Garmin watch or Rangefinder?

I bought a cheap rangefinder on Amazon. I had been using my watch for a while, and while front, center and back of green is helpful, as a high handicapper, having an exact distance to the pin with slope, has been incredibly helpful. I still aim mostly for center green, but if the pin is in the back I will change my club accordingly. 

I'm looking to upgrade my rangefinder soon. The flag capture is pretty weak, and after using someone else's rangefinder that had better flag grab, I think stabilization etc. I find it worth it.

"In fact , we both tend to hold the Midwestern stoic view that genuine problems are solved with action, not pissing and moaning. If you run around sharing your feelings too much, you'll eventually arrive at a place where you're not only still screwed up, but now everyone knows about it, too." - John Gierach - Sex, Death and Fly Fishing

Echoing what many others have said here - I have both and rarely find myself reaching for my rangefinder. I find the Garmin input is accurate enough, and really like the other features I get with the watch. I'm also in favor of it being strapped to my wrist, as I've been known to leave things in the cart (specifically my Bushnell Wingman 😩)

I do think the rangefinder is useful in some circumstances, such as the distance to the group ahead (as others have said), and laying up/punching out of trouble. While you can change the "target" on your watch, you can't get exact distances to specific landmarks on the course like you can with a rangefinder.

WITB:

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx 9* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Kuro Kage 70g Stiff Shaft

3 Wood - :cobra-small: LTDx 15* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Tensei 75g Stiff Shaft

7 Wood -  :callaway-small: Triple🔹20* w/ Project X Denali Black 70g Stiff Shaft

Irons (PW-4 Iron) -  :taylormade-small: P790 w/ Oban 115g X-Stiff Shafts

Wedges (50, 54, 58) - :vokey-small: SM9

Putter - :bettinardi-small: Studio Stock 28 Armlock w/ Super Stroke Grip

On 4/29/2024 at 3:02 PM, hack62tpi said:

I prefer my Garmin approach S20 because it is very simple to use and get the information I need.

Would agree with this but can see where a rangefinder would be handy for lay up distances, especially on new courses. 

Driver - Top Flite Gamer

Driver - TM SLDR MD 16*

Fairway - Cobra Baffler 5W

Hybrid - Ping G10 4h, 5h

Irons - Ping i200 6-P

AW - TM Aeroburner

SW - Lynx Silver Cat

Putter - Evnroll ER2

Posted (edited)

I have all the toys in my bag ( gps watch, rangefinder and arccos) and use my watch 95% of the time.  It's just easiest and fastest since it's right there on my wrist.  If I'm actually in a position where I can  go at a pin (8 iron or less in) and it makes sense to do so, then I'll shoot it with the rangefinder to get an exact distance with the slope.  I also use it to shoot the group in front like others mentioned. 

I use my arccos the least because I try to stay off my phone as much as possible while playing the hole.  I'll usually only pull it out if I need to know the distance to a dog leg or am not trusting the carry over water number I'm getting from watch.  Same with distance over a bunker when there are many since the watch doesn't get that specific about which bunker it's providing distance to.

As for a recommendation, I reviewed the precision pro NX10 2 years ago and have been very pleased with it this entire time.  It replaced a Bushnell tour V2 from ~2008 and over never had any thoughts about going back.  The channel status in my range bag now and the PP goes to the course

Edited by ChitownM2

I'll echo a lot of others, I have both and my watch is my go-to. It's just easier. I'll use the rangefinder to shoot hazards and pins that are severely uphill or downhill to get slope, but those are pretty much the only times I'll use it.

As far as rangefinders - avoid TecTecTec. Garmin, Precision Pro, Bushnell are all good options. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

• 2 weeks later...

I personally use the Shot Scope H4 for my GPS needs as it provides scores and stat tracking as well. Since it is really finicky sometimes, especially when pins have been moved on the regular Par 3 course that I play (distances change daily), so I have a basic Mileseey rangefinder that I can also use(really cheap, great value for money, illegal in tournament play) which gives me some really wholesome coverage should I need it. 

Still doesn't better my hitting though.

:ping-small: G 425 Max 10.5 degree

:wilson-small: SGI 5W, 5H

:ping-small: 4-5 iron

:wilson-small: SGI 6-9iron

:wilson-small: SGI PW, SW

Pinemeadow 60 degree

:wilson-small: SGI Putter

:wilson-small: F.L.I. Golf Balls

#LeftyGang

I use both for different things.  Garmin S62 watch, although not as happy with it as previous models.  Garmin laser range finder.  It let's me know where flag is on green and distance I need to carry something.

GPS is not that accurate.  And this S62, while i get some good info from it, has some challenges.  May get replaced if i find better model.

<p>Driver:  Callaway Epic 9 deg, Graphite design shaft stiff</p><p>Fairway:  TM M1v17/p><p>Irons:  Mission Hot Milled regular, 5 thru sw, TM Putter:  face</p><p>Ball:  Titelist Pro V1 or chrome soft X

I use a watch and oddly I also also use the USGA/GHIN app function for some distance info if needed. I have found the rangefinder to be too slow, and I don't own one. Just a matter of habit, I guess. Best, -Marv

I use both. The rangefinder is critical, the watch is nice, but definitely can't replace it. Where rangefinders can't match the Garmin or similar apps is unsighted. If you're hitting over a corner,  the watch will give you the distance, the range finder can’t. 

TSR2 9° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR Stiff  
TSR2 15° HZRDUS Black Stiff
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black Stiff
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black Stiff
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black Stiff
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips
Taylormade TP5

13 minutes ago, golfnut3567 said:

GPS is not that accurate.  

You're right, of course, but it's still my preference.
Back in the Bronze Age, Donald Ross designed our course with NO blind approach shots.

Of course, in doing so, Mr. Ross never imagined some of the places I have hit my tee shots,
many of which preclude using a rangefinder.

Sometimes GPS doesn't even know which green I'm trying to visit.

in flux

Like many others I use both -- Nikon CoolShot 20i and Shot Scope V5 watch.  The Nikon was my first piece of golf-related "technology" a few years back 2022 -- still using original battery!).  Recently got the V5 for GPS and shot tracking.

I use the watch on almost every shot and the Nikon for more precise numbers (doglegs, hazards, tricky hole locations).  Don't regret either purchase.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

They serve different purposes, so need both. Laser to items that are above ground and GPS over and short of hazards to points on the FW. Need a GPS that allows map manipulation IMO.

WITB T3 Driver, T3 3 wood, 5 wood, hybrids, Mizuno 923 irons, vokey wedges, Scotty 009 putter

Use a V3 and a rangefinder.  Sometimes use the GHIN app on unfamiliar courses or if I don’t have the V3 with me.  Mainly use the watch and rarely use the rangefinder when playing alone.  In a group I’ll shoot pins when I hear a playing partner give a yardage that doesn’t agree with the watch.

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

Like a couple of others have posted, I have the Garmin Approach S20 (love how it works with Garmin Golf App) as well as the Precision Pro NX9 range finder (which I have interestingly enough “left” on the cart a couple of times).  The S20 is great about F-M-B distances, can move the pin for a more precise pin location and gives good hazards distances.  The NX9 is great for precise flags and slopes as well as figuring dogleg tree lines.  Rule of thumb: S20 is always in play as it serves as my recorder of distances covered by the clubs and the NX9 is great for those bends, up and downs especially on the less familiar courses.  

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Currently using a shot scope V3 watch after it was given as a gift and I love it, the shot tracking feature is super nice when it functions properly but I’m sure that’s more user error than the watch itself

I am become slice, the misser of fairways

Currently using Garmin Approach 40, when I began using it, I used it for everything in my round but this year just using it for attempting to know where the trouble is and find myself using a range finder to zap the flag. Also been using the range finder to help with lay up distances to get a wedge in my hands on longer holes vs swinging a longer club with more risk of trouble or spraying the ball. I really like my watch though, the data in the Garmin app is great to see. I've been thinking about getting the club tags/sensors to get a little more data. As a 14 handicap I'm not sure that data will help me currently though. If you have the means to use both, do it. If you have to only pick one, I'd pick the range finder.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Grip it, Rip it, Find it, Hit it again!

I use both. 

Watch handles 90% of my needs but the range finder is the best for targets short of the green. Like fairway bunkers or dog legs

Callaway woods

Talotlormade irons

Vokey wedges

I use a Bushnell V5 range finder and a Skycaddie for front/middle/back.

Titleist TSR2 10 degree with Ventus Blue 6S

Callaway Super Hybrid 2H VA Slay 85 Stiff

Callaway Super Hybrid 3H 

Srixon ZX 23* -4 driving iron - Aerotech Steelfiber I95 S

Srixon MKII ZX5 (5-A) - Aerotech Steelfiber I95 S

Bettinardi (54, 58)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5S

I’ve used both my Garmin GPS watch & laser range finder for years. Since I walk most of my golf rounds, the GPS watch provides me similar information that a rider gets w/golf cart installed GPS. I use the laser to know more precise yardage to the pin on approach shots. I also compare the laser measured yardage to my GPS watch to add confidence to the laser yardage & know the pins location is front, back, or middle. This comparison is especially useful when playing course I’m less familiar with. 

Don Figgins

On 2/28/2024 at 8:11 AM, Wheelieb said:

Today marks my 19 years in the Navy. Time has flown by for sure when looking back at it.

I've traveled the world clubs in hand. Thought Castle Stewart was better than The OLD Course. 

I have a Garmin Fenix 7X and a Bushnell Tour X.  I use both.  Precision measurement w the rangefinder on Par 3s and into greens when needed.  I rely on the watch for FMB when I need general info and to decide a number off the tee.  Pffffff like it helps....LOL 

🦖 

Titleist 712 MBs PXG 3w Scotty Golo

Titleist ProV1x

I use the GHIN software and my Apple Watch.  The only negative I have is the battery life of the watch is only 27 holes.  The app itself is outstanding.

I use the GHIN software and my Apple Watch.  The only negative I have is the battery life of the watch is only 27 holes.  The app itself is outstanding.

Self proclaimed gadget nut.

Currently using Apple Watch Ultra (1st gen) and Golf Shot GPS as the app (pretty much the same price as a premium multi-sport Garmin Watch) .  The app is great as it gives a great view of the hole layout and all distances to hazards off the tee and for approach shots it gives front, middle and back of green yardages.  Have been diving into the Stroked Gained and shot tracking section a little bit more and am finding it helpful, have to remember to set the pin location from the watch when on the green and also pace out my putts for more accurate stats.  The shot tracking is really accurate if you set your distances for each club correctly.  I upgraded from Apple Watch Series 4 to the Ultra due to the battery life as I could barely make it through one round of golf before the old watch died.  Ultra battery life is crazy good and I can play golf and still have battery for the rest of the day. 

Also, use a Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder for getting distances to pins.  Most of the time I play better when I just rely on hitting the middle of greens using the watch yardages.  Would consider a rangefinder with slope as that would come in handy on the courses I play.   

MHancherow

WITB

:ping-small: G410 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6S 

:titleist-small: 917F 3 Wood Diamana stiff 

:ping-small: G425 2 hybrid stock stiff shaft 

:titleist-small: U500 3-Iron Hazardous RDX Smoke Shaft Stiff

:titleist-small: T100 5-GW, :accra: ISeries Steel 115i

:vokey-small: Wedges 54/12 D-Grind, 58/10 S-grind

I don't like to carry too much stuff around with me. Don't wear a watch so that would never fly. I personally use an Izzo Swami 6000. It is accurate enough for me +- 2-3 yards is more than close enough for my game. My only con about lasers is I see an awful lot of people use them, then re-shoot the distance, then move a foot and re-shoot. Then of course, a buddy has to come over and try also. Then they shoot and are 50 yards off anyway. Just sayin.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I use TecTecTec JLT-X range finder and on occasions use course apps. 
I also record stats on each hole to compare through the year improvements. 

Taylor Made r11 s driver, Taylor Made Sim Max 3 wood, pinemeadow 5 wood, Callaway rogue x 4-A wedge, spinner lob wedge, Taylor made r7 draw sand wedge ping anser 2 putter. Play Birdsfoot golf club. 

Forgot to thank MGS for the opportunity to submit to perhaps test the range finder. Would be interesting to compare with TecTecTec. This brand of range finder is my second one in this TecTecTec line. One thing is I don’t always pull out range finder because I know course very well. 
I would however utilize testing specific action with accuracy, to the best of my ability. Now here is a chance for me to apply Kizen. Awesome 😎 

Taylor Made r11 s driver, Taylor Made Sim Max 3 wood, pinemeadow 5 wood, Callaway rogue x 4-A wedge, spinner lob wedge, Taylor made r7 draw sand wedge ping anser 2 putter. Play Birdsfoot golf club. 

I prefer the rangefinder as I dont like anything on my wrist when im playing golf.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.