Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Kirkland Balls are worth the hype

Kbains5

3 minutes ago, Lefty11 said:

Below these Kirklands (version 4) hit he USGA conforming list. I wonder how’ll the perform. 
IMG_6850.jpeg.a5c94b114c4be7cf668654b4d84201fc.jpeg

... I will be shocked if they are markedly different than previous versions. Costco doesn't sell balls for golfers, they sell them for Costco members and cost is the most important criteria. If they could improve performance and that raises the price to $39.99 for 2 dozen I have to imagine they would not make that compromise and continue to sell them at the price those stopping for every free food sample appreciates. 🤪

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

I have the yellows. Which are currently unavailable to order anymore. They are not the same as the gen 3. They are made in China vs Vietnam.  My hits show They spin a lot less than the white v3. 

No idea if they will bring back the yellows. My local store never had them in I had to order them offline and right after I did when they were onsale they went out of stock. 

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... There is so much that goes into golf balls for every individual. Two of my slow swinging pards increased their distance with the Kirkland V3 because they needed more spin. But I think one of the biggest factors is how consistent is your swing and contact? If you play several times a week and rarely make the same swing twice and/or miss the center regularly, the V3 may very well be a great ball for you at $15 a dozen. But if you only play once a week or less, golf ball prices jmay not matter anywhere near as much. 

... This is pretty current for me as I haven't played V3's in quite awhile but played a practice round Monday because the course was empty and I was able to hit multiple shots. I had 145 to a pin just over a dip in front of the green, so anything landing on the fringe or shorter will roll back down into the dip. Facing a wind just under 10mph, I went up a club to my 8 iron as 145 is a solid 9 for me. I took full normal swings and I hit 4 shots with the V3 about as well as I can and all 4 hit just short of the green and rolled back down the slope. I then hit 2 Maxfli Tour X balls and the ball marks for both were pin high. I then hit 2 ProV1's and they were virtually identical to the Tour X. I stepped off about a 9yd difference between the V3 and TourX/ProV1s. The difference between 4 difficult up and downs and 4 potential birdie putts is huge. 

... Even though we don't get wind in Phoenix like I experienced in Chicago, it can get windy and I can't afford to play a ball that loses yards because of more spin than ideal for my game. I have given Kirklands to quite a few players and the results are mixed but by and large lower index and faster swinging players don't care for them, while higher index and slower swing players do. I have done the same with Maxfli Tours and Tour X's and haven't had a single player not like or love the ball. I have said before my youngest pard at 36 that has only played ProV1's since his high school got team days, switched to Maxfli Tour X's after I gave him a sleeve and he plays them exclusively, including the in the AZ State Am last month. Of course Ymmv ... 

I have played in two 18-hole matchplay events in the last 9 days and both of my opponents were playing Kirkland balls (I have no idea what generation these balls were). These two guys had distinctly different golf swings and handicap levels (one is a mid single digit, the other is a 17), but both have swing/clubhead speeds significantly lower than mine and both could use a lot more spin than what I want or need.

Needless to say, both of these guys got good to excellent results using the K-Sig balls. If I used the same high-spinning golf balls with my 100 MPH driver and 85-87 MPH mid-iron speeds, it would be disastrous.

BTW, I lost my match 3-0 to the single-digit guy, but split 1.5-1.5 with the 17-capper this week.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

5 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

BTW, I lost my match 3-0 to the single-digit guy, but split 1.5-1.5 with the 17-capper this week.

... Quick question for you. How would you compare the Steelfiber i95 and Recoil Dart 90? 

Just now, chisag said:

... Quick question for you. How would you compare the Steelfiber i95 and Recoil Dart 90? 

I have never been a big Recoil shaft fan, with the possible exception of the Clubfitter-exclusive Recoil Prototype shafts. Therefore, my response is likely to be a bit biased.

I find the Recoils, including the Dart models, to have a more “active” feel than the firmer-feeling SteelFiber shafts. For some golfers, this is a good thing, but for me it is not so good. Some golfers love the signature “Recoil feel”, but that doesn’t include me. With the SmacWrap and Dart models, I think that UST Mamiya was trying to give the Recoil shafts a little “tighter” feel, and it seems that this was at least somewhat successful. However, Recoils are just not my cup of tea.

Of course, SteelFiber shafts are certainly not for everyone, with their distinctive “steel shaft-like” feel, especially in the heavier weights, including the 95s. For me, SteelFibers, Fujikura Axioms and the heavier weights in the KBS TGI (Tour Graphite Iron) shafts are my preferred composite iron shafts.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

What’s fantastic about golf is the variety of choices available for balls, clubs, etc. If the Kirkland ball suit your game, feel free to use them—there's no judgment here. 🙂

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

Screenshot_20240815_152953_YouTube.png.5e9120777e6721edbd59df0e8adc8c2a.pngScreenshot_20240815_152747_YouTube.png.7cffeecd4bd622c566794c81316fcad1.pngScreenshot_20240815_152727_YouTube.png.1ea477c3c27b1b7300ec6ed00496eeac.png

I'm really starting to wonder how many people are just parroting internet talk about it being spinning too much amd accepting it as fact why they lost yardage. I can find several of these data backed reviews from lower to mid swing speed guys that show it's right in the same ball park. I will say that this data set supports that lower swings don't get the distance out of it. Maybe it's a compression issue. I think the titlest is the low one at under 90 with the others being around 93. 

I didn't like the maxfli tour x cause the compression was in the 100s and inconsistent (audibly) I don't have a gauge. Some just had a harder feel than others. At my 103 to 105 swing speed I struggled with it. I imagine that this guy with an 86 mph driver would probably be better off with a softer ball. 

More data. 

Screenshot_20240815_163003_YouTube.png.b0ac2ac07b277e273431964f84eb1507.pngScreenshot_20240815_163107_YouTube.png.bce520a4bc82c3c7137a9ce313aaf73f.pngScreenshot_20240815_163124_YouTube.png.7427a9c4c1199fc67c8984003e2dd23b.pngScreenshot_20240815_163157_YouTube.png.610a270dc55a7d0bff148d0c361dc074.png

I can't find any validation to the super spinny claims. 

Is there a spent cost fallacy at play maybe? I can completely understand that.  A prov1x is 4.58 a ball. 

Ksig gen 3 is 1.16 a ball.  Both before tax

A 400% cost increase for a few yards is hard to stomach. Golf doesn't pay my mortgage and if I was good enough to tell the difference maybe I could justify it but if I was that good I'd be being paid to play a ball. 

@Off Map Oscar what you are doing here is simply confirmation bias. Everything you posted is based on too small of a sample size to minimize the human swing variable so these results are questionable at best. 

The 2023 MGS ball test not only used a robot to eliminate swing variation, but also hit a much larger sample size than these YouTube reviewers so their results are much more reliable (Today’s Golfer’s first robotic test was also great, but being in the U.K. have not tested the Kirkland). You could criticize MGS using the ProV1 (lower end of the spin spectrum) to calibrate the swing conditions so it is not surprising to see higher spinning balls perform worse under those conditions, but those are still likely closer the masses than a set of swing conditions that the Kirkland would ultimately win out under.

Driver:  Titleist TS2 9.5

Fairway:  Tour Edge CB4 Tour 16.5 

Irons:  Titleist 690.CB 3-PW

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 56

Putter:  Odyssey Works Versa 1W

Ball:  Vice Pro Plus

6 minutes ago, Dropping2 said:

I wish I liked them. Too spinny for me. And they come in yellow now, which I love. I'm happy to see people play them. They're a great deal. 

What ball do you prefer? And what gave you the too much spin impression? Was it a loss of yardage? More deviation? Simulator data?

20 hours ago, Off Map Oscar said:

I can't find any validation to the super spinny claims. 

... Maybe read the folks experiences right here on this forum? Interesting that you just joined MGS and not only immediately started making claims against what many members here have experienced and shared over many years about the V3, you don't like the Maxfli Tour's many of us have played, shared and loved from + indexes to high index players because you don't like the compression? That's fine and you are entitled to your opinions but sheesh maybe slow your roll before making such sweeping claims that again have been tried and found to be accurate by many longtime MGS members that have experienced and shared from the very first Kirkland ball. Most of us are here to share our experiences not try and prove someone else's experience is wrong or right. 

... I really don't care what the golf nerd or anyone else on the internet says about the Kirkland, even if they have a similar swing speed and index because chances are their AOA, shaft, head and several other factors are very different than mine. Same with MGS ball tests that I find a good starting point but may or may not apply to my swing. I have played, compared and shared my experiences with the V3 in the past after extensive personal experience and just posted on the previous page it was 9 yds shorter than the Maxfli Tour X for me due to increased spin. I have read enough from you to know I don't need to read anymore and you have reached ignored status faster than anyone I have experienced on MGS in 14 years as a member. 

Edited by chisag

13 minutes ago, Off Map Oscar said:

What ball do you prefer? And what gave you the too much spin impression? Was it a loss of yardage? More deviation? Simulator data?

I mainly play Srixon Q-Star tour. Kirkland is all over the place off the tee for me and not as long as the QST. I attribute that to too much spin. I haven't checked simulator data because I just don't like the ball. I might try the next time I'm on the sim. 

Okish golfer

10 minutes ago, Dropping2 said:

I mainly play Srixon Q-Star tour. Kirkland is all over the place off the tee for me and not as long as the QST. I attribute that to too much spin. I haven't checked simulator data because I just don't like the ball. I might try the next time I'm on the sim. 

I don't have any of those to compare to but if I get my hands on one I'll see how it's spin numbers compare for me. When you say erratic is that left and right or distance?

4 minutes ago, Off Map Oscar said:

I don't have any of those to compare to but if I get my hands on one I'll see how it's spin numbers compare for me. When you say erratic is that left and right or distance?

I have a 2 way miss at times, so it's left and right. It's just further left and right than other golf balls for me. It's also not as long. Strike is a factor, obviously, but the ball didn't work for me on course. Wish it did. 

Okish golfer

8 minutes ago, Dropping2 said:

I have a 2 way miss at times, so it's left and right. It's just further left and right than other golf balls for me. It's also not as long. Strike is a factor, obviously, but the ball didn't work for me on course. Wish it did. 

That super sucks. Clearly it's not a fit for everyone.  My typical miss is a wide right cause I failed to control the club face. That throws so much side spin on it even a 2 piece super soft can't fix it. Slight outside to in path gives me a pretty standard 9 yard right hand curve. I haven't found any ball that corrects this. They all seem to follow the same path when I do it right. 

@Off Map Oscar

Even though I personally think that numbers from youtube reviews with small sample sizes are questionable at best, here is an example supporting the spinny side of the argument:

Driver:  Titleist TS2 9.5

Fairway:  Tour Edge CB4 Tour 16.5 

Irons:  Titleist 690.CB 3-PW

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 56

Putter:  Odyssey Works Versa 1W

Ball:  Vice Pro Plus

Ok curiosity got the better of me in this thread. The wife and I played the little Par3 today as we do every Saturday. None of the Hickory bunch showed up. I decided to play my regular PW and 56* and putt with my Scotty Santa FE. I needed the practice anyhow. I had found 2 Kirkland balls this week and I am not sure what model they were. They are stamped on the side like<Performance +>. I know one thing they do spin. With my more modern clubs (or as modern as I get) they performed well. We had a slow group of what I call Tourist Bro Covid Tourist golfers with rental clubs in front of us which is normal for that course. So we stayed back and I did a comparison between the Kirkland, A Pro V1 and a Srixon Soft Feel. Distance was equal but where the Kirkland shined was in the spin. Now I have not checked my SS since the accident but I estimate it is between 85 and 90. Now wedges and short irons I generate a lot of spin anyhow because I am wristy and hit a trap cut. After a few holes I switched to hitting and practicing with just the Kirklands. Like the feel off the putter too. I will note even though it was cool with an ocean breeze no one else was on the course. Actually if this is the current model I am impressed. Tomorrow I am playing early on my regular course with my usual Sunday Morning bud. I will see how it reacts with the Driver and other clubs. It is funny those Kirkland balls spun like the wound Maxfli Elite balls I play with the Hickory stuff. to keep weight down carrying the bag I had pulled the 2 Elite and one Balata HT-90 out of the bag. I have never hit the Elite balls with my sort of modern wedges. Being on the ocean that course always has shifting winds. The Kirklands seem to go well for me hitting into the wind. Like I said before I had never played any Kirkland balls after the first bunch all the hype was about

Part of my fun these days is experimenting around on stuff like this

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex- - 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex steel shafts--- SW -- Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore --- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Fluted Bulls Eye shaft--- Bag TM Flex Lite Stand---- Yeah I know only 11 clubs 

G

20240817_151102.jpg.f3df4c32a961d41bb57a847dd5b25a8a.jpg

I have a hybrid that likes to chew up balls. It did the same thing to the maxflis, snells and titlest balls I've played so it isn't shocking that it chewed this one a little. Typically it's not bad but maybe there is some inconsistency in the cover.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ at a buck a ball it's retired to the simulator/shag bag. 

Overall, I’ve been really happy with the Kirkland balls from this season with one exception: the covers have not been very durable for me. The overall performance of the balls has been acceptable for me, and early in the golf season Costco had a great deal going on that you could get 3 dozen for around $22 at our warehouse so we snapped up a few packs. That said, my wedges do seem to chew up the covers on the balls pretty easily especially on bunker shots. 

Driver: image.jpeg.50045e4f4c366273349372f158104416.jpeg Tsr3 w/ Nemesys 65s 

3 Wood: image.jpeg.f180e222d5b0911be4b9dc1a6c0ca4c0.jpeg AI Smoke w/ Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70s

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.05841159331a2695253e166e09eaf8d5.jpeg G430 w/ Mitsubishi Kai'li White 80s, 4 Hybrid: image.jpeg.75a1989ce5c23ede2295bd982ff691bf.jpeg G425 w/ Ping Alta 70s

Irons: 5-PW: image.jpeg.693b815922fca8be44b16345a9ced455.jpeg G425 w/ AWT 2.0 Stiff

Wedges: image.jpeg.aee30d2d8a1fdb7084e58f55f12ab81e.jpeg 54* and 58* Glide 4.0 w/ AWT 2.0 Stiff

Putter: image.jpeg.253ebcabb7a49367b7eddf486d2ed2eb.jpegOslo H

Ball: image.jpeg.ed1a0bba6e8687420999ee04b910a7ea.jpeg TP5x

Ok my Bud and I did a Kirkland test today as part of our Sunday round. We were out early and no one was there. I played my regular for now TM Distance Green. My Bud played his Vice Pro. Now my bud is very intelligent and absorbs info like a sponge. He has done ball fittings and knows his stuff on Vice balls. Since I had 2 Kirklands we hit different shots each with them. On drives mine tended to balloon with the Kirkland but no real loss of distance, With him they tended to balloon and did not get as much distance as his Vice Pro. Now with me on the 7 wood the Kirkland did balloon and did not get as much distance. Iron shots for me there was too much spin with the Kirkland. It was hard to say with him because he plays all hybrids besides his 9 iron and 2 wedges. Now I will admit I put a lot of spin on my irons because by design I hit a trap cut.

In conclusion for our little jackleg test I could get used to the Kirkland in time and honestly do not see it as being that bad of a ball. My bud honestly no because he is hooked on the Vice balls. A lot of people say those TM balls are as hard as a rock but I can still spin them. I actually want to try those 2 Kirkland balls with my persimmon woods. With the spin rate of those I think they may do well for me on vintage play. Yeah both survived today and in decent shape.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex- - 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex steel shafts--- SW -- Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore --- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Fluted Bulls Eye shaft--- Bag TM Flex Lite Stand---- Yeah I know only 11 clubs 

G

I shredded another one with my hybrid today. Not bad enough to retire it but still weird that one 4 hybrid can consistently chop up a ball. I might have to call the oem and figure out if it's got a bad face or the 4 grooves are jagged. 

8 hours ago, Off Map Oscar said:

I shredded another one with my hybrid today. Not bad enough to retire it but still weird that one 4 hybrid can consistently chop up a ball. I might have to call the oem and figure out if it's got a bad face or the 4 grooves are jagged. 

HMMM== Certainly food for thought either way. I can remember when the Srixon balls first came here. I could "hair up" the covers on them with the same Cleveland 588 wedge I play now. Yeah I have played that wedge that long. If memory serves me correctly I could do the same thing with the 392 Pro Vs. Come to think of it I never hit a ball with my SM-5 Vokey 58* yesterday. Now it is a 10 year old design but I got this one brand new in the plastic 2 years ago. I do not use it that much only out of our poorly maintained tight greenside bunkers or like a high 40 yard flop

G

18 minutes ago, Off Map Oscar said:

20240821_081703.jpg.1894700ced258aa225d3d54524b07879.jpg

They are not puppy proof....

Much like the foam golf balls, i predict a 50% distance from that ball.  Perfect for backyard practice!!  😄. Directional control is not guaranteed!  😱

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.