Sub 70 939X vs PXG 0211.

Hello everyone.
I’m looking for opinions on the Sub 70 939X 3 wood and the PXG 0211 3 wood to replace my Ping G10 4 Wood.
Price is about the same for both, but with the Sub 70, loft and lie are adjustable.
I’m also looking at the current Ping and Callaway options, but keep coming back to these two.
Thanks.

1 hour ago, 202 said:

Hello everyone.
I’m looking for opinions on the Sub 70 939X 3 wood and the PXG 0211 3 wood to replace my Ping G10 4 Wood.
Price is about the same for both, but with the Sub 70, loft and lie are adjustable.
I’m also looking at the current Ping and Callaway options, but keep coming back to these two.
Thanks.

Following - curious about these two as well. After hitting the Paradym 3-wood and falling a little in love with it, looking for a similarly-profiled head (shallower the better). Not sure if either of these fits the bill, but given budget constraints, spending $350 on a 3-wood isn't really possible. 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

I hit the 0211 3-wood during my driver fitting in december. Once I was fit into the Gen 5 driver, I hit the Gen 5 3-wood. Wasn't that impressed. I told him I wanted to try the 0211 and proceeded to absolutely smash three out of four shots off the turf. Absolutely smoked them. I have a YouTube video out comparing it to my old Cobra SpeedZone and Tour Exotics c721.

DR: PXG 0311 Gen 5 with Tensei White Extra Stiff
3W: PXG 0211 with Tensei White Extra Stiff
3H: Tour Exotics EX221 with HZRDUS Smoke Black Stiff
IRN: 2021 PXG 0211 with MMT Mitsubishi Stiff 
54/58: Cleveland CBX
P: Wilson Infinite Buckingham

I have both the prior gen 0211 (adjustable) and Gen 5 0311 PXG 3 woods....I have also hit the current 0211 3 wood prior to ordering the 0311 Gen 5...

The Gen 5 0311 is far superior to the former adjustable 0211 3 wood IMHO. As for the current 0211 non-adjustable fairway woods- I pass-the cost difference is negligible and what you lose is not worth the savings-again-IMHO.

Icing on the cake- PXG just lowered the price on their Gen 5 fairway woods from $379 to $199 plus shipping-depending upon what shaft/grip options you choose...there are upcharges for upgrades....I have no upcharge selections on mine...after a PXG fitting-did not feel the need for upcharge on fairway woods. 

I did upgrade on my Gen 5 0311 driver however.

Just some food for thought.

Golf Gear Head

In case you want to see more of the 0211 3-wood. It's now $139!

Edited by dmacko99

I have both the prior gen 0211 (adjustable) and Gen 5 0311 PXG 3 woods....I have also hit the current 0211 3 wood prior to ordering the 0311 Gen 5...

The Gen 5 0311 is far superior to the former adjustable 0211 3 wood IMHO. As for the current 0211 non-adjustable fairway woods- I pass-the cost difference is negligible and what you lose is not worth the savings-again-IMHO.
Icing on the cake- PXG just lowered the price on their Gen 5 fairway woods from $379 to $199 plus shipping-depending upon what shaft/grip options you choose...there are upcharges for upgrades....I have no upcharge selections on mine...after a PXG fitting-did not feel the need for upcharge on fairway woods. 

I did upgrade on my Gen 5 0311 driver however.

Just some food for thought.

Yes, I agree, adjustability is something good to have.
The 0211 are at such a nice price now and they have good reviews. I’m on the fence there and the reason to compare it against the Sub 70 939X and others.

In case you want to see more of the 0211 3-wood. It's now $139!

Nice video and review! You definitely hit it very well.
It’s a winner. The lack of adjustability is the only thing against it, when compared to others (at a bit higher price).

That's right. But at the time, considering it was only $169 I didn't need adjustability.

Couple of other thoughts on the 0211 v 0311 evaluation....the 0311 also has moveable weights in addition to the adjustable hosel....Not sure how long you plan to keep your next purchase but let's say you change every five years...the annual cost difference then becomes $10 per year of ownership...hehe

I am not a PXG rep or anything, I just like the product and switched all but my wedges over to PXG and have full sets (and a few extras) of both the 0211's and the 0311's - woods and irons (plus the 0811 X Proto from a couple years ago...

Anyway, good luck with the decision!

Golf Gear Head

Couple of other thoughts on the 0211 v 0311 evaluation....the 0311 also has moveable weights in addition to the adjustable hosel....Not sure how long you plan to keep your next purchase but let's say you change every five years...the annual cost difference then becomes $10 per year of ownership...hehe

I am not a PXG rep or anything, I just like the product and switched all but my wedges over to PXG and have full sets (and a few extras) of both the 0211's and the 0311's - woods and irons (plus the 0811 X Proto from a couple years ago...

Anyway, good luck with the decision!

You are right about that. Make sense. I’ve been using my current 4W for the last 10 or so. This time it will probably be 2 or 3 years.

Just to clarify- PXG has a pretty significant sale on right now, so the cost difference between the 0211 and the 0311 is only $50, not $150....that's what makes the 0311 such a great opportunity-IMHO....

As for the SUB fairway wood, never hit one....

And the video that was posted is really great-very dynamic swing and results!

Golf Gear Head

34 minutes ago, 202 said:

No comments on the Sub 70 939X?

I play the 949X and it’s an excellent club. I tried the 939X pre Covid and I liked it but wasn’t really looking at a fairway wood. I was actually there getting some adjustments on my irons so I was trying different clubs while I was waiting for my clubs to get adjusted. I have been very happy with all my Sub 70 clubs.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

15 hours ago, 202 said:

Adjustability is good to have but it is not always needed/used. And for $150 one can live without it. emoji16.png

Concur. Since I was fitted for my Gen 4 Hybrid and woods I haven’t made any adjustments. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree PING Tour 2.0 Chrome 65

Ping G430 Max 3 Wood PING Tour 2.0 Chrome 75

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood PING Tour 2.0 Chrome 75

Ping 3i iCrossover PING Tour 2.0 Chrome 85

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 56/10

Ping Glide 4.0 60/10

Ping Kushin 4 putter

Maxfli Tour & Wilson Triad White Golf Balls

Well, I used the Golf Galaxy simulator yesterday for over an hour and at some point started adjusting the Ping G425 hybrids until I got the ball flight that I wanted.
I ended up buying a Ping G425 LST 3 Wood and adjusted it to what I wanted as well.