Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Rebuilding my 710 AP2's

I have a set of 710 Ap2's from Titleist. I bought them new in 2010, and at that time my swing speed was a lot slower. They currently have KBS Tour fst shafts in them which are about 105 gram weight. I need a stiffer option as well as more weight. I am looking at DG X100 or KBS tour 130 and I would like to buy shaft pulls instead of new shafts. However, I looked on Titleist's website and found that standard length on AP2 5 iron is 38" is that shaft only or the playing length with grip and all? Also any advice on the build process would be appreciated! 

5.2 Handicap

WITB

Driver: Sim Max 10.5

3 Metal: R11s

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 AP2

Wedges:

52 Vokey SM5

56 Callaway Jaws

60 Vokey SM8

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour

2 hours ago, Aaron White said:

However, I looked on Titleist's website and found that standard length on AP2 5 iron is 38" is that shaft only or the playing length with grip and all? Also any advice on the build process would be appreciated! 

Some manufacturers measure a clubs length a little differently but when they provide a length on the website it is the finished length with head and grip.   The thing to consider when looking for pulls is that the hosel depth for irons are different and if the pulls are from say a TaylorMAde club the actual shaft lengths may be different.   Make sure you KNOW the length of the current shafts to ensure you get the right length.   

What do you want to know about the build process?   @McGolf is our resident club builder; along with a few others, and has a YouTube channel that can help answer your questions.  Or you can ask specific questions on here

https://www.youtube.com/@McGolf

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 6/17/2024 at 7:51 PM, cnosil said:

Some manufacturers measure a clubs length a little differently but when they provide a length on the website it is the finished length with head and grip.   The thing to consider when looking for pulls is that the hosel depth for irons are different and if the pulls are from say a TaylorMAde club the actual shaft lengths may be different.   Make sure you KNOW the length of the current shafts to ensure you get the right length.   

What do you want to know about the build process?   @McGolf is our resident club builder; along with a few others, and has a YouTube channel that can help answer your questions.  Or you can ask specific questions on here

https://www.youtube.com/@McGolf

This will be my first build! I did find some shafts. I pulled two of my current shafts and we made sure the lengths matched. It seems like a pretty straight forward process though. I just need to go pick up a vice because I’m sure this won’t be my last time.

5.2 Handicap

WITB

Wedges:

52 Vokey SM5

56 Callaway Jaws

60 Vokey SM8

• 2 weeks later...

So good! Well done!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Wow! I have a old set of 710 and 712s. Got me thinking!

Incredible recovery shots are set up by an equally incredible miss.

D-    Cobra Aerojet 8.0 Hzrdus Blue S.

FW-  Callaway Mavrik 3&5 wood

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Callaway Epic forged E19 4-GW

Taylormade MG 3 56 degree 10 bounce (personal grind to 6 degrees or so)

Cameron Furtura F5r  / Odessey Ai One Three T

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

5 hours ago, Triple_Putt said:

Looks fantastic! How are you hitting them now?

It is an adjustment, but is what I needed. With the lighter shafts I was able to manipulate them in ways that I should not have been. These are more stable so it allows me to be a little more consistent with direction. The main adjustment has been that the new shafts have forced me dial in my tempo which has been my main struggle for years. I could get too quick with the 100 gram shafts. So far I like the feel; however, I need some reps.

5.2 Handicap

WITB

Wedges:

52 Vokey SM5

56 Callaway Jaws

60 Vokey SM8

2 hours ago, Aaron White said:

It is an adjustment, but is what I needed. With the lighter shafts I was able to manipulate them in ways that I should not have been. These are more stable so it allows me to be a little more consistent with direction. The main adjustment has been that the new shafts have forced me dial in my tempo which has been my main struggle for years. I could get too quick with the 100 gram shafts. So far I like the feel; however, I need some reps.

Great job on the reshafting, and hopefully you get enough reps in to get tempo where it needs to be. 😎

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to Motocaddy M7 w/Remote Trolley & Bag Review

Nicely done!!!

Any Bruins or Steelers fans will be jealous!

Did you make any adjustments to the loft/lie of the head? Have to trim any shafts? Any counter or head weight added ?

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Just now, Rob Person said:

Nicely done!!!

Any Bruins or Steelers fans will be jealous!

Did you make any adjustments to the loft/lie of the head? Have to trim any shafts? Any counter or head weight added ?

I am going to go have loft and lie checked as I do not have the equipment to do so. I did not have to do any shaft trimming they were all either exact length as my old ones (I bought pulls from other Titleist irons that were standard length) I also had him measure to make sure. There were tip weights in all of the shafts, I pulled them and dry fit swing weight all of my clubs to D2 without weights which works well for me.

5.2 Handicap

WITB

Wedges:

52 Vokey SM5

56 Callaway Jaws

60 Vokey SM8

I also have found that with these shafts I am able to work the ball both ways. With my old shafts I played a small cut and found it hard to draw the ball. Since they were so light I would rush my swing and come over the top and pull one every now and again. The heavier more stable shafts seem to allow me to have more control.

5.2 Handicap

WITB

Wedges:

52 Vokey SM5

56 Callaway Jaws

60 Vokey SM8

Just now, Aaron White said:

I also have found that with these shafts I am able to work the ball both ways. With my old shafts I played a small cut and found it hard to draw the ball. Since they were so light I would rush my swing and come over the top and pull one every now and again. The heavier more stable shafts seem to allow me to have more control.

What will you do with the old shafts?

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 minute ago, Rob Person said:

What will you do with the old shafts?

Right now they are sitting in an old bag with a taylormade stock ventus shaft and a broken aldila NV green from an old Callaway hybrid that I miss dearly. I may revive it

5.2 Handicap

WITB

Wedges:

52 Vokey SM5

56 Callaway Jaws

60 Vokey SM8

21 minutes ago, Aaron White said:

Makes sense!

Incredible recovery shots are set up by an equally incredible miss.

D-    Cobra Aerojet 8.0 Hzrdus Blue S.

FW-  Callaway Mavrik 3&5 wood

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Callaway Epic forged E19 4-GW

Taylormade MG 3 56 degree 10 bounce (personal grind to 6 degrees or so)

Cameron Furtura F5r  / Odessey Ai One Three T

Maxfli Tour and Tour X