Testers Wanted: CaddyDaddy The Claw Golf Gloves ×

Your Putter Decision/Testing Process

When my current putter misbehaves….. Hit putters at TPGASS (on insert any golf shop) and which ever one makes the most putts get on a short list. 

Research it a ton….. then a few weeks later during a weak moment on 17th tee after 3 putting 6 times that day ….. I buy the next putter. 

Paradym 

Sub 70 659cb irons 

Feel off the face, which is highly subjective to ones self. Because I test out putters in store, the other biggest thing is how do they perform from longer than 10 feet they have that ability in store. Will it be close to at least 10% of what the total distance of the putt was from how far away I putted. I also hate the feel of thin grips on putters, and the problem is I am noticing thick grips don't give me the same feedback as the normal smaller grips. So I may bite the bullet and switch to smaller grips.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

Being a lefty has created challenges in the Putter World but has continued to improve ever so slightly.  I have been lucky for the most part to have chosen the "right" putter a majority of my purchases but have had a couple that we just didn't jive on the course.  

I wouldn't mind doing a true fitting and seeing if it's a different outcome of what I "feel" works for me. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Up until last year, had not purchased any clubs in 20 years. Did not realize how easy & important club fitting is until I purchased my Taylor Made Stealth irons last fall. Getting fitted with 1/2” longer shafts made a big difference. 
    Had always used a generic blade putter until early last year. Switched to a cheap mallet putter early last year & made a significant improvement. Witnessing my struggles on the green, my son in law made sure I received the Odessey White Hot OG putter I am currently using. Using it in the “stock” configuration, if has improved my putting a ton. Much better feel and lead to  consistent stroke/ball contact. Used it to sink a 30+ footer a couple of weeks ago. That’s a first!

Beginning to realize how important the club fitting process is and considering taking the putter back to Golf Exchange store to see if it needs a little fine tuning.

Ted Tedeschi

Iv had a full putter fitting before and was great however it only showed what I knew and my fitter said I could put with a 2x4 as my eye for a line was very good probably because im a decorator and lines are important. However I have a horrible wobble in my back swing so have found that a large grip quietens any movement in my wrists and stops the wobble so more putts holed.  

Relax and play golf ⛳⛳⛳

Look and Feel off the face. I have to like the way it frames the ball. When my 2021 Ping Fetch putter starts going sideways on me, I make it stand in the corner and I pull out my old Ping Anser blade from 2000. It makes me concentrate just a little bit more because for me it is more difficult to hit on line. Then I go back to the Fetch. Also four or five times a week I hit fifteen putts from five feet and fifteen putts from 10 feet. It helps me tremendously with my mid range and short putts. Gitty Up!

Rogue Max Driver, Cleveland Hywood, Tour Edge E721 and a Ping Putter

BobbyGee!!!

I've never been fitted for clubs I find good putters in garage sales try them at putting greens and then decide what to use currently useing a mastergrip 415CR mallet with a standard grip and i find it the best for me 

Cobra mixed hybred iron set tm 3and5 bubble shaft woods. Cobra F6 driver

Great questions @GolfSpy MPR !

Let me see...a little history

Before MGS. I have a 25+ year old bag set blade putter,   nothing special, but worked well enough for me as a beginner.  Knew absolutely nothing about putters, other than "Hold putter, make ball go towards hole." 🤣 

Because I WANTED a new putter, I saw a silly price on RBG for a RayCook mallet, went to Academy and tried it, went back to RBG site and bought it. It looked cool to me, and never owned a mallet putter.  Worst $xx I've ever wasted.

Again, I knew nothing about putters!

Fast forward : Joined MGS, and started diving into all sorts of information,  and wow! Mind Blown!!! 🙀💥

If I ever decide I need a new putter, I would CONSIDER a full fitting that provides all of the metrics and data. There is just so much information to be absorbed and help understand which type of putter is right for you.  Face balance, toe hang, Loft, lie⁰, type of neck, shaft position and bend angle, face impact, swing arc, grip, and more!

That being said, I feel that anyone cpuld do enough of their own research and get some, possibly most, of that information to make a better decision beyond "it looks good, and works ok" but that is dependent on how much that information is important to you.

In the end, you still have to learn what your putter does, how it reacts,  moves the ball, etc. I personally feel that anyone can use any putter out there, with enough practice and determination.  

But if you can remove 50% or better of that, and successfully putt with less effort involved,  why wouldn't you?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

So this is a two-part question: what's your normal process right now for buying a putter, and what's your process for testing and deciding what putter is going in your bag?

Great thread;  simply because I love talking about putters, putting fittings, putting skills, and everything putting 🙂  

I've done multiple fittings over the years:  the basic loft/lie evaluation that just checks if the putter is flat on the ground and if you press the shaft,  an Edel fitting, iPing app, Golf Galaxy Biomech, Tomi, and multiple Puttlab fittings.  

I have worked with a putting specific coach that taught me a lot about putters and how to help figure out the right putter for how you swing the putter.  I have also read a lot off Geoff Mangum's work who will say the putter really doesn't matter and it is all the player.    As a most wanted tester for MGS I have been exposed to a lot of different putters and been able to personally evaluate their performance.    I kind of fall somewhere in the middle of the putter vs. person perspective.

Now for your questions:  

1.  From my experience I have a pretty good idea of what putter might work for me so I am comfortable buying off the shelf.   Since I love putters,  I simply like to try different designs and configurations so I buy putters for a variety of reasons; performance isn't always a main driver.  

2.   When I am experimenting with putters to decide on them I do a couple of things which help me evaluate a few of the putting skills (aim, touch, and stroke.....read isn't putter related).   When testing a putter without tech I simply put a dime about 17" inches in front of the ball and attempt to roll balls over the dime.  This helps to evaluate aim and start line.   So depending on perspective about putting,  the putter doesn't matter so you should be able to do this with any putter or the design features of the putter (neck, offset, weight, headshape, etc) will impact your ability to roll over the center of the dime.   For touch,  I put something about 20 feet away and attempt to stop balls on the object.  If the object is a ball I should be able to bump the balls into each other squarely.     From my experience doing MGS testing I find that insert or face doesn't really impact touch skills.  I do find that some designs are easier to aim than others.   And depending on the design dispersion patterns will vary.   If I am looking for the putter that will best help my game,  I look at how well I can control start line and dispersion.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My process probably isn't one to mimic. I have several putters and most all are similar designs. I rely on some basic fittings but I am aware of what styles work and don't for me now more than ever before. 

Feel is important, but not the be all end all. I learned to love the whitehot micro hinge pillow face over time. 

Forum chatter has influenced some discussion points and at least short listing products then it is finding them, trial in store and on course if possible. Take a look at the round putting stats and go from there. 

I wish I was more thorough but I have also found a comfort zone that works for me and my putting so doing too much more may be getting in my own way. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

My last two putters were purchased through two totally different processes:  being fitted and sort of leap of faith!

About three or four years ago, I decided to get fit for a putter when I was back in Western New York.  I always wondered why I tended to gravitate to face balanced mallet putters.  My time on the SAM PuttLab indicated that given my putting stroke, that faced balanced mallet putters were the ideal putter for me.  Now I knew why!  I was fitted for an Evnroll Outback putter.  Unfortunately, when it arrived, it was nothing like what I putted with at the facility or what we talked about.  After some back and forth, some modifications were made (after shipping the putter half way around the country) but the damage was done.  I putted with it for about two years and I new I had to try something new.

Next, I relied on MGS testing, staff and forum member reviews.  I decided to bite the bullet and give the LAB DF2.1 a try.  I got fit online (twice) and got my specifications.  I checked every day on the LAB outlet website for a putter that matched my specifications.  While looking at other alternative sources, I stumbled on an eBay post for one with my exact specifications.  Now, keep in mind, I never even tried a DF2.1 in my life!  However, after my last fitter experience, I was ready to take a leap of faith!  I won the auction, immediately put it in play (even without a practice session) and had a 26 putt round.  I liked it so much, I went back on eBay and bought another one as a back up and for practice at home.

So as this thread suggests, there's several different ways to "skin the putter purchase cat"!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Great thread;  simply because I love talking about putters, putting fittings, putting skills, and everything putting 🙂  

You? Nahhhh.  I don't believe it! 

Ha! 😆 🤣 😂 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Process, what process?  I have never been fit for a putter or any other club in my bag (other than doing an online selector for the Vokey wedges).

First ever putter was assembled by my dad.  Second putter was a result of a junior camp, won a set of RH wedges (I’m LH), only Lh club in pro shop was a Ping Anser 2i, offered him $20 and the wedges for the Ping.  Used it for many years until started struggling with starting line, moved to a TM Spider without ever hitting one, but it worked well for a bit then I struggled with speed control.

Then was lucky fortunate to take part in the Ai-ONE test.  Have spent a lot of time with that putter and am loving it.

Mainly looking for control/consistency and something that I am comfortable with.  The Ai-ONE hits all the marks for me.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

"what's your normal process right now for buying a putter, and what's your process for testing and deciding what putter is going in your bag?" 

Last putter I bought 25 years ago was a 2-ball. Used it until I got my Nicent Pipe putter in a lot of several putters. 

Loved the feel and have played it for 4 years. As stated elsewhere, I got to try LA DF3 Thursday - LIFE CHANGED! 

To answer the question - hits the ball on line and doesn't cost >$150.

Considered a fitting once - $350 + the putter! Way out of my price range - HOW STUPID COULD I GET! 

The money I spend on all the other clubs and lessons and training aids etc to hit half the shots on the course. 

$560 for a DF3 and fitting is chump change comparatively - I need to get my priorities straight! 

Taylormade SIM2 Driver and 3 wood, PING 410 Hybrids (3, 4 &5) Taylormade 790 irons (7-PW), Vokey SM8 48, 52, 56, and 60 wedges and Nice to Pipe Putter

2 hours ago, ShaunieBoy652 said:

“Considered a fitting once - $350 + the putter! Way out of my price range - HOW STUPID COULD I GET! ”

Curious, what driver and fairway woods do you carry in your bag?

Edited by cajunhacker

Paradym 

Sub 70 659cb irons 

3 hours ago, ShaunieBoy652 said:

Considered a fitting once - $350 + the putter! Way out of my price range - HOW STUPID COULD I GET! 

I want to know the details behind a $350 putter fitting.   Where was this and what was the process?

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

35 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I want to know the details behind a $350 putter fitting.   Where was this and what was the process?

Second this that’s a ridiculous price for a fitting unless you are getting like an all day fitting/putting lesson. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

18 minutes ago, Preeway said:

Second this that’s a ridiculous price for a fitting unless you are getting like an all day fitting/putting lesson. 

I have seen a $600 premium putter fitting which comes with a custom built putter included and if the price of the fitted putter is less than $400 you get that difference back.  it also includes followup to validate and tweak the putter.   So the fitting is $200.   

Just now, cnosil said:

I have seen a $600 premium putter fitting which comes with a custom built putter included and if the price of the fitted putter is less than $400 you get that difference back.  it also includes followup to validate and tweak the putter.   So the fitting is $200.   

Not sure I’m good with a $200 fitting fee for any single club in my bag. If it’s a whole bag then for sure. But it seems that $50/hr is a reasonable price for a fitting. The follow up feature is a bonus too to go over any tweaks to weights or shaft after using it for a month or two. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

When testing putters or any new clubs for that matter (if I’m hitting into a net) I bring my own ball and test my ball on the greens or on the simulator. 
I usually hit a put to a hole just to see the break, then I just hit putts seeing if I can hit my spots. I definitely am a tinkerer so apparently I haven’t found a putter that will stick in my bag 😂

I went to a well known/respected local fitter, spent ~1.5 hours fitting. The eye-opening bits where: 

- Bad performance with putters I expected to like (most Scottys, unfortunately)

- Much better performance with a mid-mallet

- Mid-toe hang, mid-mallet form. 

I was also surprised to learn that I was much more of an arc-stroke putter. I expected to be a face-balance straight stroke putter. I loved the LAB Mezz, which I couldn't seem to miss with, but really missed the long alignment line. Thats how I ended up between a Mezz 1 and a PING Oslo 3. But I don't have either and am still stroking my ill-fitting 80's PING blade with funky polymer insert. The fun thing about the fitting (besides knowing which cool/fancy/new-equipment I could buy) was applying my new stroke information to my old beater putter, which has helped my putting game! Particularly in mid-range speed control. 

I'm a Broadband Putter - lots of lag!

I did a fitting at a local golf shop that was based on comfort and static measurements. I hardly hit any actual putts and just did several practice strokes. They recommended a putter that was 33.25" long and a 69* lie angle. They also recommended a face-balanced putter because my putting stroke is about as straight-back straight-through as you can get. After that, I would find a putter that was 69* lie angle and modify the length or choke up on a 34" putter. It's probably not the best way to go about things, but it at least gave me a starting point. 

Also, all of those measurements went out the window when I decided to go all-in on an armlock putter. 🤷‍♂️

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here | LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

I, like many others when they first pick up golf, lacked practice in the most important area, putting of course.

I also attempted to guess what my grip, stroke type, and preferred putter style was. This was a gross miscalculation on my part.

After some hard knocks lessons and frequent 3-putts, ballooning my score and having others in the groups I played constantly question why my ball striking ability was so far ahead of what I should produce score-wise.

I dropped my pride a notch, I asked and researched, then I went to my favorite "head pro" which of course is my Pops.

Armed with some feel for my stroke, better ideas how to be successful, and of course much needed focus on putting practice. I actually went to test at local shops after researching.

I matched a putter recommended at MyGolfSpy that seemed to fit perfectly with my newfound insight and change in preferred putter style to go with a stroke and grip change. I tested multiple times in person after finally finding the putter in stock at a golf shop a ways away.

The Cleveland HB Soft Milled w-UST shaft.

My old Odyssey EXO Seven was retired, and never to return. The results were astonishingly better, I am confident the old putter will not be making a comeback.

17128527745455328782193333525087.jpg.2afeb139700141a7c70cd55bdf1e801d.jpg

Many thanks to my Pops, and MyGolfSpy.

Cheers.

Cheers.

On 4/7/2024 at 10:39 AM, Preeway said:

It was at the PGA School @ World Golf AofF, Florida. My statement was inaccurate, the putter was NOT included - I'd have seriously considered it. With how much putter prices have increased since then (3 years ago), that's a steal by today's numbers.

Taylormade SIM2 Driver and 3 wood, PING 410 Hybrids (3, 4 &5) Taylormade 790 irons (7-PW), Vokey SM8 48, 52, 56, and 60 wedges and Nice to Pipe Putter

• 2 weeks later...

My only putter "fitting" was during a lesson a while back when my coach had me hit a few putts with my gamer at the time and then had me hit a few with a face balanced putter and it was a night and day difference. Went out and got a TM Spider and my putting has improved a lot but still having some struggles with speed and overall control. I'm going to go through an actual fitting in the next few months with a complete open mind to brands, head shape, style (conventional, counterbalanced, armlock, etc but would not be opposed to trying CB or armlock style, my backup is a DIY armlock that I need to add some wight to the head.)

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

I had never heard of ExPutt before so I did a little research...I didn't realize @cnosil was such a babe.

Screenshot2024-04-22at9_01_30PM.png.3c9b3d8a64cb143a195f9a06d5c930f8.png

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: 2023 ProV1x / 2024 Vice Pro Plus

1 hour ago, brogies said:

I had never heard of ExPutt before so I did a little research...I didn't realize @cnosil was such a babe.

Screenshot2024-04-22at9_01_30PM.png.3c9b3d8a64cb143a195f9a06d5c930f8.png

Hey Chris! How come you don't dress like that for us in the community call??