Vice Golf Irons - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts in the links below!

@Tom the Golf Nut - Main Post 

@dback - Main Post 

@gingerbeast87 - Main Post 

@Splatt - Main Post

5 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

This weather is killing me. Our range has been closed for weeks now. Every time they are ready to open it up it pours. I went today and the sign was up that the range was closed. I talked to the Pro and he said they just mowed it and we can open it up. With clubs in hand, Mevo in my pocket and ready to collect some outside data I hear thunder. A quick look at the radar and a sound of the air horn and then I was done. The skies opened up again. I just checked and rain is in the forecast for the next 8 days.

Well, I guess indoor data collection will be the norm for a while. 

Brutal!  Send some rain this way.  The lake needs filling!

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

17 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Another “Range Closed” day. But the course was open so I played. Every once in a while I got to laugh. The course superintendent was out doing some daily chores on the course. I got to see him several times and the last time he pulled up to me and said “ You must get bored playing golf. I’ve been watching you and everything is down the middle of the fairway and you’ve been sticking the pin.” 
I have been called a boring golfer quite a few times. If it was only that easy. 

But let’s get to it. I was hitting well off the tee so there were a lot of short irons into the greens today.  I was either hitting the Vice Pro or the Vice Pro Air ball. Trying to figure out which I liked better. I’m leaning toward the Pro Air. I’m getting a little more height. 
Good ball spin into the greens. Everything was a one hop and stop.

IMG_0968.jpeg.e2573c6f3f4fdba2e1651c2c197425dd.jpeg

This was a 145 yard 8 iron.  Followed up with the birdie putt. I wish my putting was a little better today because I had a lot of looks at birdie. I only made four of them.  I also had two bogies.  That’s golf. 
 I’m getting used to the irons and it’s kind of a different game lately. I definitely am more confident going at tight pin locations instead of center of the green with these clubs. My proximity to the pin is closer than normal. It’s my perception though, I haven’t measured anything. But I know my putts have been shorter. I’m sure it’s due to confidence going for a pin. 
So far I’m liking the irons. I’ll need to work on hitting some of the longer irons. My normal set up stops at the 6 iron then I go to 5 hybrid, 7, 5, 3 woods and Driver.

Nice shooting @Tom the Golf Nut! I’m glad you’re enjoying the irons. 

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

20 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Now for a word of caution. I am not an iron cover fan. I use them for protection during airline travel and thats it. Upon cleaning my clubs I noticed bag chatter marks on one of the irons. These forged irons must be on the softer side. Of course the marks are on the smooth side just forward of the Vice logo. I will be one of those guys going forward. 

@Tom the Golf Nut Man those irons are working so well for you!  And, welcome to the greater community of head cover users.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

I just checked on the 50* wedge I ordered from Vice. It is stateside and actually in the right state now. Should see it in a couple of days.  You know why it will be here in a couple days. Yup traveling for work. I’m in a viscous cycle. Presents arrive while I’m away. I didn’t know one could have so many birthdays in the same year.🤣

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

9 minutes ago, gingerbeast87 said:

Please welcome the latest member of the family....

Will unbox tonight and post tonight or tomorrow. Here we go folks VGI02'S at the ready!!IMG_20240805_132537489.jpg.55ca5f05bce9f08238fc8e927474d27d.jpg

I’m excited for you! 

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

The golf gods are shining today even though it’s supposed to rain. A customer cancelled so I don’t have to travel until tomorrow. 
I got a text a little while ago from Fed Ex and my wedge is out for delivery.😀😀😀😀😀

Bonus, SWMBO is going into the club for work today so she won’t see another golf delivery. 😉

18 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

The range is still closed so I played another round with the VGI 01’s today. That's three days in a row playing golf (SHMBO is out of town). The comfort level is setting in with them. When you are getting ready for your approach shot and you say to yourself ”watch this” and you execute, it’s one of the best feelings. This was 138 yard 9 iron into a par 5.

IMG_0970.jpeg.b7de14efecf076cf90c6ae9666ae21f5.jpeg

I should have taken the photo from further back so you could see the four traps surrounding that green. Easy birdie. I did finish at two under today. I seem to be stuck there. No fault of the irons.

Im sitting at two under going into 15. I thought a blow up was staring me in the face. The 15th hole is a par 5. I hit a tree branch off the drive and it dropped straight down. I tried to nuke a 3 wood but I topped it and it went into a wire grass mound. Took a drop. Hitting 4, I went for the 3 wood again. Then actually nuked it to within 5 yards of the green. By some miracle I chipped it in for par. Then it was play safe to get to the end of the round. 

Now for a word of caution. I am not an iron cover fan. I use them for protection during airline travel and thats it. Upon cleaning my clubs I noticed bag chatter marks on one of the irons. These forged irons must be on the softer side. Of course the marks are on the smooth side just forward of the Vice logo. I will be one of those guys going forward. 

I've noticed a big of bag chatter as well - planning a how do they look after a month of heavy use update. Not sure I'm ready for iron head covers but its a situation to monitor

Driver: Cobra LTDx, HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60x, 9 Degree 

3 Wood:  Taylormade M2 (2019)

Hybrids:  Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21 degree, Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 4

Irons:  Vice VGI01s 5-pw (Vice VGI01 Review,)

Wedges:  Taylormade Milled Grind

Putter:  Odyssey #7

Ball: Vice Pro Plus, Taylormade Tp5x, Kirkland 

Shotscope v3 and 18birdies (never play a round without them!)

Garmin r10 for range sessions and winter garage golf

Push Cart Mafia - Clicgear 4.0  (See more here)

1 hour ago, dback said:

I've noticed a big of bag chatter as well - planning a how do they look after a month of heavy use update. Not sure I'm ready for iron head covers but its a situation to monitor

I use head covers so they don't clank together or risk getting damaged. Missus got me some nice 'My Neighbour Totoro' head covers.

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

29 minutes ago, gingerbeast87 said:

Unboxing Review

The Packaging

First impressions of the packaging are good.  The box build is very sturdy, it has a clever design pattern built of contour lines to create a pattern of hills with the “Wunderkind” front and center.  The graphics inside the box are also nice, and tie in well to the multitude of adverts for the clubs that have been popping up on my YouTube feed over the past few weeks :D. The packaging around the clubs is minimal but robust and very fit for purpose.  Each of the clubs are secured with a frame of cardboard, and the heads are protected by a sheath of bubble wrap. One thing that I like is that apart from the bubble wrap cover, all of the packaging is recyclable so nothing is needlessly thrown away!

Picture1.png.b7f806d4649ee6ea85572c4b32b7143b.pngPicture2.png.7ca6972120380166719785579ed14c4e.pngPicture3.png.148f8030b7474ab75286ce26b03aac5b.png

Club Aesthetics

As I opened the box the bright color of the shafts pop out at the eye, lime green was definitely the way to go.  I chose the dark green ferrule to add a little contrast to the bright green of the shafts and club backs.  Once the protective covers come off of the heads the backs show their colors wonderfully.  The design on the back is really clever as well, mirroring the box’s use of contour lines to create a really unique look.

Picture4.png.a81435afafa01329f9a80c240f0d47f3.pngPicture5.png.e1b9e435bcc1978c16f25bd4bb532791.png

The overall shape of the club head is one that is nicely rounded and of soft edges.  One thing I noticed is that the hosel is slightly shorter on the wedges but longer on the irons than the ones on my existing clubs (I used my sand wedges to give an idea below):

Picture6.png.a0ae37570e24ca60e8d759e9ad53e9c5.pngPicture7.png.9460c06f66bd669523cf9354f6bc7ee1.png

I also noticed that the sand wedge doesn’t seem to have the same rounded backing on the foot as my Rife wedges. The design seems slightly more squared off.  It will be interesting to see how this will work in the sand traps.

Picture8.png.2cc386a8a1ebc61ae0dfaf83ea8de02d.png

The shafts of the club are also longer than my existing ones.  As I have never been fitted for clubs before, I am excited to see how the change affects my game.

Picture9.png.9842b018994196d9c72528ef50bec0d1.png

Weight-wise I found the approach wedge was a total of 16g lighter than my existing Cobra King F8’s.  I am hoping that the lighter shaft combined with the weight of the head helps keep the head down on the swing.

I put the two approach wedges next to each other and could see at rest that the Vice wedge was slightly more open than the Cobra.  It’s a bit more noticeable to the eye than in the picture.  I look forward to seeing if that will help get the ball up and get it stopping any quicker than when I use the Cobras.

Picture10.png.169beb7a12d45985955fcdf2b6bab2fa.png

The Flaws

I had to look really hard to find any problems with the clubs but I spotted a couple of minor flaws on a couple of the club heads.  On the approach wedge I spotted a small chunk missing from the back along one of the edges, and on another club there looked like some discoloration in one of the contour lines on the design section of the back.  But these are two minute blemishes on an otherwise beautiful set of clubs:

Picture11.png.1510a718fde4d64d7c6c73ff9606deb9.pngPicture12.png.36c31389ed058e7bf36f0acbd8be07b4.png

How does the overall look come together?

Overall, the look is one that is bound to turn some heads at the course and get people asking about the clubs. The bright design, the unique heads, and the overall sleek design is going to cause a flare up of the old green-eyed monster in a few golfers.

Picture13.png.0253c26b9b69adc754ba5f406a8541d2.png

I am heading to the driving range tomorrow (have been very restrained and have not rushed out this evening to start hitting balls).  Will give you all the first impressions tomorrow evening or Wednesday evening depending on how long I end up staying up there :D.

Have a great evening everyone, speak soon.

Great looking clubs! I'm really going to be curious to hear your experiences with those colorful shafts and if you find them distracting at all, especially in the bright sunshine.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

28 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Great looking clubs! I'm really going to be curious to hear your experiences with those colorful shafts and if you find them distracting at all, especially in the bright sunshine.

I'm ginger mate, if my bright white noodle arms don't distract me then nothing will 🤣

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

2 hours ago, gingerbeast87 said:

Unboxing Review

The Packaging

First impressions of the packaging are good.  The box build is very sturdy, it has a clever design pattern built of contour lines to create a pattern of hills with the “Wunderkind” front and center.  The graphics inside the box are also nice, and tie in well to the multitude of adverts for the clubs that have been popping up on my YouTube feed over the past few weeks :D. The packaging around the clubs is minimal but robust and very fit for purpose.  Each of the clubs are secured with a frame of cardboard, and the heads are protected by a sheath of bubble wrap. One thing that I like is that apart from the bubble wrap cover, all of the packaging is recyclable so nothing is needlessly thrown away!

Picture1.png.b7f806d4649ee6ea85572c4b32b7143b.pngPicture2.png.7ca6972120380166719785579ed14c4e.pngPicture3.png.148f8030b7474ab75286ce26b03aac5b.png

Club Aesthetics

As I opened the box the bright color of the shafts pop out at the eye, lime green was definitely the way to go.  I chose the dark green ferrule to add a little contrast to the bright green of the shafts and club backs.  Once the protective covers come off of the heads the backs show their colors wonderfully.  The design on the back is really clever as well, mirroring the box’s use of contour lines to create a really unique look.

Picture4.png.a81435afafa01329f9a80c240f0d47f3.pngPicture5.png.e1b9e435bcc1978c16f25bd4bb532791.png

The overall shape of the club head is one that is nicely rounded and of soft edges.  One thing I noticed is that the hosel is slightly shorter on the wedges but longer on the irons than the ones on my existing clubs (I used my sand wedges to give an idea below):

Picture6.png.a0ae37570e24ca60e8d759e9ad53e9c5.pngPicture7.png.9460c06f66bd669523cf9354f6bc7ee1.png

I also noticed that the sand wedge doesn’t seem to have the same rounded backing on the foot as my Rife wedges. The design seems slightly more squared off.  It will be interesting to see how this will work in the sand traps.

The shafts of the club are also longer than my existing ones.  As I have never been fitted for clubs before, I am excited to see how the change affects my game.

Weight-wise I found the approach wedge was a total of 16g lighter than my existing Cobra King F8’s.  I am hoping that the lighter shaft combined with the weight of the head helps keep the head down on the swing.

I put the two approach wedges next to each other and could see at rest that the Vice wedge was slightly more open than the Cobra.  It’s a bit more noticeable to the eye than in the picture.  I look forward to seeing if that will help get the ball up and get it stopping any quicker than when I use the Cobras.

The Flaws

I had to look really hard to find any problems with the clubs but I spotted a couple of minor flaws on a couple of the club heads.  On the approach wedge I spotted a small chunk missing from the back along one of the edges, and on another club there looked like some discoloration in one of the contour lines on the design section of the back.  But these are two minute blemishes on an otherwise beautiful set of clubs:

Picture11.png.1510a718fde4d64d7c6c73ff9606deb9.pngPicture12.png.36c31389ed058e7bf36f0acbd8be07b4.png

Overall, the look is one that is bound to turn some heads at the course and get people asking about the clubs. The bright design, the unique heads, and the overall sleek design is going to cause a flare up of the old green-eyed monster in a few golfers.

I am heading to the driving range tomorrow (have been very restrained and have not rushed out this evening to start hitting balls).  Will give you all the first impressions tomorrow evening or Wednesday evening depending on how long I end up staying up there :D.

First off, I'm glad to see they arrived and can't wait to hear how they perform on the range and the course. 

I honestly didn't know if I would like the  bright green shafts but after seeing your photos, they're sweet!

2 hours ago, gingerbeast87 said:

Unboxing Review

The Packaging

Club Aesthetics

The Flaws

Glad to see the Vice irons arrived…looking forward to your on-course feedback with them!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

3 hours ago, gingerbeast87 said:

Unboxing Review

The Packaging

Club Aesthetics

The Flaws

The irons look great!  I hope they work out for you.  

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

Hey everyone.

Unboxing, initial impressions, and the first round with the clubs is now up.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Hybrid - :cobra-small: RadSpeed 3 Hyrbid
Irons - :vice: VGI02 5I to SW - 2024 MGS test
Wedges -  :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  :L.A.B.: - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

Welcome to the party my fellow testers. I’ve been waiting for you all. Now let’s crank up the music (the sweet sound of ball contact). 

By the way I did get my 50* wedge. I should be home by tomorrow afternoon and I’ll post some pictures. I didn’t get a chance Monday before I had to leave. 

On 8/5/2024 at 5:27 AM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

The range is still closed so I played another round with the VGI 01’s today. That's three days in a row playing golf (SHMBO is out of town). The comfort level is setting in with them. When you are getting ready for your approach shot and you say to yourself ”watch this” and you execute, it’s one of the best feelings. This was 138 yard 9 iron into a par 5.

IMG_0970.jpeg.b7de14efecf076cf90c6ae9666ae21f5.jpeg

I should have taken the photo from further back so you could see the four traps surrounding that green. Easy birdie. I did finish at two under today. I seem to be stuck there. No fault of the irons.

Im sitting at two under going into 15. I thought a blow up was staring me in the face. The 15th hole is a par 5. I hit a tree branch off the drive and it dropped straight down. I tried to nuke a 3 wood but I topped it and it went into a wire grass mound. Took a drop. Hitting 4, I went for the 3 wood again. Then actually nuked it to within 5 yards of the green. By some miracle I chipped it in for par. Then it was play safe to get to the end of the round. 

What a golf shot!  ...  interesting about the chatter marks, great to know and consider. 

WITB

Cobra F9 driver

Adams golf 2 hybrid

Mizuno 9 wood

Cleveland Zipcore XL irons 5i - GW

Pron Wedge 52/10

Mizuno T20 wedge 56/10

Wilson Harmonized wedge 60/10

Seemore putter

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

A question was raised on the community call today about what I thought about the top line thickness, or should I say thinness.

I took out a 6 iron from the Sub 70 699 Pro, a King Tour, and the Vice VGI01.

699 Pro’s measured at a .328 top line thickness. However is looks thinner due to the rounding.

King Tours measured .242

VGI01 measured .195

Looking down at the Vice club it does look thin but the weight savings is moved low. But the numbers don’t lie. The face thickness at the top line is thinner.

Definitely is thin and gives that blade look, combined with the minimal offset it has taken some adjusting too. The two things that have given me confidence are the longer face length (visible at address) and the chunky center of the cavity (not visible on most of the clubs).  The top line is thin, but the clubhead doesnt look small behind the ball in my experience with them.

2 minutes ago, dback said:

Definitely is thin and gives that blade look, combined with the minimal offset it has taken some adjusting too. The two things that have given me confidence are the longer face length (visible at address) and the chunky center of the cavity (not visible on most of the clubs).  The top line is thin, but the clubhead doesnt look small behind the ball in my experience with them.

I agree with you. I was used to minimal offset though from my King Tours. I'll take a picture of the Tours and the VGI's at address. The tours look tiny. 

Here they are compared to my Adams xtds, which are obviously game improvement. The Adams is clearly larger, more rounded and considerable offset but the hitting surface of both is pretty comparable.IMG_2366.jpeg.f63ba78fc66ad3d67769b418e193f44d.jpegIMG_2364.jpeg.e5b419375fe6833606d883962b4ffcc5.jpeg