Star Grips - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts in the links below!

@BreakfastBall15 -Main Post

@LeakyValve - Main Post

@Alf. S - Main Post

@EugeGallMain Post

So I did get out and play today and while it didn’t get very hot while I was playing I did get a decent sweat in. Between the sweat and having some ice cold beverages while walking between shots I didn’t notice any slippage with the grips. 

Also, I had the guys I was playing with feel the orange and blue grips to test my theory. 2 of them said the orange was softer while the other said he couldn’t really tell a difference 

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

Decided to clean the grips to see how they would feel after a good scrub. Used a proper grip tube grip cleaning tool and some mild soap. 

after cleaning them I left them wet and to no surprise they we awful to hold on to. I think this hold true for any grip so not worth docking any marks. I also put my rain gloves on and got them a little damp (as they work best like this) and they did make my hands feel secured on  the grips. However, I will say that after a quick drying they were as tacky as they were we I first installed them. Surprising to me to be honest. I had hoped some of the tackiness would go away after scrubbing them. 

I went to play indoors after washing the grips and I fully believe that the new grip new glove combo I used in my first round outside equated to the feeling of the glove “sticking” to the grip during adjustments. 

I’m becoming more in tune with the way the Tour Stars feel on the irons. And I think I’ll be adding an extra 2 wraps of tape to build them up just a bit. 

My swing is more of an issue than using new grips so heading into the final review time I’ll try to remove my current game state from the equation as much as I can. Only if I feel the grip itself is making me feel a certain way on the course. Being a scratch golfer on the range and a 10 hdcp on the course leads me to believe it’s a me problem. Not a grip issue. 

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

19 minutes ago, LeakyValve said:

Being a scratch golfer on the range and a 10 hdcp on the course....

Lol. I'm a 1.5 handicap on the grass ranges and a +4 on the mats.

Yeah, tacky feeling doesn't seem to fade after many washes.  I've got an old wedge with a pink Sidewinder installed on it.  I'm leaving on my back porch to chip around with.  Some days I may just leave it in the sun and after a few weeks I'll let you guys know how it holds up.

I thought I read in a thread somewhere that a Star owner had grips that were over a year old that were still grippy.

Question for the testers and something I ran across this weekend. 

I tried to remove a grip so I could add a layer of tape and had the first one bubble up and stretch out.  I finally got it off but it was shot. Luckily had an extra. 

What psi for air is everyone using and has anyone found a perfected way to remove the grips?

I have removed before but this one seemed stuck. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

19 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I tried to remove a grip so I could add a layer of tape and had the first one bubble up and stretch out.  I finally got it off but it was shot. Luckily had an extra. 

What psi for air is everyone using and has anyone found a perfected way to remove the grips?

That happened to me with a grip that was installed on double sided tape.  On all the others that I removed I had no problems but those had either no tape or I used single sided tape.  I also removed all leftover adhesive from the previous grip tape before installing the Star grips.

Fwiw, I install/remove using 60psi.

Edited by Gunn404

Just now, Gunn404 said:

That happened to me with a grip that was installed on double sided tape.  On all the others that I removed I had no problems but those had either no tape or I used single sided tape.

Fwiw, I install/remove using 60psi.

That may explain it perfectly. It's one of the clubs that I didn't damage the tape when removing the old grip and was double sided. 

23 minutes ago, Gunn404 said:

Yep, I did that exact thing.

I have one more grip and I may try shooting a little solvent down the grip and try the air.  I have a caulking knife that let's me get in the grip from the bottom and want to add a layer of tape to my irons. 

Just waiting for my set of Lamkin grips to fade even the slightest bit and have a full new set of green grips to put on. I thought at first the texture wouldn't quite be to my liking, but my goodness I have come to like these grips. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

58 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

50 seemed to be the magic number for me for both install and removing. The first one I put on back when doing the initial install had ballooned up but took it off and put it back on with no issues 

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Just waiting for my set of Lamkin grips to fade even the slightest bit and have a full new set of green grips to put on. I thought at first the texture wouldn't quite be to my liking, but my goodness I have come to like these grips. 

I was in the same boat. I thought they were too tacky but it only took one swing to change my mind. These are never coming off my clubs

16 minutes ago, BreakfastBall15 said:

50 seemed to be the magic number for me for both install and removing. The first one I put on back when doing the initial install had ballooned up but took it off and put it back on with no issues 

Is anyone using a piece of pvc pipe to prevent blowing up the grip?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

8 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Is anyone using a piece of pvc pipe to prevent blowing up the grip?

I have not. I cut the old ones that had tape. Haven’t needed to with the ones that I’ve put on and off using air 

7 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

I have one more grip and I may try shooting a little solvent down the grip and try the air.  I have a caulking knife that let's me get in the grip from the bottom and want to add a layer of tape to my irons. 

If you plan on sticking with Star grips I'd suggest getting the tape they sell.  It's one-sided and I had no problems removing grips installed with it.  Install/removal isn't quite as easy as bare clean shafts.

I've read that masking tape works also, but I haven't tried it yet.

8 hours ago, BreakfastBall15 said:

Thanks 

23 minutes ago, Gunn404 said:

If you plan on sticking with Star grips I'd suggest getting the tape they sell.  It's one-sided and I had no problems removing grips installed with it.  Install/removal isn't quite as easy as bare clean shafts.

Masking tape works great!  So does painters tape. 

I just didn't remove this tape because it was fine and didn't think about it being double sided.  Got a little lazy on it and in a time crunch and threw it on. 

12 hours ago, poprocksncoke said:

Very helpful reviews here.  Been using Pure grips for years and have ran out.  Looks like my next grips are going to be Star grips.

I dont think you will regret using the star grip.  For me they work great and they last longer than some other grips.   I have used pure grips and found them to get slippery during the summer months here in the south.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

1 hour ago, Gunn404 said:

I used 2 in masking tape and it worked great

Took most of my grips off my irons to add a few layers of tape and build them up even more. My irons all have 4 wraps of 2”painters tape on them now. 

I found that the smaller profile was giving me hand cramps after extended testing sessions. Not a grip issue itself. Just a size issue. This is expected with the tour stars normal size profile compared to my sidewinders midsizing. 

Uninstall, taping, and reinstall took no more than 2 hours for everything. And they’re ready to hit today. Huge huge plus. 

I ended up taking a sidewinder off and making it a spare as I have a special club coming that I want to keep it available to put on to do a direct test. This turned into my dad wanting to give a few of them a spin as well. Since I have 18 ish clubs I’ll put in rotation a few of them have grips on and didn’t get the star grips. So I had the spare sidewinder and a tour star for him to test. He’s a long standing pure grips user so I’m interested to hear his thoughts after his round today. If the sidewinders are any indication of his liking, he responded with an “ohhh baby that is sweet” after installing and giving it a squeeze .

Lastly, I’ve been trying my absolute hardest to find things I really don’t like about the grips. Since they tick nearly every box for me, I’m finding I have to get really nitpicky about things which I believe is okay. They may seem small and tedious but to others it might be a total “no for me dawg”. 

Looking forward to a final range session or a round to gather my last pictures and thoughts before wrapping the test up!

Edited by LeakyValve
Reworded

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

1 hour ago, LeakyValve said:

Took most of my grips off my irons to add a few layers of tape and build them up even more. My irons all have 4 wraps of 2”painters tape on them now. 

I found that the smaller profile was giving me hand cramps after extended testing sessions. Not a grip issue itself. Just a size issue. This is expected with the tour stars normal size profile compared to my sidewinders midsizing. 

Uninstall, taping, and reinstall took no more than 2 hours for everything. And they’re ready to hit today. Huge huge plus. 

I ended up taking a sidewinder off and making it a spare as I have a special club coming that I want to keep it available to put on to do a direct test. This turned into my dad wanting to give a few of them a spin as well. Since I have 18 ish clubs I’ll put in rotation a few of them have grips on and didn’t get the star grips. So I had the spare sidewinder and a tour star for him to test. He’s a long standing pure grips user so I’m interested to hear his thoughts after his round today. If the sidewinders are any indication of his liking, he responded with an “ohhh baby that is sweet” after installing and giving it a squeeze .

Lastly, I’ve been trying my absolute hardest to find things I really don’t like about the grips. Since they tick nearly every box for me, I’m finding I have to get really nitpicky about things which I believe is okay. They may seem small and tedious but to others it might be a total “no for me dawg”. 

Looking forward to a final range session or a round to gather my last pictures and thoughts before wrapping the test up!

i had the same reaction as your dad when i switched from pure to star grips last year…the one and only thing i did not like about pure was the exaggerated taper (easy enough to build up bottom hand to alleviate issue) so when i learned star had a reduced taper grip i  the tour star+ i was sold 100% and they have been on the clubs since and still feel fantastic (like new if i give them a wipe with wet towel)…i even use a tour satr+ jumbo on my putter😉 (just luv the feel🤷‍♂️)…cheers

Driver: Titleist TSR4 8*...Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60S

3 Wood: Titleist TSR2+ 12*...Fujikura Ventus TR Red 70S

7 Wood: Callaway Apex UW 21*...Fujikura Ventus TR Black 80S

Di: Ping iCrossover 2i/18*...Fujikura Axiom LP 105S

4H: Titleist TSR3 23*...Axiom LP 105S

5i-Pw: Edel SMS...Axiom MP & SP 105S 

50* wedge: Edel SMS D-grind...Axiom SP 125X 

55* wedge: Edel SMS D-grind...Axiom SP 125X 

Ptr: Scotty Cameron Special Select DelMar...BGT Tour Black

GB: Titleist ProV1 Left Dash

Is anyone using these bare handed on the course or live/sim range sessions?

Any nuisances from them?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

2 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Any nuisances from them?

I’ve only hit a few balls with them with no gloves. No complaints and I’m a glove guy 100% of the time minus putting. I’ve been meaning to get out and do a full range session with no glove to get a good comparison but have been dealing with some chaos at work. Maybe tomorrow when I do my warm up before my round

7 hours ago, LeakyValve said:

I will say one of my only complaints about the on course testing is that these grips get dirty easily. Or at least show it a lot more than black grips. Which to be fair is to be expected I suppose when you have blue and neon orange grips. 

I was so impressed with the reviews I picked up some Star grips to try.  They are on the way.  I’m coming from Iomic grips.  I love the softer tacky grips, and have no reason to change bc Iomic has been great for me, but I am excited to try Star in hopes they are similar if not better and more durable.  

Thanks to the reviewers thus far.  Great info. 

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

1 hour ago, IndyBonzo said:

I was so impressed with the reviews I picked up some Star grips to try.  They are on the way.  I’m coming from Iomic grips.  I love the softer tacky grips, and have no reason to change bc Iomic has been great for me, but I am excited to try Star in hopes they are similar if not better and more durable.  

I'm a former Iomic user.  I really liked those grips, the only problems I have with them are the cost and durability.  To me the Star grips feel softer than the Iomics, and the Stars are definitely holding up better.

I am really enjoying the Star grips, and hopefully they work for you as well.

8 hours ago, IndyBonzo said:

At least they should be cheaper than the comics and they come with a 3 year warranty.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

18 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Any nuisances from them?

So I did my pre round range session without a glove and felt that they were great. Almost felt like I was wearing glove that’s how nice these grips are. Temps were cold, low 40s, and the range balls are like hitting rocks but no complaints. I ended up using a glove during my round just out of habit but did hit a few wedge shots gloveless. No complaints and I think these are a great option for people who don’t like wearing gloves. 

We did have another guy join us that my normal group plays with during the week and he commented how bright the orange was. Let him check them out and the first thing he said was “wow I’ve never felt something like this before.”  When I told him how long it took to put them on and you can use them right away I think he was sold. 

FINAL REVIEW IS UP!

I mentioned it at the end of the review but I'd like to just give another huge shout out and thank you to the MGS staff for the chance to review something, as well as my fellow reviewers and all of you following along! I'll be sure to keep you all posted with updates as more rounds get played. And if there are any more questions or tests that need to be addressed feel free to let me know!

Thank you all again!!

LV!!

5 hours ago, LeakyValve said:

FINAL REVIEW IS UP!

I mentioned it at the end of the review but I'd like to just give another huge shout out and thank you to the MGS staff for the chance to review something, as well as my fellow reviewers and all of you following along! I'll be sure to keep you all posted with updates as more rounds get played. And if there are any more questions or tests that need to be addressed feel free to let me know!

Thank you all again!!

LV!!

Liked the video portion. Showed alot of the points of what I'd look for before purchasing something. 

Reading everyone's posts on tackyness , it doesn't surprise me that they attract everything like a lint roller.

I did notice that in the vide you didn't leave any room on the shaft for extra pushdown. Did you adjust that after or just tap it on the floor to set the cap?

Edited by Rob Person