitational, the fourth designated event for the 2023 season, and a tournament that awards the 3rd most prestigious piece of clothing in golf behind the Green Jacket at The Masters, and the Gold Jacket in Happy Gilmore.

Scottywinner.jpg.5f779f48d186a23e02c1175a281cb420.jpg

The Arnold Palmer Invitational is played at Bay Hill Club & Lodge a 7,466-yard par-72 course. Like the PGA National last week, water is a common site at Bay Hill with water hazards in play on 9 holes. The Arnie Invitational at Bay Hill has had the highest percentage of penalty strokes in three of the last four years, so avoiding hazards is paramount for any golfer looking for success on this course. Being able to bomb it accurately from the tee and a sharp short game will go far at this event.

BayHill.jpg.e951af090ef2b759650545492331e1c3.jpg

Being a designated event, some of the biggest names in golf will tee it up this week, with forty-four of the world's top fifty playing, including nine of the current OWGR top 10. The only player in the current world top 10 not playing is Cameron Smith as he is away LIV-ing his best life.

Of the three designated events so far this year, Rahm has won two and Scheffler has won the other. Scheffler is also the defending champ here; last year he won by one shot over Hatton in some of the worst conditions in the tournament's history. It was a thrilling final round and hopefully, we’re treated to the same again.

A combination of the highly ranked field, a tough-ass course, and anticipated tough weather conditions means this is going to be a difficult weekend. Whoever comes out on top this week will have certainly earnt their huge cheque.

Field Highlights

·         The Big Three: Rahm, McIlroy, & Scheffler – Despite a highly talented field, three golfers clearly stand out from the pack. I’ve decided to join these guys together as whatever I can write about one can be cut and pasted to the other: Former/current world number 1, big bomber from the tee, currently playing some fantastic golf, strong short game, good history at this event (McIlroy and Scheffler have both won it, with Rahm a T-17 in 2022), I could go on. The odds are on one of these three slipping into that red cardigan on Sunday.

·         Will Zalatoris – Zal has had some back issues as of late which meant that after his first career win at the FedEx St. Jude Championship, he had to withdraw from the very next event at the BMW Championship. He then did not start at the Tour Championship with week after the BMW. But, if his recent record is anything to go by (and forgive the pun), Willy Z is BACK. Zal finished solo 4th at the very difficult Genesis Invitational a few weeks ago, he fired a final round 64 to put his name very much into the conversation. Zalatoris tends to thrive in difficult conditions and tough events, so this week will fit him like a glove.

·         Matt Fitzpatrick – Steady has been the name of the game so far this year for Fitzy with two T-13’s, a T-29, and a T-7 at The Sentry Tournament of Champions. He’s also missed two cuts, one at Pebble Beach and one at The Genesis Invitational. However, his history at this event is promising: T-9 in 2022, T-10 in 2021, T-9 in 2020, solo 2nd in 2019, if there’s anyone who can take it to The Big Three it's Matt Fitzpatrick. And, if you’ve watched Full Swing on Netflix, you just know Fitzpatrick has stackes of notes from his previous successes here.

·         Sam Burns – Current world number 14, Burns has had a good start to his 22-23 season. A T-30, T-7, solo-12th, T-11, and his best finish of the season a T-6 at the WM Phoenix Open a few weeks back. He missed the cut at The Genesis Invitational, an opening 75 ended up being too much to climb back from. Sam Burns is not a player I would ever count out, he won three times on tour last year and I’d expect him to get at least one or two more this season. Will his game be enough to compete at this difficult course the toughest competition in the world?

·         Sahith Theegala – Despite still waiting for his maiden win, Theegala is ranked 31st in the OWGR and 10th in the current FedEx Cup rankings. He’s had a busy season so far playing 11 events, and what’s more impressive is his record. He’s had one runner-up, 5 top-10’s, and 6 top-25s. He failed to make the cut here last year, but it was his rookie season and his golf this year is far steadier. Surely, he gets his first win this season, the only question is when?

The full field can be found here.

How is everyone finding these designated events so far?
I’m loving the ebb and flow it’s adding to the season; these higher-status events almost feel like mini-majors, and, if The Honda Classic is anything to go by, the non-designated events will be a great showcase for players that don’t normally have a spotlight.

For those in the MGS Pick ‘Em, we’ve found already that it’s critical to do well during these designated events, so make sure you pick the winner.

Regards,

Splatt

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Fairway Wood - :callaway-small: Warbird (to be replaced ASAP)
Hybrid - :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 19 degree, (not a fan, but getting there)
Irons - :callaway-small: Warbird 4 iron to PW (to be replaced ASAP)
Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  LAB Golf - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

There are already some great groups:

Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree

That last Group has my eye. 

So much fun! 

And I actually may even be able to watch some this week.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Another great weekend of good golf coming up, that is awesome, and for any F1 fans out there it is the first race of the season too. Overall an awesome weekend.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Ah one of my favorite events of the year.  I always enjoy watching the play at Bay Hill.  I remember catching Arnie hit his driver off the deck on 18 live and thought that was a great moment!

Looking forward to the weekend already! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

So excited for this week's event - something about Bay Hill always gets me amped way more than the Player's - must be that cardigan.  (what a ridiculous, fantastic tradition - making the winner put on an old-man-sweater.  Absolutely love it.)

Really, really curious to see how Sheffler/Rahm battle it out, but I will not be surprised at all if some young gun sneaks in and yoinks it from them.  My money's on (fill in the blank here - I'm not giving away all my secrets): he's just so good and playing such consistent golf.  (Shhh...it's Tiger.  Feel free to add him to your picker.)

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

8 hours ago, Splatt said:

G’day Golfers,

Last week, despite the lack of household names, the final round (especially the last few holes) were absolutely electric to watch. Just goes to show that the PGA Tour field is DEEP, and the absence of big names doesn’t necessarily mean a boring tournament. Top-10 players? Who needs ‘em?

Anyway, onto this week’s tournament and the triumphant return of the big names 😊

This week we’re onto the Arnold Palmer Invitational, the fourth designated event for the 2023 season, and a tournament that awards the 3rd most prestigious piece of clothing in golf behind the Green Jacket at The Masters, and the Gold Jacket in Happy Gilmore.

The Arnold Palmer Invitational is played at Bay Hill Club & Lodge a 7,466-yard par-72 course. Like the PGA National last week, water is a common site at Bay Hill with water hazards in play on 9 holes. The Arnie Invitational at Bay Hill has had the highest percentage of penalty strokes in three of the last four years, so avoiding hazards is paramount for any golfer looking for success on this course. Being able to bomb it accurately from the tee and a sharp short game will go far at this event.

Being a designated event, some of the biggest names in golf will tee it up this week, with forty-four of the world's top fifty playing, including nine of the current OWGR top 10. The only player in the current world top 10 not playing is Cameron Smith as he is away LIV-ing his best life.

Of the three designated events so far this year, Rahm has won two and Scheffler has won the other. Scheffler is also the defending champ here; last year he won by one shot over Hatton in some of the worst conditions in the tournament's history. It was a thrilling final round and hopefully, we’re treated to the same again.

A combination of the highly ranked field, a tough-ass course, and anticipated tough weather conditions means this is going to be a difficult weekend. Whoever comes out on top this week will have certainly earnt their huge cheque.

Field Highlights

·         The Big Three: Rahm, McIlroy, & Scheffler – Despite a highly talented field, three golfers clearly stand out from the pack. I’ve decided to join these guys together as whatever I can write about one can be cut and pasted to the other: Former/current world number 1, big bomber from the tee, currently playing some fantastic golf, strong short game, good history at this event (McIlroy and Scheffler have both won it, with Rahm a T-17 in 2022), I could go on. The odds are on one of these three slipping into that red cardigan on Sunday.

·         Will Zalatoris – Zal has had some back issues as of late which meant that after his first career win at the FedEx St. Jude Championship, he had to withdraw from the very next event at the BMW Championship. He then did not start at the Tour Championship with week after the BMW. But, if his recent record is anything to go by (and forgive the pun), Willy Z is BACK. Zal finished solo 4th at the very difficult Genesis Invitational a few weeks ago, he fired a final round 64 to put his name very much into the conversation. Zalatoris tends to thrive in difficult conditions and tough events, so this week will fit him like a glove.

·         Matt Fitzpatrick – Steady has been the name of the game so far this year for Fitzy with two T-13’s, a T-29, and a T-7 at The Sentry Tournament of Champions. He’s also missed two cuts, one at Pebble Beach and one at The Genesis Invitational. However, his history at this event is promising: T-9 in 2022, T-10 in 2021, T-9 in 2020, solo 2nd in 2019, if there’s anyone who can take it to The Big Three it's Matt Fitzpatrick. And, if you’ve watched Full Swing on Netflix, you just know Fitzpatrick has stackes of notes from his previous successes here.

·         Sam Burns – Current world number 14, Burns has had a good start to his 22-23 season. A T-30, T-7, solo-12th, T-11, and his best finish of the season a T-6 at the WM Phoenix Open a few weeks back. He missed the cut at The Genesis Invitational, an opening 75 ended up being too much to climb back from. Sam Burns is not a player I would ever count out, he won three times on tour last year and I’d expect him to get at least one or two more this season. Will his game be enough to compete at this difficult course the toughest competition in the world?

·         Sahith Theegala – Despite still waiting for his maiden win, Theegala is ranked 31st in the OWGR and 10th in the current FedEx Cup rankings. He’s had a busy season so far playing 11 events, and what’s more impressive is his record. He’s had one runner-up, 5 top-10’s, and 6 top-25s. He failed to make the cut here last year, but it was his rookie season and his golf this year is far steadier. Surely, he gets his first win this season, the only question is when?

I’m loving the ebb and flow it’s adding to the season; these higher-status events almost feel like mini-majors, and, if The Honda Classic is anything to go by, the non-designated events will be a great showcase for players that don’t normally have a spotlight.

For those in the MGS Pick ‘Em, we’ve found already that it’s critical to do well during these designated events, so make sure you pick the winner.

Regards,

Splatt

"Last week, despite the lack of household names, the final round (especially the last few holes) were absolutely electric to watch. Just goes to show that the PGA Tour field is DEEP, and the absence of big names doesn’t necessarily mean a boring tournament. Top-10 players? Who needs ‘em?"

I would go even further; I think that it's the format and the way the PGAT puts on events.

If all the top ten players went to play team golf the PGAT would still be just fine.....IMO

Stars are born every week on the PGAT......Right before our eyes.

Edited by cleve981

On 3/1/2023 at 3:30 AM, Splatt said:

G’day Golfers,

Field Highlights

Regards,

Splatt

Well written again.  Always look forward to this Tournament.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I've got more interested this week as Ryan Fox got a start so hoping he makes the cut, I'm not sure that Bay Hill suits him he's plus one finished the first round...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Surprise, surprise, Rahm is at the top of the leaderboard.

Is there anyone who can beat Rahm right now?

Rahm:

1 minute ago, Splatt said:

Long way to go in his career, but makes me want to consider who is better prime Tiger or prime Rahm

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Long way to go in his career, but makes me want to consider who is better prime Tiger or prime Rahm

At this stage, I'm still unflinchingly Tiger.

There's no arguing Rahm is on another level right now, but prime Tiger was on another levels for years and years.

This will be an interesting conversation to have this time next year if Rahm continues this dominence 

17 minutes ago, Splatt said:

Rahm:

Rahmbo is going to be tough to beat this week.

I saw a bit of telecast today and Rory looked lost.

Rick

Left Hand, 

16 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Rahmbo is going to be tough to beat this week.

I saw a bit of telecast today and Rory looked lost.

Yeah, Rory flew his ball into the lake on #6 and had several not good iron shots, not good bunker shots, and not good putts.  A lot to work on before tomorrow.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Looks like round 2 is going to be fun

1 hour ago, Splatt said:

Looks like round 2 is going to be fun

Ryan Fox likes the wind he grew up in Auckland NZ and there’s a lot of strong wind here, he enjoys hitting the ball under the wind. Here’s hoping he does well….

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

1 hour ago, Bang60 said:

Ryan Fox likes the wind he grew up in Auckland NZ and there’s a lot of strong wind here, he enjoys hitting the ball under the wind. Here’s hoping he does well….

Sounds to me like his whole life has been leading up to tomorrow's round 😄

10 hours ago, Splatt said:

Sounds to me like his whole life has been leading up to tomorrow's round 😄

Well he would agree with that but he won about $4mil last year and in the Top 50 first time in his golfing life and in his 30’s, late developing but he has game just depends on if he can get 4 good rounds in a row but nerves will play a part fingers crossed lol…

21 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Yeah, Rory flew his ball into the lake on #6 and had several not good iron shots, not good bunker shots, and not good putts.  A lot to work on before tomorrow.

Rory is spending too much time trying to run the PGA tour.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

I am having a decent catch up week. Going to be interesting to see how the rest of the day plays out!Screenshot 2023-03-05 18.05.20.pngScreenshot 2023-03-05 18.05.31.png

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

What a leaderboard right now!  Still anybody's tournament.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

8 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

What a leaderboard right now!  Still anybody's tournament.

Looks like a playoff in the making….

Rick

Left Hand, 

3 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Looks like a playoff in the making….

I’ll be disappointed if there’s not at least 3 in the playoff

How good is a 5-way tie?!

12 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

I’ll be disappointed if there’s not at least 3 in the playoff

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Rick

Left Hand, 

21 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

I blame you! 😂

Great W for Kitayama!

I think Kitayama will make the par putt 😁

Congratulations to Kurt Kitayama!

Rick

Left Hand,