Is Golf Apparel Too Expensive?

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/is-golf-apparel-too-expensive/

Connor's article raises an interesting question. Obviously, there are bargains to be had. Anyone with a Costco membership knows you can get outfitted for a round for $28 and throw in a vat of potato salad for good measure. But there is the other end of the spectrum, where a nice polo or q-zip will run you the rough equivalent of the entirety of my first paycheck working at McDonalds back in the early nineties. It's all relative, I suppose, but what say you?

WITB:

D: :ping-small: G430 Max 10k 10.5° turned down 1° flat :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue velocore  6x

3w::ping-small: 14.5° G425 Max Newton 6 dot

3h: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2.0/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-PW:  :ping-small: Blueprint S 

48°: :vokey-small: SM-9 

54° & 58°: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper

P:   :L.A.B.: Link.1

Ball:  :vice: Pro Plus Drip

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Golf is too expensive as a whole, the prices of everything keep going up it’s hard to find good value, I do however get decent deals on my golf clothes at Sam’s Club or a Tangier Outlet. 

Best score is 87 and trying to improve currently carrying a Titelist TSR2 driver, TM 3w, 3h, 4-aw irons, 54 & 58 TM wedges, with a TM spider putter.

In my opinion, golf is as expensive as you want to make it. I think the blanket statement that keeps getting thrown around of golf being too expensive altogether is false. Just like you can go to Taylormade or Callaway or Titleist's websites and buy new clubs, you can go to GlobalGolf, eBay, etc. and buy used that are a couple seasons old at massive discounts without being in beaten to crap shape. 

Same with apparel, if you want to spend on the Rhobacks and Peter Millar's of the world, you can. You can also just as easily shop sales at places like UA, outlet stores, etc. Even brands that are on the more expensive side like Primo, Avalon Golf Co. and others run sales where you can save a good amount of money on their products.

No real debate that the cost of green fees continue to rise, but you can play twilight times or off peak season for higher end courses at a discounted rate. You can also use apps like Golf Moose, Golf Now, and websites like GroupGolfer to save on tee times.

Yes, golf is an expensive sport. No, it is not exclusively expensive and can be played and enjoyed for what I consider affordable prices by buying things secondhand and looking for the best deals on tee times.

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 60S

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

to each their own but I'm going to stick to the affordable gear. I used to think that 50-60 for a polo is expensive, now that seems to be about average. 

I have some expensive polos (Rhoback, Greyson) that I got for 10 bucks at the thrift store and they didn't help my game. 🤣

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I think that it's unrealistic to say that golf is not a truly expensive game, and for the most part, that goes for bespoke golf apparel.  I have a lot of friends who used to play for years and simply can't afford it on a senior's fixed income anymore.

The clothes are expensive.

The clubs are expensive.

The memberships or green fees are expensive.

And keeping tees and flagsticks on 150 acres of property for which developers are willing to pay a ton of money is also getting more difficult as well.

Golf is a great game, and some of the most pleasant hours of my life have been spent on the golf course.
Some of my favorite memories of people long gone as well.
I hope it survives, and that lots of people will continue to enjoy it.

But the apparel is only a small part of what makes golf not viable for so many people.
Locally. it seems that more old courses have closed than new courses have opened.
We still have lots of courses, but for the sake of those who follow me,
I hope that continues.

You can make the clothes as expensive as you want.  Do I have some Rhoback shirts, yes…only bought one on my own (just had to have it), the others have been gifts.

My wife spends way too much time/money at TJ Maxx/Marshalls, but has also come home with some great deals.

My golf shoes are generally from Amazon and aren’t the latest model, but they work for me.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Shirts don't have to be expensive. Heard from a friend a while back that Deolax shirts on Amazon is the company that makes FJ shirts (only, they seem to run about 1/2 size smaller than FJ).

I've found them to be light, breathable, very stretchy and seemingly high quality. I've since bought about a dozen of them (my wife's getting annoyed, LOL..). Only slight annoyance for me is that I seem to sit right in-between large and XL, so neither is perfect for me. But, because they're so stretchy, I've settled on L as my preferred (only own 2 in XL).

Just a heads up, most seem to run in only the $25 range.

9 hours ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

golf is as expensive as you want to make it. 

1000% this. If we’re talking strictly apparel, it’s so easy to find deals on just about every piece of clothing. I don’t remember the last time I paid full price for a polo or shoes or bottoms. I also pride myself on being a pretty good bargain hunter lol. 

But really, it’s not just golf apparel. There’s going to be an expensive side and a budget side in just about every hobby/lifestyle you come across. For instance, you can spend $495 on a plain white T from Dolce & Gabbana or you can spend $30 on a 6-pack of plain white T’s from Hanes 😅

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

48 minutes ago, TSauer said:

1000% this. If we’re talking strictly apparel, it’s so easy to find deals on just about every piece of clothing. I don’t remember the last time I paid full price for a polo or shoes or bottoms. I also pride myself on being a pretty good bargain hunter lol. 

But really, it’s not just golf apparel. There’s going to be an expensive side and a budget side in just about every hobby/lifestyle you come across. For instance, you can spend $495 on a plain white T from Dolce & Gabbana or you can spend $30 on a 6-pack of plain white T’s from Hanes 😅

Also, in light of the not just golf apparel statement, every pair of joggers and nearly every polo I own I wear to work. I wear my golf shorts on the weekends for date nights with my wife or when we are out with our boys.

I can dress the joggers up for weddings, or dress them down for casual wear. So I do pay a bit more typically for the Primo joggers (but always during a sale…KEY), but they have extra tall sizes for inseam length that ACTUALLY fit my 6’4 frame and I wear every pair at least once weekly if not more so. 

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 60S

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

I don't mind spending up for materials and products that will last. I am not hard on my gear or clothing and it typically will last a long while anyway, but for me it makes a big difference when I have comfortable clothing. 

I recently purchased hoodies from Macade and Rhoback and am thrilled with them. I wear them all them time and they are great on and off the golf course. 

Shorts and golf shirts I tend to be cheaper on, they don't get the same everyday use and I haven't found the desire or need to spend up on them. Same goes for socks @GolfSpy SAM 😉 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Yes, some of the apparel is expensive. $110 for a polo shirt is quite ridiculous, but people are going to pay it because it has a name on it.

Even super small startups are charging $60+ for polos and they're a new company whose stuff is made the same place as everyone else overseas.

It is what it is but yes, I think it's getting too expensive.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

I miss SteinMart they used to have high quality, brand name golf shirts for next to nothing. When I worked in corporate America we got a ton of high quality logo company/product shirts and so my golf polo inventory will probably last me till I die!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I think we’re all saying similar things that it’s not whether something is too expensive but rather whether it’s a good value. I don’t know what “golf apparel” is compared to regular polo style shirts, shirts, etc unless you’re saying that golf apparel are specific brands. So I just wear my “regular” polo style shirts and shorts. I have, however, bought some golf pants from PGA Superstore, and those seemed fairly priced. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

Plenty of values can be found, as the article points out (if you can even call it an article, it was more links than actual meat). And I'm not talking used/secondhand, either. You want to pay for a logo? Sure it can get expensive. Don't care about the logo, more about performance? Plenty out there.

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

I would say at face value, yes golf apparel is too expensive for a lot of people. I personally don’t buy anything new/ from department stores. I always buy my clothes at Ross/ tj maxx/ Marshall’s. I also shop at thrift stores occasionally with my wife. But golf has traditionally been a sport for people who are more affluent, so I get why golf apparel companies charge so much, because that is their target market. Also, the price of everything nowadays is more expensive. But like anything, you can golf on a budget. My bag is from goodwill and I bought my clubs used from a local golf shop. 

I should be pro by now…

:mizuno-small: ST-190

:taylormade-small: M2 3 Wood

:nike-small: SQ 2 Hybrid
:macgregor-small: MT-Pro Irons

:titleist-small: SM4 Vokey Wedges
:taylormade-small: Spider tour X Putter

Golf apparel is over priced. Almost everything is made overseas in low cost countries (Jordan, China, Vietnam, Indonesia, India,). I just looked at over 90 yup 90 golf shirts in my closet and that’s where they were all manufactured. Once you put the name brand logo on it you can add over $50 on top. You go to the golf shop and see $75.00 shirts or go to a PGA event and see $110.00. Next season you see them in the Ross, Marshall’s, TJ Max, Sam’s Club Cosco or whatever for less than $15.00.  So what did the name brand company actually pay, $10 bucks maybe. 
It would be nice if they didn’t price gouge us. I don’t mind a little markup but be civil about it. 
Trust me I might have paid full price on one or two of the ones in my closet. I just hate to feel taken advantage of.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the world of you tube golf has opened the door to overpriced golf apparel. The quality something doesn't match the price but people are paying for the brand so they can "support" content creators. 

You can find some great deals on golf apparel if your not bran biased and probably get better quality while bargain shopping.

The Average Dad Golfer

Ok, let's talk just clothing . It's ridiculously overpriced. Take TW R.E.D. line as an example.  You are buying a name,  an ego, a flex.  Thats not a knock on those that can afford it. It's going to be the same manufacturing for alot of the other compamies with the same materials though.

Are all shirts built the same? No.  There is a difference in craftsmanship, design, material, etc.

im a CAPP,  goodwill junkie, thrift store wh0re, etc.

Shoes is a whole different level though. They are , to me anyway,  the single most important piece of clothing equipment you can invest in.  You still dont have to overpay though! I have temu shoes, goodwill shoes, and amazon name brand shoes. Some will last, some won't.  

Here is one side of my golf shirt collection.  Some will look and see WOW. But I've never paid full price on any of them. In fact, I have maybe $100 total invested over 3 years. Some are summer, some are winter,  some are older and the materials are different from what everyone uses today. Some I won too.

I also have dressier and more casual polos that never saw a golf round.

You can find deals everywhere. With so much costs associated with golf in other areas, you don't have to spend alot to look and feel good.

Like anything,  my opinion is subjective,  and not a reflection against any person or product.  There are definitely quality differences in some areas over others. Twice a year I closet clean out and donate them back.

20240806_192343.jpg

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

I think so much of it depends on what you want on the pocket. I’m not a brand-name guy…I’m just about anything. I’ve got a Calloway polo that’s very nice, but I buy Maelreg shirts and pants on Amazon for $25-$40. They’re very well made and totally suitable for something you’re gonna go sweat your ass off in during the summer. I’m surprised at the quality of the pants compared to others at a much higher price point. Really nice stuff for what I consider quite reasonable, with lots of color and pattern options. 

Driver:  image.png.ac16a10c2b861fff646dd08647f76d1f.png 849D
     Fuji ‘24 Ventus Blue 5R
3-5Hy:  Pinemeadow Command BK
6-PW:  image.png.e76c3a80e959f4571ac9d38b658506a0.png 699 v2
     Mitsu MMT 80g
Wedges:  image.png.bddbadf2cd48c1b40cf591e520848ebb.png MAX milled 50° (bent to 48°), 54°, 58°
     Mitsu Kuro Kage black 2G S/R
Putter:  image.jpeg.4a8b0ee0fbff31934a2e15fc68a7bfe7.jpeg King Supernova 20
Ball:  image.png.10667a299706a9d7d3afd32e78f27847.png Pro Soft
Bag: image.png.1645cda6e679afe5a2659ddb2ecb59d1.png  C130

Wine is sunlight held together by water - Galileo 

• 2 weeks later...

Certain brands are definitely quite expensive in relation to Amazon deals or Marshall’s etc. For example, Breezy Golf generally runs in the $89 range and even though I absolutely love BDS’s content I can’t bring myself to spend that much on one shirt. But it’s honestly up to you at the end of the day. I enjoy the fashion game but within a budget! For example, this is from Amazon: 

IMG_5099.jpeg

TM SpeedBlade Irons

Srixon ZX7 driver

Cleveland wedges

Cobra Supernova 30 3d printed putter

My outfits on the course will blind you!

AsParAsTheEyeCanSee blog! asparastheeyecansee.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, Bogey Train Conductor said:

Certain brands are definitely quite expensive in relation to Amazon deals or Marshall’s etc. For example, Breezy Golf generally runs in the $89 range and even though I absolutely love BDS’s content I can’t bring myself to spend that much on one shirt. But it’s honestly up to you at the end of the day. I enjoy the fashion game but within a budget! For example, this is from Amazon: 

IMG_5099.jpeg

That’s the thing is you can always find something you like on Amazon. It may not have a certain logo but that’s not a bad thing sometimes. When I do want something from on of the big names I check the usuals Marshalls or TJ Maxx. Also I’ve had luck at the DSG Warehouse stores they carry everything from the in store DSG brand to Travis Matthew. I’ve had luck there when they run the additional 50% off sales. I don’t know that I’ll ever spend $90 on a shirt or hoodie, but I don’t mind looking for deals on those items. 

I’ve got a bad feeling about this.

Driver-  image.png.c7958ee984bbf04f894ad61f7b2912ee.png     AI Smoke Triple Diamond 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ 6x/ image.png.34846e03859e439eea57f542ae27df59.png  Mini Burner Copper 11.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5

Fairway- image.png.05e3e95116b254160104eb63157eaf9c.png Stealth 2, 5 wood Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0/image.png.05e3e95116b254160104eb63157eaf9c.png Burner Bubble 2, 7 wood (sometimes)

Utility- IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpg.1b17f43b70edb2cc8206713b580280bc.jpg 3 Utility Project X HZRDUS Black Smoke RDX 6.0 (sometimes)

Irons- default_mizuno-small.jpg.683f01332cf642e1a0791b7880818c55.jpg JPX 921 Forged KBS $120 5-GW

Wedges-titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpg.69fcd3f4fc6e6cc63e96630188337bff.jpg Vokey SM 56 and 60

Flatstick-titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpg.69fcd3f4fc6e6cc63e96630188337bff.jpg Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5