Should You Play the Same Putter as a Tour Player?

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/should-you-play-the-same-putter-as-a-tour-player/

Interesting article on the main site this morning. Dave makes a few valid points, but what say you?

WITB:

D: :titleist-small: GT-2 10° w/ GD Tour AD-UB 6s

3W: :titleist-small: GT-3 15 Tensei Black 75 X

3h: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2.0/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

4i:mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Project X io 6.0

6i-PW:  :mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Recoil 110 f4

50,54° & 58°: :vokey-small: SM-10

P:   :L.A.B.: Link.1

Ball:  :vice: Pro Plus Drip

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Yes!

If that putter works for you and your stroke.  Marketing has done their job though, Callaway/Odyssey jumped all over the opportunity with Xander winning The Open to push product.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I putt exactly the same with every type of putter that I've ever tried. 
I putt as well as I can,
I'm not going to kill my back practicing putting for hours on end,
so I live with the level of putting skill that I have.

In a way, that turned out to be liberating.
While the pro shop has an array of putters that look like spaceships,
I've got a hickory shafted replica of a [then] very popular 1920s Spalding model,
and I actually play it.  It's a good putter.

this is the kind of stuff that makes me stop reading posts, articles and so on. I

the samething applies to amateur swings compared to each other. None of us swing the same way. What Joe 5 handicap plays probably isn’t what another 5 handicap should play. Has zero to do with a pro level swing, pro level swing speed and so on. Play what works for you and your swing, putting stroke, bunker game.

Last time I checked, I did not have a “Tour-level” swing. It seems unlikely that a Tour player’s hard-stepped X-flex driver shaft is going to improve my game. As such, I don’t spend much time exploring What’s in the Bag?type of information.

would have liked to see article talk about the fact that he went from 162 in strokes gained putting last year to currently 90th per pga website. It really doesn’t look bad for the #1 golfer. Theres alot more that goes into strokes gained and it could be pointed how the guys with the most fairways hit aren’t winning and so on.

As far as Strokes Gained putting, he is 85th.

Obviously, that stat reads worse than it is, once you consider that Scheffler has six wins this year and has made more money with his 85th-ranked putting than most of us will make in our lifetimes. He is definitely having a more lucrative year than the 84 guys making more putts than him.

But 85th in putting is still pretty rough for the No. 1 player in the world.

Prior to this season, 19th-hole discussions about Scheffler’s potential usually ended with something like, “Once he learns to putt, he will win everything.”

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

this is the kind of stuff that makes me stop reading posts, articles and so on. I

the samething applies to amateur swings compared to each other. None of us swing the same way. What Joe 5 handicap plays probably isn’t what another 5 handicap should play. Has zero to do with a pro level swing, pro level swing speed and so on. Play what works for you and your swing, putting stroke, bunker game.

Last time I checked, I did not have a “Tour-level” swing. It seems unlikely that a Tour player’s hard-stepped X-flex driver shaft is going to improve my game. As such, I don’t spend much time exploring What’s in the Bag?type of information.

would have liked to see article talk about the fact that he went from 162 in strokes gained putting last year to currently 90th per pga website. It really doesn’t look bad for the #1 golfer. Theres alot more that goes into strokes gained and it could be pointed how the guys with the most fairways hit aren’t winning and so on.

As far as Strokes Gained putting, he is 85th.

Obviously, that stat reads worse than it is, once you consider that Scheffler has six wins this year and has made more money with his 85th-ranked putting than most of us will make in our lifetimes. He is definitely having a more lucrative year than the 84 guys making more putts than him.

But 85th in putting is still pretty rough for the No. 1 player in the world.

Prior to this season, 19th-hole discussions about Scheffler’s potential usually ended with something like, “Once he learns to putt, he will win everything.”

I totally agree with this - in terms of putter make I think it makes far more sense to get fit than worrying about make/brand, etc.  For example our dear friend the retired boomer, could go for a fitting where his back issues were taken into account and find himself with a putter that is better suited to his stroke and back ergonomically.  However, he may like the putter he is currently gaming so go for it!  

In regards to Scotty's putting stats, strokes gained are about the best method we have currently - they also talk about length of putts made as well, at one time it was putts per round before that it was the eyeball test - gee he looks like a great putter.  At some point it will be something else.  When you are as good a ball striker as Scheffler you only need to be an average putter on tour to have a great deal of success - plus for him 85th, middle of the pack, on tour is an improvement over where he was at.   

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

Always a topic that interests me….putters 😂

it is an interesting debate and there multiple perspectives.  Part of me believes the putter matters to the player.  The setup of the putter influences the stroke, aim, and touch so you need the right putter.   I also believe as some point the putter doesn’t matter and it comes down to practicing the basic skills.   

get fit or practice, the ongoing debate.  But buying the putter (or any piece of equipment) a pro uses doesn’t mean you will get better performance.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The assumption is that you can get the same putter.  That's not exactly true often

Sim2 MaxD, Cobra F7 3W, Ping G400 5W, Ping G425 7W, Ping G410 5-UW, Volkey SM-9 54,58, Odyssey two ball fang putter (this changes periodically)

That may or may not be good or bad.

1 hour ago, revkev said:

I totally agree with this - in terms of putter make I think it makes far more sense to get fit than worrying about make/brand, etc.  For example our dear friend the retired boomer, could go for a fitting where his back issues were taken into account and find himself with a putter that is better suited to his stroke and back ergonomically.  However, he may like the putter he is currently gaming so go for it!  

In regards to Scotty's putting stats, strokes gained are about the best method we have currently - they also talk about length of putts made as well, at one time it was putts per round before that it was the eyeball test - gee he looks like a great putter.  At some point it will be something else.  When you are as good a ball striker as Scheffler you only need to be an average putter on tour to have a great deal of success - plus for him 85th, middle of the pack, on tour is an improvement over where he was at.   

Agree on the putter aspect. Some of us have done enough testing with countless putter styles, lengths, weights and found something that works or a multiple that do. I did a long virtual fitting that uses their app with an iPod on the shaft to get stroke data. It confirmed what I have found that works for me from a style, feel and weight perspective. 

With Scottie he’s still not a good putter but the change which was recommended by rory helped him move way up. Hes number 1 in the world because of the other strokes gained metrics that have higher weight in showing what’s important to be good on tour. The putting one iirc is about 4th or 5th in importance. If he ever got inside the top 50 for putting we might see a run of golf that we haven’t in a long time 

True with Scotty but it could be that if he devoted the time to upping his putting from mid pack to top third that other areas might suffer - he's got a winning combo right now and he may not wish to mess with it.  

Back to the Ops original point no one is going to become a better putter simply because he or she uses the same model as a pro - it's always a combo of practice and fitting and getting the right putter for putting style all of those factors - Most of us have a limited amount of practice/playing time due to other factors in our lives.  Personally I've been working hard on my long game which has improved greatly but I have not been putting in the time on my putting and short game, that's suffered as has my scoring, particularly my putting.  I was actually contemplating changing putters towards the end of yesterday's round.  That's not really the issue - I should be contemplating a little putting practice 🙂

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

45 minutes ago, revkev said:

True with Scotty but it could be that if he devoted the time to upping his putting from mid pack to top third that other areas might suffer - he's got a winning combo right now and he may not wish to mess with it.  

He was working with a putting coach before making the switch 

My takes ....

1) putt with whatever works best for you, and makes you confident you can get the ball in the hole

2) if a particular pro thought he'd putt better with a 29", purple-gripped, two sided putter stolen from Marvin's Mini Golf and Taco Truck, that baby's going in his bag.

Edited by goaliedad30

Putter fitting is finding out how much your stroke is inside out. The more inside out it is, the more toe hang you need. At least, that's what the website of Odyssey tells us. And even that is a simplification of course.

But generally: stand with any putter over a putting mirror. https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/odyssey-eyefit-mirror/ 

Look where your eyes are. That's all you need to know. Then choose the rack with the toe hang you need. And then choose the putter that you like the best, i.e. you feel most comfortable with.

And then: practice, practice, practice. 

I enjoy seeing the wide variety of putters the pros use. Mallets, blades, whatever a LAB is, counterbalanced, broomstick and so on. That, to me, is the most telling thing. There’s such a variety on tour, why wouldn’t the public experiment and use a crazy variety of putters too? To answer the question in the thread, I would say when someone says their political views reflect the ideas of the founding fathers: which one? There is no one view- it’s pluralism baby. Even if you pick a founding father, it’s like picking a pro, they change, evolve and adapt (except maybe Tiger Woods). Why wouldn’t we? 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

3 hours ago, jeroengoudswaard said:

Putter fitting is finding out how much your stroke is inside out. The more inside out it is, the more toe hang you need. At least, that's what the website of Odyssey tells us. And even that is a simplification of course.

That is an huge oversimplification; putter fitting is more that just looking at arc and people don’t always fit into the putters based in that strategy.  

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

For me, putting is about feel and confidence.  The $5 Goodwill putter that feels good in my hands and makes me think I'm going to make putts is as good as any top dollar putter played by some pro.

image.png.3b883ddb02eed4871ea9eb0079d51e22.png Aerojet LS driver

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite (currently testing New Level 480DB)

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png HB SOFT 2 Putter – Model 8C

This reminds me a lot of when everyone was buying Air Jordans to play basketball. Brilliant marketing. While I certainly shouldn’t use the same driver as Scheffler, I could certainly use the same putter. So if the putter works for you then go for it.

Or to riff on Harry Potter, “the putter chooses the player”

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

5 minutes ago, Hacker60521 said:

This reminds me a lot of when everyone was buying Air Jordans to play basketball. Brilliant marketing. While I certainly shouldn’t use the same driver as Scheffler, I could certainly use the same putter. So if the putter works for you then go for it.

Or to riff on Harry Potter, “the putter chooses the player”

What do you think makes schefflers driver special or different that what you should play?

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What do you think makes schefflers driver special or different that what you should play?

Swing speed for starters. 😜

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

6 minutes ago, Hacker60521 said:

Swing speed for starters. 😜

Guessing you are referring to his driver plus shaft and not just the head he is using. So I will agree that you probably shouldn’t play that but I would agree that alot of people even with the same swing speed as Scottie shouldn’t play it. But that also goes for amateurs playing what other amateurs play. Two amateurs with the same swing speed shouldn’t just play what the other uses based solely on their swing speeds matching, or two people of the same handicap shouldn’t just play what another person with the same handicap plays.

Swing speed isn’t even close to the top of the things to base a golf shaft or shaft plus head combo on. there are several lpga golfers using  x flex shafts that are designed with stiffer tips. Their swing speeds are even slower than Scottie’s. They’re averaging 275 or less total distance. There are many amateurs with that dosages replaying similar shafts but in stiff flex.

As for the driver head itself that also doesn’t play a role, I’ve seen slower swig golfers get fit into lower lofted heads to help with spin. 

Cameron champ who has faster swing than Scottie’s uses the g430 10k max. He’s had g400 max in the bag in the past. Finau used to use a g400 max as well. 

8 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Guessing you are referring to his driver plus shaft and not just the head he is using. So I will agree that you probably shouldn’t play that but I would agree that alot of people even with the same swing speed as Scottie shouldn’t play it. But that also goes for amateurs playing what other amateurs play. Two amateurs with the same swing speed shouldn’t just play what the other uses based solely on their swing speeds matching, or two people of the same handicap shouldn’t just play what another person with the same handicap plays.

Swing speed isn’t even close to the top of the things to base a golf shaft or shaft plus head combo on. there are several lpga golfers using  x flex shafts that are designed with stiffer tips. Their swing speeds are even slower than Scottie’s. They’re averaging 275 or less total distance. There are many amateurs with that dosages replaying similar shafts but in stiff flex.

As for the driver head itself that also doesn’t play a role, I’ve seen slower swig golfers get fit into lower lofted heads to help with spin. 

Cameron champ who has faster swing than Scottie’s uses the g430 10k max. He’s had g400 max in the bag in the past. Finau used to use a g400 max as well. 

I have definitely been intrigued by some pros going to what is defined as a more forgiving driver head.  Feel this just shows the importance of a fitting overall.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

3 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

I have definitely been intrigued by some pros going to what is defined as a more forgiving driver head.  Feel this just shows the importance of a fitting overall.

Exactly. One thing people don’t realize either is pros hang out in the mid 2000 spin range with launch in the 10-12° range.

They want the ball to be in a certain window and will game what does that. They are trying to optimize their ball flight with each club and find what works best for their swing. I don’t get why anyone wouldn’t want to do the same. 

Let's track this back to putters... there is enough driver shaft discussion in other threads with the same things being said that we don't need to contaminate this thread with it. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Putters can be some of the most personal clubs in the bag. What you should play compared to the pros or any other golfer is no different than any other club in the bag. Play the setup that works for your stroke.

get a good putter fitting or spend hours and hours testing putters with different weights, different lengths, different head types and find what works 

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Putters can be some of the most personal clubs in the bag. What you should play compared to the pros or any other golfer is no different than any other club in the bag. Play the setup that works for your stroke.

get a good putter fitting or spend hours and hours testing putters with different weights, different lengths, different head types and find what works 

Yes, and yes. I do not have anything near an elite level swing - NOR do I have anything near an elite level putting stroke...

So what helps a pro putt better means nothing to the way I putt (haha *try* to putt!).

I.e. if Scottie and I swapped putters he'd still beat me in a putting contest 😄

Similar to the mention of forgiving driver heads, I believe that I can benefit from a more forgiving putter head - which we typically associate to a mallet design. So that's what use and am comfortable with.

Would trying the Scottie putter help make me a better putter? 

.. only if it fit my particular stroke and aim tendencies better vs what I'm using now.

Which brings us back full circle: get fit or practice more?

..or...

Do both!! 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

6 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

.. only if it fit my particular stroke and aim tendencies better vs what I'm using now.

Which brings us back full circle: get fit or practice more?

..or...

Do both!! 👍

my mind kind of flip flops on this.   I think the putter can help a bit,  but I also believe that if you focus on working on the skills that you can putt well with any putter.   

No. Most golfers are spending way too much money on equipment. We need to focus on practice and working on our game from 100 yards and in. I love the saying it is the carpenter and not the tools. 

Randy Mercer

Of all the clubs golfers play, I’d say the putter is the one that playing what the pros play can be less penal.  Although 90% of what they play isn’t what us amateurs can get our hands on anyways. 

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:   Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

:titleist-small: TSR2 7 wood shaft TBD

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 Aged Copper 4-PW with Steelfiber I95 R

Wedges:    :mizuno-small: T22 copper 50* and 54* with Steelfiber 95 S

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

1 hour ago, Laxman3 said:

We need to focus on practice and working on our game from 100 yards and in. I love the saying it is the carpenter and not the tools. 

While I agree practice is important,   you don't thing the tool matters?   Would the carpenter do well hammering in finish nails with a sledgehammer?    Skills are key,  but the right tool (club) does provide assistance. 

No, I don’t think the tools matter as much as the carpenter. Most of us have good equipment but we are not very good golfers. No matter the equipment we still are not going to be very good if we don’t practice at our craft.

Randy Mercer

36 minutes ago, Laxman3 said:

Most of us have good equipment but we are not very good golfers. 

Almost all equipment is good,  but that doesn't mean it is the right equipment for the golfer which could hinder their progress even with practice.  I am one of the MGS Most Wanted testers and can tell you that clubs perform differently and some clubs; even with practice, would hinder my abilities.

Also,  if people enjoy buying new equipment, why is that a bad thing?  Not everyone is trying to get better via new equipment and just like having the latest and greatest.     

Edited by cnosil