Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

PXG Gen 7 Irons - 2024 Forum Review

1 hour ago, 3Putt4Double said:

I got 3 whole swings with the MMT shaft before he pulled it out of my hands.. He could tell the weight I needed wasn't there.. It did feel pretty decent though.. Could see myself using them in the future, just not at this point of my life

I believe these were the 1st non steel shaft I tried. They were really gorgeous paired with the gen 7 head but just didn’t work out. When I grow up and can reliably play some steelfiber or graphite shafts I’d really like to make the switch as I prefer the look.

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

51 minutes ago, Coulter said:

My fitter really didn’t like anything outside the steel stiff- extra stiff shafts. We ended up between the kbs 120 and the dg 115 x100 shafts and my fitter preferred the dg 115. I think the reason for this was mostly due to a quick transition from backswing to downswing which caused some of the graphite/steel fiber shafts to not be right for me.

.... I really hate to hear he didn't like anything outside of steel as Steelfiber's come in 115 and 125 gm shafts and Axiom offers shafts at 105 and 125 gms (X only). I can certainly see with a quick transition for a young strong guy that a light weight graphite shaft wouldn't be a good fit anymore than a Nippon 950GH Neo steel shaft. MMT also has a 125gm shaft. Of course there are several other heavier weight graphite shafts but they can be pretty expensive and maybe you fitter doesn't stock those. Obviously you can't get a much faster transition than Bryson and the LA Golf 125 gm graphite shaft holds up to his speed.

... That said, I don't wanna be a graphite iron shaft zealot so even if you had demoed all I mentioned there is no guarantee any of them would be as good or better for your swing than the steel shafts you narrowed it down to. I just feel like when you go to a fitting, they should give you every option and let the performance and personal preference make the final decision for you. Thanks for letting us know the details. 👍

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

6 hours ago, chisag said:

.... I really hate to hear he didn't like anything outside of steel as Steelfiber's come in 115 and 125 gm shafts and Axiom offers shafts at 105 and 125 gms (X only). I can certainly see with a quick transition for a young strong guy that a light weight graphite shaft wouldn't be a good fit anymore than a Nippon 950GH Neo steel shaft. MMT also has a 125gm shaft. Of course there are several other heavier weight graphite shafts but they can be pretty expensive and maybe you fitter doesn't stock those. Obviously you can't get a much faster transition than Bryson and the LA Golf 125 gm graphite shaft holds up to his speed.

... That said, I don't wanna be a graphite iron shaft zealot so even if you had demoed all I mentioned there is no guarantee any of them would be as good or better for your swing than the steel shafts you narrowed it down to. I just feel like when you go to a fitting, they should give you every option and let the performance and personal preference make the final decision for you. Thanks for letting us know the details. 👍

I’m really not sure exactly what all he had to offer as far as options go. There were a ton of shafts for him to choose from. I’ve used graphite before in the past before being fit for clubs and did like them at the time. Interestingly all 3 times I’ve been fit I was fit in an extra stiff to stiff steel shaft. That may be due to lack of knowledge or price difference I have no clue to be honest. During my Pxg fitting I didn’t have any preference at all and just wanted whatever the fitter decided worked best.

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

6 hours ago, Coulter said:

I’m really not sure exactly what all he had to offer as far as options go. There were a ton of shafts for him to choose from. I’ve used graphite before in the past before being fit for clubs and did like them at the time. Interestingly all 3 times I’ve been fit I was fit in an extra stiff to stiff steel shaft. That may be due to lack of knowledge or price difference I have no clue to be honest. During my Pxg fitting I didn’t have any preference at all and just wanted whatever the fitter decided worked best.

... When I talked with PXG in the store looking for some T irons with MMT shafts a few years ago they only had MMT in 75gms in regular flex or 85gms in stiff for me to hit and nothing heavier. He said  "Usually better players that need heavier shafts don't do well with graphite so we only stock the lighter shafts for those that need more distance". 🙄 I then asked if they could just soft step the 85's twice and he said that wasn't possible. I told him of course it is and he started to argue with me so I just thanked him and left. 

... I am not throwing PXG under the bus as I may have just gotten an ignorant employee that didn't understand parallel shafts and may have had a different experience at another store. But I am still amazed at how some fitters, especially in big box locations still think graphite iron shafts should be lighter for mostly older players that need more distance. I just had the fitter at a Golf Galaxy tell me when I just asked to see the new P770 heads that if I were good enough to play those irons I shouldn't need graphite. 

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... When I talked with PXG in the store looking for some T irons with MMT shafts a few years ago they only had MMT in 75gms in regular flex or 85gms in stiff for me to hit and nothing heavier. He said  "Usually better players that need heavier shafts don't do well with graphite so we only stock the lighter shafts for those that need more distance". 🙄 I then asked if they could just soft step the 85's twice and he said that wasn't possible. I told him of course it is and he started to argue with me so I just thanked him and left. 

... I am not throwing PXG under the bus as I may have just gotten an ignorant employee that didn't understand parallel shafts and may have had a different experience at another store. But I am still amazed at how some fitters, especially in big box locations still think graphite iron shafts should be lighter for mostly older players that need more distance. I just had the fitter at a Golf Galaxy tell me when I just asked to see the new P770 heads that if I were good enough to play those irons I shouldn't need graphite. 

I’m afraid that it is not just “fitters in big box locations” who have such an attitude regarding graphite iron shafts. Far too many golf equipment OEMs do not even offer heavier graphite/composite shafts as an upcharge option in their irons. This is really unfortunate for a significant portion of the golfing public, as lots of stronger swingers, golfers with faster tempos and those who have an aggressive downswing do not get along well with lighter weight graphite iron shafts.

I happen to be one of those golfers described above, and with only a couple of exceptions (namely KBS Tour Graphite and SteelFiber 80i iron shafts), I don’t do well with graphite iron shafts that are lighter than 95 grams.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

I can report on this subject that my PXG fitter was certainly willing to try and fit any of their shaft options.  I’m not blazing fast but not slow either…driver CHS is in the 105-110 range.  I got no pushback on using graphite, in fact my fitter was quick to recommend graphite options far more than steel.

As has been suggested, I think some of the misinformation and misconceptions that endure are more of an individual fitter thing than an OEM “policy.”

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Qi10 7w, 21, :Fuji: Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Accra TZ 95 stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, 60 T Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :EVNROLL: EV8

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I am meeting with my fitter tomorrow at 1pm to check loft/lie and have him just double check everything.  PXG offers this in the first year at any time and since I have been hitting a little on the toe as a new miss, I want him to check it out.  

I do think I have it figured out, but I have it scheduled already, and it will be at the outdoor range in Georgetown.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

6 minutes ago, Javs said:

I played my first round with the new PXG Gen 7’s with the MMT 105’s and the Sugar Daddy III wedges. image.jpeg.3fcdc1710766094d3bf1d62f3cb15c8d.jpegimage.jpeg.d415145bc26ba9d21d681b72f4b7d08f.jpegimage.jpeg.0880caa647032600d88c150e4fe9e95e.jpegimage.jpeg.f0f7279274f17f48410aec2a83053ca9.jpegimage.jpeg.1f2cde433eb482f8d21d6ff1eb77157a.jpegI shot 2 under par! Hit 13 greens and had 4 near greens in regulation. Only one time was I well off. Actually tried to force a shot from deep rough with a 6 iron where I normally would have hit a choke down 5 hybrid. I came up 15 yards short and in the deep rough. Pitched it to 4 feet and missed the putt. So, feedback on the clubs and shafts. Full disclaimer. I tweaked my back again on the opening drive. Played the round in pain and basically walking slowly on my right side all round. However, the PXG 7’s are extremely forgiving. The MMT 105 shafts were nice. So, playing with a hurt back I won’t be able to fully judge the distance comparison to my Titleist. Other than to say I hit the PXG’s the exact same distance. That tells me when healthy these clubs/shaft combo should be longer.  The huge difference was in dispersion. Many of my swings were not my best and they still flew the distance and I hit the green. I tend to over cook shots at times and those swings with this combo were just a high draw that was acceptable. Also the Gen 7’s were extremely forgiving. Since I hurt my back again and I am going on vacation next week, I am shutting it down till I get back. I hope to come back rested and healthy to give more detailed feedback. However, first impressions are this is an awesome club head and shaft combo for me!

I'm in love with this black heads! I hope your back gets rested up and you're back to 100% after your vacation. 

30 minutes ago, Javs said:

I played my first round with the new PXG Gen 7’s with the MMT 105’s and the Sugar Daddy III wedges. image.jpeg.3fcdc1710766094d3bf1d62f3cb15c8d.jpegimage.jpeg.d415145bc26ba9d21d681b72f4b7d08f.jpegimage.jpeg.0880caa647032600d88c150e4fe9e95e.jpegimage.jpeg.f0f7279274f17f48410aec2a83053ca9.jpegimage.jpeg.1f2cde433eb482f8d21d6ff1eb77157a.jpegI shot 2 under par! Hit 13 greens and had 4 near greens in regulation. Only one time was I well off. Actually tried to force a shot from deep rough with a 6 iron where I normally would have hit a choke down 5 hybrid. I came up 15 yards short and in the deep rough. Pitched it to 4 feet and missed the putt. So, feedback on the clubs and shafts. Full disclaimer. I tweaked my back again on the opening drive. Played the round in pain and basically walking slowly on my right side all round. However, the PXG 7’s are extremely forgiving. The MMT 105 shafts were nice. So, playing with a hurt back I won’t be able to fully judge the distance comparison to my Titleist. Other than to say I hit the PXG’s the exact same distance. That tells me when healthy these clubs/shaft combo should be longer.  The huge difference was in dispersion. Many of my swings were not my best and they still flew the distance and I hit the green. I tend to over cook shots at times and those swings with this combo were just a high draw that was acceptable. Also the Gen 7’s were extremely forgiving. Since I hurt my back again and I am going on vacation next week, I am shutting it down till I get back. I hope to come back rested and healthy to give more detailed feedback. However, first impressions are this is an awesome club head and shaft combo for me!

Love hearing you had a great round with the new clubs and that they should match or beat the Titleist. Hate hearing another back injury. Get better man. Once of these days we can go play a round. 

1 hour ago, Javs said:

I love the clubs!  I  prefer irons that are gun metal, copper and anything not chrome🔥

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'm in love with this black heads! I hope your back gets rested up and you're back to 100% after your vacation. 

Thank you! They look great and especially with the black shafts. I think a few weeks off is exactly what I need!

Play like a champion today!

43 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Love hearing you had a great round with the new clubs and that they should match or beat the Titleist. Hate hearing another back injury. Get better man. Once of these days we can go play a round. 

Thank you Josh and maybe we can get a round or a couple once I’m healthy! Keep hitting your clubs well!

2 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

I am meeting with my fitter tomorrow at 1pm to check loft/lie and have him just double check everything.  PXG offers this in the first year at any time and since I have been hitting a little on the toe as a new miss, I want him to check it out.  

I do think I have it figured out, but I have it scheduled already, and it will be at the outdoor range in Georgetown.  

@Josh Parker thank you for letting me know that! My fitter might have mentioned they check this up to a year out but I don’t remember. That’s a huge bonus on them in my mind!

1 hour ago, Javs said:

The black heads look amazing! I hope you get to feeling better soon. The right side of my back has been a bit tender and since the weather won’t cooperate for the next 3-5 days I’ll be able to take it easy and get back at it next week. Great 1st round outside the injury keep us updated on how they perform when you get back at it.

11 minutes ago, Coulter said:

The black heads look amazing! I hope you get to feeling better soon. The right side of my back has been a bit tender and since the weather won’t cooperate for the next 3-5 days I’ll be able to take it easy and get back at it next week. Great 1st round outside the injury keep us updated on how they perform when you get back at it.

Thank you!  really like the black club heads. Around 24 Sept I will be back at it. Hope I am healed then. I’ll keep you updated.

2 hours ago, Javs said:

Get some rest for the back and come back strong when you return from vacation.

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

Long read ahead...

1pm - met at Cimmaron Hill CC with my fitter Gavin to check loft/lie.  I was coming in steeper than I have been but was still making pretty good contact after adjusting my setup distance to the ball.  Was hitting my 170yd 70-80ft in height and he was liking what he saw for the most part. Mentioned possibly taking out the 1 degree flat and back to standard to get that toe miss off the table. He will be gone for a few weeks but said to play and we would check back when he returned. 

I can't tell you how great the customer service and communication has been from the entire company. 

Now to the course and round this afternoon.  Shot a 75 but the score doesn't tell you how well the irons were doing today. Only 1 birdie on the card but missed 4 from 6ish foot.  These irons were shooting Darts!  

20240829_173259.jpg.bccd3860c7b6b9f4c13ff8ed8fe5b153.jpg

20240829_180943.jpg.f66f98b8471bf53817c3ab377d7762f5.jpg

20240829_181631.jpg.4c336b6bb1170761e424a918d420696e.jpg

17 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

These irons were shooting Darts!  

... Let's be accurate here. You were shooting darts using these irons. 😉

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Let's be accurate here. You were shooting darts using these irons. 😉

Or was it the Recoil Darts..... HA

21 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Long read ahead...

1pm - met at Cimmaron Hill CC with my fitter Gavin to check loft/lie.  I was coming in steeper than I have been but was still making pretty good contact after adjusting my setup distance to the ball.  Was hitting my 170yd 70-80ft in height and he was liking what he saw for the most part. Mentioned possibly taking out the 1 degree flat and back to standard to get that toe miss off the table. He will be gone for a few weeks but said to play and we would check back when he returned. 

I can't tell you how great the customer service and communication has been from the entire company. 

Now to the course and round this afternoon.  Shot a 75 but the score doesn't tell you how well the irons were doing today. Only 1 birdie on the card but missed 4 from 6ish foot.  These irons were shooting Darts!  

Is Gavin the PXG fitter you’ve been working with for the test?

:ping-small: G430 MAX 10.5º Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6 X

:ping-small:  G430 MAX 5 Wood Tour 2.0 Chrome 65 S shaft

:ping-small: G430 MAX 4 Hybrid Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 S Shaft

:ping-small: G430 5i - PW :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: G430 45º & 50º :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: Glide Pro Forged 56º S-10° :truetemper: Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

:ping-small: S159 60° H-8° :truetemper: Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

:L.A.B.: DF3 :accra: shaft

Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ review

3 minutes ago, musicalmedicine said:

Is Gavin the PXG fitter you’ve been working with for the test?

Yes sir. He has been great. 

6 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Yes sir. He has been great. 

That’s awesome! With PXG offering everything in lefty variants, the customer service you’ve experienced, and their headquarters being a 15 minute drive from my house, they may have become a serious contender next time I’m looking to upgrade clubs.

:ping-small: G430 MAX 10.5º Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6 X

:ping-small:  G430 MAX 5 Wood Tour 2.0 Chrome 65 S shaft

:ping-small: G430 MAX 4 Hybrid Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 S Shaft

:ping-small: G430 5i - PW :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: G430 45º & 50º :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: Glide Pro Forged 56º S-10° :truetemper: Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

:ping-small: S159 60° H-8° :truetemper: Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

:L.A.B.: DF3 :accra: shaft

Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ review

9 minutes ago, musicalmedicine said:

That’s awesome! With PXG offering everything in lefty variants, the customer service you’ve experienced, and their headquarters being a 15 minute drive from my house, they may have become a serious contender next time I’m looking to upgrade clubs.

It really has been great!  I was glad I got to go out to the CC and hit off actual grass today so he could really dial in my clubs.  

1 hour ago, Josh Parker said:

Long read ahead...

You met your fitter at the course!? Did you pay extra for this wonderful service?haha... gotta admit that I'm jealous of that. Glad to hear that the irons were hitting darts for you!

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

1 minute ago, FallenSaber said:

You met your fitter at the course!? Did you pay extra for this wonderful service?haha... gotta admit that I'm jealous of that. Glad to hear that the irons were hitting darts for you!

They hold fittings at one of the CC driving range. I originally wanted the outdoor fitting but it wasn't available.  We didn't play, although I'm sure he would go play a round. Haha. 

The round was at my home course this afternoon. 

That's still pretty awesome! Guess there's some benefit to not having a brick and mortar PXG location nearby!

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm