Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Tour Striker Smart Ball

UpstateGolf

I don’t know if it’s my algorithm, great marketing, or if it’s truly taking over the golf game but I see this thing every where. The Tour Striker Smart Ball by Tour Striker is taking social media by storm and has been spotted on the range by dozens of tour pros, but is it right for the average amateur golfer? 

Self admittedly, I am probably way too into training aids, so when I see claims like “Helps You Hit Longer AND Straighter, Syncs Up Your Body & Arms, Eliminates the Dreaded "Chicken Wing,  Encourages an "Inside Out" Strike” among many other claims on Tour Strikers website, I am bound to give it a shot. I purchased the Smart Ball on April 24th 2023 and received it promptly on the 26th.

First Impression: Simple design, comes with a carry case, collapses easily as the ball is inflatable and fits right in your golf bag. The felt material on the ball itself is soft as well so it doesn’t become irritating rubbing against your arms.

Initial Uses: I made the error of just inflating the ball and trying to hit full shots. As I am not a professional ball striker this is a tricky sensation to maneuver If your game contains the issues the Tour Striker is trying to aid with. Luckily, a purchase of the ball comes with a series of videos by Martin Chuck himself that Tour Striker refers to as “protocols.”

The protocols run as a progression system, starting with warmup/half shot pitches with the ball deflated under each arm. They then have you move into half shots with the ball inflated, held between your forearms, eventually worked into full shots with a longer iron (I use a 6 or 7) followed by full shots with a wood or driver, once you are comfortable with the sensation.

Overall, I like the device a lot and it has definitely helped my swing, but only after following the protocols and committing to them for a month or so. If you’re buying this expecting to throw it on and start hitting straighter shots, it’s not going to work that great. 

If I were to improve one thing, it would just be to increase the quality of the physical product. I have had it since April and it does seem like the ball is deflating a little bit so I am a bit wary of the longevity here. However, I am aware that the true value lies in the virtual instruction that comes with the purchase of the device.

Driver - Stealth 2 plus 9.0 degree Mitsubishi Kai Li red x flex 60g

3 wood - Stealth 2, ventus red, stiff 

Hybrid - stealth 2 plus 19.5 degrees, Kai li red stiff 

irons- playing 2 sets on and off, p790 4-p, dynamic gold stiff shafts and mizuno mp15s 3-pw with project x 6.5 shafts

wedges -taylor made MG3 in 50/60, MG2 54 degree

putter- Taylor made reserve 

bag - Nike Air Hybrid 

I just purchased one a couple days ago and am excited about those protocols and putting in the work to get my swing better.

Thanks for the details and your experience.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

1 hour ago, Shrek74 said:

I just purchased one a couple days ago and am excited about those protocols and putting in the work to get my swing better.

Thanks for the details and your experience.

No problem! Just stick with it and don’t skip over the protocols. At the bare minimum, you’ll likely see a really big improvement in your mid range wedge/pitch shots.

Driver - Stealth 2 plus 9.0 degree Mitsubishi Kai Li red x flex 60g

3 wood - Stealth 2, ventus red, stiff 

Hybrid - stealth 2 plus 19.5 degrees, Kai li red stiff 

irons- playing 2 sets on and off, p790 4-p, dynamic gold stiff shafts and mizuno mp15s 3-pw with project x 6.5 shafts

wedges -taylor made MG3 in 50/60, MG2 54 degree

putter- Taylor made reserve 

bag - Nike Air Hybrid 

• 6 months later...

I just received one of these a few weeks ago and can already tell it’s a great tool. I’ve found it to be perfect in my warmup at the range to get my body moving together and in the positions it needs to while also helping stretch the necessary back and shoulder muscles to keep those in sync. It’s definitely proving to be an immediate feedback aid which I love. For those that have been using it for awhile, what are your updated thoughts?

TS3 driver TS2 16.5° Srixon ZU85 2i Titleist 718 AP2 4-P Cleveland RTX T 50,56,60 Odyssey 5K TriHot Triple Wide

• 2 weeks later...

I was recommended to use this by my instructor too.  I bought a generic copy from Amazon.  I find it really helps me keep that triangle with my arms and shoulders ala Tommy Fleetwood.  I've tried it for putting with some success too.  

Driver: Ping G430LST, Kaili White S

3 Wood: Ping G430Max, Alta Stiff

3H: Callaway Paradym, Tour AD-DI 8S

4&5H: Callaway Apex Pro, Tour AD-DI 8S

6-PW: Taylormade P770 ('23 model), KBS Tour Lite S

50/54/60: Vokey SM9, KBS Tour Lite S 

Putter: Toulon Atlanta with KBS OneStep shaft

Ball: ProV1x (or Wilson Staff Model X)

• 5 months later...
On 3/11/2024 at 3:12 PM, Braehead said:

I was recommended to use this by my instructor too.  I bought a generic copy from Amazon.  I find it really helps me keep that triangle with my arms and shoulders ala Tommy Fleetwood.  I've tried it for putting with some success too.  

I did the same and bought a generic from Amazon.  I use it quite frequently and find it very good.  

Edited by Braehead
changes

On 3/11/2024 at 8:12 AM, Braehead said:

May I ask which one you purchased?

Cobra Aerojet MAX 9* 

Cobra Air X 3 Wood

Cobra BioCell 7 Wood

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW

Cleveland CG 56*

Odyssey White Hot Rossie

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I remembered watching a video from a couple years ago when i started this golf journey. This topic resurfacing has made me remember it.  He not saying it won't work for you, simply saying that it may not be the right cure at that time.

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

6 hours ago, PrayingForPar said:

May I ask which one you purchased?

It was called the FunMove Upgraded Golf Impact Ball