How do you recover from a bad round?

It's been a long while since I had one of those WTH just happened round, but I had one this past Wednesday in my 9 hole league.  You can read a bit more details here:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/6351-howd-you-play/?do=findComment&comment=1084350

What made it worse was it just came out of the blue, range time the night before everything was firing on all cylinders, the practice time on the putting surface didn't hint of the Titanic level self destruction that was on the horizon.  @Golfspy_CG2 said to "Let it go".   So how do you recover from a bad round? What do you do to get back into the "swing" of things?

Edited by MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1x / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: Titan Elite

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Current MyGolfSpy Review - Precision Pro Titan Elite Rangefinder:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/64979-testers-announced-precision-pro-titan-elite/?do=findComment&comment=1082733

I’d say we all have those days where nothing is working and while it is sometimes easier said than done we just have to put it behind us.  

During a round that is going south I try to focus on tempo and maybe trying to shorten up the swing and hit 3/4 shots.   Basically alll aspects of my game go downhill when I get quick and overswing.  How do you get past it after the round? you just have to accept the bad round and mentally know you can play better golf.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Honestly I pretty much don't do anything different. If I know the round was caused by a specific swing flaw that has crept back in, I'll hit the range to work on it. But all in all, golf is hard. Bad rounds will happen. And a bad round on the course is still better than a good day in the office 😉

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

14 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

And a bad round on the course is still better than a good day in the office

Ya Mon!!!

That's actually a big part of it - the mental coaches say to have an "attitude of gratitude" .. simply for being able to get outside and play a game you love. 

Me? I remind myself that I'm not that good and still working on it, and that golf is a very hard and very fickle game...

...there absolutely and necessarily *will* be ups and downs....

..and then there's the 19th Hole 😄🍻

Ha but next time I pick up a club it's back to basics slow motion drills (not hitting a ball) and then starting with slow motion chipping and pitching at the range. 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

Hmmmm, tough question, but I usually take a week off after a horrible round. It’s hard to shake them. Sometimes because of multi day tournaments, I just try to forget the bad round. I try to get back in my routine and find one thing to focus on 100%. Usually it’s driving the ball. I find that when I focus on only one thing the others seem to take care of themselves. Just my way.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* or EPIC Max LS 10.5* or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* 

Woods: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpg Mini or TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png Mini BRNR

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H, 4H, 5H 

Irons: NL.png.a16c1db32eb8495938c8958152d9be4c.png902PD 

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* 

Putter: SM.jpg.6ec6e268aa1364f355b3f10b9901b64e.jpgBlack MiniGiant 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

In the middle of a round, just try to find something that works and keep things simple.

Afterwards, drink heavily to forget it!  Just kidding, can be tough but try to see what good was in the round…trying to stay positive.

One bad round can just be an anomaly, a few are a trend!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Honestly I pretty much don't do anything different. If I know the round was caused by a specific swing flaw that has crept back in, I'll hit the range to work on it. But all in all, golf is hard. Bad rounds will happen. And a bad round on the course is still better than a good day in the office 😉

Yeppers…. A horrid day at the golf course is still heaven compared to returning to the hades like environment of the realm of her high highness… 

I will embrace being a failure on the golf course everyday, every time, in every way… It is still a better sanctuary than a Cartel stronghold from the feared “ You-know-who “ 

From the Little Red Book - 

If you play bad once, forget it.

Twice - go to the range and review basics grips, stance etc.

Three Times - Go see your pro.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Change the adjustable settings on my driver!

Play the next day.

Something for most of you to look forward to, when you are retired, there is no such thing as a really "bad" round!

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Once I decompress from the frustration of the round, I take some time and deep clean and reorganize my clubs and bag; literally "wash-off" the bad round. I started doing this a couple of years ago and it's just been my go-to process. I tend to approach the next round with a fresh feel. 

Driver:    :callaway-small: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver w/ fujikura ventus blue 6-series 
Fairway:   :cobra-small: King F8 3 wood  
Hybrids:   :cobra-small: King F9 3 hybrid 19.5° Atmos 7s stiff      
Irons:       :mizuno-small:Pro 243 4-PW Nippon Pro Modus Tour 120
Wedges: :Sub70: TAIII Forged Wedge Black 50°, 54°, 58°
Putter:    :Sub70: 004 Mallet w/ SuperStroke Zynergy 5.0

Ball:  Pro Plus (white & drip)

Today I shot a 47/37:84. That’s right. I should have given up after 9, but I kept trying and ironed out 8 straight pars followed by a bogey. One of the reasons for the bad 9 was I switched putters last night from a blade to a mallet. That, however had nothing to do with my drives on the first three holes….all pulling left with three lost balls in three holes. I had a lot to make up for and did pretty good with only 29 putts for the day.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER2 w/Gravity Grip or  ER6 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip or Tommy Armour Impact No. 3

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Bridgestone RXS Mindset, Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

If I had to "recover" from a bad round, I'd probably have to give up golf.

I just have a drink in the clubhouse and say,
"Well, I got THAT round out of my system.
I can't possibly play that horrifically next time out."

Sometimes I'm wrong about that,
but there's another "next time" to follow.

Earlier this season, I had a blow up round where I started off strong but on a long par 5 the wheels just came off. Ended up an 8, and then it took me a couple more holes to finally get back into the right mental state. 

That said, I try to remind myself that my next shot has nothing to do with my previous shot. So I try to play one stroke at a time, and don’t make big adjustments during a round. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

Worrying about something that’s happened and can’t be changed is wasting energy.

Just like dealing with a bad shot, you put it out of your mind and focus on the task at hand. Your support for family isn’t tied to your success in your 9 hole league, weekend rounds or even your practice rounds. So worrying about it has no benefit.

Analyze what went wrong and develop a practice plan then forget about the round

I liked what @Stereotype suggested. Clean the clubs not worry about the round past. I like to look at a round performance earlier in the year as a reminder that "I can do it"

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

As the saying goes “Be a goldfish”. Good chance to reflect on what happened, but key word is reflect, not dwell. Short term memory then move on. I’ll try to focus on dry fire swings and go back to the basics. My playing partner in league always reminds me “No sorry, shoulda, woulda or coulda… Next shot!”

Often times I find my bad rounds are due to rushing. I think there is so much emphasis on pace of play that I feel like I slow things down if I take proper time for pre shot processes. But in reality, these processes allow me to hit better shots and not march back and forth looking for balls. (Which definitely slows things down)

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

My head of operations had a saying:  "Once is an accident, twice is coincidence and three times is a trend."  I've always used that philosophy in golf as well.

When I have a bad round, I look at what happened, make one or two notes and then forget about it.  Too often, I've found that worrying too much about one bad round can create doubt, over analyzing and often lead to another bad one.   Forget the bad round and if it's the third time, and it may be a trend, seek professional help.

Edited by Golf2Much
Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

I always try and just focus on one thing that I know helps my swing.  Depending on where my mis-hits are will determine that one thing.  It usually comes down to tempo for me.  So in that case, I have certain songs in my head that have good golf tempo.  I think of one and it can help.  But sometimes the golf gods determine you are in for a bad round. 🤣

Jim Lemmon

AKA, Discolemmonade

I usually cheer myself up by realizing that if 4-5 things had gone differently I would have had a better than average day. That's usually how I have bad days, I don't get breaks, rim out a few putts, have a bad bunker hole. I try to keep expectations on the range so I don't put pressure on myself in the first place. That helps me remain ware that bad rounds happen.

Driver/3W:callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 8 Deg

3H:titleist-small:  - TSi2

4U:mizuno-small: - Mizuno Fli-Hi

5-GW:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Project X LZ 120g

56/60 :vokey-small: - SM9 KBS Tour Taper 120g

Ball:titleist-small: - ProV1x Left Dash

3 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

My head of operations had a saying:  "Once is an accident, twice is coincidence and three times is a trend."  I've always used that philosophy in golf as well.

When I have a bad round, I look at what happened, make one or two notes and then forget about it.  Too often, I've found that worrying too much about one bad round can create doubt, over analyzing and often lead to another bad one.   Forget the bad round and if it's the third time, and it may be a trend, seek professional help.

That's a fantastic perspective, you rarely have 3-4 "bad" rounds in a row and if you do it's definitely worth a recalibration from a professional. 

Driver:    :callaway-small: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver w/ fujikura ventus blue 6-series 
Fairway:   :cobra-small: King F8 3 wood  
Hybrids:   :cobra-small: King F9 3 hybrid 19.5° Atmos 7s stiff      
Irons:       :mizuno-small:Pro 243 4-PW Nippon Pro Modus Tour 120
Wedges: :Sub70: TAIII Forged Wedge Black 50°, 54°, 58°
Putter:    :Sub70: 004 Mallet w/ SuperStroke Zynergy 5.0

Ball:  Pro Plus (white & drip)

Lately, I've been trying to find one positive from each round as a takeaway. Making a birdie, getting under a target number of putts, hitting a drive a certain distance, a sand save, something. Even when I have a bad round, if I can identify progress toward my goals, I can feel good about it.

PXG 0211 driver, 5w, 6i-PW, GW, SW; Titleist H1 4h; Odyssey White Hot mallet.

Sometimes we just have to accept bad rounds; even the best in the world have bad rounds.   You know what you are capable of doing on the course and just need to relax and let it happen.   

image.png.94e485c0df263ee0e70251589954c240.png

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 years ago I would have told you I'd hit the range and try to work out what went wrong. Now what I find works best is to sit down after the round, have a beer with the friends I played with, and dethatch from the round and enjoy the moment. I have burnt myself out of golf more than one time and the thing I find that helps most is to not take it to seriously.