Testers Wanted: Sun Mountain Stand Bag and Travel Bag ×

Do you still carry a 5-iron?

Am 62, still carry a 5 iron. Then a 4-crossover, 3h and 5w. Depending on wind I may insert a 4h, 7w, or 3w. 

TSR 3 driver and 5 wood. Ping 425 7 wood. Callaway Maverick 3 wood, Cobra 5-9 mim irons, 4 wedges (TM high toe, Cleveland and Vokey’s) going from 46* -58. Putter changes lots. 

9 hours ago, TK_ said:

Now, I hit my ball high naturally. So I have to ask, have you run into trouble dealing with wind? Windy days kill my score.

I find that it is actually easier to hit a more solid stinger with those hybrids. The trick is to slow down just a tad so the ball gets less spin and doesn't climb quite as much.

😧 Callaway GBB Epic Sub-Zero 8º, Project X Hzrdus T800, 5.5, 58g

3W: Callaway X Hot Pro 15º, Project X PXv Tour 52, 5.5

3h, 4h: Callaway X Hot Pro, Project X PXv Tour 52, 5.5

5h: Apex Pro 21, Mitsubishi MMT 70 HB, R

6i-A: Apex Pro 21, Aerotech SteelFiber 70cw, R

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 56º 8M, 60º 4L

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Futura x7, 3º, 10g~30g depending on green speed

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Bag: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag

Launch Monitor: Garmin Approach R10

8 hours ago, Skrizan said:

After getting 3 and 4 Hybrids years ago I ditched the 4 iron.  I still have 5 iron but toyed with getting 5 hybrid.  Seeing the comments here I was thinking it was a no-brainer.  Until I saw this one...  I have a hard time hitting my Hybrids anything but dead straight.  But I can put a fade on my 5 and 6 iron when needed.  I can still hit the 5 pretty decent when I am swinging well.  Stuck the center of the green into a stiff wind last night with it!

I have never got along with hybrids, but have found success with driving irons.  I have a 3 and 4 U510, have struggled a bit with it and has been out of the bag for a bit, considering putting it back in.  But, the 5 iron isn’t going anywhere!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

42 minutes ago, Bisucas said:

I find that it is actually easier to hit a more solid stinger with those hybrids. The trick is to slow down just a tad so the ball gets less spin and doesn't climb quite as much.

Slow down, got it. I will definitely try!

- TK

I replaced 3, 4 and 5 iron with hybrids.  Then last year I replaced 6 thru pitching wedge with hybrids.  In 2 years my index went from 12 to 9.

Driver:  Honma BeZeal 9.5 degree S flex

FW:  PXG 0211 3 Wood, Ping G 19 degree hybrid

Irons: Giga Golf Reva 3-PW stiff UST 70 gram shafts,  Mizuno t-7 52degree

SW:  Mizuno T22 55 degree

Putter:  Inazone Stand up

Posted (edited)

Had a huge hole between my 6 iron which I liked and 4 hybrid which I LOVE

My 5 iron was hit and hope.  I’d only pull it out if the risk was minimal.  Zero trust. 

Got a 5h - and was set. Garmin data shows it filled the gap perfectly. 

(53 years old)

IMG_5855.png

Edited by mantan

I just took the 5 iron out of my bag, for whatever reason I just cannot hit the iron so I put a7 wood i9nthe bag . It seems easier to hit.

Try to keep up with different things happening in golf world. 

Thsnks to your web site I get alot of excellent information.

11 hours ago, Tommy E said:

These club distances are PGA Tour averages…and you don’t carry a putter? 

Putters are overrated 🤣

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

Posted (edited)

Yes, I still carry a 5-iron but it's the longest iron in my bag.

I replaced my 4-iron recently with a MacGregor MacTec 7-wood and love it! It's much easier to hit out of the rough, where my tee shots usually end up.

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag includes;

DRIVER: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
FAIRWAYS: :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv, R-Flex and :macgregor-small: 21*,
UST DHI dRVR, R-Flex
IRONS: New Level  623-CB, 5-PW, :projectx: IO, 5.5 R+Flex
WEDGES: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, :truetemper: Dynamic Gold W-Flex 

PUTTER: Ray Cook Blue Goose 
GRIPS: Lamkin Crossline (irons), Lamkin UTx (wedges), Golf Pride Z-Cord & MCC (woods)

BALL: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Traded in my 3 and 4 irons and went to a 4 Hybrid. I still use my 5 iron. Probably 3-4 shots per round. For me it's my 150-160 club.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

9 hours ago, RoverRick said:

I’m 60 and usually game 5-U i525’s but a few years ago I had knees surgery and bought G425 3-7 hybrids. I’m playing in a tournament next week and am being forced to play much longer tees. (Not too forced, I don’t have to play, which is still an option.) I will be making 30-40 yard longer approach shots into the greens. Therefore, I’m doing a practice round today  with a little different bag set up. Driver, 3 wood, 8-wedges will remain the same. But I will add a 5 wood, 4-7 G425 hybrids. I guess we will see how this works out. 

Okay, I played the longer tees today with a bag full of hybrids. Honestly, I shot the same net score as I do from the shorter tee boxes, although the shorter tees are less stressful on my body, which is why I don’t play them any more. 

I can’t say that the 5, 6 and 7 hybrids made any real difference, and will not have the 6&7 hybrids in the bag tomorrow. The jury is still out on the 5 iron. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3W  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: iCrossover 2  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: iCrossover 4 on Graphite Design AD DI 7S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

No 5 iron.  Ordered my last set of Mizunos with a 6 thru GW.  I then added a 4h and 5h (also Mizunos).  As I got older (now 62), the 5i became harder to hit.  My hybrids are my favorite clubs in the bag.

54 year old golfer returning to the game from a lengthy hiatus.  I too struggle with the 5-iron, but it fits a yardage gap for me so it stays in my bag.  My current bag looks like this:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Max (10.5 degrees)

3-wood: Adams Tight Lies 2 (15 degrees)

3-hybrid: Callaway Paradym X (18 degrees)

4-hybrid: Cleveland M4 Mashie (23 degrees)

5-iron through PW: Cleveland CG-16 Black

50, 54, 58: Cleveland CBX

Putter: Cleveland Smart Square

Ball: Usually Srixon Q-Star

The 5-iron fits into a stock yardage range for me right now of about 170-180.  I can hit a 6-iron 175 if I really get into it, and my 4-hybrid is my 185-190 weapon.  So I don't know if a 5-hybrid would make sense or not, so I am very interested in making my way through the comments here.

Getting back into regular golf after about a decade off 

Still keeping a 5i in my bag as it seems to work well for me when I need to reach a green at about 170-175 yards out.  It also serves well for those low stinger punch shots under the trees when I'm off the fairway.

My weapons of choice:

Driver: :ping-small: G430 Max 10.5

5 Wood: :ping-small: G430 Max

7Wood: :cobra-small: King F9 SpeedBack

Hybrid: :PXG: 0211, 19-degree

Irons 1: :srixon-small: ZX5, 5-GW

Irons 2: :PXG: 0211 XCOR2, 5-GW

Wedges: :vokey-small:  SM9, 52 F8 & 56 S10

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider FCG #3 Mallet

“Of all the hazards, fear is the worst.” - Sam Snead

1 hour ago, MarcoZ said:

54 year old golfer returning to the game from a lengthy hiatus.  I too struggle with the 5-iron, but it fits a yardage gap for me so it stays in my bag.  My current bag looks like this:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Max (10.5 degrees)

3-wood: Adams Tight Lies 2 (15 degrees)

3-hybrid: Callaway Paradym X (18 degrees)

4-hybrid: Cleveland M4 Mashie (23 degrees)

5-iron through PW: Cleveland CG-16 Black

50, 54, 58: Cleveland CBX

Putter: Cleveland Smart Square

Ball: Usually Srixon Q-Star

The 5-iron fits into a stock yardage range for me right now of about 170-180.  I can hit a 6-iron 175 if I really get into it, and my 4-hybrid is my 185-190 weapon.  So I don't know if a 5-hybrid would make sense or not, so I am very interested in making my way through the comments here.

You and I have similar stock yardages for the 5 and 6-iron. I never could find a hybrid that I liked for whatever reason. They always appear to set up with a closed face to me.

I'd hook them off the planet. I don't have that problem with a 7-wood.

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag includes;

DRIVER: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
FAIRWAYS: :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv, R-Flex and :macgregor-small: 21*,
UST DHI dRVR, R-Flex
IRONS: New Level  623-CB, 5-PW, :projectx: IO, 5.5 R+Flex
WEDGES: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, :truetemper: Dynamic Gold W-Flex 

PUTTER: Ray Cook Blue Goose 
GRIPS: Lamkin Crossline (irons), Lamkin UTx (wedges), Golf Pride Z-Cord & MCC (woods)

BALL: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

I’m gaming the Titleist t100s I love the way the long irons play. I like them so much I’m thinking of swapping my trusty 913h 2 hybrid to a t150 2 iron. 

Titleist TS2 driver, three wood, 913 hybrid, T100s 4-pw, volkey 50, 54, 60, Scotty Cameron putter 

I gave up my 5 iron 2 years ago. I use a 9 wood in it's place. I hit it more consistently than the 5 iron and I can hit my 6 iron same distance as the 5 iron. 

WITB: Taylormade M1 2017 version, M6 woods 5, 7, 9, M6 irons 6 thru gap wedge, Bombtech wedges 52, 56 and 60 degrees, Putter is Oddessy 2 ball Oworks. Kirkland balls.

36 minutes ago, SpencerStroderd said:

I’m gaming the Titleist t100s I love the way the long irons play. I like them so much I’m thinking of swapping my trusty 913h 2 hybrid to a t150 2 iron. 

Definitely try the T200 Utility before pulling the trigger on the T150 - they're awesome long irons. I'm sure T150 would be great too, but the T200 Utility build almost feels like cheating.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 8* w/Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6X or Terra Forza Yellow+ (MGS Test in Progress!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

As I move into my 60s, with the wisdom of my clubmaker, I'm confident that with playing my 4 iron to 5 iron length, and having two 5 irons (playing one 5 iron at regular length and the other at 4 iron length. At 22.5 degrees, that also gives me a new driving iron. I can still play my 5 irons as consistent as I did in my younger days. And having the 4 iron at 5 iron length with the two 5 irons will be a huge bonus for me!

8 hours ago, ChiefMikeOfficer said:

Definitely try the T200 Utility before pulling the trigger on the T150 - they're awesome long irons. I'm sure T150 would be great too, but the T200 Utility build almost feels like cheating.

Typo meant to put T200 Utility. I’ve hit it before and can’t agree more. 

Titleist TS2 driver, three wood, 913 hybrid, T100s 4-pw, volkey 50, 54, 60, Scotty Cameron putter 

Doesn’t Alice Cooper only use hybrids?

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

39 and I have no hybrids in the bag currently. Swapped my 2 hybrid out for a 5 wood last year and started hitting my 4 iron well this year so I dropped the 4 hybrid. Provides good gapping and I like the irons better as an option out of the rough, better spin on approach shots and I feel like I have tighter dispersion. Recently bought a TM P790 UDI 2 iron that I'm playing with but have not been able to hit consistently yet. If I can get better with the club I am considering putting the 2 iron in the bag and dropping a wedge as another option off the tee and as an option for long shots out of the rough where a fairway wood won't work and 4 iron isn't enough. 

Am surprised how many people don't carry a 5 iron anymore in this post, but am 100% in agreeance you need to play what works best for your game.

Posted (edited)

I find the 5 iron great for punch shots.

Really easy to keep low. Works better for me than a hybrid for this purpose 

It is my 14th club. Meaning it's on the short list if I need a new and different club.

Edited by Mr Lundt

Callaway woods

Talotlormade irons

Vokey wedges